• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Review Thread

Ugh, i hate paying nintendo money to play online with their shitty internet infrastructure.

How does it work multyplayer on switch, i always heard about how ancient and shitty it is but never looked into it.
By my experience with the demo, it was nice, didn't noticed any weird things or lag like in Splatoon or Smash Bros.

I think there are 7 free days of online, you can try with those.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stupid question, does the switch has some region lock?

Like can i play the uk version of rise on my italian switch?!

Stupid question, does the switch has some region lock?

Like can i play the uk version of rise on my italian switch?!
No Switch doesn't have region lock, but some games and their DLC are region-specific.

From what I can see*, MHR is using a single SKU and it contains a whole set of languages, including Italian.
oeem9Cw.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is: BUY THE GAME NOW! Lol

Edit: *In case you're curious as to why I say that, I prepurchased the game digitally and it shows up as purchased on both American and European Region eshops; that's usually a good indicator that it's a single SKU. I didn't check the JP eshop, but Japanese text and voices are in the game anyway, unless you wanna pay Capcom in yen.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
That's G version included, people thinking this will sell +23 million? (last reported number).
And no that isnt G version included. If you include that it sold ~16 million.
Actually, I think he is right, but we have to consider that the game was released in 2013 in Japan and about two years later in the West. We didn't get the original, we only got the updated G version. That makes it a little tricky to make a fair comparison. The OG sold at least 4,5+ million in Japan, the G version sold 3+ million in Japan and at least 2+ million in the West (although I think that World made some people interested in other games in the series).

GymWolf

Gold Member
No Switch doesn't have region lock, but some games and their DLC are region-specific.

From what I can see*, MHR is using a single SKU and it contains a whole set of languages, including Italian.
oeem9Cw.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is: BUY THE GAME NOW! Lol

Edit: *In case you're curious as to why I say that, I prepurchased the game digitally and it shows up as purchased on both American and European Region eshops; that's usually a good indicator that it's a single SKU. I didn't check the JP eshop, but Japanese text and voices are in the game anyway, unless you wanna pay Capcom in yen.
Ordinato il: 24 marzo 2021​
Numero ordine Amazon.it: 406-3873443-0609904​
Totale ordine: EUR 45,78
Non ancora spedito
Articoli ordinati
Prezzo
1 di: Saugella Uomo Detergente Intimo Quotidiano Maschile Antiodore A Ph Fisiologico Per Parti Intime - 500 Ml
Venduto da: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Condizione: Nuovo
EUR 10,85​
1 di: MONSTER HUNTER RISE, STORES, KEN

EUR 34,93​

Non ancora spedito

Articoli ordinati
Prezzo
1 di: Saugella Uomo Detergente Intimo Quotidiano Maschile Antiodore A Ph Fisiologico Per Parti Intime - 500 Ml

EUR 10,85​

EUR 34,93​
TRANSLATION: KAMURA, FUCK YEAH!

Skifi28

Any idea what time you can start playing? I'll probably be at work so I need to know in order to cry now and get it out of my system.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Non ancora spedito

Articoli ordinati
Prezzo

EUR 10,85​

EUR 34,93​
are you getting the strat guide?
how the hell does that work for monhun? :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Last edited:

Meesh

I've gotta know, we typically get that big old bad ass monster we all gotta climb on, use dragonators, epic music and the like... we got that here or is this just a monster stampede?

Spukc

Its worth it! I have it all on ps as well but Repetence won't be out on it for a long time.
I think this is the second game I've ever purchased twice.
already bought it on switch ;) I KNOW but not double dip
i just want to play the new content

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah smash online's sucks donkey balls, but I didn't have any problems with GU's or Rise demo's online.
Rise (and the demo) is the first game using Nintendo’s new online infrastructure.

This may come as a complete surprise but Nintendo has been using a multiplayer server infrastructure for its games that dates back nearly two decades. The new Switch console has hence been running online services on a server system which also catered the Wii U and 3DS consoles. That is now about to change.

Nintendo has reportedly decided to finally upgrade its online infrastructure from the existing NEX to a new NPLN system. NEX was deployed more than eighteen years ago but Nintendo has technically been using it for only the past decade.

