• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beating Mizutsune has taken more tries than I would lile to admit.

Is it me? Or do the monsters do more damage in this game? Maybe it's to compensate for the extra mobility the wire bug gaves to the player?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
9DgGicA.jpg

8W9aq58.jpg

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sex, drugs and avoiding Mitsuzune's water blast by flying with the wire blug and landing on his head with an aerial strike.

Am I missing something? Nah, probably not.

Meesh

I never liked the stat and charm "system" in world... if feels.... watered down in a way to me. Im dreading the thought Rise is the same, I hope not.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've used lance and bow extensively, probably a sum of 800 hours between those two, if I add up usage from several MH gamese.

I've basically ignored gl, though. The 1 minute Rise trailer for gunlance really caught my attention. Teach me senpai. How can I unlock the potential of gunlance?
Just chose the right type of ammo for your playstyle and learn the combo that does more damage, it's not really a complicated weapon to use.

Normal lance is still my favourite weapon overall.

NanaMiku

Gotta give CAPCOM some credit. They've streamlined a lot of things. Now you don't have to buy/mine and bring along whetstones at all, but they retained the sharpening itself (which was the right choice). Pre-mission meals not only tell you what skills they'll grant, but they let you look up the effect of those skills in the menu. That wasn't a thing in previous MH games, you had to look it up in wikis.

The series should always have its simulation roots, though.
Remember in the old MH you can get debuff from meals? Good times lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok tried the demo and i was not really impressed.

On a 4k oled the graphics look noticeably worse than the screenshots, maybe in handled mode it's another thing entirely, but not in a big screen with high resolution.

Also, am i the only one noticing worse animations for the monsters and hits impact? it's like they have less frame of animations and they are generally more rough looking compared to world. (also that red effect when you hit is ugly as fuck, too much noticeable)

I knocked down the first monster in the easy hunt and he fell down in the strangest way, like it lacked a transition animation from standing to being knocked down, but maybe i was just tired (i tried the demo at night).

Is it maybe a problem of switch having less system memory for animations?

i'm gonna try the second monster to see if i notice the same thing.

like someone said before me, after playing mhw and iceborne on pc it's ROUGH to return to a MH on switch.

I think i'm gonna wait for the pc version for this one.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Ok tried the demo and i was not really impressed.

On a 4k oled the graphics look noticeably worse than the screenshots, maybe in handled mode it's another thing entirely, but not in a big screen with high resolution.

Also, i'm only one noticing worse animations for the monsters and hits impact? it's like they have less frame of animations and they are generally more rough looking compared to world. (also that red effect when you hit is ugly as fuck, too much noticeable)

I knocked down the first monster in the easy hunt and he fell down in the strangest way, like it lacked a transition animation from standing to being knocked down, but maybe i was just tired (i tried the demo at night).

Is it maybe a problem of switch having less system memory for animations?

i'm gonna try the second monster to see if i notice the same thing.

like someone said before me, after playing mhw and iceborne on pc it's ROUGH to return to a MH on switch.

I think i'm gonna wait for the pc version of this one.
To be fair everything looks ugly on 4k for anything Switch related, and this MH looks gorgeous on handheld.

GymWolf

Gold Member
To be fair everything looks ugly on 4k for anything Switch related, and this MH looks gorgeous on handheld.
I'm sure you are right, everything looks better in handled mode, except maybe xenogears 2 at launch :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

but i hate playing with portable console, for me it's only big screen or nothing.

Astral chain was kinda ok looking at 4k, same for xenogears 2.

Last edited:

Dampf

The environment looks so low poly... the Switch can do much better than that. Especially in the snow region it looks like they reused Wii assets :/

Inviusx

No way, all the first party Nintendo stuff looks dope, especially MK8 and Luigi's Mansion. MHR looks like World if it were running at low settings on a potato rig.

MagnesG

Banned
No way, all the first party Nintendo stuff looks dope, especially MK8 and Luigi's Mansion. MHR looks like World if it were running at low settings on a potato rig.
I would say MK8 and Luigi's Mansion looks decent at best on 4k, but others are not. BOTW, Mario Odyssey and most of the notable titles are blurry + no aliasing, they are kinda ugly.

It's like watching sub 1080p movies on a 4k tv, too noticeable for the eyes.

TintoConCasera

On multiplayer against Mizutsune it seems to fall to the 26~ frames per second, which isn't too bad? The rest of the time it seems pretty smooth tho. Frame time could be better but hey, there's still two months left for improvements.

Are you people gonna play on switch? or wait for the PC version? I'm indecisive.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

On multiplayer against Mizutsune it seems to fall to the 26~ frames per second, which isn't too bad? The rest of the time it seems pretty smooth tho. Frame time could be better but hey, there's still two months left for improvements.

Are you people gonna play on switch? or wait for the PC version? I'm indecisive.

Switch, might pick it up again later for PC.

JimboJones

If they made it cross save and play i'd be tempted to get both versions.

TintoConCasera

If they made it cross save and play i'd be tempted to get both versions.
Yeah some for me. Wouldn't mind picking it up later on PC if it comes with cross save and G rank stuff.

In fact I would like to wait for the PC version and just skip it on the Switch. Thing is, I'm having so much fun with just the demo that I don't know if I'll be able to wait until the PC releases.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I honestly am not seeing this becoming my fav MH game. Capcom keeps promoting the flashy shit in the air, yet the hitbox is all kinds of whack. (10 pictures in the embed video, click the arrow to the right).

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Gameplay is fine. The only thing that's bothering me is the graphics have a "screen door" effect. I rather have MHR look like how Rathalos and Ancestral Steppe does in Smash.

TintoConCasera

How is this, i only played World, how are the mechanics, any different?
It's pretty similar to World, much more than to the old titles.

There are a few new mechanics, like having a dog you can mount and the wire bug, which is like a grappling hook you can use wherever you want. Monster mounting has also been expanded from World.

You should try it if you liked World, specially if you don't care that much about graphics.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mained long sword in 4U
I mained lance in World
I think it's finally time I man up and main sword and shield

I started w/ Sword & Shield and switched to Longsword and preferred it greatly. I will probably try a few others this game to see what else I like. Not sure what's a good natural flow from longsword though.

MagnesG

Banned
Gonna seriously use bows for the first time, always been the highlight for every new MH for me trying on a new weapon.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sooo much better than world.
Good demo, good updates to the series, way better than world for sure.

did I mention how world was horribly boring and mundane and this is much much muuuch better than world??!

KàIRóS

Finally preordered it, I'm gonna have a hard time playing it due to work but meh it's monster hunter not some story driven game, I think it'll be good.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I started w/ Sword & Shield and switched to Longsword and preferred it greatly. I will probably try a few others this game to see what else I like. Not sure what's a good natural flow from longsword though.

I can tell you the lance is not a "natural flow" from longsword at all, but it's hella fun.

It's surprisingly mobile, but you have to think of mobility as... can i get there with a combination of dodges? a shield advance? a shield charge? a combination of them? and since each of them have different rules it's a bit of a jiggsaw to put it together.

TintoConCasera

Finally managed to beat the three monsters within the time limit (only 5 minutes left :goog_relieved: )

Btw, is it me or does the game run better in handheld? The framepacing seems way better there.

Ceadeus

I wish there would be more collector's Edition available. Unlike the scalpers, I wouldn't buy collector's for selling purpose but simply because i'm a fan of the serie since the first game. I'm definitely not gonna encourage scalper by buying a copie for 300$ I trully despice scalpers.

TintoConCasera

How is the netcode? Is the multiplayer experience smooth?

EDIT: nevermind, looks like Nintendo is offering 7 days of free online play so I'll try it out myself.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I just tried this demo, lasted about 5 minutes before I had to close it.

What a confusing mess, what’s up with the controls? And the the cluttered UI? And the little sub-menus popping up everywhere?

Wow, nope...
Don't push it if you can't get it technical.

Top Bottom