• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My problem with gamepass

No, I was being sarcastic because the finer points of people who have problems with Game Pass were getting handwaved by people saying "but it's just an option. What's the problem with options? Do you hate coupons or something?". This is usually what happens whenever Game Pass is brought up, so eventually it's better to poke fun until people realize they're bragging about a Sam's Club card.
So you're trolling the thread?

Katajx

Gold Member
It’s my opinion they would still like you to buy these games.

It’s an option for you to try out something you missed or to try before you buy to see if it’s something you want to hold onto.

For me It’s like the evolution of game rentals with the convenience of digital delivery.

Nah. You countered my concerns about Microsoft "devaluing the market and playing price wars" by mentioning they bought Zenimax and therefore weren't devaluing anything. This made it clear we're not on the same page and are talking past one another. If you saved the snark like you save on Game Pass Ultimate™ Subscription Service then you wouldn't be bothered by people expressing doubts based on historical trends. Thankfully you have that power.
It's hard to take any of your 'concerns' seriously when you don't make similar arguments against Google's Stadia, Amazon's Luna and Sony's PSNow. What is it about Gamepass arguably the most consumer friendly of all the aforementioned options that you have a problem with? What historical trends is MS responsible for that Sony or Amazon or Google aren't also contributing to? Do you think Netflix is 'devaluing' movies despite the fact that they offer no option to purchase the movies you'd like to keep. How is MS the only one 'devaluing' games when Sony has TONs more games on PSNow? I'm certain you'll be complaining about them too right? I'm not bothered by a legitimate concern about a legitimate problem you just haven't presented one yet. Perhaps you just don't like MS. It's cool vote with your wallet and don't buy their products or services. You have THAT power too!

Brofist

It's hard to take any of your 'concerns' seriously when you don't make similar arguments against Google's Stadia, Amazon's Luna and Sony's PSNow. What is it about Gamepass arguably the most consumer friendly of all the aforementioned options that you have a problem with? What historical trends is MS responsible for that Sony or Amazon or Google aren't also contributing to? Do you think Netflix is 'devaluing' movies despite the fact that they offer no option to purchase the movies you'd like to keep. How is MS the only one 'devaluing' games when Sony has TONs more games on PSNow? I'm certain you'll be complaining about them too right? I'm not bothered by a legitimate concern about a legitimate problem you just haven't presented one yet. Perhaps you just don't like MS. It's cool vote with your wallet and don't buy their products or services. You have THAT power too!

All the while throwing out some nonsensical comparisons to Costco and Sam's Club for no reason too. Maybe he thinks Costco ruined shopping for everyone too

He said it some posts back that his agenda is really to counter the positive take by fans of the service with doubt because what goes around comes around. He is intentionally trying to paint the service in a poor light without any substantive argument against it except some people don't like subscriptions. I did see that he did jump back on the game pass devaluing games baseless, bullshit argument. Which I'm love to see some instances where this is a factual claim. In fact I'd love to see mods treat this claim the same way they treat the 9.2TF claim.

JLB

Banned
That's their business model, remove the games while you're in the middle of it, so you have to buy it on their overpriced store to keep the save file.

Then Im hacking the shit out of their business model cause Ive finished plenty of games and never happened that to me. Subd to GP since day one.

Nico_D

So are people saying that it is ok to lend a game to a friend, let him have it a couple of days and then take it away and tell them to buy their own? What if you'd charged him for those couple of days?

Hostile_18

Banned
Oddly this makes the service MORE appealing to me. That's because I don't like renting all my games and it gives me incentive to buy the very best ones after I've tried them on Gamepass (likely months later at a discount since I've already played through it).

Gandih42

Games leaving Game Pass is the reason I'm not interested in it, personally. Although the fact that you can buy the games at a discount makes up for it quite a bit.

I think the service is amazing value, especially if you have to prioritize the money you have available for gaming. In my case time is much more important, so being able to play exactly the game I want when I want, matters more.

As many have pointed out, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with games leaving. It's part of the business model and seems very transparent. Perhaps it just means it's not for you OP? Just like it ain't for me.

Justin9mm

Gamepass does not suit everybody's play style.

There are some good longer games that people don't play through from start to finish at one time without playing anything else. The best example is RDR2, this is not a short game and the time period it was up in Gamepass was not long enough for a lot of people.

And the discount purchase price is laughable, you could buy it physically for like half of the offered discounted price in a store.

Just like the subscription service of Netflix, there is a lot of shit on Gamepass.

A hardcore gamer needs more than Gamepass and if it was so desirable already, MS wouldn't be buying studios like Bethesda to try and fill it with more AAA games. It's lacking a little especially since some countries pay quite a bit for Gamepass.

And for third party developers gamepass is not a sustainable business model for the future of gaming development. Developers need to make profit to continue making games, they aren't going to get that from Gamepass.

I can't see this type of service ever taking over the gaming industry in the foreseeable future.

The hype of Gamepass is a little overrated. And yes I do have Gamepass myself.

Hestar69

My problem with game pass is some games leave pretty fast (RDR2 was like 3 months?) and i wish they gave you a month's notice before hand instead of two weeks.

Tiamat2san

Only MS games are there « forever »
the rest comes and goes.
some games are here for 6 months, some for more.
And you can buy a game if you want to keep it.
i bought more than 10 that I wouldn’t have even tried without gamepass since the beginning .

Eliciel

So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

• NBA 2K20 (leaving September 1st, 2020)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (leaving September 7th, 2020)
  • Gonner: Blueberry Edition (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Jump Force (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Bad North (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Dishonored 2 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Westerado: Double Barreled (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee (leaving September 30th, 2020)
Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.

From your list I have played only one game and that is Dishonored 2. That is a testimony to my even stricter problem with GamesPass and I have known for a long time now that the GamesPass principle is not the right for me. I am very selective on the content I play, because I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore and If I reserve time for a game it lasts for a very long time as I am not playing many hours a day.

E.g. Destiny 2 Beyond Light is a game I will play hundreds of hours and that will take me many months and by the end of the day it is a game I will be better of owning than "leasing", because there is no other game I am playing during that time and buying it one time is much more meaningful to my playstyle than leasing hundreds or even thousands of game.

Last edited:

alienator

Owning a gamepass is something else than owning a Game.

Basically, u own nothing on gp. and if they take it away, though luck, u can buy it. (essentially u are paying to play a game , and pay again to buy/own it if it leaves the service.)

Publishers used to put demos of games online for free to try (oh glorious xblox live trials..) now they can earn money to let u try the game on gp, and eventually buy it anyways.

Its a great business model with double income coz most people are blinded by "omg i have 150+ games".... but reality is, u got nothing and u have to pay continously to get acces to them.
That one day u dont pay they take everything away from u, and u end up with nothing. Exept with a lousy feeling of not owning anything and eventually start buying those games u liked or continue subbing on gp. An endless circle of money. Can u imagine those publisherss that put up demos online for free? haha those crazy people, we can make money from that.

Oh and we start raising those prices of the sub too soon while we are at it. Put up tons of "simple" MP orientated GAAS games with all kinds of mt's to milk more money.

As u can read im not a big fan of subs and passes in general. So call me old fashioned where i rather pay 60$ for one game to own physically than to pay 60$ for a bunch of games i dont own.

So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

• NBA 2K20 (leaving September 1st, 2020)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (leaving September 7th, 2020)
  • Gonner: Blueberry Edition (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Jump Force (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Bad North (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Dishonored 2 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Westerado: Double Barreled (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee (leaving September 30th, 2020)
Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.

They give you about a 2 week heads up which even for someone with limited time should be enough to finish even a long SP story. Now obviously it's not realistic (maybe for someone who doesn't do anything other than playing games) to finish 10 games in 2 weeks. lol Sorry but if you're playing all of them at once then I don't know what to tell you. Did you really expect them to stay on Gamepass forever? New games coming to the service means there will be games exiting as well. I honestly can't see how this makes the service any less good...

Plus if you really enjoyed those games, there's nothing stopping you from buying them. I have Gamepass and still buy games. It's the power of choice, we all win.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
He said it some posts back that his agenda is really to counter the positive take by fans of the service with doubt because what goes around comes around. He is intentionally trying to paint the service in a poor light without any substantive argument against it except some people don't like subscriptions. I did see that he did jump back on the game pass devaluing games baseless, bullshit argument. Which I'm love to see some instances where this is a factual claim. In fact I'd love to see mods treat this claim the same way they treat the 9.2TF claim.
You fanboys are sad. I explained my reasons by explaining how PS+ was piss, and if you look back through my history you can see that I mocked Stadia and Luna too. I don't owe you brainlets an explanation if you aren't going to credit me for my own words.

Of course, it's easier to cry victim and huddle under your persecution complex blanket than to use critical thinking.

I keep a spreadsheet and highlight 6 month and 1 year intervals from now so I know what will be leaving soon. It's pretty accurate too. I still miss a lot but that's my fault.

Bankai

My ONLY problem with gamepass is the fact that I don't own the games.

It's just like with Netflix: you're 100% dependent on what's on offer. Phil (yes, he doesn it himself) deletes a game from Gamepass? Tough luck, its gone. When I buy a game, it's mine and I can play it no matter what (unless it's online, then servers come into play).

Other than that Gamepass rules and the value is insanely high.

Teslerum

I mean, yeah its a subscription service?

Yes, its a bit annoying, but it's easy enough to plan your games around that (It's not like you don't get a proper warning). If you want the additional security of ownership you will still have to make an actual purchase.

The only bad thing I see here is to keep in mind that subscription ONLY models would be bad and something that needs to be avoided.

Last edited:

GHG

Oh no muh coupons.

If anything, "what goes around comes around" after the non-stop astroturfing for Game Pass and What A Great Deal It Is, amirite Xbox fans?

Some people think subscriptions are a ripoff. You're welcome to keep subscribing. Simple as that. You guys that spend time bragging about your Sam's Club card and your Costco membership is absolutely pointless.

What's interesting is:
  • Humble bundle used to dish out a ton of high quality titles on a monthly basis for a subscription fee, better yet you own the games
  • Origin Access was around before gamepass and for a while it was arguably the better service in terms of the quality of games that were available
Did any of the people that shill for gamepass also shill for these services and mention it in every post/thread possible? No, of course not.

Did anyone? No. Those of us enjoying those services would just do so and if there was anything to be said about the service it would be discussed in the specific threads.

With the way that some people are going on you would be led to believe gamepass is the first service of it's kind, the best thing since sliced bread. I had no idea purchasing games was such a burden for some people. Slap certain companies logos and branding on something and it's fascinating what people will start doing on behalf of said company.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Bro, it's costing me 1.35€ a month (because I'm sharing it with someone else, and so can everyone). Whatever your misgivings are they are all irrelevant. Even if it were only MS studios output on it it would still be more than worth it.

Last edited:

IDappa

People carry on how they buy the games they want and then get disappointed the games they play are leaving a sub service.

Wtf am I reading, gamepass is acting as advertised you get to play the selection of games on the service knowing that they will leave eventually, they offer a discount to purchase said games if you want to own them. It's your own fault if you don't buy them.. where's that Jackie Chan scratching head meme when you need it.

CeeJay

Again not my fault life gets in the way and I don't have time to finish them
I'm not one to victim blame but how the hell is this not entirely down to you and your own choices? Games are normally on there for a year, manage your time so you don't miss out on games you want to play? If there are too many games on there that you want to play and there is not enough time to fit them all in then buy the ones you don't get to play and add them to your ever growing backlog or make some tough choices and accept you can't play everything.

I think that is the problem.

With luck you pay only the 13€ month and get games you want.

Or at worst

You pay 13€ month + 70€ for games you want to play on launch + 10-70€ for games that are not in the pass

So in the long run you maybe save money, or pay extra.

It is literally the same with netflix, pay 13€ month and 80% of the time stuff I wanna see isnt there, as after other services they lost like half of the stuff and we already have

Finland
339 series
1757 movies

United States
1326 series
4339 movies

If Netflix can fuck us up by offering tiny amount vs USA, so can Microsoft

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
people want “the Netflix of games” but stuff leaves Netflix all the time. It’s not like there is a permanent library

as long as you don’t own the games and just rent them the you are entirely at their mercy
No no no, you don't understand that in addition to paying Game Pass fee, you can ALSO spend extra to buy the game at a discount. How can you not see the value?!?

They're just the mobile-gaming whales of the console market. Daddy please let me chug more DLC too.
If you enjoyed the game and weren't done with it why not buy it. Most of these are pretty cheap now anyway
Why not evaluate the game and then buy it or don't buy it? Why pay for a curated, narrower range of games instead of just doing research (costs $0 per month) and picking and choosing?

The idea that Game Pass "opens up the horizon for exploring all sorts of new games" makes it sound like watching footage on YouTube is too hard for them.