NPLN on the other hand is said to be currently in a preview phase. The recent Monster Hunter Rise demo was apparently the first game to use NPLN in a public space to perform stress and other related tests.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So you have to actually beat monsters solo.

It was one of the biggest changes in mhw, everything could be done in coop.
I get it but it sound out of place in what people call the most accessible mh title ever...

Casuals are gonna cry blood when they are gonna realize that there is no coop for beating monsters the first time...

Spukc

I get it but it sound out of place in what people call the most accessible mh title ever...

Casuals are gonna cry blood when they are gonna realize that there is no coop for beating monsters the first time...
dude that order

MONSTER HUNTER RISE, STORES, KEN

that's ken stores the STRAT guide

KEN STORES (Autor)

it's the BOOK not the game

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well I heard Village quests is going be easier this time around and in Hub quests Monster's HP scale depending on number of players.

Spukc

Fuck me you are right...well i cancelled the order.

Time to find another place where to buy this thing...
you are not the only one. Friend of mine nearly made the same mistake..

try this one cheapest in eurotrash era. (beware of import BS)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Oh yeah.

Technically you could ignore the village and just do the hub, but traditionally there's a lot of key progression locked in village quests.

It's definitely going to be an adjustment for those who are used to coop 100%.

Village quests are like tutorial quests for newcomers and hub quests is the meat of the game which can be done either solo or co-op.
Ah well, as long there's challenge to be had it'll be fine. Guess I'll be tackling on most quests solo and then use the coop to farm components.

GymWolf

Gold Member
you are not the only one. Friend of mine nearly made the same mistake..

try this one cheapest in eurotrash era. (beware of import BS)
I didn't bought anything from uk after the brexit, what import bs are you talking about?!

LucidFlux

I had no doubt this would review well. Sadly I spoiled myself by playing MHW at 4k60 and the demo feels very rough in comparison. Fingers crossed we do actually get a Switch pro that runs Rise at 60fps, although I think I'll eventually cave and get this either way lol.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah i think that i'm gonna wait some feedback from here, that incident with the strategic guide really feels like destiny telling me to not rush the purchase, the new swaxe run i'm doing in world is enough to keep me occupied for a while.

I was not really convinced to begin with.

chaseroni

I had no doubt this would review well. Sadly I spoiled myself by playing MHW at 4k60 and the demo feels very rough in comparison. Fingers crossed we do actually get a Switch pro that runs Rise at 60fps, although I think I'll eventually cave and get this either way lol.
I feel this.. MHW at 4k 60fps with the texture pack is so fkn insane looking it blows me away.
Still gonna play Rise but I hope the PC port gets some nice visual upgrades.

Astral Dog

I know its just a silly number, but i can't help but think there are certain games that could easily score a 90MC but don't get that number because reviewers don't quite know how to grade them. If that makes sense :p talking about 85+ scores.

Like these games i would give a 9 imho DOOM Eternal, DMC V,Luigis Mansion 3,FFVIIR, RE7 and now apparently Monster Hunter RISE.

Now im not saying those games are perfect or anything, each one has its flaws, but all are incredibly polished and well crafted, i would put them above others scored in the 90 range easily

edit:it makes me sad DOOM Eternal doesn't even have a 90 🥺

Last edited:

Spukc

I didn't bought anything from uk after the brexit, what import bs are you talking about?!
some of my friends are getting fucked by import tax when buying from UK in the EU
and some of them are just fine.

so it's a gamble

Last edited:
I know its just a silly number, but i can't help but think there are certain games that could easily score a 90MC but don't get that number because reviewers don't quite know how to grade them. If that makes sense :p talking about 85+ scores.

Like these games i would give a 9 imho DOOM Eternal, DMC V,Luigis Mansion 3,FFVIIR, RE7 and now apparently Monster Hunter RISE.

Now im not saying those games are perfect or anything, each one has its flaws, but all are incredibly polished and well crafted, i would put them above others scored in the 90 range easily

edit:it makes me sad DOOM Eternal doesn't even have a 90 🥺
I think those games don't appeal to the masses as much as others, like Zelda or GoW.

I also think the games you listed are really great and deserve the best score possible, but scores are silly eitherway because those only represent the opinion of some dudes.

Top Bottom