• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat First Look: Inside the R-rated Reboot

Ozzie666

1995 - Reptile was kept very secret. It was a big 'nerd-out' moment, True fan service there. Last minute addition supposedly. But it was magical.

1995 Sonya was supposed to be played by Cameron Diaz, but she got injured. Wilson never looked like a fighter and her fight scene(s) were terrible, they did the best they could to make them plausible. Attractive? sure.

Also the 1995 cast of characters is pretty iconic. This new movie would be like Street fighter not having Ken or Ryu, or having them take a back seat for Dan.

1995 Raiden, is the only acceptable Raiden. they should of dubbed this version with Christopher Lambert.

Kano in the recent version is fairly enjoyable, probably the main draw of the movie.

The only thing the latest version got right was the first 10 minutes, with Subzero and Scorpion. That could have been an entire movie there, just like the recent animated movie.

I'm not sure if the 2021 version is overall better than the terrible sequel of the original. But it must be, right?

SkylineRKR

I called my friend the other week, who also found this movie a piece of shit. He came over and we decided to start 1995.

Its so much better, its not even funny. The only thing that 2021 has going for it, is that its R-rated. But, despite the games being violent, it were mostly teens playing them. And the 1995 film targets that specific demographic. I was 14/15 when it came out and the movie resonated with me a lot and I didn't even realize it had no blood at first. Because there is still some gore in it and people do die.

The 1995 movie just nails the atmosphere. Robin Shou was a very cool Liu Kang that didn't take his role all too seriously but he wasn't a complete goofball either. He is so much better than that new kid, his resemblance to MK3 Liu Kang is striking. Cage was an arrogant prick, who in his first scene with Liu Kang assumes hes a poor asian hobo and wants to give him some cash to carry his luggage. I lol'd. Come at me Ree! Sonya is the serious special forces who at first is ice cold and snarky and her attitude towards Cage is rather funny, when she says she despises men like him you know they're going to get it on. Tagawa as Shang Tsung, there is a reason this guy reprises his role in XI. He's the best of the bunch by far. Extremely charismatic, cold and cunning. He kills it. Goro, he wasn't CGI! He looks fucking great. And yeah his fight is kind of meh because its impossible to let him fight. But its commendable what they tried with him.

Sub Zero fight, the best in 2021, is one of the worser fights in the old movie. The Kano fight was also better in 2021. But for the rest, I loved the Scorpion and Reptile fights. Kang vs Shang. And some jobbers were thrown in to keep the pacing up.

Then, the locations. First its nighttime HK. Then its an actual eastern island of sorts. Just an awesome setting for a fighting flick. The locations really stand out.

TLDR: Go watch MK 1995.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't even understand how you have this nobody character Cole Young, explain that he's a descendant of Hanzo, tease Scorpion throughout the entire movie and then NOT end up with Cole Young transforming into Scorpion.

Man that would've been baller, would've add some actual arc to Coly Young's story and would be a sick twist.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't even understand how you have this nobody character Cole Young, explain that he's a descendant of Hanzo, tease Scorpion throughout the entire movie and then NOT end up with Cole Young transforming into Scorpion.

Man that would've been baller, would've add some actual arc to Coly Young's story and would be a sick twist.
That's how I thought it would play out because I remembered scorpion speaking English in the trailer.

I was unpleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom