• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat First Look: Inside the R-rated Reboot

I was hoping there would be a trailer today but those pics look great:
EryG1WJW8AE7Fk9

So, Joe Taslim is Sub.

joe-taslim-dianne-doan.jpg

Btw. Warrior is great.

Imotekh

I am emotionally invested in this film not sucking, I am really worried by no Johnny Cage and this weird plot intro about fancy a birthmark.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
....But what of the soundtrack?
If I were a betting man(based on past MK trailers), I'd expect hip hop/trap/synth mixes with a mix of asian influence, not 90's era techno/rock music:

When done right, it can lead to some alright sounding tracks:

Last edited by a moderator:

IDappa

I understand that's what you want, but in reality expect more of this:

Did you intentionaly go and find some shit remixes that hardly have any Q's from the original. Surely Simone will step up and push for a old school techno soundtrack for this movie because if it's anything like those two examples the soundtrack is gonna blow.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Did you intentionaly go and find some shit remixes that hardly have any Q's from the original. Surely Simone will step up and push for a old school techno soundtrack for this movie because if it's anything like those two examples the soundtrack is gonna blow.
Possibly at least one throwback techno track might happen in the movie. When they announce the movie track list(w/ featured artists) is when we'll know what direction they're going with. My bet is on a more mainstream sound.

IDappa

Possibly at least one throwback techno track might happen in the movie. When they announce the movie track list(w/ featured artists) is when we'll know what direction they're going with. My bet is on a more mainstream sound.
No doubt it will be mainstream stuff, especially after those initial mk game trailers. I just think it's a big missed opportunity not to lean into that nostalgia.

IDappa

This isn't bad for a remix, I still think the original is better.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt it will be mainstream stuff, especially after those initial mk game trailers. I just think it's a big missed opportunity not to lean into that nostalgia.

1995 was 25 years ago, so they have to also appeal to the new generation who has grown up on the new MK games(9, 10, and 11) which have a hip hop/trap influence in their trailers. They can make it work if they balance it right.

This trailer reminds me how much I hate seeing Scorpion and Sub Zero's faces.

It makes them look less like supernaturally powered ninjas and more like just some dudes wearing yellow and blue.

Scorpion especially, when you compare him to his masked version in the same storyline.
Yeah it honestly kinda annoys me too. Mask define them a lot. They would've look so much better in those cutscenes wearing masks...

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think it looks awesome. It's possible I've been conditioned by the schlock of the first MK film, I'm not sure. But I do enjoy that film and I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I'm hoping for awesome choreography, cool visuals, and a thumping soundtrack. It looks like we may get that.

EDIT: Crap, have you guys not seen the full leaked trailer yet? It's in russian but it looks better than the tv spot. Can't link right now.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we were all wrong and they decided to go with an orchestral score/mix. The trailer looks promising though.

Watching it right now. On episode 4. Joe Taslim is sick.

So, looks one another one from the Warrior - Dustin Nguyen

dustin-nguyen_0.jpg

As probably Scorpion ( he become later as Scorpion i presume). Scene in trailer falls in line with cartoon movie Scorpion's Revenge (a great movie) where he was attacked by Sub Zero clan

EDIT

It's not him. It is Hiroyuki Sanada. 😁

They both look similar to me. LOL

Last edited:

dcx4610

Looks pretty bad but I guess for a video game movie, it looks alright.

Not a fan of CG blood and it looks like some B or C-movie you'd catch on HBO late at night which I guess works since it'll be on HBO Max.

The best Mortal Kombat movie is Enter the Dragon.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mortal Kombat fans are gloating over how good this looks but what’s your excuse when it flops?

Top Bottom