• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My problem with gamepass

Bryank75

Banned
Subscription gaming will always suck, this maybe the best of a bad lot (I'd still put PSNow slightly ahead but that could be my biases)
I wouldn't mind if Xbox wanted to go all streaming and PlayStation remained consoles with PSNow supplementing BC.
If Xbox think there are billions of gamers untapped out there.... go and chase them!

MiguelItUp

I think they'll get to a point where they do a better job of letting users know when a game is going to be added, and when it's going to be leaving before its gone. I honestly wasn't even aware titles were leaving, lol. But yeah, when it comes to subscription services, that's not out of the ordinary. Worse come to worse you have multiple paths you can take when something like that happens. Buy the game immediately, wait and buy it when it's on sale, or wait for it to eventually (maybe) come back to GP.

Royalboob

Neo Member
Welcome to the lease everything, own nothing, drip drip culture. This model works for some of you (lots of you
,even) , some of the time (most of the time), but it works for them all of the time. Keep suckling at the teet in exchange for a continual cash revenue - just don't run out of money or the fun tap will soon be switched off !

If I came into every Game Pass thread, I would be posting non-stop.

I've answered the things you claim I omitted, but since it takes too much effort to read you'll just repeat the same empty accusations but with more words. Yawn. Braindead fanboys always hurry to find a devil under every rock.

Play some videogames for once instead of crying when people don't like your Sam's Club / buffet / bulk purchase. I've expressed why I don't like subscriptions. so have others. Your position looks weak when you have to misrepresent, omit, or outright lie about Game Pass detractors to excuse the persecution complex.
You keep calling me a fanboy because you can't refute what I am saying. You still have nothing substantive to add other than some people don't like subscriptions.. which is fine. But the rest of your drama is baseless. I'm not making accusations about you trolling.. the quote is YOUR words, not mine. I'm also not ommitting or lying about anything, you made the claims, it is your burden to prove. Give me some examples that back up your claims of being locked in, the media being devalued with subscription services, or there being a reduction in quality. I can easily give you examples that say the opposite. Lets hear it.

And me go play some video games for once? Really? I have 1000 posts in 6 years on here you have 27000 in two.

Also, your Costco/Sam's club equivalence to Game pass is just dumb. They are apples and oranges. One is a membership to shop, the other is a service. I can't go into Costco and use all of their products for a low fee. A better comparison would be a gym membership where you use their equipment for a fee. You don't own their equipment, but you have access for a much smaller cost.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You keep calling me a fanboy because you can't refute what I am saying. You still have nothing substantive to add other than some people don't like subscriptions.. which is fine. But the rest of your drama is baseless. I'm not making accusations about you trolling.. the quote is YOUR words, not mine. I'm also not ommitting or lying about anything, you made the claims, it is your burden to prove. Give me some examples that back up your claims of being locked in, the media being devalued with subscription services, or there being a reduction in quality. I can easily give you examples that say the opposite. Lets hear it.

And me go play some video games for once? Really? I have 1000 posts in 6 years on here you have 27000 in two.

Also, your Costco/Sam's club equivalence to Game pass is just dumb. They are apples and oranges. One is a membership to shop, the other is a service. I can't go into Costco and use all of their products for a low fee. A better comparison would be a gym membership where you use their equipment for a fee. You don't own their equipment, but you have access for a much smaller cost.
My position is consistent across Netflix (which I cancelled awhile ago), PS+ (which I also cancelled), Stadia and Luna (which I mock), various MMOs (which are designed to suck your time), and consistent with my opinion on the devaluation of PC and mobile game markets. Prior to Netflix, I'd already stopped watching TV and picked a few shows/movies up on DVD instead. I've revised and refined this position for years prior to Xbox Game Pass existing, so my stance has very little to do with Xbox and Game Pass. I'm not going to CONTINUE repeating this and refering back to old posts when you clearly do not put in the effort to read it.

Apparently the persecution complex is so strong that my opinion MUST be based on Xbox. It's all about Xbox, even though they are late to the streaming / subscription party. Explaining that Sony soured me on PS+ is merely a DEFENSE in my goal of disparaging Xbox. 🤷‍♀️

All of this circles back to games as a product versus games as a service/commodity. I want high value games. I want games that command a high price. I tend to dislike market forces that make games a service/commodity, and I tend to appreciate market forces that add value / preserve the value of games as a singular product. I wouldn't expect this to be the ONLY way games are delivered to customers, but I have a preference as well as firsthand experience how the two delivery methods differ.

