• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My last 12 threads are boring, and after that? A ban?

do you like this slow boring start?

• Total voters

ungalo

None of bethesda games have strong openings...

Do people expected uncherted 2 opening?

This is days gone all over again, many people didn't enjoyed the first 10 hours, i personally enjoyed that game from the first second.
The intro of Starfield is probably the least appealing of any Bethesda game (that i played). Even Fallout 4 was better than that. But i'm talking about the first 2 hours, the intro and tutorial.

The 12 hours thing on the other hand is bullshit. It sounds like some justification from people who shat on the game too soon thinking everybody was going to be on their side.

Obviously the game makes more sense when you get the full picture of every location, every discovery, of your character progression and possibilities. Doesn't mean the game is boring for 10 hours, it's part of the process.

Last edited:
When you have 50 hours under your belt and you’re still learning things and tweaking your build you tend to appreciate not having everything thrown at you all at once right at the start.

Progression in an RPG is kind of crucial.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What changes after 12 hours? The AI is not dump anymore and the guns ,excluding pistols, are not too weak anymore?

BlackTron

I think the difference for me is i literally didn’t know this game existed until the direct that they released in June. I’ve also never really played a Bethesda game (unless like 5 hours of Fallout 4 counts) That means I didn’t spend the past 7 years overhyping the game to oblivion

Checks out

What changes after 12 hours? The AI is not dump anymore and the guns ,excluding pistols, are not too weak anymore?
Access to better ship modules, weapon mods, suit mods, outpost mods, powers, and magazine bonuses, more companions that you’ve found, more side quests that added up, more merchants to sell to, more cosmetic choices, higher scaling enemies with better loot...I could go on...

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Access to better ship modules, weapon mods, suit mods, outpost mods, powers, and magazine bonuses, more companions that you’ve found, more side quests that added up, more merchants to sell to, more cosmetic choices, higher scaling enemies with better loot...I could go on...
Almost everything excluding maybe higher scaling enemies (the not so dump ones if there is any), and powers sounds like the same "boredom".

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
The hyperbole around this game is really something special. The intro lasts about an hour. By hour four, I'd done two excellent side quests, explored a moon, battled in space, re-customised my character using the in-game plastic surgeon, fought pirate bounty hunters, re-painted my ship, started collecting board games, and started to understand the build I want to play. At that point, I was all in. Now at hour 10, I've re-made my ship, started down what appears to be a full fat quest line, explored two moons, had several random encounters in space and on planets, completed two large scale "dungeons", and so much more. And I feel like I've barely started playing at all. It's insane how easily those 10 hours just evaporated for me. There's no progression point where the game "starts" twelve hours in. This isn't Final Fantasy.

Last edited:
it seems that the first 12-15 hours of the game are boring
Speak for your goddamn self thank you very much, and no your thread title isn't fact.
If you are bored with it, sure, fine, nobody can force you to have different interests, but I haven't been bored a single second.

Calling it a slow start is also just an incredible misnomer, the game throws you into the deep end almost immediately; oh hi we were just about to mine som- pirate attack! Oh hey I like you, here's my ship for free, and a cool companion as well. What you need to go do? lol whatever you want my guy.

Maybe the lack of pure hand held, brain turned off, cinematic experience is too overwhelming for you which you mistake for boring.

manlisten

The opening of this game very much reminds me of the opening to Mass Effect 1. On a mission with your crew, stumble upon an alien artifact, see a vision, black out. Then you’re dropped into the Citadel (New Atlantis) and faff around for a few hours talking to NPCs and taking on tasks. Eventually the action picks up and you’re taken on a crazy ride.

Again, I’m starting to understand why this game has clicked with me, and for others not so much.

MangalaX

Neo Member
I'm like 10 hrs into it and it didnt feel slow at all, wish I had better hardware to run it over 30fps.
My humble and honest opinion:
-They nailed it with the interiors, looks of the materials and all of that. I love picking up stuff.
-The characters have been moving the story foward so far.
-3 to 4hrs in you can do a lot of exploring on your own.
-I have played some cool missions and I imagine there are more around the corner.
-The planet exploring has been the only thing I haven't like that much, is very empty and samey, you encounter the same flora and fauna over and over again. (like literally you only find 1 or types or materials in the hole planet.
-Some places that appear on the map dont have ANYTHING, just the name and give you xp when found.

cireza

The first 2 hours have been great so far.

My only issue is the 30fps limit, but otherwise it has been quite excellent.

Love the objectivity of the survey, well done !

Last edited:
It's obviously all subjective but I feel like a lot of people play these games with the wrong expectations.

I didn't go into this expecting or even wanting an in depth narrative campaign like it's God of War or The Last of Us or something.

I went into this expecting and wanting a detailed and authentic feeling Space Life Simulator and let me tell you, so far it's been an outstanding experience. I haven't even touched the main quest yet other the visiting the Lodge and getting a bed.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm trying to think of a game I enjoy that takes a while to get going. I know there are a few but can't pinpoint them.

Hard for me to play stuff like that these days, so many games are insanely long and I just don't have time for that stuff. In this case I don't even have an Xbox or PC to play it but Starfield does seem like a great game all the same. Some of the combat I've seen looks great and I like how you close the gun looks. Just has an intense vibe from what I've seen.

GymWolf

The intro of Starfield is probably the least appealing of any Bethesda game (that i played). Even Fallout 4 was better than that. But i'm talking about the first 2 hours, the intro and tutorial.

The 12 hours thing on the other hand is bullshit. It sounds like some justification from people who shat on the game too soon thinking everybody was going to be on their side.

Obviously the game makes more sense when you get the full picture of every location, every discovery, of your character progression and possibilities. Doesn't mean the game is boring for 10 hours, it's part of the process.
Yeah sorry, i don't see it.

In the first 2 hours of starfield you:

Not in order:

Discover the plot incipit
You have various gunfights
You explore a whole dungeon
You get a companion
You get to know the major characters in the plot
If i remeber well you get to flight a spaceship

Absolutely not sure what you do in the first 2 hours of f3 or f4 that trump all of that except if you like fantasy medieval or post nuclear war scenario over space stuff, because i'm pretty sure that space nuts got multiple orgasm when they got out the first time from the mine or get to fly a ship and see the universe around them with good graphical fidelity, they probably felt how you felt when you left the bunker in f3 or saw the dragon in skyrim.

Are you gonna imply that the whole growing up and getting out in f3 or having a wife and child and getting sheltered is somehow better written or more exciting that flying a damn spaceship with a robot companion and exploring a space dungeon...because it is not, unless spaceship stuff is not your thing at all.

Are those 2 hours incredible or special? No.

But like i said, i fail to see the 10x times better start in their previous games tbh.

But then again, i'm not a bethesda fanboy and i never liked their games that much, so maybe this is the reason why i find all of their openings bland and unimpressive.

Last edited:
Did you spend more than a few minutes in "space" in the game? Because so far for me was 99,99% of the time inside planets and loading screens.
Well what I meant is I wanted to feel like someone who lives in the new space age. Like traveling to different planets, working different jobs.

So far I'm essentially a Han Solo type character. Just accepted some cargo hauling contracts that I'm going to try later today.

But to answer your question, no I really haven't spent much time in space. I haven't even visited a space station yet.

The loading screens are really a shame, I know Bethesda could have done a much better job with them than they did.

I can't imagine how slow it must feel on Xbox with the loading.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some of the biggest, most sacred console franchises that people are creaming about the sequels - were boring to me until about midway through the game. And those were action games lol.

I’ll give a pass to an RPG, but even then it’s what? A Dunkey video that brought this thread about?

People like to “discuss” these games but it’s only ever negativity.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That mining section wasn’t very compelling, that’s for sure.

But settles into standard Bethesda fare soon after.
the mines at the start sure but it was to teach game mechanics
The awful is not being able to faster and have to wait for the NPCs and listen/talk to them

maybe Bethesda game are not for me or I had the wrong expectations before launch

Madflavor

It's definitely not grabbing me so far. There are obviously things that are good about it, but it's past BGS game's did it better, and very little of "Bethesda Formula" has evolved here.

Raven117

the mines at the start sure but it was to teach game mechanics
The awful is not being able to faster and have to wait for the NPCs and listen/talk to them

maybe Bethesda game are not for me or I had the wrong expectations before launch
There are lots of ways to teach game mechanics (Even Fallouts and Skyrim/Oblivion did a much better job), this was particularly boring. Clearly they were trying to go from "you are a nobody" to something important (like Skyrim), but the
whole...miner to...here take my ship
...is jarring.

And yes...the slow walk not being able to skip it makes it even worse.

Bethesda games are for me. And this one will be no different. Im already getting into the groove and rhythm of it. But this did stick out as boring.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So far it's been boring 20 hrs in. So not just the first 12 hrs.
You've been playing for 20 hours? How long did it take within that 20 hrs you've played for you to realize it was boring? I'm about 5 hrs in and haven't been bored one bit. I'm still getting my head around the systems and just how vast this game is. Just my short time with it has been phenomenal.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bernoulli Bernoulli as he sees the title change lol

jayzd.gif

Mr Hyde

I've played one hour and thought it had a great opening. I don't mind slow burners for a game like this. I'd rather it takes its sweet time to unravel the plot, especially since the game is supposed to be so epic in scale.

Top Bottom