• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

Oh ya, if they have a Konquest and a Krypt, I would be in heaven. Those are the only two things I liked about the new school MK games.

Ed Boon seems so sweet and humble in interviews. :D Like he shouldn't even be making these kind of games.

Srider

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am excited about this new Mortal Kombat game.

Everything looks and sounds amazing.

Manus

Mr. E. Yis said:
Oh ya, if they have a Konquest and a Krypt, I would be in heaven. Those are the only two things I liked about the new school MK games.

Ed Boon seems so sweet and humble in interviews. :D Like he shouldn't even be making these kind of games.

I like seeing him with that smile on his face. Good to see his series getting some well deserved attention.

Anyanka

JustHadToJoin said:
Is kung lao a fan favorite? Because if he wasn't before you can easily see that he's going to become one now

Not on the level of Scorpion and Sub-Zero but yes. He was great in MK II and a top character in UMK3 so he's very popular amongst competitive players.

Stage demo was excellent.

JohngPR

Wow, this game looks amazing.

Instantly, I feel like it's 1994 and I'm 14 years old tricking my dad into buying me MK II on SNES because he didn't know any better. LOL

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
maybe the will have an update that will generate random codes or random requierements so that the way you unlock certain secret is different in almost every machine, that would spice things up a little

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
Has it been said if there is going to be a Konquest (single player) mode?
Jenga said:
doubt it

but this is supposed to span all of MK 1-3 so anything is possible.
A story mode was confirmed some time ago..don't have nay link handy; was described as deeper than the one in previous games, plus voice actors for Kitana, Sonya and Scorpion already did their parts..which I doubt they got mostly the same actors from vs. DC Universe, just to do screams of agony and grunts.. ;p

But who knows.

fernoca said:
A story mode was confirmed some time ago..don't have nay link handy; was described as deeper than the one in previous games, plus voice actors for Kitana, Sonya and Scorpion already did their parts..which I doubt they got mostly the same actors from vs. DC Universe, just to do screams of agony and grunts.. ;p

But who knows.

A regular story mode is much different than the Konquest mode of running around towns and the Netherrealm to talk to and fight different people and find hidden coins. :D I loved that mode, and want it amplified 10x, like a mini Yakuza or Shenmue in my Mortal Kombat game. How great would that be! Or maybe a Konquest/story mode in the style of the MK Mythologies game. :D

strideramc

Finally got the stage demo to work. Makes me even more hyped for this game. The wait until next spring is going to be a long one.

Some screens

mk9_gse3live03.jpg

mk9_gse3live04.jpg

mk9_gse3live05.jpg

Scorpvsub.jpg

Bleepey

Preordered, Day 1, with arcade sticks. Holy shit fighting game renaissance, all that's needed now is GGPO netcode or netcode that's based upon it and i can die happy.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I have only one question.

will TOASTY return? i guess not, but they should find something to replace it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am a pretty big Mortal Kombat fan, but I'm sorry guys I'm simply not sold on this game. MK is a franchise that in my opinion should've stayed 2D. Going back to a 2D-esque gameplay style is nice and all, but it isn't enough. I wanted a true 2D MK game. There is simply nothing appealing about the way MK characters and stages look in a 3D environment. The photorealistic digitized graphics of the original 3 games were part of their charm, and I wish Ed Boon and him team would realize that. Is it really that difficult to do a new digitized motion captured 2D game with slightly better animation and graphics using today's technology?

Oh well, I will continue to enjoy playing the original 2D games with my buddy, and hope the day will come when we see them emulated in FBA and brought to GGPO. Now THAT will be the biggest and best MK related news EVER for me!

Nyx

isamu said:
I am a pretty big Mortal Kombat fan, but I'm sorry guys I'm simply not sold on this game.

To each his own, but imo you're not a fan at all if you ain't psyched by that stage demo.

Chuckie

I haven't played MK in a looooooooooooooong time.... but this... this looks awesome! And for the first time in a long while I am actually a bit shocked with some of the X-ray violence and fatalaties.... that is a good thing! Makes me think back to the good old 'MKI in the arcade'-days haha.

ethic

isamu said:
Is it really that difficult to do a new digitized motion captured 2D game with slightly better animation and graphics using today's technology?

No, it isn't difficult. It's just stupid and pointless.

fernoca

isamu said:
Is it really that difficult to do a new digitized motion captured 2D game with slightly better animation and graphics using today's technology?
Yep; it is..

I'm not in the mood to write long-ass explanations,..:p
But is basically the same reason as to why many studios abandoned traditional animation, sprites, etc..when it comes to "HD"..

The case here being that 1 picture is 1 frame, and unlike making sprites when they can already choose to make a clear background, here they have to photograph in front of a blue/green screen, then take that picture, take out that background, then clean the borders..then multiply that by every frame of animation of just that 1 move, then for each frame of that 1 character, then multiply it by all 24+ characters.

That's not including schedule, time, money, casting, actors, making clothes, individual contracts for each actor; multiplied by them having to arrange for their contracts to allow using their image not only on each console, but on advertisements, pictures and possible re-releases in the future..

Now try dealing with all that in under 2 years, and with a relatively small budget....along with the many things I missed (testing, backgrounds, music, planning, etc..)

Xray moves are just brutal.

They should not be getting off the ground after one of those :lol

Game is looking fanfuckingtastic. I really hope they won't have to dial back on the fatalities to avoid getting an AO rating.

GrayFoxPL

parasight said:
Yeah I noticed that; Mileena too. I guess since it's a tag match, you can just finish them into the stage fatality in the 3rd round.

Nah, it's the last hit that just makes them fall into pit automaticly. In old games they just exploded. Now it's more fancy.

The game is looking great even if there's still tons of copy-paste work it here.

I noticed slowdown on the bridge stage, I hope they'll optimise it.

Socorpion's fatality was awesome.

Johnny Cage is back!

Xater

Just watched the Gamespot thing and wow this game looks great!

I think they also actually improved in the animation department.

DD-11

JustHadToJoin said:
he must have forgotten about the internet. anything supposed to be a seccret will be found and spoiled day one youtube

Who needs the internet when common sense is all one needs: it's Goro, for one anyway.

Jonm1010

Banned
Seeing some of these fatalities worries me that this game may end up getting stuck with an AO rating and then have to get dulled down.

I mean I remember Thrill Kill and Manhunt 2 getting slapped with it and both didnt seem nearly as graphic as what is being shown in mortal kombat.

Hope im wrong though.

Xapati

This is getting into Gurochan territory. Hey guys, let's see what happens when we SLICE THIS HOT CHICK IN HALF?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna go all moral on anybody here, but sometimes I wonder if this is all really necessary.

DD-11

Xapati said:
This is getting into Gurochan territory. Hey guys, let's see what happens when we SLICE THIS HOT CHICK IN HALF?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna go all moral on anybody here, but sometimes I wonder if this is all really necessary.

Sort of agree. That was always the reason MK never really matched up with SF, they are too interested in the gore and the gameplay has always suffered.

Bleepey

I hope the comedic aspect and it's sheer over the topness save it from bannings in plcaes outside of Germany, maybe even in Australia. Maybe they can argue that MK characters are resurrected more times than Jean Grey so they can excape bannings but who knows. lol

S1kkZ

Jonm1010 said:
Seeing some of these fatalities worries me that this game may end up getting stuck with an AO rating and then have to get dulled down.

I mean I remember Thrill Kill and Manhunt 2 getting slapped with it and both didnt seem nearly as graphic as what is being shown in mortal kombat.

Hope im wrong though.
shaolin monks had much harder and brutal fatalities and it got an m-rating.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Since the game takes place after Armageddon but during the timeline of MK1-3 that means we might see some characters from the later games making an appearance...possibly changing the events of MK1-3.

I'm hoping that Quan Chi, Tanya, and Kenshi make the cut. They were the best new characters post MK3 IMO. I'm kinda surprised Nightwolf made the cut. I didn't think anyone liked him. Hopefully Stryker doesn't take up a spot. You could leave Noob Saibot, Smoke, and Ermac out too and I'd be fine with that. 3 Ninjas is enough. Kenshi would be a good replacement for Ermac since they share similar moves and Smoke is just a combination of Scorpion and Sektor so he's just a tad redundant.

Monocle

isamu said:
I am a pretty big Mortal Kombat fan, but I'm sorry guys I'm simply not sold on this game. MK is a franchise that in my opinion should've stayed 2D. Going back to a 2D-esque gameplay style is nice and all, but it isn't enough. I wanted a true 2D MK game. There is simply nothing appealing about the way MK characters and stages look in a 3D environment. The photorealistic digitized graphics of the original 3 games were part of their charm, and I wish Ed Boon and him team would realize that. Is it really that difficult to do a new digitized motion captured 2D game with slightly better animation and graphics using today's technology?

Oh well, I will continue to enjoy playing the original 2D games with my buddy, and hope the day will come when we see them emulated in FBA and brought to GGPO. Now THAT will be the biggest and best MK related news EVER for me!
With respect, you're being way too picky. I can't change your opinion of the art style, but I can point out that the gameplay looks better than that of any MK game since the 2D era, and that the graphics are distinctly informed by look of the older MKs. A reasonable fan would forgive the game for failing to correspond exactly to his personal preferences, and acknowledge that the title appears to be more faithful to its origins than any other MK in this and the previous generation.

Monocle

Baron Aloha said:
Since the game takes place after Armageddon but during the timeline of MK1-3 that means we might see some characters from the later games making an appearance...possibly changing the events of MK1-3.

I'm hoping that Quan Chi, Tanya, and Kenshi make the cut. They were the best new characters post MK3 IMO. I'm kinda surprised Nightwolf made the cut. I didn't think anyone liked him. Hopefully Stryker doesn't take up a spot. You could leave Noob Saibot, Smoke, and Ermac out too and I'd be fine with that. 3 Ninjas is enough. Kenshi would be a good replacement for Ermac since they share similar moves and Smoke is just a combination of Scorpion and Sektor so he's just a tad redundant.
I like Shujinko more than most of the newer characters, if only because he was so absurdly broken in Deception. Just imagine the combos he could pull off with the new system. Kenshi is the obvious first choice if post-UMK3 characters will be playable.

I definitely want Smoke. His human version is my second favorite of the ninjas, tied with Sub-Zero after Scorpion.

eshwaaz

S1kkZ said:
shaolin monks had much harder and brutal fatalities and it got an m-rating.

True, but visuals have come a long way since then and you're seeing these fatalities up close and personal with tons of gory details, so I'm also concerned about them being toned down.

Top Bottom