• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My last 12 threads are boring, and after that? A ban?

do you like this slow boring start?

• Total voters

Bernoulli

M2 slut
now that game is out i wanted to make this thread to discuss this issue, it seems that the first 12-15 hours of the game are boring and you have to go through all that first before the game improving

i have the game since friday but i was only able to play a little bit so i'm still in the boring zone and i'm feeling like i'm forcing myself to play that's why i stopped, i will come back to the game later in a few months when i get a new GPU but the performance after updating my drivers is ok but the game looks like old gen.

what is your experience with these 12 first hours did you enjoy it? i find it strange that you have to go through this part before the game getting good ( and i'm not sure it's even true)

these are some reviews that talk about this issue

feynoob

Banned
That is what everyone agrees with.Early hours are boring as hell.
The game picks up the pace after that. Its mainly due to limited option that you can do during that time.

Bethesda fumbled the bag hard with this game. I cant even defend their shit, even though I was excited for this game.

At this point, its waiting time for mods.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That is what everyone agrees with.Early hours are boring as hell.
The game picks up the pace after that. Its mainly due to limited option that you can do during that time.

Bethesda fumbled the bag hard with this game. I cant even defend their shit, even though I was excited for this game.

At this point, its waiting time for mods.
vehicles mods would improve the exploration alot
imagine having bikes, a buggy or even a monster truck

Reactions: Isa

Zuzu

I've played it for a bit under 4 hours. I don't find it that boring really. It seems like a standard video game opening. It starts with a story hook and then introduces you to the characters and mechanics of the game and sends you on some simple missions to introduce you to everything. You can start exploring fairly quickly as well. I don't see what the big deal is.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Idk, I thought it was riveting right from the start, and I spend the first 2 hours climbing a shitty mountain in the middle of nowhere while thinking about that Captain Kirk Is Climbing a Mountain song. It was great.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
imagine having bikes, a buggy or even a monster truck
monster-truck-with-full-moon-background_839169-28224.jpg

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

WX3

Man, what a boring slog! The game force feeds you in direct paths for literally the first three hours or so. I cannot believe the audacity of these devs! I had to play an additional 33 hours this weekend as a palate cleanser. Never again Bethesda, I won't be fooled again!

GymWolf

None of bethesda games have strong openings...

Do people expected uncherted 2 opening?

This is days gone all over again, many people didn't enjoyed the first 10 hours, i personally enjoyed that game from the first second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

manlisten

I didn’t find it boring, personally.

I think the difference for me is i literally didn’t know this game existed until the direct that they released in June. I’ve also never really played a Bethesda game (unless like 5 hours of Fallout 4 counts) That means I didn’t spend the past 7 years overhyping the game to oblivion in my own mind and setting unrealistic expectations. All I expected from the game was exactly what they showed off in the direct and so far it’s delivered on that and then some. I’m thrilled with it so far.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well there you go there are issues with the game. Hence the discussions about them.
There has been little actual discussion. You can do a quick search of posts on the op or any of the constant trollers and see they have the most starfield posts by a very wide margin.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

Also, I don't watch this guy enough to get a sense of where he's coming from, but this video is incredibly annoying because he criticises the game with such confidence when he himself admitted that he didn't even play it for more than 12 hours, and so many of his statements are factually wrong. And there are so many people in the comments on that video who were obviously just looking for someone with a bigger voice to confirm their biases, and it's kinda sad.

This video blows, OP. I wouldn't use it as a gauge on whether or not the game is good, considering that a lot of the things he's saying aren't even accurate or true.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I’d argue Skyrim has a strong opening
I guess the dragon part is cool (if not uber generic in a fantasy game) but it was not exactly a pinnacle of neither writing nor action nor genius camera work or anything...

I think starfield opening is definitely better than f3 or f4 openings at least but i give you skyrim being slightly better.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Between work and social commitments I've only managed maybe an hour today.
I wouldn't call it boring, just uneventful. I'm enjoying what I've seen.

There has been little actual discussion. You can do a quick search of posts on the op or any of the constant trollers and see they have the most starfield posts buy a very wide margin.

There actually is a lot of discussion on the issues. You just have to read what you want to find them.

Mephisto40

If you find the first 12 hours boring, you will find the next 100 hours boring, it doesn't all of a sudden turn into a new game after 12 hours

It just stops being one fetch quest after another after 12 hours, because that is what the first 12-15 hours of the main story is. You are literally told to bounce from one location to another, picking up an item and taking it back to a central location. After you have finished doing that the game becomes more story driven

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Theyre boring TO YOU

People really need to start adding that to the end of their opinions (shitty or not)

They weren’t boring to me whatsoever. I do think it has the weakest opening for any BGS game. There really isn’t that “out of the sewers/vault” moment where you see this world of unknown before you.

But as famous philosopher Dr Ches Bennington once said: “In the end, it doesn’t even matter.”

Aion002

I played 1 hour yesterday.

It's a pretty game, but the combat seems lame (simplistic tps, janky and terrible ai) and the story didn't grab my attention.... I will give it a couple more hours today.

Also, the exploration seems quite limited and the space combat appears to be too basic, I am hoping that both gets better as I play it.

Kikorin

Try to rush the first part and see by yourself. My PC seems too shitty to play it properly so I've to wait 🥲

AngelMuffin

It’s entirely possible that maybe the game just isn’t your jam…and that’s ok. Plenty of other games out there to be bored by. FF16 bored the hell out of me and I couldn’t even stomach to finish it…loving Starfield though.

Buggy Loop

I enjoyed whatever little I could play last night, just got to constellation meeting.

With all the different skills and thus possible play styles, you’ll get a variety of opinions. Like all Bethesda RPGs

I’ll play more before solidify my opinion, but so far so good.

Top Bottom