• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Review Thread

ZiriusOne

Dang, didn't think it would review this good. Can't wait to buy this next year on PC with all the updates it will probably receive. Will be good times. MH is love.

Do you think it'd be dumb to play both sa and cb? Like too similiar or too confusing? Should I pick one of those and try a very different weapon as a 2nd for more variety?

In Tri I played sa main and gs. I think they said this game takes less resources to craft the other weapons right, so it'd be easier to try out a variety of weapons that are on par (not beginner) with where you're at. I don't want to be fighting advanced enemies with a bone weapon.

Yeah i think that i'm gonna wait some feedback from here, that incident with the strategic guide really feels like destiny telling me to not rush the purchase, the new swaxe run i'm doing in world is enough to keep me occupied for a while.

I was not really convinced to begin with.

So monday then?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do you think it'd be dumb to play both sa and cb? Like too similiar or too confusing? Should I pick one of those and try a very different weapon as a 2nd for more variety?

In Tri I played sa main and gs. I think they said this game takes less resources to craft the other weapons right, so it'd be easier to try out a variety of weapons that are on par (not beginner) with where you're at. I don't want to be fighting advanced enemies with a bone weapon.

So monday then?
monday what?

Do you think it'd be dumb to play both sa and cb? Like too similiar or too confusing?
I don't think CB is similar from what little I've tried of the SA. I can guess why you'd arrive at that idea though, what with the transforming axe/sword forms and discharging.

I'd say CB is actually closer to the lance, in that you will be doing a fair bit of thrusting (A+X), guarding and side hopping.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think CB is similar from what little I've tried of the SA. I can guess why you'd arrive at that idea though, what with the transforming axe/sword forms and discharging.

I'd say CB is actually closer to the lance, in that you will be doing a fair bit of thrusting (A+X), guarding and side hopping.
really? i never saw anyone playing CB like a lance.

Also lance is like 100x times simpler than CB.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Charge blade is nothing like the lance since your big attacks are Axe mode burst and utilizes more technical guard points so you can attack and guard at the same time.

It's more like a balance of axe and sword where the Axe is for your big burst damage.

Whereas with Switchaxe your burst damage is in Sword mode.

JTCx

Yeah, there's already leaks of what the weapons look like. None of that bone/iron weapons with scraps taped on.

glavenus_blaze_two-mhw-wiki-guide.png

The horror

GymWolf

Gold Member
Charge blade is nothing like the lance since your big attacks are Axe mode burst and utilizes more technical guard points so you can attack and guard at the same time.

It's more like a balance of axe and sword where the Axe is for your big burst damage.

With the power axe mode introducted in iceborne is not like that anymore, yesterday i fucked up both rathalos and diablos with the axe mode only.

i mean sure, raw numbers are still on the sword side if we do the math, but the axe now is not just a wait-for-the-sword-to-charge mode anymore.

Last edited:
With the power axe mode introducted in iceborne is not like that anymore, yesterday i fucked up both rathalos and diablos with the axe mode only.

i mean sure, raw numbers are still on the sword side if we make the math, but the axe now is not just a wait-for-the-sword-to-charge mode anymore.
So to be very clear, did they buff up that frantic axe swing attack? In the past I was so disappointed when I found out how little damage it did and also you couldn't dodge out of it. I really liked the SA's cancel abilities. I also loved the reach of the sword mode, 2nd only to the GS. iirc they changed the combo now so you do overheads right away in combos! Man the feeling of knocking a flying dragon outta the sky with a kick up sword attack is great.

Yes this is exactly why I'm afraid I might get confused between the two weapons and that they could be too similar. Both are technical weapons so maybe too similar in playstyle. They also involve charging up the other form, but they're reversed so that you want the sword with the SA and want the axe with the CB. Maybe it's not the best variety to play both? I really like both though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

i mean sure, raw numbers are still on the sword side if we do the math, but the axe now is not just a wait-for-the-sword-to-charge mode anymore.
Never played Iceborne so that's news to me. When I played Switchaxe I vastly preferred Axe mode to do infinite swiping with Energydrinks that gave infinite stamina for a short duration. Was fun stuff.

Side swipe swingscan be ended with a different attack. The overhead or horizontal sweep attack which you can do a sidestep dodge out of.

Using an armor set that gave up improved evasion was the go to. Evade Window I think it was called.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Never played Iceborne so that's news to me. When I played Switchaxe I vastly preferred Axe mode to do infinite swiping with Energydrinks that gave infinite stamina for a short duration. Was fun stuff.
now they added an overhead big finisher to the wild swing combo, and when you do that the axe become red and for 45 sec you can flinch monsters and break parts more easily, it's fucking great and the overhead finisher has big stopping power on charging enemies, it's almost hammer\greatsword-esque. (also great to break horns and tails)

I'm enjoing the hell out of this new iteration, playing melee without a shield is not that bad after all (but i only arrived to post diablos\rathalos mission, don't know how is gonna fare against enemies with aoe attacks)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So to be very clear, did they buff up that frantic axe swing attack? In the past I was so disappointed when I found out how little damage it did and also you couldn't dodge out of it. I really liked the SA's cancel abilities. I also loved the reach of the sword mode, 2nd only to the GS. iirc they changed the combo now so you do overheads right away in combos! Man the feeling of knocking a flying dragon outta the sky with a kick up sword attack is great.

Yes this is exactly why I'm afraid I might get confused between the two weapons and that they could be too similar. Both are technical weapons so maybe too similar in playstyle. They also involve charging up the other form, but they're reversed so that you want the sword with the SA and want the axe with the CB. Maybe it's not the best variety to play both? I really like both though.
read my previous post.

they also added 2 evading back moves and a claw grip during the elemental discharge for the sword.

just write switchaxe iceborne on yt.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Side swipe swingscan be ended with a different attack. The overhead or horizontal sweep attack which you can do a sidestep dodge out of.

Using an armor set that gave up improved evasion was the go to. Evade Window I think it was called.
for now i'm just using the defenders armour and weapon to blast through the main campaign, when i'm gonna reach iceborne campaign i'm gonna start crafting something specific for the swaxe style).

my only problem with the swaxe is how slow are the movements in sword mode, for now i only use it when i have a big opening, odogaron carted me once when i tried the sword during his attacks.

Last edited:
they also added 2 evading back moves and a claw grip during the elemental discharge for the sword.

I believe the clutch claws are only in World, but ya that sounds vastly improved. I think I heard that Rise improves on SA as well? I need to watch those weapon-by-weapon moveset breakdown vids that Danjin has linked.

really? i never saw anyone playing CB like a lance.

Also lance is like 100x times simpler than CB.
If we go into details, none of the melee weapons play the same. My point was that if I had to compare similarities, I'd actually group it closer to lance than SA.

Eevee86

They added a Heavy Axe Swing attack you can use after using Wild Swing three times.

Personally I think Capcom could take out all the axe forms for SA graphically, call it Charge Sword and the main thing you'd lose is visual confirmation of which mode you're in when looking at the weapon in your hands as well as graphical variety.

You're fixated on a few surface level similarities (transforming, charging secondary form etc.) between the SA and CB.

Like, LS also involves charging up its spirit gauge, unleashes burst damage and it's also a sword, lol.

If you are willing to entertain the angle that CB and lance are nothing alike, then let me offer you the angle that SA and CB are nothing alike because SA doesn't even let you guard.

Learn them both and play more of whichever one you find more fun. Don't get hung up on the superficial similarities.

Having said that, I wanna let you know that CB's Japanese name is Charge Axe. Confused yet? :D

Mhmmm 2077

Dang, didn't think it would review this good. Can't wait to buy this next year on PC with all the updates it will probably receive. Will be good times. MH is love.
Yeah, that wasn't the case with MHW though, PC updates were lagging behind the console updates.

Actually, I think he is right, but we have to consider that the game was released in 2013 in Japan and about two years later in the West. We didn't get the original, we only got the updated G version. That makes it a little tricky to make a fair comparison. The OG sold at least 4,5+ million in Japan, the G version sold 3+ million in Japan and at least 2+ million in the West (although I think that World made some people interested in other games in the series).

Why does it matter that we didnt get the original? The original still sold 4 million.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, that wasn't the case with MHW though, PC updates were lagging behind the console updates.

He means updates as in superior controls/graphics/options/etc. Just platform stuff, basically. When the PC version is released it'll take several months to catch up on patch content unless Capcom does something weird like include those in the vanilla release. I don't see that happening, but hey.

NanaMiku

Great reviews! I just hope later on the PC version we at least get a cross save. I have MHW on PS4 and PC but too lazy to play it on PC because I have to start from the beginning again.

Skifi28

I just hope later on the PC version we at least get a cross save. I have MHW on PS4 and PC but too lazy to play it on PC because I have to start from the beginning again.
I hope so, but it doesn't appear likely given their track record. I was so disappointed I couldn't transfer my 1200 hour save on the PC, there was no way I was starting completely fresh again. Thankfully the game on the PS5 plays great so that's a weight off my shoulders.

Top Bottom