• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moms are Tough - Rami Ismail's mom beats her first game: Final Fantasy XV [SPOILERS!]

did he ever say why he chose xv specifically?

If I remember correctly, it's because on easy mode the game was friendly to first time players and because he loves the game himself.

He seemed slightly irritated when some tweeted him asking him to have her play another game. Glad he didn't and glad she loved it so much.

Now tell her to play a good game.

FYI, they both love the game.

jennetics

That's really impressive! I can't imagine how much patience you have to have when playing a game as big as FFXV. My gf doesn't even have the patience to play through a simple race in GT lol

Hot take! Thanks for crapping on a nice story.

This frusterates me because the only thing that keeps me from progressing and the thing that keeps my wife from playing are the jumps. So I do notice that the game continually tries helping us in all the areas we don't need help in.

More on topic, it would be neat to see my mom beat a game again. Thankfully she had found ways to fill her time but for a good while she'd just watch tv at home all day and I was always tempted to buy her a console. This story is very sweet :)

Well, the ? boxes turning into checkpoints are a means of helping with the jumps.

Gin-Shiio

Flash forward one year

"Mom just beat Gwyn. Said she didn't even break a sweat. Now she's in new game+ and off invading unsuspecting lowbies in Undead Burg."

This was me with FF7. I'm glad FF15 is conveying this to new audiences.

I'd never really thought about it before but you're bang on lol. If anything thinking back to it FF7 is a little more unusual in the sense of when you get what's going on in XV, it kinda makes sense Noctis' has a level of responsibility to be involved. In FF7 Cloud could have (and probably would have) said fuck it, it's someone else's problem.

Ploid 3.0

I have no idea who these people are, but I read some bits, skipped forward, and wondered how people were following this. Interesting reactions to certain points. I never played the game myself, but I watched a let's play and skipped through to big events and the ending.

ratsuki

What a good Mom. Tho I can't agree with her preference there (Gladio? Come on Mom Ignis is love Ignis is life), glad to hear she had a nice journey with her first game. Now if only my own Mom can stop rolling her eyes at my games..

I wish I could get my mom to play more than Just Dance or the occasional Wii minigame collection. They're fun every now and then but lack a lot of the oomph I think she'd get from playing a longer game with a narrative, goals, etc. She just insists it's too complex to press buttons without even trying, and I play jrpgs so it's usually nothing too hard. I want to have that kind of bonding. :( Note to future self, if you have kids try out the things they like even if it seems weird or difficult.

Lol, she took Noctis's prince status seriously and refused to do grunt work.

I was kind of ready to be all "poor mom, why Final Fantasy XV of all games," but it seems like she genuinely enjoyed it and it was fun seeing her use common sense to completely trip over dumb game things we've all internalized (repeat lines mean "move on," map markers often won't tell you where the entrance to an underground cave thing is, etc.) and getting deep into the story and whatnot. I'm actually a little bit sad that she understands some of that stuff now, because part of me is like "NO MOM YOU ARE RIGHT THEY DID SAY THEY NEEDED TO GET TO LESTALLUM REAL QUICK, WHY ARE WE DICKING AROUND ON CHOCOBOS."

Would love to hear about what game she decides to play next!

P.S. Even though I hated hated HATED that section and Gladio by association, I think it's sweet that Rami's mom thinks Gladio is right to chastise Noctis for running off without Ignis.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mom is totally right about Prince Noctis doing random fetch quests for these peasants being ridiculous. The fact that they would even ask him should be off with their heads.

Falk

that puzzling face
I dunno if he would appreciate that...

No, the point here is that this:

is a rather fruitless remark. If poster actually wanted Rami's mom to play 'a good game', contacting Rami with that sentiment would at least have some discernible effect towards that goal moreso than posting on GAF about it.

In other words, poster doesn't really care what Rami's mom does and just wants to make sure the opinion that 'FFXV is a bad game lol' is heard at every possible opportunity.

arcticice

It was my first Final Fantasy game ever and i went through almost the similar stages as her. However, i did enjoy the combat a way too much and killed each and every animal that was in the game. :D

Philippo

I know this game had some impact on me when i slightly teared up imagining her expressions during the finale.

Really endearing btw, glad she liked it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This was so endearing, genuine wholesome entertainment from beginning to end.

I tried to get my dad to play World of Warcraft once; he stopped once he realized he had to kill wolves that hadn't attacked him first. He was a Dwarf Warrior for a good three minutes of his life, I guess.

So cute and fun read ! Thanks for the thread. Also, how old is the mom ?
My mom is 67 yo and last time I played a videogame with her, it was "The Last Guardian" and right from the beginning she wanted to kill Trico because he was too scary. She left because I said we couldn't ;-)

Jo-El

Very cool to see this! My mom doesn't play games but I convinced her to give Mother 3 a shot and she loved it. Ended up playing Earthbound after and loved it too.

Ploid 3.0

As a kid my mom would play games with us. We even had to race her to the controller. Now, it would feel so weird trying to get her to play a game, though I caught her playing a card game on her phone.

KrisB

That's really impressive. I think she clocked the game in the same time as me and Ive been gaming for 25+ years hahaha.

What a great chronicle. Especially this:
DCtewW5UIAA8Nie.jpg

It's always fascinating to hear how someone unfamiliar with games experiences said games, particularly the more inscrutable aspects that you don't think about. But to do it for something like FFXV is just jaw-droppingly incredible--hats off to Rami's mom; that's a kind of dedication even seasoned gamers (i.e. myself) lack at times.

Gbraga

That was beautiful, I really enjoyed reading it.

One of these days I'll get my mom to play The Last Guardian. She likes everything about it, even made me tell her the whole story, but just feels intimidated by the controller.

No, the point here is that this:

is a rather fruitless remark. If poster actually wanted Rami's mom to play 'a good game', contacting Rami with that sentiment would at least have some discernible effect towards that goal moreso than posting on GAF about it.

In other words, poster doesn't really care what Rami's mom does and just wants to make sure the opinion that 'FFXV is a bad game lol' is heard at every possible opportunity.

I just don't want that poster messaging Rami about it as he's already gotten plenty of those and I am sure he doesn't want more.

However, I understand what you are saying and what your point is. I am in agreement with it. :)

FFXV as a first experience has a fairly positive impact from what I have seen IRL so it is not surprising to see Rami's mom like it.

Generally that has been my observation too.

Top Bottom