• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat First Look: Inside the R-rated Reboot

Kuranghi

The Sub Zero shot made me interested until I saw the pic below it. That shot looks likes too much like cosplay, their costumes are near flawless, which is great for a computer game or animated film but looks weird for live action. Need to weather them up a bit, just grab it and chuck it on the floor a few times and bobs your fathers brother.

Sounds good about the influences though.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Should have gotten Nick E. Tarabay as Kano.
tenor.gif
Good pick, he was great in Spartacus series.

Gtafans93

90% of people looking at the pictures "Thats awesome " Then theres me who lives were they shot the film looking at the backgrounds thinking "I think I took a piss there "

regawdless

Banned
Didn't know a new movie comes out. Gonna be difficult as hell to strike that perfect balance between dark, brutal and stupid cheesy.

Let's hope they'll succeed.

Hyphen

Too early to say anything, but I have to say I liked cocky Australian Kano from the 1995 movie and it's going to be hard to top that performance. :)

Not to be pedantic, but I think that's a cocky British Kano.
I never could hear the 'Australian' in it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Not to be pedantic, but I think that's a cocky British Kano.
I never could hear the 'Australian' in it.
I googled the actor and he was British so there's definitely something in what you're saying. Guess I'm not around many British / Australian people to tell which accent is stronger. :)

Hyphen

I googled the actor and he was British so there's definitely something in what you're saying. Guess I'm not around many British / Australian people to tell which accent is stronger. :)

There's definitely some controversy surrounding it though. I think the last story was that the accent in the 1995 movie was 'mistaken' as Australian. So future portrayals of the character in certain Mortal Kombat iterations contained some dialogue with British/Australian continuity errors.

Concern

Looks like trash. Please tell me Steve Harvey isn't really in the movie. And wtf is up Kung Lao? Does he identify as Johnny Cage now?

A white dude with lady arms is playing Kung Lao, i mean wtf lol. Im disappointed in the lack of "diversity" here 🤣.

Definetly looks better than I expected, but then again, the issue isnt the production value, but what the hell they are gonna do with the story.

Fbh

The fight choreography is gonna make or break this. I hope they spent the budget on that because everything else is not looking good IMO.

That and the amount of fights.
It's a Mortal Kombat movie, I want it to be about people fighting. I just hope it's not one of those adaptations that completely misses the point and ends up being like 1.5 hours of people talking and 20 minutes of people fighting.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Reptile"

*techno beats starts pumping*

O my god I went crazy when I saw that in theatre as a kid. You thought the coolest shit was over because both Scorpion and Sub-Zero were dead, and then the movie pulls that insane fight out of nowhere.

Hypest shit in the world, even now.

edit: also this shit:

God damn, MK is crazy. Gives me goosebumps even with the dogshit CGI.

Last edited:
So this is focusing on their own original character? Yea, fuck that. I'm out. Same BS all video game movies pull, save the OG MK and somewhat the OG Street Fighter movie. The story and characters are barely like themselves from the game, and sometimes they add in their own character, which does nothing but take away from the real characters we paid to see.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That last little clip of debris rising has me excited. Somehow that small clip reminded me of the first film, which I adore, with a little help from nostalgia.
But really, if this movie is any better than that one, which isn't a herculean feat, than I'll probably love it. I just hope all these streaming services don't lead to the death of physical media, at least in the next few years. Wandavision, Mortal Kombat, Mandalorian, etc....
I want to own this stuff.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Man they really should have made this the MKU and started with origin movies for Liu Kang etc
This is a fun idea with potential, but do we really want to hold back on all our favorite characters? Imagine telling a studio you want a budget for Mortal Kombat but you're only including Liu Kang from the game. You'll have to wait until the sequel for Sub-Zero.

Maybe, if they started with Scorpion or Sub-Zero, who are fan favorites. I don't know if they can sell general audiences on that, but I'd be there for the first one at least. I'd love the thrill of seeing these fleshed out characters match up, knowing one is not coming out alive...or even recognizable.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The age of Remake movies continues
I'm surprised that no Flash Gordon or Rocky Horror remake has been made/announced. Great movies for Hollywood to milk.
(Big Trouble in Little China has a reboot/sequel announced with Dwayne Johnson already...)

D.Final

Banned
I'm surprised that no Flash Gordon or Rocky Horror remake has been made/announced. Great movies for Hollywood to milk.
(Big Trouble in Little China has a reboot/sequel announced with Dwayne Johnson already...)
They need good investment
And good development

MrMephistoX

Man those outfits are on point, wow.
I’ve always been a huge Mileena and Sub fan so they’ve gotten that down well...I mean it’s not that hard to do a good Liu Kang/Bruce Lee with long hair and a headband.

Is anyone that did that pretty okay web series behind this production?

Top Bottom