• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

Bodomism

Banned
This kinda just looks like they updated some character models to put on top of some 3DS game they never finished making.

It could be pretty sweet, don't get me wrong, but it just does not look like a native Switch game at all. I expected more from it visually.
Open your eyes
Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_009.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_006.jpg

g_wroggi_001.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_018.jpg

Eo6_VepWEAAgdMm.jpg

Monster Hunter Rise is the best looking Nintendo Switch game.

Grinchy

Banned
Open your eyes
Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_009.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_006.jpg

g_wroggi_001.jpg

Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_12-10-20_018.jpg

Eo6_VepWEAAgdMm.jpg

Monster Hunter Rise is the best looking Nintendo Switch game.
I specifically mentioned the models being updated...

The levels in the gameplay videos look really low poly as if they were first designed for a 3DS. It's just an observation. It doesn't look like development started on the Switch to me.

Bodomism

Banned
I specifically mentioned the models being updated...

The levels in the gameplay videos look really low poly as if they were first designed for a 3DS. It's just an observation. It doesn't look like development started on the Switch to me.
Both character and monster models are being rendered in a new RE engine with a new assets and animations.

Just show me which game in Nintendo Switch has the same or above MHR technical level in term of graphics.

In fact MHR graphically not really different than MHW at all only colours and a few graphical details like armors and weapons design.

Pejo

It looks good for a Switch game. Kinda bummed to see all these new gimmick moves and anti-commit mechanics. I thought World was veering off into that territory a bit, and this is just further embracing it. It's starting to look more like a cuuuhhhrraaaazy DMC action game than a MH game. It's all good and fine if that's the case in LR/HR, but when the eventual G rank comes around it's going to be more spammy shit from monsters with basically huge "don't attack me now" phases to "balance" the new player agility. I had very little fun in Iceborne compared to base MH:W for this reason, and I hated Clutch Claw after I saw why they added it. It changes the game from "learn the moves and learn to predict" to "lol just bash him and attack while he's down GG EZ", also see tenderize mechanic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Light/Heavy bowguns on display

Based on the lance and hbg footage, the silk rope is gonna make a lot of slower weapons more mobile. If the video above didn't make it clear, I'm excited to see how Hunting Horn performs.

Pejo

Here's a re-host of all of the weapon trailers en francais, since it looks like a few were mistakenly released early and taken down:

I'm really really disappointed in IG. They just essentially get 2 more air jumps. Considering air attacks were already lower damage than just standing and doing the standard ground combo, they better have bumped up the MVs a bit if they want people to play this way.

SnS looks HOT though with the new rush finishers. My other usual "main", Switch Axe, got a lot of the bombastic attacks like longsword. We'll see how it feels to play, but I still think it's too jumpy and fast paced for MH. Also, I hope to hell we can turn off these audio clips from our characters. I don't want to listen to "GET READY FOR THIS!" 10000 times, and it was really not necessary for them to add.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Here's a re-host of all of the weapon trailers en francais, since it looks like a few were mistakenly released early and taken down:

I'm really really disappointed in IG. They just essentially get 2 more air jumps. Considering air attacks were already lower damage than just standing and doing the standard ground combo, they better have bumped up the MVs a bit if they want people to play this way.

SnS looks HOT though with the new rush finishers. My other usual "main", Switch Axe, got a lot of the bombastic attacks like longsword. We'll see how it feels to play, but I still think it's too jumpy and fast paced for MH. Also, I hope to hell we can turn off these audio clips from our characters. I don't want to listen to "GET READY FOR THIS!" 10000 times, and it was really not necessary for them to add.

I hope they include a Monster Hunter gibberish voice option like they did in World.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
SnS, Gunlance, Insect Glaive, and Hammer trailers.

I'm not bothering w the hammer video since that's a freebie weapon. Played it since MHF2 so I know it by heart. Gunlance has always looked cool to me but when I compare it to the lance I hate the lack of mobility options. Lance, despite its size, is one of the fastest most ninja weapons in the franchise. Gunlance has always been slow. The silkstring mobility options may make me try out Gunlance for real for the first time. That sharpness-restoring move also addresses one of the most obnoxious aspects of the GL so that's cool.

Skifi28

Some of the weapon changes have been from meh to nope, but the Gunlance seems pretty fucking cool. It really needed some quality of life love.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I think it's really unfortunate in a way that the pc version of this was leaked or that we know a pc version is coming. This might have been the first switch game in a while that I would have gotten for the system.

Now I'm quite keen to wait.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems like every (or at least, almost every) weapon class now has one or more guard point / counter point / invul dodge / etc, which is nice.

Only reason why I played charge blade in MH4U was to abuse the broken guardpoint technique. I loved how Generations / GU gave the player several similar styles (Adept, Valor) so that weapons could be played more-or-less like a charge blade.

Skifi28

Not a big fan of the HH redesign. I realise that as one of the least used weapons they had to do something, but it feels wrong. I always liked that it was slow but each hit felt deliberate and satisfying. Now it looks like you're using the dual blades...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not a big fan of the HH redesign. I realise that as one of the least used weapons they had to do something, but it feels wrong. I always liked that it was slow but each hit felt deliberate and satisfying. Now it looks like you're using the dual blades...
It looks like he's stringing together a bunch of specials / finishers. I don't see the flash of the notes being played, so I'm guessing they deliberately omitted the more "boring" aspects of the HH.

Quick Edit: what I mean is, they omitted the more "boring" aspects of the HH from the trailer.

If they really got rid of the notes and the song-lists, the revamp better be really solid.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Monster Hunter Asia on Facebook released a new video on HH, it looks like the attack still similar to the old HH:

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It tells me the download may not start right away depending on server status or something. And it hasn't started, so I guess too many people are trying to get it.

edit - It downloaded, yay!

Last edited:

Porcile

It took me a few attempts to get the download going. Turning off the Switch didn't seem to work, but letting it sit on the home screen seemed to work.

anab0lic36

Well my demo won't download, I guess Nintendo's servers are being overtaxed. Not sure i even care though after watching a couple of streams of it in action, visually it looks good (better art style than MH world) but the framerate actually makes me want to vomit. I'll hold out and see if a PC version gets announced.

SinDelta

Played a beginner hunt on the demo. So far just the longsword.

I like it. I like it very much.

Both this and monster hunter story 2 have my attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom