• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moms are Tough - Rami Ismail's mom beats her first game: Final Fantasy XV [SPOILERS!]

Lol, going from X-2 to X must've been weird. What's your fave?
I remember feeling the combat got a real downgrade XD

Probably V. I still take part in the Fiesta every year using the iOS version. SE really should release a port on PS4 if they're going to wait on remastering/remaking it.

My mother still likes to watch me play FF games and makes sure to stick around the first 2 hours of each new game.

Kinyou

Man, this is so cool. I'm impressed that she kept pushing on, FFXV can be a drag at times. Then again, perhaps because she's not used to games she didn't mind as much

Koozek

I know a couple of elderly who would probably fall in love with video games if they only gave them a chance and weren't literally afraid of the modern tech.
There's for example my neighbour, 80 years old, he's mentally completely fit, but his physical health started to deteriorate.
He is a huge car enthusiast. It is literally all he ever cared for. He owns like a dozen cars, many vintage ones and as far as I can remember he always proudly drove them around the block, so that they remained in good shape and occasionally he drove over to Hockenheimring (which is not far away) to watch races.
A few months ago he got in fortunately just a minor car accident. It was his fault and the state of his physical health was involved, so he got his driver's licence revoked. There's not a chance he will ever get it back.
This was a terrible loss for him. He now watches races on TV if they are on, reads car magazines, but that is not nearly a replacement.
I bet, if he could get into video games, he would absolutely love games like Gran Turismo or Forza. Games were you can customize your car, where you can virtually examine the newest and most expensive cars from outside to inside and where you can at least virtually drive them on all the famous racing tracks of the world.
Yeah. And now imagine that in VR. Doesn't the upcoming Gran Turismo have a VR mode? Maybe get your neighbour into it? :D

18-Volt

Back in the day I made my mother to beat Kirby's Dreamland 3 on SNES. His mother sounds like younger than mine, mine is a baby boomer, she was incompatible anything computer related.

That's amazing, though it's heavily predicated on having a receptive parent!

I guess "a final fantasy for fans and first timers" was true after all!

Koozek

What picture did she pick?! Cindy is the only right choice.
It's in the OP:

DEVG2HMXgAAzPNg.jpg

Tyaren

Yeah. And now imagine that in VR. Doesn't the upcoming Gran Turismo have a VR mode? Maybe get your neighbour into it? :D

The entry hurdle is just too high and they are literally too afraid of it.
He regularly calls or comes over to us just because he pressed a wrong button on his TV remote, and now the TV doesn't work properly anymore. It is the simplest of stuff, like accidentally pressing the no audio button, and he can't get it to work again. :(

Koozek

The entry hurdle is just too high and they are literally too afraid of it.
He regularly calls or comes over to us just because he pressed a wrong button on his TV remote, and now the TV doesn't work properly anymore. It is the simplest of stuff, like accidentally pressing the no audio button, and he can't get it to work again. :(
Yeah, I know what you mean. I always help out with setting up TV stuff for older friends and family (though younger people know surprisingly little about how to correctly setup their TVs to get better picture quality and less lag, too - can't tell you how many of my friends had been playing HD consoles for years with disgusting TV settings, haha).

Been following this since Rami posted about it. It has been great reading all of her impressions and that they both love the game. :,)

sibarraz

Banned
That gif reminded me than Punished Noctis is the best design ever from Square Enix, hope to see him in more games instead of young Noctis

My 34 year-old mom couldn't wrap her head around Super Mario Bros. in 1988, can't imagine how she'd react if I sat her down w/ a dualshock & FF15 today.

Listonosh

Omg this was absolutely wonderful. It's the kind of thing that I'd love to sit my wife in front of, and let her figure it out. But sadly, her schedule and our two kids would never really allow for her enjoy this game on her own time. But maybe one day...

Arkeband

Banned
Only 88 posts this time till the first trolling. Maybe FFXV threads are improving.....?
Your opinion on the game is irrelevant to this discussion. Someone enjoyed playing a game and her son shared the story. It's s touching story that doesn't need to be taken down by I hate FFXV statements.

Aw nuts, the FFXV police are here!

Cheese it!

I wish my own mother was this open-minded. Great read!

It's still a massive perspective shift.

I figured you're basically going to run through 8 bombing missions and that's it and suddenly holy what there's a world map wow

(I'm a late bloomer)

This is a very JRPG and particularly a very Final Fantasy experience. Mine was with FFIV, also my first FF, which started with you carrying a package to a god forsaken village and ended with space travel and fighting mind-controlling ancient aliens and giant mecha.

My Mum has been playing Crash Bandicoot recently and I sent her a quote I liked from an old interview about adaptive difficulty to help encourage her to push on.

04RI2LT.png

Hope she doesn't give up. I told her to play Warped first since Crash 1 is definitely too tricky.

This frusterates me because the only thing that keeps me from progressing and the thing that keeps my wife from playing are the jumps. So I do notice that the game continually tries helping us in all the areas we don't need help in.

More on topic, it would be neat to see my mom beat a game again. Thankfully she had found ways to fill her time but for a good while she'd just watch tv at home all day and I was always tempted to buy her a console. This story is very sweet :)

balohna

I have never had the patience to finish a Final Fantasy. I always get really into them and then give up 30-40 hours in when I hit a wall and need to grind a ton. So kudos to his mom for sticking with it and finishing the game.

Awww, this was a fantastic thing to read, thanks for making this thread. My sister hates videogames with a passion but whenever I play a Final Fantasy game, she finds a reason to sit on the couch next to me and looks up at the tv all the time while pretending to read a book, lol.

Mash83

This is so good and very well written. I hope they do this with another game, it sounds like she would probably be up for it.

Top Bottom