• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

I just tried this demo, lasted about 5 minutes before I had to close it.

What a confusing mess, what’s up with the controls? And the the cluttered UI? And the little sub-menus popping up everywhere?

Wow, nope...
This series has whats probably one of the most steep learning curves in gaming. It pays off tho, so if you are interested you might wanna watch some youtube explaining the basic gist of the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This series has whats probably one of the most steep learning curves in gaming. It pays off tho, so if you are interested you might wanna watch some youtube explaining the basic gist of the game.
I agree, people say Souls series hard to get in to but I would argue MH series has much bigger learning curve compare to Soul series but I like the weapon system in MH so much more.

Choosing weapon in MH is like choosing characters in fighting games, it needs some dedication to master it.

Last edited:
What weapon are you guys maining? After playing the demo 30 times with the Charge Blade I've started trying out the Gun Lance and boy, it's fun! It packs a good punch, and it seems that bullets (or explosions) are very good at knoking down monsters. Also that thing that sticks to monsters and deals damage until it explodes is very cool too.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I agree, people say Souls series hard to get in to but I would argue MH series has much bigger learning curve compare to Soul series but I like the weapon system in MH so much more.

Choosing weapon in MH is like choosing characters in fighting games, it needs some dedication to master it.
not if you pick dual blades lol..

Ceadeus

I just tried this demo, lasted about 5 minutes before I had to close it.

What a confusing mess, what’s up with the controls? And the the cluttered UI? And the little sub-menus popping up everywhere?

Wow, nope...
You get used to it after a while. There's a sense of satisfaction once you mastered the controls,menus and customized everything to your liking. Because you can personalize almost everything and it feels like your ''own'' world and it's very fun to share and co-op with other players. You can also share you Hunter card to others so they can bring your avatar when offline and add you to friend list.

It's the best game content wise money can buy, I guarantee. It just needs the player time to adapt , it's really worth it because everything you do in monster Hunter does not waste your time. Every item and side activities is a step toward the next challenge. And in MH, the game rewards the player a ton.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
also for people that want to play MonHUN..
do not play the demo. it's such a bad introduction to MH.
you really need to start fresh and build all your gear. That is MH.

getting some prefab kit always felt kinda lame
your armor is your story!

Main CB for two whole games, World and GU. Start using GL and after three tries I'm already geting better times on Mitsuzune. What the fuck. :lollipop_content:

also for people that want to play MonHUN..
do not play the demo. it's such a bad introduction to MH.
you really need to start fresh and build all your gear. That is MH.

getting some prefab kit always felt kinda lame
your armor is your story!
I kinda agree that a big part of the charm is taking your time, exploring the map and gathering resources to get better gear. And while that isn't part of the demo, I would still advise to try it because the combat, and specially with how "clunky" it can feel, can filter a lot of players.

e&e

Banned
Remember in the old MH you can get debuff from meals? Good times lol
Really lol?

Anyways, always dabbled in MH on older Nintendo systems and never clicked. Played a bit of demo and liked it more than previous but need more time with mechanics.

Never played World even though it’s sitting there on my Series S, should I give it a go before March 26? What’s the difference in feel?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Went with my trusty Hammer and took out the easy bird raptor thing extremely fast, even for the easy monster. Mizu/the harder one was a lot more difficult and carted me once, but manage to beat it my first try.

Controls took a bit to get adjusted (especially using the smaller Joycon buttons). LOVING the mobility with the Hammer and Silkbug now. Sound was a bit bad though might be a bug or super compressed. Haven't had the chance to try other weapons yet, but I'll give SnS and Lance (my other 2 favorites from World) a go.

NinjaBoiX

Gold Member
You get used to it after a while. There's a sense of satisfaction once you mastered the controls,menus and customized everything to your liking. Because you can personalize almost everything and it feels like your ''own'' world and it's very fun to share and co-op with other players. You can also share you Hunter card to others so they can bring your avatar when offline and add you to friend list.

It's the best game content wise money can buy, I guarantee. It just needs the player time to adapt , it's really worth it because everything you do in monster Hunter does not waste your time. Every item and side activities is a step toward the next challenge. And in MH, the game rewards the player a ton.
Cheers for the reply but yeah, it’s just not a game for me. I’ve tried a few different games in the series and they all seem clunky and kind of confusing. It’s like you’re trying to fight some random NPC rather than an actual enemy, the engagement between the player and foe feels really detached for some reason.

I dunno, the combat just feels lame to me, even if I could be bothered to work out everything else.

Banjo64

cumsessed
£42.85 at Shopto for any UK peeps on here. Comes with the steelbook and key rings;

277_campaign-image.jpg

F31 Leopard

V2TUMqL.jpg

I noticed there's a voice setting in the audio options. Hopefully you don't need the stupid Nintendo App and you can chat normally like you could on MH3U on Wii U. I know Rogue Company and Fortnite have native chat without the App.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

V2TUMqL.jpg

I noticed there's a voice setting in the audio options. Hopefully you don't need the stupid Nintendo App and you can chat normally like you could on MH3U on Wii U. I know Rogue Company and Fortnite have native chat without the App.

I think it's the setting for the hunter voice when playing multiplayer

Danjin44

I think it's the setting for the hunter voice when playing multiplayer
This game has Japanese setting so I'm going with Japanese voices and also like to keep my Hunter's voice even offline because it warns me when the monster about to do their strong attacks.

Filth

has anyone played this on there tv and experienced weird frame rate issues. I just got a new lg cx 65 inch and the games frame rate is all over the p[lace. on handheld the game is prefect. I have game mode on and everything else turned off on the tv so i dont know what it could be.

TheKratos

has anyone played this on there tv and experienced weird frame rate issues. I just got a new lg cx 65 inch and the games frame rate is all over the p[lace. on handheld the game is prefect. I have game mode on and everything else turned off on the tv so i dont know what it could be.

I feel like every 30fps game feels absolutely broken on my CX. I don't understand why.

Danjin44

I'm also mostly playing on TV but my experience was buttery smooth, if it didn't then using longsword would have been super frustrating.

Seems just like what they'll do Sony and Microsoft with some of their kind of strategy
Haha yeah, what can we do? Gaming is a business after all and companies have to make their systems more valuable than those of the competition in any way they can.

At least a lot of third-party Nintendo exclusives end up coming to PC, like Daemon X Machina or Octopath Traveler, so there is still the option for those with a decent to good PC.

Just like how we also don't know why MHW is exclusive to PS4 only in Japan on launch, there's nothing that indicates Nintendo paid this and that for Rise
Yeah there is no way to know. Btw I have nothing against paid exclusives nor I said that against Nintendo or anything.

As I said gaming is business, so let the companies do their thing.

Top Bottom