• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

Yousefb

McKeeverFever said:
Yeh actually I remeber him saying that, also what ever happend to the dark and gritty MK that was supposed to be in production, all lies.
I think this one is supposed to be the gritty re imagining, at first glance it didn't look very different from MK vs DC, but after watching the gameplay vids it does seem a bit a darker and has a moodier atmosphere imo. Of course its not like the old games but still.. I'm excited! :D

fernoca

McKeeverFever said:
Yeh actually I remeber him saying that, also what ever happend to the dark and gritty MK that was supposed to be in production, all lies.
As said, many things happened....the pitch of MK vs DC Universe, Midway going to bankruptcy; they were about to just lose their jobs too. And that was just in 3 years (he said that about a gritty MK game in February 2007, after seeing Gears of War and getting the Unreal Engine).

Whoa! It´s like the nineties again!

New Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter 4
Marvel vs Capcom 3
dmd4y9.gif

Now SNK, get your shit together and release an awesome The King of Fighters.

OT: Bet some puritan/lunatic asshole(s) will not let slide the chance of blaming it for violence, drugs, teen pregnancy, climate changes, pedophiles in church, terrorism, earthquakes, NWO, reptilians etc?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yousefb said:
I think this one is supposed to be the gritty re imagining, at first glance it didn't look very different from MK vs DC, but after watching the gameplay vids it does seem a bit a darker and has a moodier atmosphere imo. Of course its not like the old games but still.. I'm excited! :D

Uh what? This game just screams the gameplay style, and atmosphere of a modern day MK2.

Replicant

fernoca said:
Is the first time they reboot the story..
They tried to make a story from the MK-MKTrilogy games; because there were many things that influenced the out of sudden changes in the basic story like:
  • Johnny Cage dying = actor sued the company asking for more money from the home console ports, then was fired for dressing like the chracter and using the image to promote another game.
  • Rayden not being in MK3 because he loses his power with the invasion = apparently a punishment of sorts, because the actor started working on another game that wasn't with Midway; keeping in mind that the actor was a Midway employee and a programmer not an actor hired to just dress like the character.
  • Kitana, Scorpion, unmasked Sub-Zero; among other characters changed from the first 2 games in MK3 = All original actors either were fired or sued Midway wanting more money for the home console ports; or both.
  • Too many -multicolored- ninjas = They looking for ways to have more characters and use less memory
  • Characters like Tanya added in MK4 = Midway telling them to put more new characters and eliminate old characters; in this case Kitana.

And so on...
They tried to fix many things through the years, but ended makine a bigger mess out of everything...it seems.

LOL. What a bunch of EPIC FAILS. Anything they've done after UMK3 has been nothing but disaster. I really hope that this one really is the comeback for MK we've been waiting for.

Bleepey

Youta Mottenai said:
Whoa! It´s like the nineties again!

New Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter 4
Marvel vs Capcom 3
dmd4y9.gif

Now SNK, get your shit together and release an awesome The King of Fighters.

OT: Bet some puritan/lunatic asshole(s) will not let slide the chance of blaming it for violence, drugs, teen pregnancy, climate changes, pedophiles in church, terrorism, earthquakes, NWO, reptilians etc?

All we need is the Dreamcast 2 and we are in heaven. But i suppose that's the 360. Comic book rennaisance, fighting game rennaisance, feels good man.

All this MK talk inspired me to d/l MK Unchained (Deception) off PSN today. Still as fun as I remember it, although perhaps the high jumps of Armageddon have spoiled me a little.

eshwaaz

Yousefb said:

It's not just the atmosphere; the whole presentation is more serious. Movements and reactions are more grounded, with much of the goofiness of previous entries removed. Characters no longer slip and flail comically on Sub Zero's ground ice, launchers send characters into the air in a less exaggerated fashion, etc.

Personally, I love the change. Even though the game is still about superhuman/supernatural moves and combat there's much less over-the-top wackiness. It gives the violence an edge and impact that it's not had in ages - fatalities had become such laughable caricatures of themselves that they'd elicit nothing but sighs and eye rolls. Look at the reactions in this thread - when was the last time anyone had a genuine "oh my GOD" reaction to anything MK-related?

grkazan12

All this mk talk has motivated me to dl mk2 for psn. Now I always loved mk but man it's hard to get back in the swing of things. Is there a tutorial on effective ways to string combos? Sorry if I'm sounding like a noob guys

scitek

Saw it in person. Looked great. They mentioned in the presentation that the animations are entirely physics based and no longer canned.

