• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

MagnesG

Banned
Well my demo won't download, I guess Nintendo's servers are being overtaxed. Not sure i even care though after watching a couple of streams of it in action, visually it looks good (better art style than MH world) but the framerate actually makes me want to vomit. I'll hold out and see if a PC version gets announced.
Stop playing 30fps games altogether, so much for that vomit.

anab0lic36

What!? I’m playing the demo and I’m not experiencing any frame rate issue. Are you telling me playing games on 30FPS makes you “vomit”?
Yeah, me and 30fps rarely get along, though some games manage to hide it better than others. The best way I can describe it is like taking one of those hand drawn flick books and gluing some of the pages together so that you only see page 1,4,9,12 as the animation plays out in real time... its like - 'give me my pages(frames) back!' The lack of fluid smooth animation makes it hard to read your enemy's attacks properly and also time your own, which in a game that is a lot about that, leads to a janky sub par experience.

This was watching a couple of twitch screens blown up full screen on my pc monitor though, it might be more tolerable in handheld mode. Speaking of which, my switch just bleeped at me, so It looks like it finally downloaded and ill give it a try. Really though, I think this is for me gonna be a case of be patient and hope for a definitive version at a later date. Its a shame because I actually have a preference for playing MH games on handheld where possible.

anab0lic36

Alright, so I've just spent some time with it on the switch lite and have to say it runs MUCH better than what I was seeing on the streams I watched... Is it still @ 30fps when multiple hunters are on screen? Pleasantly surprised by how smooth and responsive it feels. Looks absolutely beautiful when the image is scaled down and sharper on a smaller handheld screen to. If you are someone that's usually quite sensitive to lower framerates like I am, give this one an honest try with the free demo before you dismiss it.

This might be the first game I buy at launch for a long time, I'm that impressed by it. Great start to the new year for Nintendo, I can already see this one showing up on a lot of GOTY lists.

Last edited:
Just spent a couple hours with the demo. Very impressive. Looks to be running at 720 in handheld mode with a stable framerate. Visuals overall are very impressive for a switch game.

The game plays incredibly well too. The wirebug mechanic is fun and riding monsters is a nice addition as well. I can see this being an early goty candidate if there's enough quality content.

Do we know how many maps and monsters are in the final game?

Last edited:
Very fun demo! Impressed with how well it looks and runs on handheld mode. Wish more devs would learn a thing or two from Capcom in that regard.

If any of you have the chance to try online, please let us know how is the performance with more hunters on screen. I already noticed a few dips (nothing too noticeable tho) when fighting Mizutsune in solo, so I'm curious about what happens with multiple hunters

And well, regarding the gameplay... I like it! The grappling hook is great, but I'm still not in love with that wyvern riding mechanic. Seems to be something secondary tho, so no problem. Oh, and the music is great too, the new chorus fits the themes like a glove.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ewww , love traditional MH but World was a huge huge disappointment last gen . Loved Generations on Switch , so we will see. I'll try the demo this weekend .

Yeah, give the demo a shot. I only played the one monster but plan to get in some time this weekend as well. My history with the franchise is only Generations & World. I gave 2 a shot on PSP back in the day but it didn't click for me back then.

Yeah, give the demo a shot. I only played the one monster but plan to get in some time this weekend as well. My history with the franchise is only Generations & World. I gave 2 a shot on PSP back in the day but it didn't click for me back then.
I started on MH 2 freedom unite on psp (so good) , then tried on wii and then the Wii U/ 3ds version . Tried World about 10 hrs and noped the hell out. Then got back into it on Switch and loved it. The things I love about MH psp , wiiu/3ds and Switch is the ability to ad hoc system link so easily. It just makes it so much better to me. The wii version and World multiplayer was so much more obtuse and less reliable/frustrating for me.
Looking forward to the demo. Thanks

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if Capcom will line up this with RE Village. March and then April, maybe? March isn’t very far away. I like the wire bug mechanic from all the gameplay footage. There’s a Deluxe Edition $69.99 USD, but it only looks like you’ll get cosmetic stuff. 😐

The wire bug is the possible thing they could have added, really. Makes exploration a lot more fun and, once you get how it works during combat, it can be used for some sick moves.

ps: have they buffed the charged blade? I don't remember being able to charge the sword too.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Downloaded this but wasn't expecting the load of tutorials and text boxes, systems.
Meh.

Fox Tv GIF by BH90210

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Downloaded this but wasn't expecting the load of tutorials and text boxes, systems.
Meh.

Fox Tv GIF by BH90210
The alternative is a bunch of normies screeching about how the game is impossible to control and they donn't understand because the game doesn't explain it. That has been an ongoing complaint since the PSP days (when I first jumped in).

Then they just spam Je suis monte and cart three times.

Lanrutcon

The alternative is a bunch of normies screeching about how the game is impossible to control and they donn't understand because the game doesn't explain it. That has been an ongoing complaint since the PSP days (when I first jumped in).

Then they just spam Je suis monte and cart three times.

A tutorial isn't going to suddenly make Monster Hunter accessible to the uninitiated.

"I have to sharpen my weapon? what is this shit!"

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A tutorial isn't going to suddenly make Monster Hunter accessible to the uninitiated.

"I have to sharpen my weapon? what is this shit!"
Gotta give CAPCOM some credit. They've streamlined a lot of things. Now you don't have to buy/mine and bring along whetstones at all, but they retained the sharpening itself (which was the right choice). Pre-mission meals not only tell you what skills they'll grant, but they let you look up the effect of those skills in the menu. That wasn't a thing in previous MH games, you had to look it up in wikis.

