• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 Reveals Jean-Claude Van Damme Skin for Johnny Cage

Fbh

Did Van Damme send over his stunt double for the 3D modelling process?

We had better actors likeness on the Ps2
DF29791187516DF2DE1322081100AE2E742825D1

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Looks about as good as the Stallone one so it's fine. The video showing him doing a fatality looks close enough.

xrnzaaas

Incredible fuckup with the character model. And it's surprising because they've made some cool models in the past based on real actors, movie monsters/villains etc.

Last edited:
The level of retardation this game is pushing is idiocracy level of crazy.

People are really normalizing dlc(a lot of dlc) before the game even launch.. Don't be surprised if in the next game they push for cards to "collect" characters.

This disease behavior is spreading from fifa to other games... And fighting games ayers are ready to accept this type of dumb shit.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Did Van Damme send over his stunt double for the 3D modelling process?

We had better actors likeness on the Ps2
DF29791187516DF2DE1322081100AE2E742825D1
Ahhh Jean Reno is probably my favourite french actor.Little trivia his character from the Professional (LEON) was inspired from the same actor in a previous movie from Lub Besson called NIKITA (which has a fucking weird sound direction in french since for some reason they decided to lower the dialagoues so much that it feels like everybody is whispering)

Mr1999

I got sucked in, ended up getting premium on gamebillet for 25 percent off. :) love me some jcvd vibes. I'm sure someone will tweak the face.

Last edited:
Could it be they didn’t want to keep paying for his likeness or do face and voice go hand-in-hand?
I’m just trying to think of why they didn’t scan his actual face.

RAIDEN1

30 years in the making, he's been the original role-model of Johnny Cage since 1992...but I agree with some posters here, the resemblance....I'm not really seeing it..

Hot5pur

This whole game is strange. It's like they intentionally made the characters look like B movie actors. Maybe the low cheekbones and rounded faces. The characters look mid and there is not enough contrast on their outfits. Feels more like bland Kombat than mortal Kombat.

Overall the animation is improved but damn this game is behind in terms of hit effects and momentum - just feels noticeably clunky/floaty. But then again they sell so well so "don't fix it if it ain't broke". I just kinda wish they would remove the block button so playing on arcade sticks is more fun.

Eliciel

I am so ready for this. Premium is lock-n'-loaded and my fighting Buddy is ready to rumble. Story-Mode will be Epic as well

xrnzaaas

6mLsBiJ.jpg

yckzc0N.jpg

Man, these lame excuses. "We put a lot of effort into this sub-par product, please understand"
And all these people saying it looks spot on, wtf.
You can put endless hours into something and still come up with crap because of lack of talent or other reasons. And that's definitely the case here. And don't tell me that current technology couldn't be used to help recreate younger JCVD based on his current facial scan.

ShadowNate

lol, talented 3d artists can get better or spot on resemblance results working from photos or movie clips, of which several are available for JCVD. Amateur modders can do wonders. It takes a special mentality to fail badly at it and then double down with "but I tried so hard".

Though, I am puzzled about the numerous "looks great", "finally!" comments. Have those people (assuming not bots) never seen the actor? I guess that's very likely, but why clap like idiots then?

FeralEcho

lol, talented 3d artists can get better or spot on resemblance results working from photos or movie clips, of which several are available for JCVD. Amateur modders can do wonders. It takes a special mentality to fail badly at it and then double down with "but I tried so hard".

Though, I am puzzled about the numerous "looks great", "finally!" comments. Have those people (assuming not bots) never seen the actor? I guess that's very likely, but why clap like idiots then?
Because the masses,like 70-80% of the world's big city population are morons that live only to consume product to product without thinking for themselves,most of them would buy an actual piece of shit if a commercial told them its the right thing to buy. They can't logically think for themselves they just follow what everyone else is doing and don't question then move on to the next useless fad or whatever braindead tiktok is up next because that's how they've wired themselves ever since social media took centerstage in their lives.

Regarding MK1 I decided to cancel my ultimate edition preorder after the Nitara Megan Fox trailer....On one hand they butchered her model and her voice is ughhhhh.....and on the other I hate when they put this shit in games,and not only tgat but story mode....I hated the Ronda Roussy shit for Sonya too...part of why I bought MK11 a while after launch.

Mr1999

Maybe I will try to make a lora of van damme from bloodsport and then use inpaint for the mk1 texture, never done it before but better texture should help, no? Even with the model being the way it is? Maybe that's what i will do today, train JCVD from Bloodsport in preparation, there's maybe a tutorial on how to modify textures for mk11? Sad to say that they could have done better using AI tools, which is what artists are currently up against. They have a ton of content from the movie and the rights to use it, they should have taken advantage of it using tools that exist. I still like it the way it is though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom