• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Review Thread

Jooxed

Gold Member

This encounter felt fated. Written in the stars. Ever since the Nintendo Switch was revealed in late 2016, one pervasive thought has been: “How great is Monster Hunter going to be?” While we saw the release of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate in 2018, it was just a port of the 3DS title that was previously Japan-exclusive; it hadn’t been built from the ground-up with the Nintendo Switch in mind. But Monster Hunter Rise is different; as a flagship title in the series, it’s the first one to land on Nintendo Systems in over six years, since the release of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. But unlike the aforementioned spin-off title, it comes with heaps of quality-of-life changes that were previously seen in Monster Hunter: World, and much more.

Going toe-to-toe with these intimidating beasts is the unmistakable core of the Monster Hunter experience, and Rise still feels like a distinctly Monster Hunter game, even if it's more of a fully-fledged action title than any other entry in the series. This renewed focus doesn't diminish its layered RPG mechanics, nor does it dumb down on any single aspect of the hunt. Certain changes make Rise a more approachable game for newcomers, but you also have the freedom to tailor the experience to your liking. The moment-to-moment combat is as impeccable as it's ever been and puts Rise on a pedestal as one of the feathers in the Nintendo Switch's cap.

H6Kjwaa.jpg

Monster Hunter Rise takes the accessible foundation that Capcom built in World and expands on it without breaking what makes Monster Hunter fun, including the deep combat and the feeling of progression as you defeat, skin, and wear one monster to fight the next. If World was the first step forward into a new era of Monster Hunter, Rise takes it even further.

Monster Hunter: World was a game I would recommend to friends, with some caveats. But Rise’s gameplay variety and mobility — all fueled by that little Wirebug — make it a must-try game for Monster Hunter skeptics and hardcore fans alike.

Monster Hunter Rise is a great debut for Capcom’s franchise on the Nintendo Switch, smartly providing sublime new tools to the established arsenal like the Wirebug, and acting as a welcoming point of entry for newcomers with overly welcoming tutorial segments. There’s a lot to like about the Rampage missions as a headline addition for the series, however harrowing they might become to face on your own in the latter half of the game. Monster Hunter Rise has the satisfying feeling of a smaller and more compact adventure than 2018’s sprawling World, but tying story progression to the game’s online co-op mode is a little disappointing.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The 86% recommend is a bit odd. Typically you want to see that Recommend higher than the average review score, but that it's identical (at the moment). . .interesting. Regardless it is a success for CAPCOM as I think most figured it would be (MHW basically laid the groundwork for a mass appeal Monster Hunter game so it would be hard to mess that up).

Tempted to get this on the Switch even though it is coming to PC next year.

SCB3

WTF is with IGN's review? a lot of praise for the game, runs well, plenty to do, but a lack of "Endgame" and he only played 50 Hours? 8/10! it doesn't match what the reviewer was saying, he hyped it up as a solid 9 or 10 as well

Also as a side note, 50 hours for a game is still pretty good and MH gets a lot of updates with end game stuff, hell so much that I'm not even done with World/Iceborne yet.

Still I have this pre ordered, I liked the Demo a lot and loved World

Banjo64

cumsessed

86 Open Critic, 20+ reviews in

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Monster Hunter World tricked me into buying it, it was OK the controls were super clunky even though I killed many monsters and got "halfway" through the story, there was a wall and the shit show of the controls was too annoying to bother to get better from.

I have a hard time believing that this game would have a different result, how long is the demo?

The "wire fall" where you can get right up after being hit seems ridiculously op. That basically eliminates half the occurences where you`d usually die in MH.

I'm OK with this, it's makes up for the clunky controls.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Reviews are what I expected, but rarely pay attention to them anyway. Going to be my first game I use my new pro controller with and also my first Switch game I get day one.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Monster Hunter World tricked me into buying it, it was OK the controls were super clunky even though I killed many monsters and got "halfway" through the story, there was a wall and the shit show of the controls was too annoying to bother to get better from.

I have a hard time believing that this game would have a different result, how long is the demo?

I'm OK with this, it's makes up for the clunky controls.
No it doesn't.

If you hate the controls, a free get out of prison mechanic (with cooldown) is not gonna change your idea imo.

The game has to click with you, i know this because it didn't clicked for me immediately, i could go that far saying that i didn't fully understand the game in my first 200 hours on ps4 and only clicked on pc when i double dipped (60 frame helps a lot).

I find rise slightly more clunky than world on console (many people think otherwise so it's up to you), but maybe the wirebug can help alleviating some clunkiness (it doesn't for me, mostly because i don't care for acrobatic shit).

Last edited:

SinDelta

Story mode is tied into on-line co-op?

...Whelp. That's a big problem for me. I enjoy single player in my games, but not single player dependent on online stuff.

Danjin44 Danjin44

Can you please tell me if I'm misreading this?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

...Whelp. That's a big problem for me. I enjoy single player in my games, but not single player dependent on online stuff.

Danjin44 Danjin44

Can you lease tell me if I'm misreading this?
In EZA review it sounds like you can do everything solo. Even in hub quest Monster's HP scales depending on number of players.

Codes 208

Danjin44 Danjin44

Can you please tell me if I'm misreading this?
If it is that’s news to me. I had assumed it’s just like MHW which emphasizes co-op but doesn’t force it

edit: thanks Danjin44, I kinda figured that’d be the case.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
No it doesn't.

If you hate the controls, a free get out of prison mechanic (with cooldown) is not gonna change your idea imo.

The game has to click with you, i know this because it didn't clicked for me immediately, i could go that far saying that i didn't fully understand the game in my first 200 hours on ps4 and only clicked on pc when i double dipped (60 frame helps a lot).

I find rise slightly more clunky than world on console (many people think otherwise so it's up to you), but maybe the wirebug can help alleviating some clunkiness (it doesn't for me, mostly because i don't care for acrobatic shit).
I originally played World on PS4 Pro when it first came out, I think Series X has it at 60FPS, so maybe I should give it a try and see what happens?

What is your fav weapon? I forget mine, it might be the charge sword or switch axe.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I originally played World on PS4 Pro when it first came out, I think Series X has it at 60FPS, so maybe I should give it a try and see what happens?

What is your fav weapon? I forget mine, it might be the charge sword or switch axe.
I'm a lance\gunlance\bow user, yesterday i started a new campaign with the switch axe and it's pretty neat.

It's easy to remember what your favourite weapon was, let me ask you this,did you studied black holes, string theory and advanced math before playing?! Then you are probably a charge sword user.

Yeah world is probably 60 fps on nextgen console, i don't know how rock solid they are tho, just don't expect the game becoming bayonetta at 60 fps, it is still "clunky" at the core, in this era of copy paste, this series really has a unique flavour when it comes to combat and movements, again, it has to CLICK.

Last edited:
In EZA review it sounds like you can do everything solo. Even in hub quest Monster's HP scales depending on number of players.
Guess it's something like GU's hub quests, but those also unlock story things?

Not an issue I think, doing those solo first (as it should be anyway) sounds like a nice challenge.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
all i care for is that this game is better then monhun world

Last edited:

sandbood

Banned
Great score for a great game, really unfortunate about the endgame stuff but still the game is consisted of ton of contents from the get go and will gets better as the time goes on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Guess it's something like GU's hub quests, but those also unlock story things?

Not an issue I think, doing those solo first (as it should be anyway) sounds like a nice challenge.
I'm not exactly what you call "high skill" player but I managed to beat Magnamalo several times in the demo and I don't think any fights in full game will be as hard as Magnamalo fight in the demo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom