• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I finally beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My biggest gripe is the incredibly sluggish blocking.

I see the attack coming from a mile away. I am holding block. Holding. Holding. Been holding for at least two seconds, maybe three. Don't block. It happens so frequently as to make blocking pointless. I do not understand how this made it past even the first week of testing. It is so obviously broken.

Lethal01

Please lock him in that department forever
You’re in luck, because Nomura is lead designer for Kingdom Hearts 4 - just like you wished for

Nomura was always pretty detached from this project they just wanted his name on it to help sell, All that's really happened is he got a job title that matches his actual role.

The writing of this game is the result of the people who actually wrote it, you can try to blame Nomura for everything you don't like about it but don't be surprised when the writers of the first game do the same things in the second.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My biggest gripe is the incredibly sluggish blocking.

I see the attack coming from a mile away. I am holding block. Holding. Holding. Been holding for at least two seconds, maybe three. Don't block. It happens so frequently as to make blocking pointless. I do not understand how this made it past even the first week of testing. It is so obviously broken.
The base game blocking its decent but isn't perfect but they absolutely improved it in Intermission. Yuffie perfect block works really nice, so much so that on hard I blocked majority of enemies attacks and one of her weapons has the ability to cast manawall if you do successful perfect block.

In the base game I mostly used Cloud's punisher mode and Counterstance.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I do not understand how this made it past even the first week of testing. It is so obviously broken.

I wouldn't say it's broken(although they did change it in the update). It's a design decision that they went back on.

They WANTED you to have to commit to offense or defense since the game is meant to feel like a mix of action and turnbased. They wanted there to be times where you just have to play it safe and block while waiting for the enemy to take their "turn" before you take yours.

Now I get and agree that games should be responsive but do also think there is a place for games that force you to do hard commits instead of being able to block or dodge out of everything if you have good enough reflexes. I don't think either is fundamentally wrong and we already have hundreds of games where blocking is instant.

I loved the music and combat. I also like Aerith. She's my kinda gal, though I don't care for the English localizers throwing in swears for her just cause (extremely loose interpretation of what the original Japanese dialogue was), so I'll be playing in Japanese exclusively moving forward as I expect more of it.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Characterization was the best part of remake's story. They significantly improved on the characters. The script is also filled with fun and light-hearted moments, while remaining serious when it has to. Some new story scenarios worked really well and improved upon the original (chapter 4 with avalanche, chapter 9 with Cloud/Aerith, Aerith/Marlene interaction are just some examples) while others felt poorly executed and bloated the story a bit too much (graveyard's ghosts, arbiters of fate), even though I'm really intrigued by how the later concept will influence part 2 and 3.

Combat was a very decent hybrid between action and turn-based combat, with a lot of room for improvement. I've only played the PS4 version, so I don't know how the PS5 QoL tweaks feel like yet. Having both a multi-weapon sphere-grid system and the materia system added good depth to the game, although I felt it was lacking a bit on secret/optional treasures/gear/skills that weren't highly telegraphed. The game would greatly benefit from a Clam Lands/Pulse kind of area in the late game. Future releases will probably have that, though.

Music is top-notch, and its impressive how MASSIVE this game's soundtrack is. Nearly every boss has its own battle theme, or multi-part themes; the collectible music discs also have a lot of interesting and varied remixes; etc.

I would give the game a 8/10. It's definitely a return-to-form from Business Division 1 after the FFXIII series, but there's still a lot of room to do better.

Kaachan

Nomura was always pretty detached from this project they just wanted his name on it to help sell, All that's really happened is he got a job title that matches his actual role.

The writing of this game is the result of the people who actually wrote it, you can try to blame Nomura for everything you don't like about it but don't be surprised when the writers of the first game do the same things in the second.

Don’t be silly, Nomura IS the director

His co-workers in the project wanted to make a modernised FFVII but Nomura insisted that he would make it his own way
Mg9b0QM.jpg

5cywTic.jpg

mjQ07SI.jpg

If you’ve played anything that Nomura has written you’ll see pretty quickly that the ending of Remake screams his name. From the (sudden) cliche teenage dialogues, animu direction (Cloud can suddenly jump like a ninja and slash through concrete), time travelling and of course it can’t be Nomura without the purple tentacle boss. It’s so clear

Hohenheim

Definitly one of the most boring games I have played from start to finish the last 5 years. The original is one of my favourite games ever, and this was such a snorefest.
The most boring side missions I can remember in any game, especially the ones who forced me to spend even more time in that shitty, boring slum city.

Lethal01

Don’t be silly, Nomura IS the director

His co-workers in the project wanted to make a modernised FFVII but Nomura insisted that he would make it his own way
Mg9b0QM.jpg

5cywTic.jpg

mjQ07SI.jpg

If you’ve played anything that Nomura has written you’ll see pretty quickly that the ending of Remake screams his name. From the (sudden) cliche teenage dialogues, animu direction (Cloud can suddenly jump like a ninja and slash through concrete), time travelling and of course it can’t be Nomura without the purple tentacle boss. It’s so clear

Nomura encouraged the team to try to surpass the original yes.
He was also the one who discouraged how much the used Sephiroth which was someone else's idea and told them they were losing sights of the theme. You assume Nomura is the only one who likes the theme of destiny and time travel but the people writing for him love it as well. Perhaps the entire team making FF are simply into the things you hate.

Also blaming him for Cloud being superhuman is crazy. That's been Cloud's MO since the original and is a staple of Final Fantasy. no seriously that's the strangest part of your post by far. I'll give you that I was not in the dev room and can't say actually say who did what. but are you seriously telling me that cloud being super acrobatic and strong is a "Nomura thing" and not just a japanese rpg thing that we've seen in every Final fantasy project for the last 2 decades or so?

I guarantee you ff16 will have just as crazy super human feats, you know, since we have already seen them and since it was also a thing in the creator last game, and the game before that.

El Sueño

My mayor complain is that I want it with turned based gameplay. It was button, button, hit (everything fast and bla bla)= didn`t see a shit

Famipan

It’s the first JRPG I started playing in a long while but couldn’t keep up.
It’s extremely horny and I can concentrate as much as when trying to play DOA-games - that is not at all.
God help me if I ever got a good GPU and the PC-version and got into modding like EvilLore did.

Instead I might replay the original.

(sidenote: Same reason Nier Automata is unplayed)

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also blaming him for Cloud being superhuman is crazy. That's been Cloud's MO since the original and is a staple of Final Fantasy. no seriously that's the strangest part of your post by far. I'll give you that I was not in the dev room and can't say actually say who did what. but are you seriously telling me that cloud being super acrobatic and strong is a "Nomura thing" and not just a japanese rpg thing that we've seen in every Final fantasy project for the last 2 decades or so?
Ah, the denial of existing as todays youth and only remembering what exists post-Advent Children.

You do know that Final Fantasy VII existed way before the era of Cloud before AC and Super Smash Bros. don't you?

Edit: what people think Cloud is/should be in the Remake (again; in the REMAKE, which is set in Midgar, where Cloud is a doofus):

JauntySpanishCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

What Cloud really is:

qngub2fhyf721.jpg

Last edited:

Kaachan

No, Cloud did not have superpowers in the original game. You could argue that he becomes somewhat of a ''superhero'' because he's starting out as a simple boy from Nibelheim and manages to eventually surpass his inspirations Zack and Sephiroth but that's in the ENDING of the game AND with a much more simple, and refined Omnislash defeat. Again, not defying physics by jump-flying and slashing through buildings

The whole thing about this is that it takes Cloud the entire game to find his inner strength and finally accept his own mind to find himself. He doesn't just gain it instantly right after popping out of Midgar

I guarantee you ff16 will have just as crazy super human feats, you know, since we have already seen them and since it was also a thing in the creator last game, and the game before that.

Also who said anything about the other games? They're perfectly fine. We're comparing VII and VII Remake here

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Game is just not good, quited the game in the moment i had to do some generic kill x rats or something quest. I was done.

Reactions: Fuz

Drizzlehell

Banned
I had a blast playing it. jRPGs are like my least prioritised genre of games but with FF7R, I was completely enthralled from start to finish and I can't wait for the continuation.

I suppose it helps that I never had much interest in the series before and i never even played the original. Many FF fans always sound like they're perpetually unhappy with every new game, regardless of what it is.

Lethal01

No, Cloud did not have superpowers in the original game. You could argue that he becomes somewhat of a ''superhero'' because he's starting out as a simple boy from Nibelheim and manages to eventually surpass his inspirations Zack and Sephiroth but that's in the ENDING of the game AND with a much more simple, and refined Omnislash defeat. Again, not defying physics by jump-flying and slashing through buildings

The whole thing about this is that it takes Cloud the entire game to find his inner strength and finally accept his own mind to find himself. He doesn't just gain it instantly right after popping out of Midgar

Also who said anything about the other games? They're perfectly fine. We're comparing VII and VII Remake here
Edit: what people think Cloud is/should be in the Remake (again; in the REMAKE, which is set in Midgar, where Cloud is a doofus):

JauntySpanishCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

What Cloud really is:

qngub2fhyf721.jpg

The main point here was that this isn't something that can be pointed result of Nomura direction. Because it's simply what has been normal in both Final Fantasy and Japanese RPG's in general. It's also what they would be going off of even without Nomura since as you said it's been a normal thing in Final fantasy since FFX.

I mean you even said "what people think Cloud is/should be in the Remake " So you know what people are expecting, as do all the developers. They don't need Nomura to tell them how about how Cloud should be, we all know.

Ah, the denial of existing as todays youth and only remembering what exists post-Advent Children.
You do know that Final Fantasy VII existed way before the era of Cloud before AC and Super Smash Bros. don't you?

Yes, I played FF7 and I'm aware that at this point in the story Cloud is already a superpowered freak with Alien DNA that spent 4 years soaking in the essence of the Planet itself and sucked in the memories of some of the best fighters on the planet. In the first Hour of game he takes this giant robot down with a massive sword. Then a little later you fight another giant Robot with Tifa, who can go toe to toe with it using her bare hand and even she's impressed with him. He falls 50 meters and lives, he

image.png

The dude shoots lasers out of his sword.

Later in the game he gets more MENTALLY strong and learns who he really is, but physically he's already ridiculously strong and the way they depict his strength in remake is exactly what you'd expect of anime, which Final Fantasy is.

maybe you should try actually playing the the original before complaining that the remake changes to much of it;)

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It’s really not a good product. The padding might be an all time worst in video game history. Just came off as greedy to me. Remake the whole fucking game instead of taking advantage of the chumps that will pay day 1 prices 3 different times.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Cloud was the victim of Mako poisoning two separate times. SOLDIER is injected with a relatively safe amount, and they're power and resilience increase over regular humans by at least double. Cloud got way more of that shit. Twice. By the beginning of VII, once Jenova reconfigured his brain to a functioning form, he is DEFINITELY powerful enough to be a Shonen protagonist. By the end of the game? Definitely.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, lasers from Clouds weapon. Look here, we’ve got someone who’s comparing fucking Blade Beam with concrete-slashing, flying-like-marry-poppins-Cloud here. Why don’t you take your troll 2019 account (imagine being a 2019 account btw) and travel into a time-line where you and your dumb takes are actually relevant.
maybe you should try actually playing the the original before complaining that the remake changes to much of it;)
I was fingering women while solo-grinding Emerald Weapon in 97 while you were in your diapers playing Xbox 360 as your first video game console and then playing FFVII on epsxe 10 years later.

Get demolished, kiddo :)

Last edited:

Madflavor

Those people expect 1:1 remake of the but didn’t got that now they treating this game as if it’s worst game ever created.

I myself really enjoyed the game and I have respect for devs willing to such risk even they do piss off some fans.

Agreed. They can cite the "padding and bad side quests" all they want, but it's clear to me that their tolerance level towards those things were very low because they had already made their minds up about the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed. They can cite the "padding and bad side quests" all they want, but it's clear to me that their tolerance level towards those things were very low because they had already made their minds up about the game.
Here is the thing even if they did 1:1 remake there still be people who wouldn't be happy and would say original game was better so no matter what some people wouldn't happy about it.

So instead of making boring 1:1 remake they decided go with more interesting direction and unlike most old games original FFVII still very much playable on modern system that people can enjoy.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Wow, lasers from Clouds weapon. Look here, we’ve got someone who’s comparing magical lasers from Clouds weapon with concrete-slashing, flying-like-marry-poppins-Cloud here.

Yes, it's good that you admit that this, along with the fact that once again he is swinging a giant sword through giant robots make him clearly superhuman? which you tried to claim he wasn't at the start at the game since you never actually had the patience to play it yourself and just watched it online a month before remake came out.

Cloud is clearly super human in the original game, what he does in remake is nothing that he wouldn't canonically be able to do at the start of OG and nothing that would have been out of place, advancement in technology and developer skill has just made it easier to showcase his strength in the anime fashion you'd expect. You try to frame concrete cutting and high jumping as different in some way but it's the shame level of shit he's always been doing. Please go ahead and dig the hole you are in further by trying to come up with a way they aren't comparable. Or you could just throw around some ad hominems since we both know they are the same.

Anyway I'll have you know my first console was the dreamcast.🍥

Last edited:

Yoshichan

Anyway I'll have you know my first console was the dreamcast.🍥
I’d continue railing your ass like I’ve done the past posts but I’m a softie for the 99/9/9. I’ll let you off the hook this time.

Last edited:

Lethal01

You're obviously correct, sorry for wasting your time when I couldn't think of a single thing that actually contradicts you.
It's fine dude, I get it, Remake showed you a great representation of the characters you remembered from back in the day and it's different from what you imagine, but it's still a great representation of what was actually in the original game.

Neolombax

I'm currently playing it right now, so far it has been an amazing game. I did not play the original FF7, so I had no expectations. My only gripe so far are the slow parts of the game, where you have to walk around slowly, slowly climb across beams, slowly go through tight spaces, I mean why are those here? It just breaks all momentum. I dont mind the character building parts, I think they're fantastic, but I'm currently at the wall market and it has been 2 nights in a row that I feel asleep playing this part.

