• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Review Thread

I'm just here to make sure nobody is shit talking my game (y)

OjWd.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
I agree, a lot of what they added to World was great. Unlimited picks/nets/whetstones were great. Scoutflies I'm iffy on, but I get why they were added. The fact that you didn't have to stand around to pick flowers was nice, etc. There were a lot of good improvements made that didn't change the gameplay or how the overall game worked. I just don't look at the other decisions like camps and clutch claw quite as favorably. I think camps would be fine in expedition mode, and may actually get more people doing them, but they should be cut out of hunts.
I never changed weapons mid hunt in 500 hours, and when i get killed 1-2 times because i'm playing like a shit or because i finished all my health potions, i just restart the hunt from the beginning without re-filing my potions the majority of times, that's probably why i don't have a problem with camps during hunts, i just don't use them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I never changed weapons mid hunt in 500 hours, and when i get killed 1-2 times because i'm playing like a shit or because i finished all my health potions, i just restart the hunt from the beginning without re-filing my potions the majority of times, that's probably why i don't have a problem with camps during hunts, i just don't use them.
You know what people are going to say. The problem is that they exist to begin with. :messenger_unamused:

MHR will sell a fuck load of copies. It's a big Switch release, and we know how those usually sell. Plus is being released on PC, which will help those sales no doubt.

I don't care if it sells more or less than MHW tbh, I just want it to sell well so they support the game a lot and keep releasing those awesome games.

Plus money to Capcom is money to Dragons Dogma 2. We are all winning here. :lollipop_content:

Last edited:
Yea and this is how we end up with poorly balanced encounters and HP sponge enemies that can 1 shot you, because without it there's no way you will lose.

I agree that gatekeeping is absolutely a good thing to keep a franchise "pure". Unfortunately gatekeeping makes very little money compared to making things diluted and "accessible". I just really hate that the few franchises that I actually like are getting this treatment. The success of World was both a blessing and a curse for me, personally.

A reviewer (post #8) said that the monster health pools are reduced. So they're faster and hit harder, but they aren't sponges.

To me, it seems like what they're going for is akin to Souls vs Bloodborne – the combat is more aggressive and faster-paced in BB, but not necessarily easier or less strategic. It's fine to prefer one to the other, but I wouldn't say that Bloodborne is a noob game.

Keep in mind they also brought back some advanced features from Generations iirc. So they de-dumbed it...up?

Raven117

Gold Member
Was wondering when the stupid fight between Switch and PS4 was going to come up. Looks like page 2.

Monster Hunter Rise looks to be fantastic, just like MHW before it. You know.... a series thats gets better with each iteration.

What a time to be alive that Monster Hunter went from relative obscurity in the West to something that is super hyped.

Its awesome.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow it looks quite nice by Switch standards. Pales compared to World obviously, but decent.
Anyone know if the PC version has improvements over Switch outside of resolution and framerate?.
maybe better texture filtering? prolly some form of ssao etc.
i iwll prolly try it out on a switch emulator on pc too. And i hope rise will work better on the switch pro tbh hahah

MagnesG

Banned
I mean mhw hasn't stopped selling. Don't get me wrong it will sell a lot but 16mil in one year?
We'll see that will be might impressive
I'm still not sure if it could beat it, but every MH iteration portable has always been front-loaded in their sales mostly from Japan.

V4skunk

Banned
Think I might get it next month when I get paid.
I just got Binding of isaac on Steam just to play Repetence when that comes out in a week or so. I already own it on ps.

I mean mhw hasn't stop selling. Dont get me wrong it will sell a lot but 16mil in one year?
We'll see that will be might impressive

Yeah, it is impossible. Maybe 12 million in a year optimistically. Maybe it will beat MHW in its lifetime. But no way it can sell 16 million in a year. It took MHW like 3-4 years to reach 15 million. It sold insane on PC making 5-10 million according to steam spy. https://steamspy.com/app/582010

That said if we talk revision for the Switch Pro, it is probably guaranteed to beat it sooner or later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ugh, i hate paying nintendo money to play online with their shitty internet infrastructure.

How does it work multyplayer on switch, i always heard about how ancient and shitty it is but never looked into it.

Spukc

Think I might get it next month when I get paid.
I just got Binding of isaac on Steam just to play Repetence when that comes out in a week or so. I already own it on ps.
how much did you pay ? trying to get it dirt cheap on pc...

Spukc

Ugh, i hate paying nintendo money to play online with their shitty internet infrastructure.

How does it work multyplayer on switch, i always heard about how ancient and shitty it is but never looked into it.
don't bother seriously play local

Spukc

What do you mean?! I'm not interested in talking while playing with strangers, is that the problem? Shitty voice chat?
nintendo online games are notorious for being shit.
If this works see it as a bonus.

For the love of god do not buy a switch game if your main focus is online gaming.
local should be great tho

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
nintendo online games are notorious for being shit.
If this works see it as a bonus.

For the love of god do not buy a switch game if your main focus is online gaming.
local should be great tho
I have no local friends with switch (or even friends who play videogame anymore).

I'm not buying the game for the online, i mostly gonna play solo, but i had my share of fun online with world.

This is technically a capcom game...

Spukc

I have no local friends with switch (or even friends who play videogame anymore).

I'm not buying the game for the online, i mostly gonna play solo, but i had my share of fun online with world.

This is technically a capcom game...
You should be fine then ;) I am sure the occasional online dabble will be ok for you.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You should be fine then ;) I am sure the occasional online dabble will be ok for you.
Can nintendo really afford to release a game like mh without a perfectly functional online part?! They risk of losing milions of clients...

Spukc

Can nintendo really afford to release a game like mh without a perfectly functional online part?! They risk of losing milions of clients...
mario maker 2 had sheit online (that game is basically online)
smash also

so yeah ninty does not give a shit if their first party games suck so bad online

GymWolf

Gold Member
mario maker 2 had sheit online (that game is basically online)
smash also

so yeah ninty does not give a shit if their first party games suck so bad online
Lol you are scaring me dude...

Why the hell make your clients paying for online if it's trash?!

Geez the laws of gaming doesn't apply to nintendo uh?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom