• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

fernoca

shuri said:
The fact that Shao Khan turned out to be his brother later on is just.. what the fuck
That was...Mortal Kombat Annhilation (i.e. the movie)...which received input fom John Tobias too.

In the games, all they imply is that at one moment Shao Kahn was "like Raiden"; but desired more power; so went all evil and stuff.. :p

EDIT:
Yeah, then they mentioned it about DC Universe..but that's also a parallel universe kind of thing..like Shaolin Monks.

shuri

Banned
Shaneus said:
What the fuck?

Is there somewhere that has how all the stories panned out? I never really followed who supposedly won each tournament and all the plot twists. Some crazy fan has to have written it all down for me somewhere.
* MK vs DCU: "Raiden: God of Thunder, Protector of Earthrealm. Ageless and wise beyond measure, he is the defender who rallies Earthrealm's mortals to fight against the forces of evil. When his brother, Shao Kahn, Emperor of Outworld, finally invaded Earthrealm, only Raiden and his Forces of Light stood between slavery and freedom. As Earthrealm merged with Outworld, Raiden held the line and fought back against the emperor, defeating him and freeing Earthrealm. It seemed that peace was finally achieved, but the battle for Earthrealm had only just begun."

For everything Mortal Kombat, grab a coffee and set your browser to http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Wiki . EVERYTHING is documented. EVERYTHING

i hope they pretend MK 4 and on never happened and just stick to 1-3 and base any new potential characters on that type of design. Some of the shit in the later games was just goofy (Sub Zero with a shredder helmet and fur coat? All those giant demons and shit) and even the few decent characters, like the blind monk dude, don't really fit into the style of the first games.

Ninja Scooter said:
i hope they pretend MK 4 and on never happened and just stick to 1-3 and base any new potential characters on that type of design. Some of the shit in the later games was just goofy (Sub Zero with a shredder helmet and fur coat? All those giant demons and shit) and even the few decent characters, like the blind monk dude, don't really fit into the style of the first games.
In my personal reality, this is MK4.

as an aside, looking to get some MK fix and I noticed that MK2 is only $5 on PSN right now. Is it a good port? Too bad UMK3 isn't on there though I did noticed it was also removed from XBLA. What was the deal with that? Lastly, are any of the home ports available on VC for Wii?

Shaneus said:
What the fuck?

Is there somewhere that has how all the stories panned out? I never really followed who supposedly won each tournament and all the plot twists. Some crazy fan has to have written it all down for me somewhere.

As someone who has played pretty much all of the games sans Deadly Alliance (barely) I think the coles notes are something like this...

MK1
- Shang Tsung has a tournament and invites fighters around the world
- Scorpion avenges his death and kills Sub-Zero
- Liu Kang wins tournament

MK2
- Shao Kahn has had enough of Shang Tsung, invites fighters to Outworld so he can kill them himself
- gives Shang Tsung youth
- Sonya follows Kano into outworld, both get locked up by Shao Kahn
- Scorpion sees Sub-Zero is still alive, follows him to Outworld and finds out he is the brother of the dead Sub-Zero
- Liu Kang wins tournament

MK3/UMK3
- turns out Shao Kahn created a diversion in Outworld, his real plan was to bring his queen (Sindel) back to life which would give him the power to merge Outworld and Earth
- Sub-Zero and Smoke are marked for death by their clan because they refuse to be turned into a cyborg willingly as Sektor and Cyrax were. Smoke is captured and turned into a cyber ninja, Sub-Zero is on the run
- Liu Kang wins tournament, saves earth

MK4
- fallen Elder god Shinnok alongside Quan Chi kidnap Kitana to try and take over Outworld/gain some amulets power
- Liu Kang wins tournament, saves Kitana

MK5 Deadly Alliance
- Quan Chi and Shang Tsung form Deadly Alliance
- Deadly Alliance kills Shao Kahn
- Shang Tsung kills Liu Kang by snapping his neck
- Deadly Alliance defeats Raiden and succeeds in their goal to revive the army of the dragon king, however, something they didn't anticipate happens...

MK6 Deception
- Shujinko (new character that you play in the rpg mode called "konquest") is revealed to have unknowingly spent his life serving Onaga (and not the Elder Gods as he thought) and ended up performing a chain of events which led to the return of Onaga.
- Reptile's body is used as a surrogate for Onaga to be reborn as the Dragon king
- In one last desperation attempt, Raiden blows himself up (along with Shang Tsung and Quan Chi) to stop Onaga but Onaga survives
- Noob Saibot reveals himself to be the original Sub-Zero
- Raiden reappears but now wears black instead of white
- Liu Kang appears in two forms, his undead corpse which is being used to do evil, and his soul, he ends up reuniting his body and soul by the end of the game

MK7 Armageddon
- Onaga now has his own body and Reptile has been freed
- Liu Kang now exists as a living corpse
- Mortal Kombat fighters are out of control, Elder Gods response is to kill a shitload of people to keep things under control via Blaze
- character named Taven goes on a long journey which results in him killing Blaze and becoming the protector of Edenia. The problem of the realms becoming unstable remains unresolved.

MK8 MK vs DC Universe
- not a canon game

MK9
- Shao Kahn (who didn't die at the hands of the Deadly Alliance; his clone was killed) defeats Raiden and before he can deliver the final blow Raiden sends a message back in time to himself during the MK1 era
- according to Boon, during MK9 we are going to see similar events unfold that occured from MK1-3 but not everything will be the same, Liu Kang might not win every tournament, some other people might be turned into Cyborgs, etc

Snaku

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
MK9
- Shao Kahn (who somehow didn't die at the hands of the Deadly Alliance)

In the PSP port of Deception, Shao Kahn magically cloned himself as a decoy while he and Goro gathered their strength to take over Outworld again. The clone was killed.

Wallach

Okay... I am way too hype for this game right now. Is Mortal Kombat really coming back?? It seems so unreal. This looks amazing.

Shaneus

infinityBCRT said:
As someone who has played pretty much all of the games sans Deadly Alliance (barely) I think the coles notes are something like this...
Awesome. From what it looks like, everything got confusing and essentially turned to shit after 3. Thanks!

Foil

Ninja Scooter said:

Agreed, though I think Ermac's design was fantastic in MKD. Then again he was in UMK3 so he fits with the earlier crop. Hell I remember people talking about him being in the original MK game way back when.

Foil said:
Agreed, though I think Ermac's design was fantastic in MKD. Then again he was in UMK3 so he fits with the earlier crop. Hell I remember people talking about him being in the original MK game way back when.
yeah, I think MKD is waaay waay underestimated in these parts. If you stuck around and played through konquest in that game, as janky as it was, it had some of the best MK story stuff in there, and there were a bunch of new characters that were cool and unique. They kinda pissed it away in Armageddon though by basically cutting and pasting moves and stances from Deception characters and ruining the uniqueness of a bunch of them.

fernoca

One big contradiction is that technically; there hasn't been an "official tournament" since the one i n Shag Tsung's island (the first game..)..

MKII was a fake tournament created by Shao Kahn, MK3 was the invasion, MK4 was the quest of a fallen Elder God to get more power, Deadly Alliance was more like a quest of the characters after Liu Kang's death to know more about why Shang Tsung and Quan Chi joined forces..the same game mentions the fact that the Deadluy Alliance created a fake tournament in Outworld to recruit strong warriors to serve as vessells for Onaga's army (which is were Li Mei came in); Deception was Shujinko's "betrayalton"; Armageddon was every warrior beign out of control, wanting more power..

Yet, somehow..Liu Kang has medals for 4 of those "tournaments"..and the Elder Gods who created the tournament in first place to maintain rules and traditions decided to ignore everything and do nothing through the years.. :p

And every warrior out of control, yet..they organize each others into ladders instead of looking to kill their sworn enemies at random.. :p

As crappy as Annihilation was; they hadled the whole invasion thing quite well..compared to the own games.."Look the world was invaded; lets take turns and fight"..heck Sub-Zero was in the run from Sektor and Cyrax..yet he takes a break to participate in a tournament, on which the ones following also enlisted themselves to participate..while the whole world was just invaded.

Is not like it has to make sense..but still... :lol

fernoca said:
One big contradiction is that technically; there hasn't been a tournament since the one i
n Shag Tsung's island (the first game..)..

MKII was a fake tournament created by Shao Kahn, MK3 was the invasion, MK4 was the quest of a fallen Elder God to get more power, Deadly Alliance was more like a quest of the characters after Liu Kang's death to know more about why Shang Tsung and Quan Chi joined forces..the same game mentions the fact that the Deadluy Alliance created a fake tournament in Outworld to recruit strong warriors to serve as vessells for Onaga's army (which is were Li Mei came in); Deception was Shujinko's "betrayalton"; Armageddon was every warrior beign out of control, wanting more power..

Yet, somehow..Liu Kang has medals for 4 of those "tournaments"..and the Elder Gods who created the tournament in first place to maintain rules and traditions decided to ignore everything and do nothing through the years.. :p

And every warrior out of control, yet..they organize each others into ladders instead of looking to kill their sworn enemies at random.. :p

As crappy as Annihilation was; they hanlded the whole invasion thing quite well..compared to the own games.."Look the world was invaded; lets take turns and fight"..heck Sub-Zero was in the run from Sektor and Cyrax..yet he takes a break to participate in a tournament, on which the ones following also enlisted themselves to participate..while the whole world was just invaded.

Is not like it has to make sense..but still... :lol
I don't think they took Armageddon too seriously. They knew it was going to come out late for the console generation and I guess Midway wanted them to shove something out there because they were dying. You can pretty much ignore that game anyway because nothing ended up being resolved in that story.

edit: realized you were talking about the horrible movie Annihilation and not Armageddon

fernoca

Yeah...
As far as contracts go, they had to release a Mortal Kombat game every year..even if they didn't wanted to.

At least WB seems to giving them more time...at least for now..

TreIII

Foil said:

That was a glitch. Ermac's name in itself originally stood for "Error Macro". :lol

Any way, I am glad to hear that they're going back to basics again, with some "twists". I guess hanging around DC for a spell taught them the nice things that can result from some nice "Zero Hour-style retcons". :D

Barrage

shuri said:
In MK1, Raiden was an asswipe. He was just an asshole thunder god who wanted to take part in the tournament so he possessed a random body and went at it. His ending was about him inviting other gods to the tournament because it was so much fun, and the fights became out of control and eventually destroyed humanity.

It would be awesome if that whole reboot had Raiden turning into a bad guy, or just an asshole who's in this for amusement.

The fact that Shao Khan turned out to be his brother later on is just.. what the fuck

Too late.

In the last two MK Games, Raiden has been leaning towards being either an anti-hero or a villain, essentially.

In fact, in the last MK he makes a deal where he's essentially working for Shao Kahn! What a punk bitch.

Judging by what we know from MK9's story, it's safe to say this latest shit might end up being ignored.

im sorry but they need to redesign reptile. he looks terrible, not menacing at all, especially the eyes. he looks like he just wants to enjoy the sights

JustHadToJoin said:
im sorry but they need to redesign reptile. he looks terrible, not menacing at all, especially the eyes. he looks like he just wants to enjoy the sights

I prefer the human looking Reptile to what he has become since the 3D games.

I can see why they wanted to make him different from the other ninjas, but he's just way too far gone from the original look.

Anyanka

well I for one support a friendly looking Reptile. That guy is misunderstood. He's not evil, he's just working as a bodyguard for his government. All he's ever really wanted is a female to mate with.

Foil

Didn't they say that every character would have two costumes? Maybe Reptiles other look will be closer to the one he had in MK2/UMK3?

If they do have atleast two outfits per character hopefully Smoke will be there in ninja and robot form as well. I think they did this with MKD/MKA, although they really screwed up both of his designs in that game.

Anyanka

Yes Ed confirmed at least two costumes.

I'd imagine Smoke will have both because of the story mode, they'll have a model for him before and after. (unless the past is indeed changed).

Denzar

What characters would you guys like to see?

No characters past MK3 have been announced, so that might be an indication... (Not that I'm going to miss Bo Rai Cho, Darrius, etc...)

Stryker, Kabal, Kano, would be cool additions IMO.

Liu Kang has to be in there too.

Also, please no characters like Onaga, Goro, Kintaro, etc...

HadesGigas said:
I prefer the human looking Reptile to what he has become since the 3D games.

I can see why they wanted to make him different from the other ninjas, but he's just way too far gone from the original look.
best reptile design is from Shaolin Monks. If this is happening during the MK1 era theres no reason for him to have a radically different look. Really hoping the current Reptile look is the alt.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn the game actually looks great.

Shame it will never be released here in australia. Maybe we can get a green blood version or something :lol

Mar

JustHadToJoin said:

Well yeah. Reptile was an awesome character back in the old games. Later on he just looked like a 5 year old went mad with 3D Studio Max.

These:

reptilemk2.gif
reptilemk3.gif

Vs these:

reptilemk4.gif
reptilemk42.gif

derFeef

I should be doing hw said:
Looks fucking amazing. Can't beleive that was a Mortal Kombat game :lol
Where are the 'it's too violent' bitches the plagued GoW3 threads at?
Hm, maybe the ones that loved MK back then are adults now? But some fatalities are a bit close to the bone for me. Still awesome.

Replicant

Mar said:
Well yeah. Reptile was an awesome character back in the old games. Later on he just looked like a 5 year old went mad with 3D Studio Max.

These:

reptilemk2.gif
reptilemk3.gif

YES! to these. NEIN! to the crappy lizard.

fernoca said:
That was...Mortal Kombat Annhilation (i.e. the movie)...which received input fom John Tobias too.

In the games, all they imply is that at one moment Shao Kahn was "like Raiden"; but desired more power; so went all evil and stuff.. :p

EDIT:
Yeah, then they mentioned it about DC Universe..but that's also a parallel universe kind of thing..like Shaolin Monks.
Shaolin Monks wasn't a parallel universe. It was a nostalgia trip.

Mar said:

These:

reptilemk2.gif
reptilemk3.gif

Vs these:

reptilemk4.gif
reptilemk42.gif
I love this design from Shaolin Monks/MKA

Mk_monks_reptile_render1.png

Anyanka

You know, they claim Shaolin Monks is an alternate universe, but then in MK Armageddon they reference Kung Lao's rivarly with Liu Kang, which was never there until SM. I think SM, or at least parts of it, has replaced MK II and they just had John Vogel say otherwise as damage control when fans hated the story changes in SM.

Anyanka said:
You know, they claim Shaolin Monks is an alternate universe, but then in MK Armageddon they reference Kung Lao's rivarly with Liu Kang, which was never there until SM. I think SM, or at least parts of it, has replaced MK II and they just had John Vogel say otherwise as damage control when fans hated the story changes in SM.
Was there any major retcons though? Other than the Kung Lao and Liu Kang rivalry which I think fit perfectly anyway, it pretty much was MK1+MK2 with some definition given to the series of events.

I don't know if it was Midway's decision or the MK team's decision, but I think they seriously under appreciated Shaolin Monks. Was an awesome game and totally should have had a sequel by now. That studio did not deserve to be relegated to making crappy TNA games (and eventually shut down).

Under WB hopefully they have the leeway to do what they want, and if thats the case they need to port Shaolin Monks to XBLA/PSN and add online co-op. In fact, most of the MK back catalog needs to be brought to XBLA/PSN. I lucked out this weekend and found a brand new copy of MK Kollection for PS2 (Deception, SM, Armageddon) but for most people it will probably be impossible to find those games, you almost never see them in the used section of any game stores (which by the way is an indicator that they should reissue these games, its a no-brainer; its obvious theres some demand there for these older MK games if used copies are rare).

Boon has had a few mysterious tweets mentioning Shaolin Monks early in MK9's development, I'm hoping that means that there may be some sort of separate mode in MK9 which is like Shaolin Monks.

Anyanka

I liked the change of Kung Lao's backstory and personality in MKSM. It gave him more character than just being "the guy that's related to OG Kung Lao". The way they act like kids is stupid though. These guys are monks and Kung Lao is hassling him for liking Kitana.

There's a bunch of minor plot holes and retcons in SM besides that. In MK II Kitana was loyal to Kahn all her life and discovered the truth through her work as an assassin. In SM she is under a spell. Jax is able to go to Outworld as if it's no big deal. Sub-Zero already knows his older brother is Noob Saibot(also there's the origin of his scar controversy). Johnny Cage kills Goro in Outworld. But whatever. The biggest problem with SM's plot is the twist ending where Quan Chi grabs Shinnok's amulet from Shao Kahn's body. This makes no sense. At that point in the MK timeline Quan Chi would have already had the amulet(he got it in Mythologies, before MK1!) and Shao Kahn had no connection to it. One of the dumbest retcons ever in MK.

A SM sequel with Sub-Zero and Scorpion was in pre production but was canceled when Midway was dying.

Top Bottom