• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore's Law Is Dead Claims To Have Received Insider Information About the PlayStation 5 That is Amazing If It's True

RaySoft

It is one of the 40 CUs. They used one of the extra compute units and utilized it for the Tempest Engine. Its hardly something secret.

"The Tempest Engine is a re-purposed GPU compute unit, inspired by the PS3's SPUs with an SIMD performance and bandwidth comparable to eight PS4 CPU cores combined."

"The Tempest Engine is effectively a re-engineered AMD GPU compute unit, stripped of its caches and relying solely on DMA transfers - just like a PS3 SPU. In turn, this opens the door to full utilisation of the CU's vector units."

"The PS5's Tempest Engine actually leverages an entire GPU compute unit for audio processing."

Yes it’s based on a CU, but it’s not counted as one. It has it’s own interconnect and is not clustered together with the other CU`s on the die.

Dnice1

So anything custom = RDNA ... 3 now? lol

Whats interesting to me is I post a tweet that a verified Sony Graphic Engineers tweeted that PS5 is between RDNA 1 and 2. I'm given 24 hours to provide proof the tweet is real or be banned. Come to find out the tweet is real, but the Engineer retracts and claims he was tired when he wrote it.

Conversely one of the many youtubers with "insiders" claims his sources says the PS5 geometry engine is RDNA 3. Oh we gone let the rumor ride even though geometry engine is already mentioned in the RDNA white paper. https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/rdna-whitepaper.pdf

I digress.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Lol that tech stuff sounds bs personally. Why wouldn’t cerny mention it in the specs talk?
They dont hide the tech of a console after they have spoke about it like they have to hide games etc?

Socom done right would be amazing though.
Im hoping its a RPG. Or Jak n Daxter, thats more Cerny’s realm

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Whats interesting to me is I post a tweet that a verified Sony Graphic Engineers tweeted that PS5 is between RDNA 1 and 2. I'm given 24 hours to provide proof the tweet is real or be banned. Come to find out the tweet is real, but the Engineer retracts and claims he was tired when he wrote it.

Conversely one of the many youtubers with "insiders" claims his sources says the PS5 geometry engine is RDNA 3. Oh we gone let the rumor ride even though geometry engine is already mentioned in the RDNA white paper. https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/rdna-whitepaper.pdf

I digress.

PlayStation 5's Geometry Engine is a customized, proprietary version that's quite different from the identically-named technology that is included in AMD's RDNA chips by default. It is not included in any AMD chip apart from those that will be in units of the PlayStation 5. It may be included in RDNA 3 in the future if AMD and Sony agree or have agreed to include it therein.

(Link)

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

This is like the XBOX One all over again. Fanboys making stuff up: “secret souce”.

RGT or Moores Law arent console fanboys though.

No one is making a claim that it puts the PS5 at having more TF than XSX.

Just talking about Hardware.

Im taking it as the PS5 will just punch a bit above its weight

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
If the PS5 releases with a power brick, all this will be confirmed!
There is a reason why we have only seen renders of the PS5.

the_master

so what it was? fake gameplay? gameplay made in dreams?

Yes, this seems to be fake gameplay.
I can be wrong, of course but thus cuts, this weird menu flow, this hands turning at the necessary angle...
It can be that the game looks exactly like this, it can be that they are indeed real gameplay cuts and they have some turn assists which would ve very nice, I dont want the game to be very hard and demanding for me, so drive assists to make it more arcade will be welcome.

Has Poliphony claimed that this is real and given some other information?

I can be wrong, of course but thus cuts, this weird menu flow, this hands turning at the necessary angle...
It can be that the game looks exactly like this, it can be that they are indeed real gameplay cuts and they have some turn assists which would ve very nice, I dont want the game to be very hard and demanding for me, so drive assists to make it more arcade will be welcome.

Everything is cake.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
threads like these are the video gaming equivalent of "The Masked Singer"

Initially : OMG IT'S BEYONCE
reveal : Oh... it's.... who is this? ...

sinnergy

RGT or Moores Law arent console fanboys though.

No one is making a claim that it puts the PS5 at having more TF than XSX.

Just talking about Hardware.

Im taking it as the PS5 will just punch a bit above its weight
The dude plays most games on his PS4, u like me who has all brands , from Sega to Sony and Xbox, just saying .

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I've yet to see any of these independent Youtube talking heads being anything other than a bunch of bullshit chancers after a Patreon income stream, regurgitating the same so called 'sources' & 'inside information' between themselves that gets lapped up by a gullible fanboy audience.

They don't say anything that anyone couldn't deduce for themselves by some educated guess work.

Azurro

Banned
It is 100% one of the disabled Cu's. You can try and play semantics of you want, but that doesn't change the fact.
Google the term "re-purposed".
Heck I will do it for you.
"Repurposing is the use of something for a purpose other than its original intended use"

Just stop.

Wow, it's not semantics, really? How can the Tempest Engine be part of the disabled CUs for yields when it can't be disabled? And think about it for a minute, if it is one of the existing CUs, then all the CUs are the Tempest Engine, since it's part of the "disabled but not disabled" CUs.

That can't be true since it's literally a different design on the hardware level. You can try to read some dictionary and not understand the definition of something, or you can try to apply a bit of logic. I'd tell you to try to think a bit before replying.

Azurro

Banned

Halo Infinite looks like shit, therefore all other next gen games must be fake and should look like shit.

Last edited:

GHG

Halo Infinite looks like shit, therefore all other next gen games must be fake and should look like shit.

The same thing is happening in most threads now. It's the new bullshit narrative that's being pushed.

Imagine jumping from one bullshit narrative to another in a constant attempt to downplay the competition instead of demanding better from the platform you're invested in. It's madness.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone know what this is about?

I can only assume that maybe he's implying that MLID leaked information that RGT had and spoke to him about in DMs before RGT had chance to drop his video 🤷‍♂️

Maybe Matt himself had off the record conversations with both, and MLID mentioned aspects that he was told to keep secret 🤷‍♂️

Or maybe he just things MLID is a clickbait YouTuber and wanted to highlight this 🤷‍♂️

Chankoras

I can only assume that maybe he's implying that MLID leaked information that RGT had and spoke to him about in DMs before RGT had chance to drop his video 🤷‍♂️

Maybe Matt himself had off the record conversations with both, and MLID mentioned aspects that he was told to keep secret 🤷‍♂️

Or maybe he just things MLID is a clickbait YouTuber and wanted to highlight this 🤷‍♂️
I guess so, either b.S or spoiled something.

longdi

Banned
Yes it’s based on a CU, but it’s not counted as one. It has it’s own interconnect and is not clustered together with the other CU`s on the die.
Do you have information on this?
Last we heard, its just a defective cu repurpose, sharing the same bandwidth as a cu will

Xplainin

Banned
Wow, it's not semantics, really? How can the Tempest Engine be part of the disabled CUs for yields when it can't be disabled? And think about it for a minute, if it is one of the existing CUs, then all the CUs are the Tempest Engine, since it's part of the "disabled but not disabled" CUs.

That can't be true since it's literally a different design on the hardware level. You can try to read some dictionary and not understand the definition of something, or you can try to apply a bit of logic. I'd tell you to try to think a bit before replying.
Yawn.
Come back when you have looked into GPU designs.

Azurro

Banned
Last we heard, its just a defective cu repurpose, sharing the same bandwidth as a cu will

How would what you wrote make sense when the design of the Tempest Engine literally different on the hardware level?

Yawn.
Come back when you have looked into GPU designs.

If you are an engineer working on GPU silicon, I'd be afraid of new products from your employer, you are clearly a diversity hire.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I don’t know if this guy has ever been right
Not that I can remember. The guy is notoriously a laughing stock when it comes to commenting on PC hardware, often posting fanfictions about his Lord and Savior AMD.
I wasn't aware that he was getting invested in console warring as well.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What piss me off is that youtubers have zero accountability and just spreading bullshit.

longdi

Banned
Last we heard from whom? Defective CU repurposed? So now they adjust the final chip dynamically based on random defects to produce a reliable component in each die :LOL:.

Iirc that's what mark said, they stripped out most of the things in a cu, leaving what's enough for audio works. So we have to see the final die shot then. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure why Sony would want to custom made a audio processor, when the last one was from amd trueaudio

GHG

Erm it’s sauce bro

Heinz_SecretIngredientBottle10_0.jpg

To this day Heinz still have a monopoly on this market.

Azurro

Banned
Iirc that's what mark said, they stripped out most of the things in a cu, leaving what's enough for audio works. So we have to see the final die shot then. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure why Sony would want to custom made a audio processor, when the last one was from amd trueaudio

You do realise why CUs are turned off, right? They are turned off for yields, in case a few are defective on the die. All CUs are the same, they have to be for this to work. It would be literally impossible for one of those turned off CUs became the Tempest Engine, as it is different on a hardware level, just because Sony took the design of the a CU as a starting point doesn't mean it's a literal CU on the GPU.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If you are an engineer working on GPU silicon, I'd be afraid of new products from your employer, you are clearly a diversity hire.

How do you know that he's a diversity hire? How do you know that he's a minority? Why are you discriminating based on the assumption that he's a minority?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Youtubers. Even worse.

Anything for clicks.

Consoles almost always punch above their weight.

PlayStation 4 Pro was based on Polaris but had features from Vega architecture. This would be no different if PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X had features from RDNA 3.

This is different than Xbox fans on Youtube talking about some second GPU in the Xbox One.

RaySoft

If that was true, what would Sony do if they had a chip where all four CU's were defective?
Where have you heard that it just was a defective CU? The CU's can be defective in different parts as well, rendering them useless for repurposing.

Tempest isn't a carbon copy of a CU. Cerny said it was based on one, yes, but that don't mean they havent customized it further. It's a re-engeneered part as they say. i.e. NOT the same as all the other CU's.

Top Bottom