• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 4 year old is playing her first video game tonight. What was the first game you remember playing?

TLZ

Banned
Either pong at home or something at the arcades.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Last edited:

nowhat

It must have been something arcade. We got a C128 when I was like 6, so it was that from there on, but what was the first game on that, no idea. It's been a while.

But I do recall giving my daughter her first gaming experience (she was like 4 at the time as well), it was Flower on PS4. Highly recommended for kids (for non-gaming adults too), the gyro controls are so easy to pick up, and the atmosphere and music are so nice.

Larxia

I'm not sure but it was probably sonic. Was something on megadrive for sure because that's what my brother had.

Hunnybun

I don't know exactly. My brother had a sinclair spectrum 128k (the one with the disk drive) so it would either be something on that or something at the local arcade we used to go to every weekend.

The ones that really stand out as early experiences are Wonder Boy and an old adventure game called Where Time Stood Still, both on the Spectrum. In the arcade I think it would be Chase HQ.

The first console I actually had of my own was a Game Boy, but I was probably about 8 when I got that and had already been playing for years.

Last edited:

Tams

Some MS DOS train management game. Loved it. A family friend gave it to me on a floppy disk.

Not the first, but I loved playing SkiFree on my dad's computer in his office.

Hudo

My very first game I remember playing was some Boulder Dash clone on my Mom's old laptop (I think it was a Compaq machine and even then I think it was quite old. She never really used it anymore. It was just laying around.) with Windows 3.11 on it. But I was too young to really realize what the fuck I was doing. So maybe 4 or 5 years old. I remember being 7 or so when my father bought the big-box set of Command & Conquer (the package together with the expansion CD in one big box) and we installed it on our familiy's Windows 98 machine in the living room. I fucking played all night till my father forced me to go to bed. It was fucking great.

Last edited:

Roberts

That was a little rough, but we were able to beat the first world. She’s wants to play first thing tomorrow morning now.

I created a monster!

Get ready. My daughter’s first video game was also at four. Now she is six and we finished It Takes Two a few months ago.

Anyway, my first game was some Soviet version of Pong at my cousin’s place. I also clearly remember that my first PC game was Dune II

Kupfer

It was definitely some version of Pong.
Yeah same for me. My father had one of those consoles from the late 70's with pong and various variants of it. Although I was born in 1990 this machine was the first time I played a video game. Later my sister borrowed some Sega consoles from friends and I remember playing Aladdin and Sonic, but *my* gaming career began with my own GBC in 1998 an a copy of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Congrats! My first game I remember was Batman on the NES. I was also 4.
So fucking good.

I believe mine was Street fighter on the SNES. Luckily my grandmother was cool and had an NES for me and my cousin. I remember so many good games. Batman, Mario, Festers quest, Double dragon, and battle toads.

Man, so many good memories. Thanks for making me feel feelings like that lol.

SHA

A modded nes cartridge with 200 games, I don't remember which one of these 200 I started playing, but I remember I was 2 or 3 years old.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Hard to say. Maybe Space Invaders on an arcade machine in a seedy, smoky bar. Or maybe Arkanoid or Pengo. Wish I could remember.

Give your daughter Kirby!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it was the vector arcade Star Wars game by Atari. I have vague memories of playing it at some local pizza place or something.

But the first video games I played at home were Missile Command and Berzerk for the Atari 2600. I got them (and the Atari itself) when I was 5, and I have been a gamer ever since.

Esppiral

Glad to see gaffers older than me lol, I remember playing Alex Kid but I don't know if it were my first game.

ShakenG

Marble madness i believe on Sega.
But honestly, its too far back to remember to remember a specific game.. also have a faint memory of something Jurrasic park.

T4keD0wN T4keD0wN
That would have been a awesome first memory.

Last edited:

Fbh

Probably something at the arcade but the first game I remember playing at home was the OG Duke Nukem.

I'd play in coop with my sister. She moved the character and I was un charge of shooting (so basically she did everything and I pressed a single button when she told me to lol)

Top Bottom