This sub is gonna feast on FOMO gamers like the mobile-whales they are. Spend money to play games during the launch window, then spend more money to keep it if you like it, which naturally takes time away from trying the other games added to the sub, which incentivizes you to invest more time to justify the sub before those other new games are removed, and then the sub is less about the "free" games and more about taking advantage of the "discounts" because you're not playing the new games as often, etc etc (<-- this is my personal experience with PS+)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the point was that you get all of these amazing games for free for a minimal monthly payment. Now it's a limited rent?
For some games, yes. Does every movie or TV series stay on Netflix?

You fanboys are sad. I explained my reasons by explaining how PS+ was piss, and if you look back through my history you can see that I mocked Stadia and Luna too. I don't owe you brainlets an explanation if you aren't going to credit me for my own words.

Of course, it's easier to cry victim and huddle under your persecution complex blanket than to use critical thinking.

If anything, "what goes around comes around" after the non-stop astroturfing for Game Pass and What A Great Deal It Is, amirite Xbox fans?

Lol. You are calling me a fanboy because I can see through your transparent bullshit. Your words speak for themselves. You criticize PS Plus as an effort to appear objective but your own words are what I am citing. So save the rhetoric for somebody else.

Secondly you aren't bringing anything of substance to the argument. You dislike subscription services but don't see the common sense argument of "then don't subscribe to them" as having any merit. Subscriptions require membership to survive and if people don't sign up, the service won't financially viable or they will have to improve it to attract more subscribers. It is the simplest solution to your issue.

The problem I have is you, and others like you, come into every one of the gamepass related threads to cry about how it's going to ruin the industry, devalue games, reduce quality, lock you in, hold you hostage, slap your mother, ect,ect... Yet you can't provide any sustantive proof of this even being a potential. Show me any subscription service that doesn't have a competitor, or forces you to be a part of it. Give me examples where subscription services haven't been forced to put out higher quality products instead of lower quality. Almost every worthwhile television series over the last 5-10 years have been products of subscription services or premium services.

You want me to take your conversation as actual "critical thinking", then provide something other than the same stupid fear mongering tactics that 20 other regular gamepass thread trolls use. Show me the fucking receipts. Show me examples of where subscription based services have done the things you are so "concerned" about. Because at this point you aren't providing anything other than subscriptions are bad. The reality is tens of millions of people find value in different subscription based services and value is in the eye of the beholder.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Lol. You are calling me a fanboy because I can see through your transparent bullshit. Your words speak for themselves. You criticize PS Plus as an effort to appear objective but your own words are what I am citing. So save the rhetoric for somebody else.

Secondly you aren't bringing anything of substance to the argument. You dislike subscription services but don't see the common sense argument of "then don't subscribe to them" as having any merit. Subscriptions require membership to survive and if people don't sign up, the service won't financially viable or they will have to improve it to attract more subscribers. It is the simplest solution to your issue.

The problem I have is you, and others like you, come into every one of the gamepass related threads to cry about how it's going to ruin the industry, devalue games, reduce quality, lock you in, hold you hostage, slap your mother, ect,ect... Yet you can't provide any sustantive proof of this even being a potential. Show me any subscription service that doesn't have a competitor, or forces you to be a part of it. Give me examples where subscription services haven't been forced to put out higher quality products instead of lower quality. Almost every worthwhile television series over the last 5-10 years have been products of subscription services or premium services.

You want me to take your conversation as actual "critical thinking", then provide something other than the same stupid fear mongering tactics that 20 other regular gamepass thread trolls use. Show me the fucking receipts. Show me examples of where subscription based services have done the things you are so "concerned" about. Because at this point you aren't providing anything other than subscriptions are bad. The reality is tens of millions of people find value in different subscription based services and value is in the eye of the beholder.
If I came into every Game Pass thread, I would be posting non-stop.

I've answered the things you claim I omitted, but since it takes too much effort to read you'll just repeat the same empty accusations but with more words. Yawn. Braindead fanboys always hurry to find a devil under every rock.

Play some videogames for once instead of crying when people don't like your Sam's Club / buffet / bulk purchase. I've expressed why I don't like subscriptions. so have others. Your position looks weak when you have to misrepresent, omit, or outright lie about Game Pass detractors to excuse the persecution complex.

Top Bottom