• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

I wish they would go for the AO rating. But then the only thing it would be on would be PC. If they could go that nasty with it and sell it on a website and have MS and Sony would be on board would be great.

Hell, I wish that rating was actually used in the damn industry instead of a placeholder. /rant

In that, go for the fucking gusto Boon.

GrayFoxPL

zoukka said:
Awesome party potential :D

Both Tekken 6 and SFIV failed as party games.

Whaa? :lol

MK maybe isn't as deep as other fighters, but it's still heavy on memorisation and mashing one button does nothing. Not to mention this looks like most juggle robust mk in the series. This shit will need mad reflex.

So I don't know about being a party game, unless everyone at the party is good at fighting games.

NameIess

The game looks incredible and based on the multiplayer feature set this is a day one purchase for me period...

I just have to decide what platform and I will decide that when they announce which console is the lead platform. *I would assume 360...*

G_Berry

Banned
Ed Boon needs to shave his head badly. As does the guy (I forget his name) from GameSpot that interviewed him.

Don't be afraid guys, shave that shit!

DasRaven

G_Berry said:
Ed Boon needs to shave his head badly. As does the guy (I forget his name) from GameSpot that interviewed him.

Don't be afraid guys, shave that shit!

Glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that. Those lights were not kind to either of them.

Draft said:
wtf. His blood is green.

Uhh, not in MK2.

And @ Stitch: Errm, no... are you? Look above.

I just think the green blood looks cheesy and it gets lost within the already green skin and clothes. Would like to see red blood dripping from his wounds again. What's next, a green tongue?

Watching the Gamespot live stage demo sold me on the game. I love those custom combos and the tag team feature. They really paid attention to other popular fighting games. This will be the best MK ever! Please include Kabal, please!

fernoca

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Uhh, not in MK2.

I just think the green blood looks cheesy and it gets lost within the already green skin and clothes. Would like to see red blood dripping from his wounds again. What's next, a green tongue?
Characters were given different/ colored blood starting in MK3, to differentiate them from others. Cybers got black to simulate oil; others got green basically to say they are not as human. ..so people were like "wtf why is this green ninja with green blood.

You can always go back to 1995 and stop the team of doing those changes.. :p

Anyway..going to add the latest (already posted) videos and pics during the rest pf the night.....just in case; since this thread is probably going to die. :lol

fernoca said:
Characters were given different/ colored blood starting in MK3, to differentiate them from others. Cybers got black to simulate oil; others got green basically to say they are not as human. ..so people were like "wtf why is this green ninja with green blood.

You can always go back to 1995 and stop the team of doing those changes.. :p

Anyway..going to add the latest (already posted) videos and pics during the rest pf the night.....just in case; since this thread is probably going to die. :lol

Right, but since this is somewhat of a reboot and it's still early enough to change it, I'm asking for it now =].

There's even red blood dripping from his kidney after being speared in the pit stage...

Again, just don't want to be over saturated with the green stuff.

Enk

makes good threads.
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Right, but since this is somewhat of a reboot and it's still early enough to change it, I'm asking for it now =].

There's even red blood dripping from his kidney after being speared in the pit stage...

Again, just don't want to be over saturated with the green stuff.

Then don't play as Reptile. He's probably the only character that has it. It's nice to have a little variety in the gore types.

G-Fex

I think what would've made Kun Lao's Fatality even better is if his hat blade stalled a little on some chunk of bone in Johnny Cage's spine or skull. But I guess since the hat blade is so sharp it'll cut through anything.

fernoca

Added impression's from Giantbomb, the Gamespot's winner choice pic, the animated gifs posted in the thread, also the pics posted in the thread, the link to Ed Boon's interview from Destructoid and Gamespot's stage demo (along wit ha YouTube link of it)..and some more space's to make it look less cluttered...

I think this is the last E3 update, so we'll see how this game ends as more is shown through the upcoming 9-10 months leading to release.

shuri

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Fucking amazing :O
Go Mortal Kombat, go!

Was there any word on PC version, or is this console-only?
Boon laughed at some guy who suggested a pc version on twitter a long time ago.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Uhh, not in MK2.

Did you miss the screenshot of MK2 I posted clearly showing Reptiles green blood?

It's always been green.

Why do we fucking care about his blood color? We should be rejoicing because this is probably the best thing to happen to MK fans. This is fucking absolutely incredible and I'm just too excited to see the GAF tournaments go down. This is it.

And holy shit, the animation of the characters. What a refreshing turnout for this franchise. Ugh I'm gushing like mad but I'm sure all the MK fans know where I'm coming from.

fernoca

Yeah..they put a lot of care into each character's animations..their intros and outros..how the make a quick winning pose before going to the second round that very same moment..

Draft

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Uhh, not in MK2.

That version of MK2 isn't canon.

All I did was suggest it be changed because it looked pathetic. It definitely won't stop me from enjoying the game. If that's the only thing I'm (still) finding a gripe with, then that says alot about what this game is doing right.

Can anyone screen cap some of the Reptile fight so I can have some sweet PS3 backgrounds please? That'd be awesome.

JdFoX187

Banned
Mo0 said:
To be fair, Mortal Kombat canon is the messiest pile of writing this side of Heroes.
Eh, no worse than any other fighter.

I've been reading up on the MK wiki recently. I pretty much fell out of the series after Trilogy and didn't get back into it until Deception. But where the hell is all of this story coming from? The majority of the endings aren't considered canon, so where is all of it established?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Mortal Kombat's "writing" is god-awful. It's like T-rated Power Rangers.

That said, it's miles above pretty much every other fighting game ever.

Mo0

Well, I think the difference is that most other fighting games aren't even really trying, while Mortal Kombat actually takes its story seriously.

For taking its story seriously, it does a pretty shit job.

Anyanka

JdFoX187 said:
I've been reading up on the MK wiki recently. I pretty much fell out of the series after Trilogy and didn't get back into it until Deception. But where the hell is all of this story coming from? The majority of the endings aren't considered canon, so where is all of it established?

In whatever the next game is. Remember, just because an ending doesn't happen doesn't mean the background information in it isn't true.

Konquest too. A lot of the events of MK3 weren't known until years later in MKDA.

Also there's things from the movies and other media that will randomly be added to the games without any explaination. Like Liu Kang and Kitana had no relationship in 2 or 3 that we knew of. Then in 4 she's asking if he wants to get married.

Magnus

Hold up, this game is being billed as a re-telling of MK 1-3? At least, that's what I gather from skimming the thread.

Awesome!

deadnoob

I honestly don't know why but this is my most anticipated game of E3 I think. I've always been an MK guy. Street Fighter was just never for me. I'm glad to see a new MK game that looks genuinely amazing.

TheHakku said:
Story-wise, it supposedly follows Armageddon. Definitely inspired from the first few games, however.

"Boon says the team is aiming for a dark and gritty look, and in terms of story, the new game will take place after the events of Mortal Kombat Armageddon but will have some time-travel elements in place. "

From gamespot, sure I read it somewhere else as well.

Best guess is some bad guy travels back in time and fucks up all three Mortal Kombats.

Or everyone gets forcibly warped back in time like in Killer Instinct 2.

HadesGigas said:
"Boon says the team is aiming for a dark and gritty look, and in terms of story, the new game will take place after the events of Mortal Kombat Armageddon but will have some time-travel elements in place. "

From gamespot, sure I read it somewhere else as well.

Best guess is some bad guy travels back in time and fucks up all three Mortal Kombats.

Or everyone gets forcibly warped back in time like in Killer Instinct 2.

I'm pretty sure Raiden goes back in time to set things up in such a way that the good guys win. I believe we are left to currently assume that the good guys lost in Mortal Kombat Armageddon canon ending.

Am I the only one who thinks the character models look a little bland, ive always felt that the MK character models looked a little blocky. They just dont look fluid.

adelante

I had like the biggest grin watching that live demo :D One thing that stood out for me was how the game retains the foreboding and nightmarish nature of its levels, especially The Pit 2 with those mo-capped characters fighting each other in the background...so fuckin awesome

mugurumakensei said:
I believe we are left to currently assume that the good guys lost in Mortal Kombat Armageddon canon ending.

Yeah, but essentially its just a clever way for them to reboot the series.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098513p1.html

We're also talking about a new take on the series' story. "Mortal Kombat has this timeline - eighteen years of making games, and we really didn't want to just continue, like, chapter seventeen of the whole story," says Ed Boon, the co-creator of the series. "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."

Why cant ed boon just admit they fucked up on the story, it has so many plotholes. They story is as confusing as Kingdom Hearts' story. How many times are they gonna reboot the story.

parasight

When in doubt, add time travel (aka Reset Button). Mortal Kombat is certainly deserving of a reset, so I don't mind the cheap device.

fernoca

McKeeverFever said:
Why cant ed boon just admit they fucked up on the story, it has so many plotholes. They story is as confusing as Kingdom Hearts' story. How many times are they gonna reboot the story.
Is the first time they reboot the story..
They tried to make a story from the MK-MKTrilogy games; because there were many things that influenced the out of sudden changes in the basic story like:
  • Johnny Cage dying = actor sued the company asking for more money from the home console ports, then was fired for dressing like the chracter and using the image to promote another game.
  • Rayden not being in MK3 because he loses his power with the invasion = apparently a punishment of sorts, because the actor started working on another game that wasn't with Midway; keeping in mind that the actor was a Midway employee and a programmer not an actor hired to just dress like the character.
  • Kitana, Scorpion, unmasked Sub-Zero; among other characters changed from the first 2 games in MK3 = All original actors either were fired or sued Midway wanting more money for the home console ports; or both.
  • Too many -multicolored- ninjas = They looking for ways to have more characters and use less memory
  • Characters like Tanya added in MK4 = Midway telling them to put more new characters and eliminate old characters; in this case Kitana.

And so on...
They tried to fix many things through the years, but ended makine a bigger mess out of everything...it seems.

But this is the first time they reboot the story.
They did experimented with Shaolin Monks which isn't cannon, but more of a side strory made out of rumors and wishes from them and the fanbase through the years.

fernoca said:
Is the first time they reboot the story..
They tried to make a story from the MK-MKTrilogy games; because there were many things that influenced the out of sudden changes in the basic story like:
  • Johnny Cage dying = actor sued the company asking for more money fro mthe home console ports, then was fired for dressing like the chracter and using the image to promote another game.
  • Rayden not being in MK3 because he loses his power with the invasion = apparently a punishment of sorts, because the actor started working on another game that wasn't with Midway; keeping in mind that the actor was a Midway employee and a programmer not an actor hired to just dress like the character.
  • Kitana, Scorpion, unmasked Sub-Zero; among other characters chhanged from the first 2 games in MK3 = All original actors either were fired or sued Midway wanting more money for the home consoel ports; or both.
  • Too many -multicolored- ninjas = They looking for ways to have more characters and use less memory
  • Characters like Tanya added in MK4 = Midway telling them to put more new characters and eliminate old characters; in this case Kitana.

And so on...
They tried to fix many things through the years, but ended makine a bigger mess out of everything...it seems.

But this is the first time they reboot the story.
They did experimented with Shaolin Monks which isn't cannon, but more of a side strory made out of rumors and wishes from them and the fanbase through the years.

Wasnt Armageddon a reboot, I remember Ed Boon saying that whoever died in that game would not be in future instalments of the series, but then again he talks more shit than a politician.

parasight

McKeeverFever said:
Wasnt Armageddon a reboot, I remember Ed Boon saying that whoever died in that game would not be in future instalments of the series, but then again he talks more shit than a politician.

He also said MK 9 wasn't going to have any of the original MK characters and was starting with a brand new story and set of characters on the next gen consoles.

fernoca

McKeeverFever said:
Nope..it was supposed to be "the final chapter" of the story that started with MKI and last game was Deception at that point. Armageddon was (apparently) the result of a contract on which they had to release an MK game every year; so they did it; to then try to start things from the begnning.

As they were going to start again, they were offered/pitched the concept for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and decided to put that reboot on hold.

Top Bottom