Lethal01

I'm currently playing it right now, so far it has been an amazing game. I did not play the original FF7, so I had no expectations. My only gripe so far are the slow parts of the game, where you have to walk around slowly, slowly climb across beams, slowly go through tight spaces, I mean why are those here? It just breaks all momentum. I dont mind the character building parts, I think they're fantastic, but I'm currently at the wall market and it has been 2 nights in a row that I feel asleep playing this part.

Technical reason probably, on base ps4 streaming was pretty terrible and just running for too long cause a ton of pop in so they are *probably* there to slow you down and let things load.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
It's weird that some people wanted this game to be more "realistic" and "grounded" instead of the highly stylized route it went to. I mean, what did you expect from a story staring a spiked hair character that can destroy massive robots with an oversized sword, summon meteor rain into his enemies and fall down from Midgar's plates into the slums and survive?

Criticize it for its faults, but it "not being realistic" or "being like an anime" is just self-imposed disappointment.

EDIT:
BTW, if you took away the bloat out of this 40-hour game, you would still have a 30-hour game. There's some serious filler in there, but there's also a lot of expanded, slower-paced character development that has merit on its own.

Last edited:

murstdurst

Neo Member
I played through it once, but have absolutely no desire to touch it again. It has none of the iconic quality of the original.
Agreed with this. though i couldn't even finish it.

It has nothing, besides the characters and story (and even that they ruin) that the original had and made it epic.
And this modern jrpg thing, with ai controlled allies, is just not for me at all! I HATE it.

They should really contact capcom and get some pointers on how to actually remake classic amazing games.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Agreed with this. though i couldn't even finish it.

It has nothing, besides the characters and story (and even that they ruin) that the original had and made it epic.
And this modern jrpg thing, with ai controlled allies, is just not for me at all! I HATE it.

They should really contact capcom and get some pointers on how to actually remake classic amazing games.
Well said.

I'm playing it right now. As a game, it has absolutely nothing to do with the original. But I like it as a fancy looking cheesy action game from the FF universe. Chapter 6 rn after 5 hours.
And for me it’s the opposite. The remake captures what the original was going for in every way from gameplay to character interactions. I’m so thankful the original team could finally come together to make it right.

SCB3

I loved the game on PS4 when it released, FFVII is legit one of my top 5 games and the remake expands on it so so much more

If you get the chance, play the Yuffie DLC as well, I finally got round to playing it this weekend and its fantastic and a nice short piece of whats coming next I think. Personally I've playing CC Reunion now and this is also a great little game that expands the lore more

Kacho

Gold Member
I finally played it on PS4. Without the nostalgia it’s an awful game. It’s like taking something beautiful, turning it into a pig and then putting lipstick on it.

I have really mixed feelings about this game. I wish it wasn't called FF VII and was called something else, because it's a total retcon/sequel/reimagning/whatever it is and not what they marketed it as at all. This was a Kojima swap a la MGS2 style and they knew what they were doing.

But yeah, I really like the gameplay, like the musical score, graphics, and so forth, but not so much the padding, reduced material functionality/system, "new" characters like motorcycle dude that sucks ass, things like that. This was something I was more hyped for than anything in a LONG time and it was a terrible feeling when I started playing and began to realize what this was and what it wasn't. I really was hoping for FF VII again, instead I got Sora's Adventure in Midgar. It's really depressing, but there are redeeming qualities in there.

Bojji

I like how polarizing it is:

- hated it
- best game ever

I personally liked it very much. I only completed initial few hours of FFVII back in PS1 days so i don't have to compare it to finished original. It's one of the best games in recent years.

Davesky

The remake was a really special experience for me. The original was not only my favourite game of all time, but my first ever game with a proper story never mind an rpg. It was like the memory of playing with your childhood imaginary soft toys or lego characters come to life, it was similar experience to watching Fellowship of the Ring in cinema for the first time. The developers worked really heard to make this feel as authentic as possible for everybody so they have to be given credit for their hard work to make this happen.

I liked the new story elements, the extra dimensional / edge of creation stuff really fits in with the Sephiroth we all already knew, although I feel Zack was one step too far. Unless it’s all just a big red herring and tied in too Clouds PTSD and made up false memories then I have major concerns for any of the sequels.

I like the idea of Aerith becoming a Christ like figure this time around, I actually thought that was her intention first time I played the game. It’s funny how a lot of the stuff that was only subtely hinted or thought about the original is actually there in the remake.

Last edited:

RafterXL

This game is the definition of style over substance. It's a very boring, extremely padded, beautiful mess of a game that actually made me think less fondly of the original, that finally made me write off jrpgs for good, and question why I ever liked them in the first place.

buenoblue

Err thanks for letting us know I guess. Future tip....if your not enjoying a game simply don't play it 🤷‍♂️. There are thousands of other games to play. Oh and another tip, play Japanese games in Japanese language with subtitles. So much better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom