• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Review Thread

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is shopto european or american?!
tumblr_p9nkszD7AW1r399heo1_500.gif

I'm not exactly what you call "high skill" player but I managed to beat Magnamalo several times in the demo and I don't think any fights in full game will be as hard as Magnamalo fight in the demo.
Well as long as it's harder than World I'll be fine with it.

Any word in those reviews about the overall difficulty of the game?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well as long as it's harder than World I'll be fine with it.

Any word in those reviews about the overall difficulty of the game?
So far base game will have low rank and high rank quests, Rise might get expansion similar to Iceborne for higher ranks quests later on. Also the difficulty will depend how experience you with MH series.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have a couple of questions:

Does this one has some sort of narrative with cutscenes etc. Like world?

Does every monster has his cutscene intro (i love that shit)

Why they say that this feels smaller than world?! It even has more monsters...are the locations smaller?

Last edited:
Story mode is tied into on-line co-op?

...Whelp. That's a big problem for me. I enjoy single player in my games, but not single player dependent on online stuff.

Danjin44 Danjin44

Can you please tell me if I'm misreading this?

I think what it's saying is that you can do License Tests to unlock your hunter rank for the online hub. If you just progress your hub quests so that your hub quest level progresses naturally, then the license test goes away and you don't need to complete it.

It's just a way of transferring your singleplayer progress to multiplayer, not the other way around.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think what it's saying is that you can do License Tests to unlock your hunter rank for the online hub. If you just progress your hub quests so that your hub quest level progresses naturally, then the license test goes away and you don't need to complete it.

It's just a way of transferring your singleplayer progress to multiplayer, not the other way around.
I'm sorry, license test???

I'm sorry, license test???
Yep. Unlike World, in this and I think nost MH games, single player missions are separated from multiplayer missions, and so is the rank you have in each of those.

So with those license tests... you can do them to skip some multiplayer ranks if you are able to do so thanks to having a higher single player rank. It's a way to skip missions that would feel to easy I guess.

ps: or at least that's what I understood from it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yep. Unlike World, in this and I think nost MH games, single player missions are separated from multiplayer missions, and so is the rank you have in each of those.

So with those license tests... you can do them to skip some multiplayer ranks if you are able to do so thanks to having a higher single player rank. It's a way to skip missions that would feel to easy I guess.

ps: or at least that's what I understood from it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Why even doing this separation to begin with tho?!

BbMajor7th

Honestly, this looks beautiful in motion - fair play to Capcom, they've really done wonders with the hardware. Making me want to return to MHW now I have a PS5.

I'm not MH veteran, but as far as I know monsters in multiplayer missions are stronger, and it has been this way in previous games too.

I think in World they changed this by adjustong the monster strength based on the number of players that are playing the mission with you.

But as I said I'm no expert, so maybe someone else can clarify it further. :)

Captain Toad Captain Toad is clearly a troll that posted here only to shit on Nintendo
Read my post history. I'm a huge Nintendo fan. We own 6 Switch consoles along with every other Nintendo console they've made (including Virtual Boy).

I was just making the comment that Monster Hunter is one of those games, like Disgaea, that seems perfectly suited for achievement hunters and that it not having them, personally, killed my excitement for the game.

I enjoyed World, but had you stripped away trophies, I doubt I would have been motivated to play for long.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
PADDING. That's all it is pretty much. There is single player content you have to do to upgrade certain functions of your main hub so you other players that host to you can make use of those features.

As for Rise imma skip because I just see Silkbinds/Skillswap and ride the doggo as this iterations gimmicks.

There isn't all that much saying I need to play this shit like MHW did.

Only weapon type that grabs me is the HBG and the rest won't feel as engaging.

But it's more of been there done that kind of thing.

If I do end up getting Rise it'll be for PC. Better ways to chat in hunting groups and I won't have to learn a different controller setup.

Zones

It will sell better than World my salty friend.
Remember when Nintendo fanboys like this one used to say that without Nintendo Switch, Monster Hunter games on consoles would flop? In fact they were wishing on that to happen.

Now Nintendo has to moneyhat Capcom for platform exclusivity on a game that is now considered inferior to those released on consoles & PC.

Some of these guys have absolutely no shame!

I liked it because playing multiplayer wouldn't extensively spoil mons for your singleplayer game, and I liked keeping track of which monsters I'd beaten on my own vs with a squad.

In past games, there were exclusive monsters and fight types for singleplayer and multiplayer. For example, in Tri I believe, going just from dusty memories, the final monster you fight is different in singleplayer (ceadeus) vs multiplayer (alatreon), plus multiplayer had special group-only hunts (jhen mohran fight on a ship), and it had special versions of monsters like super small ones (e.g. mini uragaan aka. lil' leno) that I think were online only.

I know that World had event quests as well that were online-only, but perhaps this makes the system less confusing. Some of the reviewers seem to mention they think this organization is better.

Last edited:

Pejo

So what's the tipping point for where accessibility meets dumbed down mechanics for this series, MH-GAF? I already don't like that they've trivialized hunting preparation with camps, and how they basically give you a direct line to the monster you're "hunting". The ease of gathering didn't really bother me that much, but I also don't like that the wirebugs further reduce the penalties for guessing wrong or playing sloppy. At what point does this just become a hack 'n slash?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I liked it because playing multiplayer wouldn't extensively spoil mons for your singleplayer game, and I liked keeping track of which monsters I'd beaten on my own vs with a squad.

In past games, there were exclusive monsters and fight types for singleplayer and multiplayer. For example, in Tri I believe, going just from dusty memories, the final monster you fight is different in singleplayer (ceadeus) vs multiplayer (alatreon), plus multiplayer had special group-only hunts (jhen mohran fight on a ship), and it had special versions of monsters like super small ones (e.g. mini uragaan aka. lil' leno) that I think were online only.

I know that World had event quests as well that were online-only, but perhaps this makes the system less confusing. Some of the reviewers seem to mention they think this organization is better.
boy i'm so happy that i started playing MH with the world iteration...

GymWolf

Gold Member
So what's the tipping point for where accessibility meets dumbed down mechanics for this series, MH-GAF? I already don't like that they've trivialized hunting preparation with camps, and how they basically give you a direct line to the monster you're "hunting". The ease of gathering didn't really bother me that much, but I also don't like that the wirebugs further reduce the penalties for guessing wrong or playing sloppy. At what point does this just become a hack 'n slash?
i onestly don't think that any of these additions make the game for casuals or unskilled people or an hack n slash, maybe for expert hunters but not for your average player.

No amount of wirebug can make you beat a monster if you don't understand how the game works, the core is still pretty hard, at least with melee weapons.

I have like 500 hours in world and i'm not sure if i can even beat alatreon or fatalis with my current level of skills and a melee weapon :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

the casuals that are gonna buy rise because the reviews talks about improved accessibility are gonna return the game the day after, you can bet your ass on it.

Last edited:

Well one reviewer mentioned that he felt the monsters hit harder and reacted faster to compensate for the wirebug, so I don't think the intent of the devs was to dumb it down for players with worse skills. I think the intent is to make it more accessible to players who are put off by the slowness of the game.

I'm a little sad at the changes to the food system. I really love how esoteric and obtuse monhun can be, where you really have to dive in to understand it. It feels like a little club with insider knowledge and in-jokes. Maybe it's gatekeepy of me but I really hate what happened to the AC community when AC:NH blew up in popularity. So I like my games to put off some people. :lollipop_unamused:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's more an arena brawler IMO. Beat up thing. Chase thing. Kill thing. It plays more like a jank fighting game where you work with what you got to fight each monster. And each game has some sort of mechanic it relies on.

I might go with something besides bow. I tried it out last night and wasn't completely sold on it, after being a bow main in World. I was Charge Blade main in MH4.

Back to the drawing board ... :lollipop_astonished:

Really wish Bow had gyro control options since it's on Switch.

Last edited:

meanspartan

Any word on whether this game gets rid of the stupid fucking party restrictions in World?

I loved MHW, but trying to play through that game with a group of friends is a damn chore because it makes you watch all the cutscenes of their (comically terrible) "story" before you can group up. So we had to make sure everyone was always at the exact same stage before trying to form a party each time, or stick to just optionals. This got better later on and became less of an issue, but it made the early going a pain. Great game that shoots itself in the foot with that bullshit.

Pejo

i onestly don't think that any of these additions make the game for casuals or unskilled people or an hack n slash, maybe for expert hunters but not for your average player.

No amount of wirebug can make you beat a monster if you don't understand how the game works, the core is still pretty hard, at least with melee weapons.

I have like 500 hours in world and i'm not sure if i can even beat alatreon or fatalis with my current level of skills and a melee weapon :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

the casuals that are gonna buy rise because the reviews talks about improved accessibility are gonna return the game the day after, you can bet your ass on it.
I don't think the problem comes with difficulty. Behemoth and Leshen from World proved that difficulty doesn't necessary equal fun. I think the issue is that MH in the past has always been about making commitment to your decisions, in both preparation for the hunt and during combat. Both of them are now null and void, and it's just a game where you SOS yourself to victory. Not to mention, you can go back to camp mid-hunt, pop a Max Potion, grab 10 more mega pots from your inventory, (no in-hunt crafting necessary anymore), eat another meal, change weapons, etc. Some would say that's accessible to the maxxx, but to me it just takes any consequence out of your decisions and ability.

The weapon attacks were built with long animations to "lock" you in to your decision to use them, so it was sort of a puzzle game within an action game about positioning and startup frames and recovery frames. Hell, even drinking animations used to completely lock you out of movement, and even had that awful flex animation afterwards which led to a LOT of net 0 gain HP potion usage. Now I feel the whole game is getting a "Fortnite-ification" where it's just a game that you jump in and play a few SOS's with very little chance of losing, and log out. To me, that's not the kind of thing that brought me to the series.

Well one reviewer mentioned that he felt the monsters hit harder and reacted faster to compensate for the wirebug, so I don't think the intent of the devs was to dumb it down for players with worse skills. I think the intent is to make it more accessible to players who are put off by the slowness of the game.

I'm a little sad at the changes to the food system. I really love how esoteric and obtuse monhun can be, where you really have to dive in to understand it. It feels like a little club with insider knowledge and in-jokes. Maybe it's gatekeepy of me but I really hate what happened to the AC community when AC:NH blew up in popularity. So I like my games to put off some people. :lollipop_unamused:
Yea and this is how we end up with poorly balanced encounters and HP sponge enemies that can 1 shot you, because without it there's no way you will lose.

I agree that gatekeeping is absolutely a good thing to keep a franchise "pure". Unfortunately gatekeeping makes very little money compared to making things diluted and "accessible". I just really hate that the few franchises that I actually like are getting this treatment. The success of World was both a blessing and a curse for me, personally.

It's more an arena brawler IMO. Beat up thing. Chase thing. Kill thing. It plays more like a jank fighting game where you work with what you got to fight each monster. And each game has some sort of mechanic it relies on.
I guess my complaint is that the game is called "Monster Hunter" not "Monster Beat 'em Up". At least with paintballs and in-mission crafting, and the structure of the series in past entries has made it feel at least a little bit like a hunt. That feeling is long gone now.

Skifi28

I knew it was coming, but still disappointing to see there's no elder dragon level monsters in the base version. They packed the game so full of the early and mid level monsters while there's almost nothing towards the end. It seems the first updates are already meant to fix this, but I still think they should have balanced the content much better.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I might go with something besides bow. I tried it out last night and wasn't completely sold on it, after being a bow main in World. I was Charge Blade main in MH4.

Back to the drawing board ... :lollipop_astonished:

Really wish Bow had gyro control options since it's on Switch.
I heard that the bow on the demo was shite.

And i heard people on reeee talking about gyro aiming, maybe there is an option?!

I'm on the fence with this one . I love traditional Monster Hunter but hated MH World.
I'll probably just wait and buy on sale eventually . We'll see.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I guess my complaint is that the game is called "Monster Hunter" not "Monster Beat 'em Up". At least with paintballs and in-mission crafting, and the structure of the series in past entries has made it feel at least a little bit like a hunt. That feeling is long gone now.
It's always had an arcade feel of pick the mission and complete the objective while gathering the shit so completing the objective is more doable. Through healing items, buffs, food buffs, materials for weapons and armor which is how you get stronger since the gear is the leveling system.

But I am very much in the mindset that trying to reinvent the wheel every single game isn't a good thing. There are some quality of life changes that make me mad as a long time MH player to the point where some of the systems are dumbed down and by extension lower the skill floor.

Being able to respec at hunting camps for example. Takes all that prep work out of the equation.

Really not sure if I want to jump in on this one. I'm leaning towards no atm though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think the problem comes with difficulty. Behemoth and Leshen from World proved that difficulty doesn't necessary equal fun. I think the issue is that MH in the past has always been about making commitment to your decisions, in both preparation for the hunt and during combat. Both of them are now null and void, and it's just a game where you SOS yourself to victory. Not to mention, you can go back to camp mid-hunt, pop a Max Potion, grab 10 more mega pots from your inventory, (no in-hunt crafting necessary anymore), eat another meal, change weapons, etc. Some would say that's accessible to the maxxx, but to me it just takes any consequence out of your decisions and ability.

The weapon attacks were built with long animations to "lock" you in to your decision to use them, so it was sort of a puzzle game within an action game about positioning and startup frames and recovery frames. Hell, even drinking animations used to completely lock you out of movement, and even had that awful flex animation afterwards which led to a LOT of net 0 gain HP potion usage. Now I feel the whole game is getting a "Fortnite-ification" where it's just a game that you jump in and play a few SOS's with very little chance of losing, and log out. To me, that's not the kind of thing that brought me to the series.

Yea and this is how we end up with poorly balanced encounters and HP sponge enemies that can 1 shot you, because without it there's no way you will lose.

I agree that gatekeeping is absolutely a good thing to keep a franchise "pure". Unfortunately gatekeeping makes very little money compared to making things diluted and "accessible". I just really hate that the few franchises that I actually like are getting this treatment. The success of World was both a blessing and a curse for me, personally.

Yeah, i guess that i don't have all of these problems because i started with world and i liked all the quality of life improvements from past iterations.

limited wet stone? paintball? fuck that shit :ROFLMAO:

the game is already full of mechanics and sub-mechanics that scare away casuals and even average skilled players, i like the equilibrium they striked in world, hell i even love the fucking scout flies and looting shit and phlegm from monsters:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Monster Hunter Rise is an excellent entry into the series that enhances RPG and combat mechanics while also keeping the game accessible to newcomers. A fun, addictive and satisfying experience for the old school and uninitiated alike, MHR will likely be the best game out on Switch all year.

Pejo

Yeah, i guess that i don't have all of these problems because i started with world and i liked all the quality of life improvements from past iterations.

limited wet stone? paintball? fuck that shit :ROFLMAO:

the game is already full of mechanics and sub-mechanics that scare away casuals and even average skilled players, i like the equilibrium they striked in world, hell i even love the fucking scout flies and looting shit and phlegm from monsters:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I agree, a lot of what they added to World was great. Unlimited picks/nets/whetstones were great. Scoutflies I'm iffy on, but I get why they were added. The fact that you didn't have to stand around to pick flowers was nice, etc. There were a lot of good improvements made that didn't change the gameplay or how the overall game worked. I just don't look at the other decisions like camps and clutch claw quite as favorably. I think camps would be fine in expedition mode, and may actually get more people doing them, but they should be cut out of hunts.

Unfortunately, we still haven't heard back from Capcom in regards to a review code. It's a hit or miss sometimes with publishers despite even though they did send us a copy of Iceborne in the past.

However, one of my staff members asked to do a piece on it.

Here is his final preview impressions for those who want to hear another opinion ornare curious what others have to say.

Hope you like it and take a peek if you wish fellas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom