• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My problem with gamepass

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well at the end of the day anyone subscribed to gamepass still had the option to buy. So I see no issue until they are exclusive to GP. Having options is what’s great. Not to mention getting a discount if you ever considered buying. Not sure how that’s a problem.
Then you're paying a premium for a curated service and end up paying closer to "full price" anyway. I'm not claiming the discounts are a problem. I'm describing how subscriptions work. A person subscribed to Game Pass who misses the window to get the game and/or misses the window to buy it is still outta luck. The whole point is to keep your subscription going. PS+ worked the same way. i cancelled PS+ for the same reason. It had discounts too but they weren't worth it to me. I'm a quality over quantity person. That isn't a slight against Xbox brand, but it is aimed at subs. Saving some money on purchases isn't worth being funneled into the games they want me to purchase.

It's like a "sale" at the clothing store or the grocery store, and the person with a hole in their pocket feels like they are "saving money" while they shell out hundreds. It's an old and time-proven marketing tactic.

You pay for the privilege of renting these games, and then you have the privilege again of paying above and beyond your subscription fee to "own" them at a "special discount price" (subsidized by your monthly fee), and the "ownership" won't matter for most people because you'll still be subscribed anyway.

In a few years we'll be getting all the same back-and-forth arguments about how "Game Pass just isn't worth the latest price hike" countered by "you don't understand, the value is so much better now, of course they needed to increase the price".

quote-the-thing-that-hath-been-it-is-that-which-shall-be-and-that-which-is-done-is-that-which-solomon-87-36-66.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
To contrast with OP's list, here are the games that were added to Game Pass in September:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 2 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Hotshot Racing (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 3 (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Destiny 2 expansions Forsaken, Shadowkeep (added September 22nd, 2020)
  • Night in the Woods (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Doom Eternal (added October 1st, 2020)
Neat!

MrFunSocks

Banned
So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

• NBA 2K20 (leaving September 1st, 2020)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (leaving September 7th, 2020)
  • Gonner: Blueberry Edition (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Jump Force (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Bad North (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Dishonored 2 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Westerado: Double Barreled (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee (leaving September 30th, 2020)
Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.
So play them......

They give you adequate warning that the games will be leaving Game Pass. They also give you a 20% discount to buy the game if you want to.

This is a nothing problem, it's your own making.

My point which I should have made clearer in the post is one day this will be the only way to get a game on a subscription-based service and having a game leave will be annoying

Ah so your point is bullshit, gotcha.

Last edited:
Understandable but this is where the good ole 20% discount comes in handy if you want to buy the game without hurting your digital wallet.

Batiman

Banned
Then you're paying a premium for a curated service and end up paying closer to "full price" anyway. I'm not claiming the discounts are a problem. I'm describing how subscriptions work. A person subscribed to Game Pass who misses the window to get the game and/or misses the window to buy it is still outta luck. The whole point is to keep your subscription going. PS+ worked the same way. i cancelled PS+ for the same reason. It had discounts too but they weren't worth it to me. I'm a quality over quantity person. That isn't a slight against Xbox brand, but it is aimed at subs. Saving some money on purchases isn't worth being funneled into the games they want me to purchase.

It's like a "sale" at the clothing store or the grocery store, and the person with a hole in their pocket feels like they are "saving money" while they shell out hundreds. It's an old and time-proven marketing tactic.

You pay for the privilege of renting these games, and then you have the privilege again of paying above and beyond your subscription fee to "own" them at a "special discount price" (subsidized by your monthly fee), and the "ownership" won't matter for most people because you'll still be subscribed anyway.

In a few years we'll be getting all the same back-and-forth arguments about how "Game Pass just isn't worth the latest price hike" countered by "you don't understand, the value is so much better now, of course they needed to increase the price".

quote-the-thing-that-hath-been-it-is-that-which-shall-be-and-that-which-is-done-is-that-which-solomon-87-36-66.jpg
The service is full of games that are great single player games so I’m not sure that quality over quantity comes from. It’s actually quality and quantity. Just look at the games on the service or were on the service and tell me they’re not some of the best games this gen.

It’s pretty obvious how these subscriptions work. Yes they’ll increase the price. As long as the quality goes up with it. People have the option to vote with their wallets and if the service isn’t for them they can purchase the game the normal way. And if they want a game they previously had while on the service, it’ll be cheaper by then anyway.

Also you’re not paying premium if you choose to buy, unless you subscribed for that specific game. Which goes against the whole point of GP

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
So play them......

They give you adequate warning that the games will be leaving Game Pass. They also give you a 20% discount to buy the game if you want to.

This is a nothing problem, it's your own making.

Ah so your point is bullshit, gotcha.

Again not my fault life gets in the way and I don't have time to finish them

I've seen a lot of those games on there for awhile now. I'm with the others, if you are in the middle of playing and like them so much, you should definitely buy them and support the makers.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This happens on the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime too. I guess the model with game pass specifically is that if you really like these games you can at least buy them, usually they are discounted too.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The service is full of games that are great single player games so I’m not sure that quality over quantity comes from. It’s actually quality and quantity. Just look at the games on the service or were on the service and tell me they’re not some of the best games this gen.

It’s pretty obvious how these subscriptions work. Yes they’ll increase the price. As long as the quality goes up with it. People have the option to vote with their wallets and if the service isn’t for them they can purchase the game the normal way. And if they want a game they previously had while on the service, it’ll be cheaper by then anyway.
When I said, "quality over quantity" I specified I'm not talking about Xbox, and I'm not talking about single player games, either.

I'll simply describe my own circumstances to avoid being misunderstood further.

I was an early PS+ subscriber when it came to PS3. I liked the free games and the background automation (I think saves and patches were a part of it). I added a Vita to the family and after that a Ps4, so PS+ was giving me games across three platforms. The backups on PS4, the remote play on PS4, and the "second controller" mode that turns any local game into a multiplayer game were the peak of PS+ for me. The "free" games and the online multiplayer were mostly a thing on the side.

What I noticed -- since I have been cutting back on overall purchases -- is that I would wait for months and months before I saw a PS+ game that I wanted on discount. Lots of the freebies weren't interesting to me, or I had already known about the game well in advance and bought the full version already (side note about Game Pass: this is an advantage because you get a lot of games Day One. It eliminates the issue of "oh I'll just wait for it to come to PS+").

So I decided it was dumb to pay for 3 or 4 or 5 months of PS+ without playing any of the freebies and without using the discount on anything, and without playing any of the PS+ games in my library. When I cancelled it, I barely noticed the games that vanished.

The value just wasn't there for me even though every year I would see articles about how PS+ subscribers got $1,200+ in downloads and $5,500 in coupons and discounts. So I cancelled and never looked back.

If I was a teenager who wanted to play a ton of games a year, it'd be a great value. But I prefer to be selective. Last year and this year I sunk 100+ hours into more games than I've ever done before, but that's also because I focused all my time on fewer than a dozen games.

Game Pass is a subscription service aimed at providing me the biggest all-you-can-eat buffet for the best value possible, the sort of place you visit after a football game to fill up.

But I know how to cook, and I'm content with choice steak sprinkled with salt and pepper.

semicool

Banned
So I've owned game pass for three months now and it's pretty good but now games I'm playing are leaving. Here's a list of games that are leaving just this month alone.

• NBA 2K20 (leaving September 1st, 2020)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (leaving September 7th, 2020)
  • Gonner: Blueberry Edition (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Jump Force (leaving September 15th, 2020)
  • Bad North (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Dishonored 2 (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Westerado: Double Barreled (leaving September 30th, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee (leaving September 30th, 2020)
Don't get me wrong the price is brilliant the service works in terms of downloading and playing games but like I said games do leave quite a bit.
#firstworldproblems

When I said, "quality over quantity" I specified I'm not talking about Xbox, and I'm not talking about single player games, either.

I'll simply describe my own circumstances to avoid being misunderstood further.
Sounds like the service isn't for you and that's OK. Gamepass has given me options to play games I never would have considered. I like that I can buy the games I really like for a discount and none of that takes away from my ability to go to a store and buy a physical copy too. There just really isn't anything to complain about and it explains why the service subs keep going up. Options are good for gamers and I'm glad MS is providing those options. If you or anyone prefers to just drop $70 on title after title that option exists for you too. It's a win/win.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sounds like the service isn't for you and that's OK. Gamepass has given me options to play games I never would have considered. I like that I can buy the games I really like for a discount and none of that takes away from my ability to go to a store and buy a physical copy too. There just really isn't anything to complain about and it explains why the service subs keep going up. Options are good for gamers and I'm glad MS is providing those options. If you or anyone prefers to just drop $70 on title after title that option exists for you too. It's a win/win.
I don't need to pat Game Pass on the head because it 'just isn't for me".

Subscriptions are bad. They funnel you toward purchases you wouldn't otherwise make and they keep you on the hook from month to month. "Quantity" and "value" mean nothing to me if the items on offer aren't what I want to play. Options are fine, no one is contesting that. The subject is an issue with one of these options and the flaws of that option. I don't think anyone is implying that the option should go away entirely simply at the suggestion of some forum-goers.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but I don't expect you will have the freedom to buy a physical copy on Xbox for much longer. Apparently there are games that get physical PS4 / Switch releases but not Xbox, even though it's available digitally for Xbox. Whether that's a hiccup or a sign of things to come, I don't know, but I'm not putting my game ownership in the hands of Microsoft. I'd happily buy disks from them, but they are instead playing price-wars in the market, devaluing games and trying to chase out competition by cash alone. It comes at the cost of physical, and that's pretty obvious.

Astral Dog

How many of those games are you currently in the middle of playing? In addition to a lot of this stuff being on sale fairly often, there is also a permanent 10% discount if you want to keep it forever.

Also LOL at Dishonored 2 leaving. It will definitely return.
I thought the discount was of 20%

DiegoAndrad

When I'm watching a series or a movie on Netflix, It doesn't get removed from the catalog while i'm watching, making me buy the full content again.

How can anyone think this is a good deal to consumers? They are basically forcing you to pay twice for a game. If I'm playing a game for 2 months on gamepass, that subscription already covers the cost of an old game on sale (the ones that are usually available on gamepass). And then it get's removed and I have to buy it again, making me spend twice. Maybe if you are on Xbox you don't realize it, but on PC the prices on Microsoft Store are significantly higher than on Steam and EGS, that discount amounts to nothing and if you choose to buy it elsewhere you don't have access to the save files, so you lose all your progress.

Last edited:

Fbh

yea they give you a heads up. This is leaving, finish the damn game! And you get a discount if you buy it from there. And the first party stuff will never leave which is great.

How long in advance is the heads up?

"Hey this is leaving in a month" and "hey this is leaving in a week!!!!!" is quite different.

When I'm watching a series or a movie on Netflix, It doesn't get removed from the catalog while i'm watching, making me buy the full content again.

How can anyone think this is a good deal to consumers? They are basically forcing you to pay twice for a game. If I'm playing a game for 2 months on gamepass, that subscription already covers the cost of an old game on sale (the ones that are usually available on gamepass). And then it get's removed and I have to buy it again, making me spend twice. Maybe if you are on Xbox you don't realize it, but on PC the prices on Microsoft Store are significantly higher than on Steam and EGS, that discount amounts to nothing and if you choose to buy it elsewhere you don't have access to the save files, so you lose all your progress.
Jesus.. I would think you guys would get tired of this. You aren't paying for a game twice, you are paying for access to 100+ games once, and purchasing the game if you want it. Secondly, if steam is cheaper buy it from steam, problem solved. I game on PC as well, and there are plenty of games that are cheaper through gamepass instead of steam. It just depends on what Steam has for sale, and how new the game is. The implication that you are "locked" in to any service is ridiculous and dishonest. Finally, if you don't believe the service is a good deal, don't subscribe to it. Simple as that. You guys that spending time bitching about a service you don't intend to use is absolutely pointless.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Jesus.. I would think you guys would get tired of this. You aren't paying for a game twice, you are paying for access to 100+ games once, and purchasing the game if you want it. Secondly, if steam is cheaper buy it from steam, problem solved. I game on PC as well, and there are plenty of games that are cheaper through gamepass instead of steam. It just depends on what Steam has for sale, and how new the game is. The implication that you are "locked" in to any service is ridiculous and dishonest. Finally, if you don't believe the service is a good deal, don't subscribe to it. Simple as that. You guys that spend time bitching about a service you don't intend to us is absolutely pointless.
Oh no muh coupons.

If anything, "what goes around comes around" after the non-stop astroturfing for Game Pass and What A Great Deal It Is, amirite Xbox fans?

Some people think subscriptions are a ripoff. You're welcome to keep subscribing. Simple as that. You guys that spend time bragging about your Sam's Club card and your Costco membership is absolutely pointless.

DiegoAndrad

How long in advance is the heads up?

"Hey this is leaving in a month" and "hey this is leaving in a week!!!!!" is quite different.

It's usually one to two weeks in advance. They should announce the removal date from the start, just like games on sale at Steam or EGS.

ZehDon

Gold Member
So, OPs problem is that they've found too many great games on Gamepass. A good problem to have.

If it really is such a massive loss to you, just buy the games. Unlike services like Netflix, purchasing the content to own it forever will always be an option. If I found a title on Gamepass that was just so incredible I couldn't bare the thought of losing it... then yeah, I'd buy it. The idea of Gamepass is to get you to play games you otherwise wouldn't. Sounds to me like its working, but OP thought Gamepass was designed to replace the very concept of game ownership as a whole, instead of acting like an all access pass to your favourite video game arcade.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Play the games a week before they leave the service then, you've had a year to finish some of those titles. Stop trying to cherry pick faults of having to many great games to play like its a bad thing.

DiegoAndrad

Jesus.. I would think you guys would get tired of this. You aren't paying for a game twice, you are paying for access to 100+ games once, and purchasing the game if you want it. Secondly, if steam is cheaper buy it from steam, problem solved. I game on PC as well, and there are plenty of games that are cheaper through gamepass instead of steam. It just depends on what Steam has for sale, and how new the game is. The implication that you are "locked" in to any service is ridiculous and dishonest. Finally, if you don't believe the service is a good deal, don't subscribe to it. Simple as that. You guys that spending time bitching about a service you don't intend to use is absolutely pointless.

That's what I did, bought the game on Steam and unsubscribed. In the process I lost all my progress. You aren't locked, but your save file is.

Oh no muh coupons.

If anything, "what goes around comes around" after the non-stop astroturfing for Game Pass and What A Great Deal It Is, amirite Xbox fans?

Some people think subscriptions are a ripoff. You're welcome to keep subscribing. Simple as that. You guys that spend time bragging about your Sam's Club card and your Costco membership is absolutely pointless.
So you are saying you are trolling this thread to get back at others for trolling PS threads? What a sad, little person you must be.

junguler

Banned
same thing happens with netflix and all the other subscription services, they only keep the content that's owned by them and have to rotate everything else

chikydee

Neo Member
I like it actually, it motivates you to finish games and try new ones, or buy the ones which take longer that you really enjoy (at a discount!). It also means the selection of games doesn't get boring or overwhelming, you won't have to worry about sorting through a thousand bad titles just to find that one gem.

The Alien

Banned
A subscription service cycling games in and out to keep things fresh while adhering to the contracts signed? (gasp)....ye gads....Microsoft are monsters!!!!

Played Remnant and its DLC (purchase) since it joined in November 2019.

Also enjoy Gears 5, etc.

With GamePass, if yiu want to purchase the game when it leaves ulyiubget an extra discount as well.

anothertech

Well, this is why there is the option to buy the games permanently. Just the ones you like.

That option is always there as well.

What you are paying for now is the promise of what is coming.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So you are saying you are trolling this thread to get back at others for trolling PS threads? What a sad, little person you must be.
No, I was being sarcastic because the finer points of people who have problems with Game Pass were getting handwaved by people saying "but it's just an option. What's the problem with options? Do you hate coupons or something?". This is usually what happens whenever Game Pass is brought up, so eventually it's better to poke fun until people realize they're bragging about a Sam's Club card.

nani17

are in a big trouble
[
So, OPs problem is that they've found too many great games on Gamepass. A good problem to have.

If it really is such a massive loss to you, just buy the games. Unlike services like Netflix, purchasing the content to own it forever will always be an option. If I found a title on Gamepass that was just so incredible I couldn't bare the thought of losing it... then yeah, I'd buy it. The idea of Gamepass is to get you to play games you otherwise wouldn't. Sounds to me like its working, but OP thought Gamepass was designed to replace the very concept of game ownership as a whole, instead of acting like an all access pass to your favourite video game arcade.

Do you think that option of going out and buying that game I want to keep playing will be available in the next 10 years? I'm looking at the positives and negatives of the future of gaming and its 100% going to be subscription based.

Sony will do it too alone with many others and if this is what's going to happen I'm not really looking forward to it. For now yes I have the option to buy the games but as a gamer all my life the idea of a game being removed has me thinking about the road ahead

Subscriptions are bad. They funnel you toward purchases you wouldn't otherwise make and they keep you on the hook from month to month. "Quantity" and "value" mean nothing to me if the items on offer aren't what I want to play. Options are fine, no one is contesting that. The subject is an issue with one of these options and the flaws of that option. I don't think anyone is implying that the option should go away entirely simply at the suggestion of some forum-goers.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, but I don't expect you will have the freedom to buy a physical copy on Xbox for much longer. Apparently there are games that get physical PS4 / Switch releases but not Xbox, even though it's available digitally for Xbox. Whether that's a hiccup or a sign of things to come, I don't know, but I'm not putting my game ownership in the hands of Microsoft. I'd happily buy disks from them, but they are instead playing price-wars in the market, devaluing games and trying to chase out competition by cash alone. It comes at the cost of physical, and that's pretty obvious.
This is where we disagree. There is nothing wrong with *optional* subscriptions. No one is forcing you or anyone to sign up for Gamepass so yes it is simply 'not for you'. Gamepass forces you to buy or play nothing. If you don't like the service don't use it. It really is that simple. The physical releases of games has everything to do with the install base differences of the previous generation. Companies like Limited Run games ONLY makes games for PS4 and Switch there is no conspiracy its just business. If MS is devaluing games why did they just drop 7.5B on ZeniMax? Seem like they are investing HEAVILY in games not devaluing them. Maybe you just don't like MS and again if you don't like them don't buy their stuff. Again another simple solution.

This talk about Microsoft taking control of your game 'ownership' is silly. At this point in time the games we 'own' are simply physical keys. As long as our drive equipped console detects the correct title you can play that title. News flash the PS4 and PS5 have the same system. That's why all of these games are downloaded from their respective digital stores. I hope you are just as vocal about the PS5 DE because soon Sony will be in control of your game 'ownership'! Switch is probably the last system where you can completely 'own' the title. Still as with Gamepass if you cannot get a physical copy don't buy that title or buy it in a place you can if it makes you feel better. The thing is that pretty much all physical media is going away so I have no idea what you are going to do when that happens but I hope you aren't planning on blaming MS for it. This trend is bigger than one company.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is where we disagree. There is nothing wrong with *optional* subscriptions. No one is forcing you or anyone to sign up for Gamepass so yes it is simply 'not for you'. Gamepass forces you to buy or play nothing. If you don't like the service don't use it. It really is that simple. The physical releases of games has everything to do with the install base differences of the previous generation. Companies like Limited Run games ONLY makes games for PS4 and Switch there is no conspiracy its just business. If MS is devaluing games why did they just drop 7.5B on ZeniMax? Seem like they are investing HEAVILY in games not devaluing them. Maybe you just don't like MS and again if you don't like them don't buy their stuff. Again another simple solution.

This talk about Microsoft taking control of your game 'ownership' is silly. At this point in time the games we 'own' are simply physical keys. As long as our drive equipped console detects the correct title you can play that title. News flash the PS4 and PS5 have the same system. That's why all of these games are downloaded from their respective digital stores. I hope you are just as vocal about the PS5 DE because soon Sony will be in control of your game 'ownership'! Switch is probably the last system where you can completely 'own' the title. Still as with Gamepass if you cannot get a physical copy don't buy that title or buy it in a place you can if it makes you feel better. The thing is that pretty much all physical media is going away so I have no idea what you are going to do when that happens but I hope you aren't planning on blaming MS for it. This trend is bigger than one company.
You're willfully misunderstanding me at this point. I have explained my stance plainly. Enjoy your coupons. I'm sure we will all enjoy hearing about it incessantly, and nothing I add or subtract from my reply to you will change that.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You don't need to be able to pay every game to make it worthwhile. One or two a month even a mind it still pays for itself.

Poplin

it’s just one of the many problems of game pass, the pass model is bad for consumers in the long run.

Explain how its bad for consumers? you get access to a bunch of games, they're on there for a while, if you still want to play it after its done you can buy it when its on sale, and you get an added discount by being a member.

Seems really good to me.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Ummm yes, shows and movies do get removed from netflix "while you're watching them" lol.

Last edited:

sol_bad

To contrast with OP's list, here are the games that were added to Game Pass in September:
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 2 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (added September 3rd, 2020)
  • Hotshot Racing (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Tell Me Why - Chapter 3 (added September 10th, 2020)
  • Destiny 2 expansions Forsaken, Shadowkeep (added September 22nd, 2020)
  • Night in the Woods (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (added September 24th, 2020)
  • Doom Eternal (added October 1st, 2020)

Here is my problem with Gamepass. Out of that list I only have 3 games that I am interested in. RE7, Doom Eternal and Night in the Woods.
It would probably take me more than a month to finish RE7 and Doom Eternal alone. Night in the Woods is indie so I'd rather support it directly.
Then to add to this, there are other none Gamepass games that I want to play. Right now I'm playing Super Mario World and I want to play Ghosts of Tsushima within the next 2 weeks. I've spent a week on SMW and I'd probably spend a month or more on GoT.

I'm time poor and if I paid for Gamepass I'd feel like I'd have to throw the none Gamepass games aside and focus on Gamepass only. It's lke Gamepass would dictate what I'm spending my time on to get value out of the service. This subscription service works great for movies and TV shows because they are easy to consume. Not so great when you are spending weeks/months on a single game.

You're willfully misunderstanding me at this point. I have explained my stance plainly. Enjoy your coupons. I'm sure we will all enjoy hearing about it incessantly, and nothing I add or subtract from my reply to you will change that.
Nah I get you man. You don't like Gamepass. I suggest you not sign up for it. Thankfully you have that power.

Here is my problem with Gamepass. Out of that list I only have 3 games that I am interested in. RE7, Doom Eternal and Night in the Woods.
It would probably take me more than a month to finish RE7 and Doom Eternal alone. Night in the Woods is indie so I'd rather support it directly.
Then to add to this, there are other none Gamepass games that I want to play. Right now I'm playing Super Mario World and I want to play Ghosts of Tsushima within the next 2 weeks. I've spent a week on SMW and I'd probably spend a month or more on GoT.

I'm time poor and if I paid for Gamepass I'd feel like I'd have to throw the none Gamepass games aside and focus on Gamepass only. It's lke Gamepass would dictate what I'm spending my time on to get value out of the service. This subscription service works great for movies and TV shows because they are easy to consume. Not so great when you are spending weeks/months on a single game.

Isn't this a personal problem more than an issue with Gamepass? Why not just buy the games you'd want to play at a discount and then cancel the service? You could take as much time as you wanted to play all the games you have time for and resub to Gamepass if you want or well DON'T. Gamepass isn't dictating your game time., you are.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Do you think that option of going out and buying that game I want to keep playing will be available in the next 10 years? I'm looking at the positives and negatives of the future of gaming and its 100% going to be subscription based.

Sony will do it too alone with many others and if this is what's going to happen I'm not really looking forward to it. For now yes I have the option to buy the games but as a gamer all my life the idea of a game being removed has me thinking about the road ahead
Yes. You're not "looking at the positives and negatives". You're inventing "negatives" so you've got something to complain about. Developers have already stated that Gamepass has driven enormous sales increases for their titles. You're manufacturing concern using poorly formed speculative thinking. The best thing about this is that Gamepass is optional - don't like, don't subscribe, and continue to pay retail for your content.

If you want real concern that's not getting enough traction, try this on for size: Gamepass better normalises the concept of digital ownership of console titles, in the same way Steam normalised the concept of digital ownership for PC titles. Unlike previous generations, where I can pull out my OG Xbox and play everything I own until the heat death of universe exactly as it was, the next generation will kill the concept of physical ownership in favour of digital ownership, and open games up to retroaactie content manipulation. We're then at the mercy of the developers and digital storefronts to continue to allow us access to these titles as we do now. With older GTA titles having their soundtracks altered years after its release due to music licencing issues, we're paving the way for malleable games that we can't undo. Censoring old games due to modern political view points? Cutting out actors who've disgraced themselves years afterwards? Is that something we should be concerned about?
That's a conversation worth having. "Gamepass is going to kill purchasing games forever! Rise up gamerz!" is not.

Hawk269

That does not sound like a bad problem to have knowing how much you are paying a month and the amount of game on the service. If you loved a game so much that is leaving there is the option to buy the game before it leaves with a discount. That is what I have done with some games. The whole thing about GP is discovering games you normally would not of bought because of the cost. Since GP came out I have bought about 8 games that I normally would of not payed for when they came out. Enjoyed them enough that once I got notice they were leaving I bought them.

Brofist

Time constraints are always going to be a problem. I couldn't finish my Steam library in 100 lifetimes. Just need to prioritize and play what gives you the most enjoyment. If you only typically play long games then maybe GP is not the way.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nah I get you man. You don't like Gamepass. I suggest you not sign up for it. Thankfully you have that power.
Nah. You countered my concerns about Microsoft "devaluing the market and playing price wars" by mentioning they bought Zenimax and therefore weren't devaluing anything. This made it clear we're not on the same page and are talking past one another. If you saved the snark like you save on Game Pass Ultimate™ Subscription Service then you wouldn't be bothered by people expressing doubts based on historical trends. Thankfully you have that power.

MarkMe2525

I'm very confused by this post. Netflix would absolutely remove the series your watching if you didn't finish before it left the service. That's why they announce what's leaving (like gamepass does).

pr0cs

I've been a subscriber since early days and NEVER got caught with them removing games prematurely on me.
I guess if you like playing 15 - 20 games at a time at a leisurely pace then it might be an issue but who the fuck plays games like that, why bother.
The only game that I got caught with was metro exodus and I kinda got bored and stopped playing it. The reminder it was leaving was a good reminder to clean up my HDD

Again not my fault life gets in the way and I don't have time to finish them
Cool so the entire post boils down to you having a cry that you don’t have enough time in your life to enjoy your what you want to out of the service. It’s literally a middle ground between the service having too much value or you having a busy life/poor time management. JFC.

Receipts on all these games that “apparently” can’t be bought physically ? Such bullshit fear-mongering, there’s been maybe a handful of examples among thousands of games where due to licensing issues people have lost access to a game or a demo or some such. The majority of PC games don’t have physical, mobile has zero digital. It’s such a non-issue and you only hear tantrums from people stuck in their ways and are so concerned about “muh rights, muh disks” and the big bad digital boogie man.

Top Bottom