The series should always have its simulation roots, though.

Belmonte

Saw some videos since I unfortunately don't have a Switch.

Damn, it seems so great! Monster riding, Ratatouille style, have a great potential IMO. I hope there is a way to customize our equipment to extend the time you can use them.

The village is so beautiful also! Makes me want an Onimusha though. I'm pretty sure the Village elder came from the Onimusha universe.

I'm glad I still have a lot to do in World, because if not, would be frustrating not having a Switch.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah first time so a bit overwhelmed.
Feel like they could introduce a bit smoother, more organically than paragraphs of text for every new step.

I'll try some more.

season 4 starz GIF by Outlander
For most players, it'll click when you wrap your head around the combat and how to position yourself against the monster. Going ham on a monster without taking a scratch is a thrill. The hitboxes, the attack animations, the variety of weapons, the pace of a monster's attacks, the pre-attack tells that each monster gives... I love how all the pieces of the combat system come together. Try to enjoy learning the monsters and the weapons instead of trying to grind for gear and race to the finish.

And at least know that you are just one more in a very long line of MH fanatics who started out feeling overwhelmed with the game. I raise my hand and put myself in that category, too. IMO the combat mechanics and the enemy AI are both so good that it's worth grinding through and learning the nuances.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Also make sure to try different weapons, as each one has their own gameplay style. I though MH was slow and clunky shit until I tried the charge blade, and that's when it all clicked for me.
Great advice. Even if you quickly land on a weapon you love, try out different classes! Trying out different weapons is borderline like starting a new game+ on the same character. I love it.

Also make sure to try different weapons, as each one has their own gameplay style. I though MH was slow and clunky shit until I tried the charge blade, and that's when it all clicked for me.
Very important indeed. My first MH was tri on the Wii and I started with shield/sword combo and thought it was fine but it didn't click, but I started have a blast with the bow gun, modding the different parts and whatnot.

I would also recommend the insect glaive, it's super fun vaulting around and dropping the hammer, that was my main weapon of choice in MH4

GymWolf

Gold Member
Guys, is the demo still available for download right now in europe?? (i have to recharge and upgrade the switch before trying the demo so if it's not available i'm not gonna waste time).

Guys, is the demo still available for download right now in europe?? (i have to recharge and upgrade the switch before trying the demo so if it's not available i'm not gonna waste time).
Yeah! It'll be forever I think. Limitations being you can play 30 times, and the online shutting down of February.

Very important indeed. My first MH was tri on the Wii and I started with shield/sword combo and thought it was fine but it didn't click, but I started have a blast with the bow gun, modding the different parts and whatnot.

I would also recommend the insect glaive, it's super fun vaulting around and dropping the hammer, that was my main weapon of choice in MH4
Man, I really should try more weapons... since I started with the charge blade I've been rocking that and only that, and it's have been two full games since. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What are the chances for a G-Rank re-release? Will it be a different product or will it come in DLC form? :unsure:
I'm guessing a DLC like they did with Iceborne but I don't think CAPCOM has confirmed one way or the other.

Overall, I'm wondering how many subspecies and variants there will be, or if CAPCOM will again lean heavily on tempered / frenzy / etc modifiers to mix up the battles. Seems like there will be two or more monsters on a map, encouraging players to clash them and ride them.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah! It'll be forever I think. Limitations being you can play 30 times, and the online shutting down of February.

Man, I really should try more weapons... since I started with the charge blade I've been rocking that and only that, and it's have been two full games since. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I used lance, gunlance and bow.

All weapons are a lot of fun.

In the next mh i'm gonna force myself to try the bowguns and at least another melee weapon.

But lance and gunlance have that "i'm in your face and constantly fucking you and you can't do nothing about it" charme that other weapons without a shield don't have.

Yeah super skilled players can do the same with the other weapons too, but it's hard as hell especially with monsters that constantly move and attack like that fucking thunder ape or the nerdgigante :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wish they had a gather quest so I can just run around and try and use the wirebug more.
You can use the beginners wirebug tutorial. You can mess around with wirebug in that area instead of following that guy around.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I used lance, gunlance and bow.
I've used lance and bow extensively, probably a sum of 800 hours between those two, if I add up usage from several MH gamese.

I've basically ignored gl, though. The 1 minute Rise trailer for gunlance really caught my attention. Teach me senpai. How can I unlock the potential of gunlance?

I haven’t played World in a few months but I love MH. I played a ton of Tri and 3 ultimate, I’m happy to get back to a Nintendo system title but I hope it takes some lessons from World.

chaseroni

I haven’t played World in a few months but I love MH. I played a ton of Tri and 3 ultimate, I’m happy to get back to a Nintendo system title but I hope it takes some lessons from World.
It totally has, for me coming from generations and world, it feels like a nice blend of QOL from world with level design closer to older MH games. Loving it so far

Skifi28

I dislike the new riding mechanic, I'd rather have regular mounting back. Other than that, it's the world/iceborne design with additions and improvements, can't go wrong with that.

Alexios

Banned
I dislike the new riding mechanic, I'd rather have regular mounting back. Other than that, it's the world/iceborne design with additions and improvements, can't go wrong with that.
Seems like you at least have the option to just ride it and bump it in a wall a couple times or however much you can with your bug charges to both benefit and get it over with, is that really such a big deal?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Seems like you at least have the option to just ride it and bump it in a wall a couple times or however much you can with your bug charges to both benefit and get it over with, is that really such a big deal?

I don't think it's a huge deal, but it's something to note.

Last edited:
Top Bottom