• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Luna game streaming service ...

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
jyjijVE.jpg

How long will early access pricing for Luna+ last?
$5.99/month introductory pricing is only available during Luna early access. Your Luna+ subscription will renew at the applicable monthly subscription price after the Luna early access period is over. We will notify you at least 30 days in advance of the end of early access to ensure you are informed of the new monthly subscription price, along with information on how to manage your subscription. You may cancel your subscription at any time.

Quasicat

Interesting that Amazon is supporting iOS via a web app, I’ll probably try this out just to see how advanced web apps can be on iOS.
I honestly figured that this would be how Stadia and GamePass would beat the system. Running Stadia through Chrome or GamePass through Edge would get around Apple’s App Store crap.

This is what Stadia should have started as. I am interested to see pricing solidified as this could sway some people onto the service versus how Google poorly setup the base subscription plus pay for games.

Yoda

Aggressive pricing, I'm skeptical they can do better than Stadia w/latency and the latency there isn't acceptable for a lot of games.

semicool

Banned
"In addition to Luna+, Amazon is partnering with Ubisoft to create a bespoke, publisher-specific cloud gaming channel, which sounds like it will have its own separate subscription fee."

Eurogamer

Subscription on top of subscription packages......hard pass

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nintendo took a different route total. "Switched" to portable to take advantage of the growing mobile market in Japan. Sony is trying to put a band aid on a broken bone, money hatting games for a year when they should be investing that capital into streaming or they gonna get done dirty in the coming years.

Don't want Sony to become blockbuster of video games do we?

Console gaming isn't a broken bone though. They are literally making the most profit of all time (in Sony's history) right now. Prove to me that console gaming is dying. You have to prove there's THAT much demand for streaming video games.

Kerotan

I just pray Amazon don't play 50BN buying up the likes of Take Two, Capcom, Ubisoft etc. This could get messy.

Everyone knows Bethesda were bought because Sony were destroying them on the gaming front but there's know doubt MS probably feared Apple, Google, Facebook or Amazon might have bought Bethesda first. Personally I'd take MS buying them over the others.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Console gaming isn't a broken bone though. They are literally making the most profit of all time (in Sony's history) right now. Prove to me that console gaming is dying. You have to prove there's THAT much demand for streaming video games.

“right now”. At the begining of this gen every one said digital gaming wouldn’t take off now both MS and Sony have digital only consoles. Not hard to see streaming will be the next step. Still got a few years before it takes off big time, tech still needs work. While MS, Google and Amazon are investing in it Sony is being complacent and is at a risk of either being left behind or absorb by one of the big boys (even on record throwing in with MS for some streaming tech). Could be part of game pass next next gen ;)

Skifi28

Not hard to see streaming will be the next step.

Streaming is the problem to a solution that already exists. Carving its own market space? Sure, I can see that. There are certainly people interested in gaming without being serious enough to invest in a console/PC. But it'll be a really hard sell to people already into gaming in order to replace what's already here.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Streaming is the problem to a solution that already exists. Carving its own market space? Sure, I can see that. There are certainly people interested in gaming without being serious enough to invest in a console/PC. But it'll be a really hard sell to people already into gaming in order to replace what's already here.

I can see that, there will always be enthusiasts that need a box. Sony can always be the big fish in the small pond when everyone else has moved to a vast ocean.

Skifi28

I can see that, there will always be enthusiasts that need a box. Sony can always be the big fish in the small pond when everyone else has moved to a vast ocean.

I don't know about that, Sony has been doing streaming way before MS or Stadia or Amazon.

DavidGzz

4k streaming would make me reach my cap insanely fast so Game Pass for me until I can get internet with no cap.

yurinka

Well, finally PS Now is going to have a serious competitor to be the market leader.
Sony are the market leader in game streaming too.

Last edited:

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
So at what point after a successful entry into the industry has been made by one of these trillion dollar companies, do they say sod it and buy out either Sony or Nintendo and really turn this thing on its head?

That aside, it's been coming for a while, and if Amazon mean business, they won't mess around. In one way im excited as its a big influx of investment and interest in the industry as a whole, on the other hand im worried it will mean not only the end of physical media, which is inevitable of course, but even the end of owning the experience you enjoy just a few years down the line.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
“right now”. At the begining of this gen every one said digital gaming wouldn’t take off now both MS and Sony have digital only consoles. Not hard to see streaming will be the next step. Still got a few years before it takes off big time, tech still needs work. While MS, Google and Amazon are investing in it Sony is being complacent and is at a risk of either being left behind or absorb by one of the big boys (even on record throwing in with MS for some streaming tech). Could be part of game pass next next gen ;)

Sony signed a deal to work with MS on their Azure servers. They did this late last year I believe. Sony knows that streaming will be "a part" of the future. They started stream video games 4 years ago you know.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
For me, its interesting only for casual gaming, but if they deliver "publisher channels" for $10 or less per month I can see it being a lot more popular than stadia.
The whole free games with gold/ps plus model that stadia had was not good enough, and it took way too long to add the free games to the sub.

Also they didn't have nearly enough games and selling them for $50-60 was silly. To make things worse, the controlller was too much and it didn't have any distribution/ sales presence. If Amazon actually gets this into stores, and adds regular andriod tv devices, it has a much better shot. Honestly I have no idea what Google was thinking.

Strange timing though to launch this against 3 new consoles and oculus rift.

Last edited:
Is this related to all the free games I've been adding to my Twitch account all these years and not knowing what to do with?

Hmmm, I wonder if MS ditching mixer is somehow tied to this. :pie_thinking:

T-Cake

I’m actually looking forward to the day when there’s no need to buy expensive hardware and you can just concentrate on which games to play.

I also like the idea of publisher channels like TV packages. You don’t have to subscribe to them all at once but change them about each month or two

It’s the Google Stadia model o don’t like where you have to buy games at full price.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's still to early for a system that only does streaming. That's why Sony's and Microsoft's solutions works best for the moment. Give the possibility for streaming but keep consoles as your main product as long as your internet speed isn't good enough to support proper streaming.

I hope everyone is now starting to understand the real reason that MS bought Zenimax.

There's now Game Pass, PS Now, Stadia, Luna, Geforce Now, EA Whatever, and apparently an upcoming Apple service.

Oh, and Tencent, that Chinese company that eclipses everyone else, are also preparing their own solution.

Still think that Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout won't launch on PS5? All MS are doing here is limiting which services will let you play them as part of your subscription.

Leyasu

Banned
The big blue whale in the room hanging from the ceiling waiting to drop is those 150m PRIME subscribers, and how Amazon can add Luna to that and instantly gain an enormous market.

The potential customers from PRIME would instantly given them mammoth leverage with publishers and devs to put their games on their service.
Still gotta have the content to make it worthwhile.

It should be clear now why microsoft splurged for Zenimax

What's this trend to push for cloud gaming? Why? Can't people just sit at home, switch on their tvs, plus their favorite Xbox, Switch and PlayStation play games and spend the day like every other person?

Leyasu

Banned
What's this trend to push for cloud gaming? Why? Can't people just sit at home, switch on their tvs, plus their favorite Xbox, Switch and PlayStation play games and spend the day like every other person?

Traditional gaming will always be there. Cloud gaming is the next level in mobile gaming... Or mobile gaming evolved.

Combine it with a subscription service, and having a shed load of your own content for it, is a recipe for big bucks. That is why new players are entering the fray.

Top Bottom