If calling me a fanboy is the best you got, then it looks like we have nothing further to discuss. Clutch your discounts and coupons. I'll be playing the games I want to play and ignoring the ones I don't. Since I don't need to subscription service to help me do this, maybe I really SHOULD be posting in every Game Pass thread, to let you geniuses know that YOU COULD SAVE EVEN MORE MONEY by watching trailers and deciding which games to buy and which games not to buy. Of course I have enough self-awareness to realize this would be incredibly obnoxious. I'm hoping the coupon-clippers get a clue someday instead of boxing against imaginary Sony Ponies.

Seketh

Neo Member
The problem with this thread is that it makes it seem as if Game Pass is being forced to users.

It isn't. You can buy an Xbox or own a PC and completely ignore Game Pass.

Just buy and own games as always.

Hezekiah

Banned
Then you're paying a premium for a curated service and end up paying closer to "full price" anyway. I'm not claiming the discounts are a problem. I'm describing how subscriptions work. A person subscribed to Game Pass who misses the window to get the game and/or misses the window to buy it is still outta luck. The whole point is to keep your subscription going. PS+ worked the same way. i cancelled PS+ for the same reason. It had discounts too but they weren't worth it to me. I'm a quality over quantity person. That isn't a slight against Xbox brand, but it is aimed at subs. Saving some money on purchases isn't worth being funneled into the games they want me to purchase.

It's like a "sale" at the clothing store or the grocery store, and the person with a hole in their pocket feels like they are "saving money" while they shell out hundreds. It's an old and time-proven marketing tactic.

You pay for the privilege of renting these games, and then you have the privilege again of paying above and beyond your subscription fee to "own" them at a "special discount price" (subsidized by your monthly fee), and the "ownership" won't matter for most people because you'll still be subscribed anyway.

In a few years we'll be getting all the same back-and-forth arguments about how "Game Pass just isn't worth the latest price hike" countered by "you don't understand, the value is so much better now, of course they needed to increase the price".

quote-the-thing-that-hath-been-it-is-that-which-shall-be-and-that-which-is-done-is-that-which-solomon-87-36-66.jpg
Yep, pretty much this. Where is the value in buying a game that was on the subscription service you were and still are paying for? People talk about how you get a 'discount' off games that you buy - it isn't a real discount because you're already forking out.

Only worth it if you play a ton of games, and aren't particularly fussy about what you play.

My position is consistent across Netflix (which I cancelled awhile ago), PS+ (which I also cancelled), Stadia and Luna (which I mock), various MMOs (which are designed to suck your time), and consistent with my opinion on the devaluation of PC and mobile game markets. Prior to Netflix, I'd already stopped watching TV and picked a few shows/movies up on DVD instead. I've revised and refined this position for years prior to Xbox Game Pass existing, so my stance has very little to do with Xbox and Game Pass. I'm not going to CONTINUE repeating this and refering back to old posts when you clearly do not put in the effort to read it.

Apparently the persecution complex is so strong that my opinion MUST be based on Xbox. It's all about Xbox, even though they are late to the streaming / subscription party. Explaining that Sony soured me on PS+ is merely a DEFENSE in my goal of disparaging Xbox. 🤷‍♀️

All of this circles back to games as a product versus games as a service/commodity. I want high value games. I want games that command a high price. I tend to dislike market forces that make games a service/commodity, and I tend to appreciate market forces that add value / preserve the value of games as a singular product. I wouldn't expect this to be the ONLY way games are delivered to customers, but I have a preference as well as firsthand experience how the two delivery methods differ.

If calling me a fanboy is the best you got, then it looks like we have nothing further to discuss. Clutch your discounts and coupons. I'll be playing the games I want to play and ignoring the ones I don't. Since I don't need to subscription service to help me do this, maybe I really SHOULD be posting in every Game Pass thread, to let you geniuses know that YOU COULD SAVE EVEN MORE MONEY by watching trailers and deciding which games to buy and which games not to buy. Of course I have enough self-awareness to realize this would be incredibly obnoxious. I'm hoping the coupon-clippers get a clue someday instead of boxing against imaginary Sony Ponies.
Sigh.... The title of this thread is literally "My Problem with Gamepass". The thread implies the discussion revolves around Game Pass and all your posts (which I have read) come back to the same buffet style of gaming that you keep referencing, which aligns with the title. I'm not making a stretch.

Secondly you are the one throwing the fanboy tag out, not me. Read your own posts. I game on both Xbox and PS4 and the only PS I didn't own was a PS2. So I don't have any allegiance to either plastic box. I just don't have a tolerance for bullshit or chronic misinformation.

My problem with your value argument is that it is based on rhetoric. Instead of reexplaining your position... Again... Give me some examples of where these subscription based services have diminished quality of media, especially as a whole. Because I can give you plenty of examples where the opposite occurs. Like I said the burden falls on you to support your claims.

I get you don't like subscriptions... hooray for you, that has been established. But instead of putting out walls of texts that literally say nothing of substance, put your money where your mouth is and back up your claims. What subscription based services devalue their media as a whole? What services lock you in and prevent you from using other services or purchasing media? Let's hear it

Hezekiah

Banned
Sounds like the service isn't for you and that's OK. Gamepass has given me options to play games I never would have considered. I like that I can buy the games I really like for a discount and none of that takes away from my ability to go to a store and buy a physical copy too. There just really isn't anything to complain about and it explains why the service subs keep going up. Options are good for gamers and I'm glad MS is providing those options. If you or anyone prefers to just drop $70 on title after title that option exists for you too. It's a win/win.
Games aren't even $70 yet, and they have this thing called sales - many people pay nowhere near the MSRP 🙄.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sigh.... The title of this thread is literally "My Problem with Gamepass". The thread implies the discussion revolves around Game Pass and all your posts (which I have read) come back to the same buffet style of gaming that you keep referencing, which aligns with the title. I'm not making a stretch.

Secondly you are the one throwing the fanboy tag out, not me. Read your own posts. I game on both Xbox and PS4 and the only PS I didn't own was a PS2. So I don't have any allegiance to either plastic box. I just don't have a tolerance for bullshit or chronic misinformation.

My problem with your value argument is that it is based on rhetoric. Instead of reexplaining your position... Again... Give me some examples of where these subscription based services have diminished quality of media, especially as a whole. Because I can give you plenty of examples where the opposite occurs. Like I said the burden falls on you to support your claims.

I get you don't like subscriptions... hooray for you, that has been established. But instead of putting out walls of texts that literally say nothing of substance, put your money where your mouth is and back up your claims. What subscription based services devalue their media as a whole? What services lock you in and prevent you from using other services or purchasing media? Let's hear it
but why won't you answer my s-specific hypotheticals?

I've literally given firsthand experience and firsthand examples, while also explaining what I mean when I say they devalue their media, not only in reply to you directly but generally. What else can I furnish for you? Do you need me to go back through all my old posts and re-link them for you?

Show some good faith and you'll get it in return. You coupon-clippers are just haranguing anyone who doesn't express adoration for the sub. You sound like a boomer angrily explaining why Wal Mart is fine for the market, "it's not hurting anyone, and I can get bulk toilet paper", etc. even as people give you direct examples of how Wal Mart hurts the market. Methinks you just like shopping at Wal Mart.

scalman

my problem with game pass : i allready have or played all those games, why i need them then ? just buy new game instead . pay monthly play nothing ?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
my problem with game pass : i allready have or played all those games, why i need them then ? just buy new game instead . pay monthly play nothing ?
This complaint has been leveled against PS+ freebies and against the Switch Retro service (which doesn't even offer the option to buy), and it's why I gave up on PS+. At a certain point in the console's lifespan, after the loss leader strategies all run out, it stops being worth it because you're either waiting months/years until the game you want is "free"/discounted, or you bought it and then two years later it appears, which is useless to you. Then you realize that you probably overpaid over the course of the sub, punished for being stingy with your time. Should've listen to that inner FOMO voice!

Some will squeeze every drop of value out, and that's fine too.

scalman

same as i get next gen console to play this gen games ? what no i wont. happily will play them still then on pc.
i dont get it game pass, unless i would live un der rock and just now i crawled into light and i duno any games so i wanna play them all , then yes maybe it makes sense to pay monthly and play those, but i allready played all i wanted. and i have them i own them. what games pass can still give me ?
you want to play older games on game pass ? well they on deals anyway like for half price or even cheaper like for $10-15, again why then pay and own nothing on game pass ?

So with GamePass, if you have built a library of games you want to play...they can remove it at any time, even if you've got the last boss fight to finish the game. Much like Netflix.

I'm not surprised, it's like any subscription model - but I wonder.. who's the intended audience of GP here?

Why not just buy/own the games you want to play without risk of someone swiping it away from you?

Does PS Now work in the same way too?

So with GamePass, if you have built a library of games you want to play...they can remove it at any time, even if you've got the last boss fight to finish the game. Much like Netflix.

I'm not surprised, it's like any subscription model - but I wonder.. who's the intended audience of GP here?

You can play all the games on the catalog, and if you want to buy it, you get a sizable discount. You don't lose those games, as you forever own them.

Why not just buy/own the games you want to play without risk of someone swiping it away from you?
You can, and those games don't get swiped away.

GHG

Yes I does, which why (dependant on your playing habits), you're better off just buying the games you want outright and then playing them at your own pace.