I cant believe the damn animation is this nice in a mortal kombat game. Seriously, who would have ever expected this from them? This shit looks so nice, and I like how they actually have flow up animation instead of just going to the point of contact and then pulling back. Makes it feel like the characters have some actual weight to them. Me likes :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
abstract alien said:
I cant believe the damn animation is this nice in a mortal kombat game. Seriously, who would have ever expected this from them? This shit looks so nice, and I like how they actually have flow up animation instead of just going to the point of contact and then pulling back. Makes it feel like the characters have some actual weight to them. Me likes :D
I liked how technical the juggle system looked. I'm actually interested in this after being disappointed with the direction the series was going after MK4.

Ive always wanted to backhand someone into the mouth of one of the trees in the living forest, but you never could :^(

SapientWolf said:
I liked how technical the juggle system looked. I'm actually interested in this after being disappointed with the direction the series was going after MK4.
Most definitely. Looks like its just fun as hell to toy with like the old ones.

G-Fex

I think the trees look a lot creepier in the old games, especially since you can see a farmer or whatever being choked by vines and dying. And their creepy moaning sound. It was a haunting background.

ArjanN

Mr_Zombie said:
Damn you Boon, I'm playing SF4 on PC just fine, just like I've played MK1-MK4 :/

Yeah, I don't see how a PC version would not make money. It's already an XBOX360 game so the work is like 80% done already.

There's definately a market for high-quality PC fighting games, if you market them right.

I can see a PC version happening, if (And by that I mean when) this new Mortal Kombat is a huge success.

Deepack said:
Has this been posted?

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266626/

Looks AMAZING
yeah, was posted as it was happening live :D

ArjanN said:
Yeah, I don't see how a PC version would not make money. It's already an XBOX360 game so the work is like 80% done already.

There's definately a market for high-quality PC fighting games, if you market them right.

I can see a PC version happening, if (And by that I mean when) this new Mortal Kombat is a huge success.

There are people who buy their games on consoles but will pirate them on PC (because its easy or no risk of getting banned), this is why most publishers will wait 6 months to publish a PC version if at all to force those who would have pirated it to buy it. If its not one of those PC staples like a game from Valve or id where people will throw money to play it, its just not worth putting it on PC unless you've got some good copy protection.

ArjanN

infinityBCRT said:
There are people who buy their games on consoles but will pirate them on PC (because its easy or no risk of getting banned), this is why most publishers will wait 6 months to publish a PC version if at all to force those who would have pirated it to buy it. If its not one of those PC staples like a game from Valve or id where people will throw money to play it, its just not worth putting it on PC unless you've got some good copy protection.

True, but you also have a lot of PC gamers that won't buy the game because they don't have a PS3 or XBOX360.

Some ideas:

- Put out a demo with 1-2 backgrounds and 2-4 characters.

- Get some good copy protection. Mortal Kombat is already a multiplayer-focused game anyway, which should only make this easier. They are already going to have DLC characters, so if you occasionally update/release DLC it becomes very annoying to have to keep manually patching your pirated version.
I'm also pretty sure you can get much longer lifetime sales on PC through direct download stores like Steam.

- Release it 6 months later (...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little)

Replicant

abstract alien said:
Lol, but thats different. I wanna do it to a close friend sitting next to me in a vs game to display my dominance over them :D

You don't need Mortal Kombat for that. You can always FHUTA.

Holy freaking shit. I have not been hyped up for a MK game in more than a decade, but... wow. I think this has my attention moreso than even MvC3. Just loved everything about it: the artstyle, the fluid animation, the flexible fighting system, the brutality... What an awesome time to be a fighting game fan :D

dankir

Games looking hot!

Question about the X ray move: Is it just like a ex move with 3 levels of meter? Do you just throw out a special move and you get all the damage or do you have to combo into it?

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Holy freaking shit. I have not been hyped up for a MK game in more than a decade, but... wow. I think this has my attention moreso than even MvC3. Just loved everything about it: the artstyle, the fluid animation, the flexible fighting system, the brutality... What an awesome time to be a fighting game fan :D

exactly how i feel as well

TheHakku

dankir said:
Question about the X ray move: Is it just like a ex move with 3 levels of meter? Do you just throw out a special move and you get all the damage or do you have to combo into it?
Looks like you can perform it as long as the meter is filled. Performing a combo into it just adds much, much more damage to said combo... though not more damage to the x-ray move, which in itself is devastating.

dankir said:
Games looking hot!

the first level of the meter lets you do an EX-like move (which is just a stronger version of a special move), the second level of the meter lets you do a combo breaker and the full meter lets you do an x-ray move (which is basically a super combo)

TreIII

Daaaaaaamn. That's looking quite good. Has Boon actually made a decently technical MK game on purpose this time around? :lol

fernoca

DMczaf said:
When are we getting War Gods 2?
:p
Made by different people, have to email George Petro about it... ;)

Anyway..
One thing I haven't seen mentioend around; since everyone's talking about returning characters, 26 characters plus DLC..but what about new characters?

Even Armageddon which was Trilogy 2..introduced Daegon, Taven, Delia (non playable), Argis (non playabale)..

Jerrod (Kitana's father) is a character that has been teased for more than a decade; with rumors describing it as a tall,shaved, black man, with a goatee and a deep voice....that apparently also uses fans like Kitana to fight...

Who knows...

NewLib

Banned
fernoca said:
:p
Made by different people, have to email George Petro about it... ;)

Anyway..
One thing I haven't seen mentioend around; since everyone's talking about returning characters, 26 characters plus DLC..but what about new characters?

Even Armageddon which was Trilogy 2..introduced Daegon, Taven, Delia (non playable), Argis (non playabale)..

Jerrod (Kitana's father) is a character that has been teased for more than a decade; with rumors describing it as a tall,shaved, black man, with a goatee and a deep voice....that apparently also uses fans like Kitana to fight...

Who knows...

The plot of the game (basically a retelling of Mortal Kombat I - III) seems to make it unlikely for new characters but who knows.

shuri

Banned
fernoca said:
Is the first time they reboot the story..
They tried to make a story from the MK-MKTrilogy games; because there were many things that influenced the out of sudden changes in the basic story like:
  • Johnny Cage dying = actor sued the company asking for more money from the home console ports, then was fired for dressing like the chracter and using the image to promote another game.
  • Rayden not being in MK3 because he loses his power with the invasion = apparently a punishment of sorts, because the actor started working on another game that wasn't with Midway; keeping in mind that the actor was a Midway employee and a programmer not an actor hired to just dress like the character.
  • Kitana, Scorpion, unmasked Sub-Zero; among other characters changed from the first 2 games in MK3 = All original actors either were fired or sued Midway wanting more money for the home console ports; or both.
  • Too many -multicolored- ninjas = They looking for ways to have more characters and use less memory
  • Characters like Tanya added in MK4 = Midway telling them to put more new characters and eliminate old characters; in this case Kitana.

And so on...
They tried to fix many things through the years, but ended makine a bigger mess out of everything...it seems.

But this is the first time they reboot the story.
They did experimented with Shaolin Monks which isn't cannon, but more of a side strory made out of rumors and wishes from them and the fanbase through the years.
Also John Tobias left the team, and he was the mastermind behind the storyline and design of the game. His depearture is obvious in MK4 where all the new characters are WTF-inducing or feel like rejects. Actually every newpost-Tobias era characters were AWFUL.

In MK1, Raiden was an asswipe. He was just an asshole thunder god who wanted to take part in the tournament so he possessed a random body and went at it. His ending was about him inviting other gods to the tournament because it was so much fun, and the fights became out of control and eventually destroyed humanity.

It would be awesome if that whole reboot had Raiden turning into a bad guy, or just an asshole who's in this for amusement.

The fact that Shao Khan turned out to be his brother later on is just.. what the fuck

shuri said:
Also John Tobias left the team, and he was the mastermind behind the storyline and design of the game. His depearture is obvious in MK4 where all the new characters are WTF-inducing or feel like rejects. Actually every newpost-Tobias era characters were AWFUL.

In MK1, Raiden was an asswipe. He was just an asshole thunder god who wanted to take part in the tournament so he possessed a random body and went at it. His ending was about him inviting other gods to the tournament because it was so much fun, and the fights became out of control and eventually destroyed humanity.

It would be awesome if that whole reboot had Raiden turning into a bad guy, or just an asshole who's in this for amusement.

The fact that Shao Khan turned out to be his brother later on is just.. what the fuck
I liked Bo Rai Cho, Havik, Kenshi and Hotaru from Deception. Also, Ermac had a kickass redesign.

When did they say Shao Kahn was Raiden's brother?

edit: according to wiki in the second MK movie they were brothers which doesn't really count IMO. Also says that in MKvsDC it was mentioned in Raiden's bio, but again, not sure if that counts, wasn't really a canonical game.

Shaneus

shuri said:
What the fuck?

Is there somewhere that has how all the stories panned out? I never really followed who supposedly won each tournament and all the plot twists. Some crazy fan has to have written it all down for me somewhere.

Top Bottom