If it's a shorter game you enjoy (under 10 hours for me) then gamepass can be fine and you should be able to get through it comfortably within a couple of weeks. But for me personally if I'm playing something longer than that I tend to dip in and out of it along with a few other games.

If you really like some of these games you can buy it with 10% off if I'm not wrong

That's really not a big discount, at all. If you're not getting at least 20-25% off on all of your game purchases on PC then you're doing it wrong. And yes, that even includes day one purchases.

Grinchy

Banned
Let's say you started Red Dead like 6 weeks before it left. There was no warning yet. You've paid for that month, then the next month, the game leaves, but you can buy it for a discounted price.

Wow, you just saved nothing and actually paid more than if you just bought it somewhere on sale without ever paying any subscription.

I'm sure the sub is great for some people, but for others it's not a great deal. And to know that it's meant to not only rise in price but to become the norm just isn't appealing to those who already don't like it now.

pr0cs

If you play a game on a regular basis I don’t see why you wouldn’t just buy it outright.
Not sure if people are being purposely obtuse or what, gamepass was never sold as 'free games forever'. People need to treat it as an extended demo of a game. You either play it start to finish (and thus complete it before it leaves the service) or you play it for a bit and decide if you want to keep it and buy it outright so you own it indefinitely.
It's not rocket science, I agree with you but this thread shows a lot of people don't have a clue what gamepass really is.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I think gamepass it's better for

Testing pc performance
Trying new games, mainly Indies that pop up on the services
Beat short AAA games like RE7.
Trying new genres outside of your comfort zone.

Reactions: GHG
but why won't you answer my s-specific hypotheticals?

I've literally given firsthand experience and firsthand examples, while also explaining what I mean when I say they devalue their media, not only in reply to you directly but generally. What else can I furnish for you? Do you need me to go back through all my old posts and re-link them for you?

Show some good faith and you'll get it in return. You coupon-clippers are just haranguing anyone who doesn't express adoration for the sub. You sound like a boomer angrily explaining why Wal Mart is fine for the market, "it's not hurting anyone, and I can get bulk toilet paper", etc. even as people give you direct examples of how Wal Mart hurts the market. Methinks you just like shopping at Wal Mart.
Lol. So you are still talking around it. The claims I am asking you to substantiate are not mine.. they are yours. So this is another post without any substance to distract from the fact that your rhetoric are baseless.

No I don't need you to re link your claims. I am asking you to back them up with facts, which you see to be dancing around.

Finally, you have now called me a fanboy, coupon clipper, and a boomer. For being a self-proclaimed critical thinker, I would expect more. If you think I'm such a one sided fanboy I'd be happy to compare games played or owned anytime. Pick your platform.

ZZZZ

I understand your concerns, but i think it's too early to believe GamePass will have the same fate as Netflix.
Games usually keeps a costumer engaged for longer than a movie or a series.
Games are usually more expensive to purchase than a movie or a series.
Games and movies generally cost around the same amount of $ to make.
So while Netflix needs to release multiple series, movies every month to keep their costumers engage, Gamepass could do the same with far less.

Let me give you an example of what it would work for me.
If Microsoft puts 1 game of the year contender every 2-3 months, it would be enough to keep me subscribed all year long, especially with single games costing around 70$ and consoles at 500$.

Let's say the ideal scenario would be they release one game of the year contender every 2 months, the rumors is that Cyberpunk is going to end up costing around 220M after you add everything including marketing, that'd be 110M every month, if they reach 50-100 million subscribers at around 10$ in average, i don't see why something like this wouldn't be possible.

Of course, they could just flood the thing with garbage games instead, but i've decided to stay positive.

Let's say you started Red Dead like 6 weeks before it left. There was no warning yet. You've paid for that month, then the next month, the game leaves, but you can buy it for a discounted price.

Wow, you just saved nothing and actually paid more than if you just bought it somewhere on sale without ever paying any subscription.

I'm sure the sub is great for some people, but for others it's not a great deal. And to know that it's meant to not only rise in price but to become the norm just isn't appealing to those who already don't like it now.
I don't think that anybody will proclaim that any service meets everybody's needs or wants. To me the issue is when people act like it is the apocalypse of gaming and will end gaming as we know it. It just comes off as needless trolling. I don't have cable tv but it doesn't mean it isn't appealing to millions who still subscribe to it.

As for the RDR2 thing. I get it.. but... You don't subscribe to a service to play one game, just like I don't subscribe to netflix for one show. In those instances it's cheaper to just purchase the game outright. The other debate is while RDR2 may have costs you more in the long run you still have access to 100+ games. Its not like access to the service stops one game leaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom