• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2K is dead

Konami should just step in themselves. They have two baseball series in japan they basically just need to get the license and integrate it.

Speaking as a guy who's a big PES fan, is North America ready for the Konamization of professional baseball? We'd have team names like Toronto Blue, Bronx Stripes, and Boston Rouges. And players named Deter Jerek and Mitel Cabara.

clemenx

Banned
I still have MVP 05 with a shitload of mods installed on my PC. Even if I stupidly bought MLB 2k the last year :/ Just couldn't compare.

I would hope EA can return to the MVP baseball form.

BoSox06DH

I would like for there to be competition for both the MLB and NFL games simply because some of the better sports games have been when EA and 2K we at each other's necks to have the better product. I mean look at NFL 2K4 when it was just $20! I got the game and had fun with it. Buying the exclusive third-party rights has all but destroyed the quality of Madden and MLB 2K. Madden has been pretty meh for a while, but it' such a powerful brand at this point so they'll always sell. I want the best for everyone as in a great football and baseball game. I do have great memories of MVP 2005, so I would welcome EA returning to baseball as long there is no exclusive deal to bear with. In general there should be no exclusive dea, (NBA is somewhat against this correct?), and I want there to be good sports games to be avaiable to all consoles.

DMczaf

This doesn't really make sense. If you're the NFL, you'd want to get the best deal (money). You're not going to get it if you only negotiate with only one company.

They negotiated with multiple companies (yes, 2K was bidding too). EA made the best offer, thus EA has the license.

This doesn't really make sense. If you're the NFL, you'd want to get the best deal (money). You're not going to get it if you only negotiate with only one company.

You don't you negotiate with 1 company, you negotiate with everyone but only give it to 1 bid. The NFL loves exclusives it's the same reason that Direct TV is the only provider with the full NFL package.

Mrbob

No baseball game at all on 360 next year, wow. Buy a PS3.

How can people blame EA for this? WTF?

Speaking of EA though, how much longer will they hold the NFL exclusive rights?

NFL likes exclusive deals, and no matter how crappy Madden has become it's still considered an institution which sells. So my guess is as long as Madden keeps selling, the exclusive deal will continue.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The MLB license deal was a direct response to EA running to the NFL to kill off Madden's competition. Had that deal not happened gamers would still be getting two awesome NFL titles and two awesome MLB titles a year to choose from. Instead we get one meh football title and one good baseball title that is kind of on cruise control like NBA2k since it also is without real competition.

Was not trying to say the NFL deal is entirely to blame for this, of course the 2k games could have been better.

Yeah but nobody forced 2K to make a shit deal in response to losing the NFL license. Blaming EA for this franchise stinking up the joint and losing crazy amounts of money is kind of silly. They should have held firm at a price point that made financial sense, not decide to recklessly do a license deal that was questionable from the very start.

Really do hope EA gets back into the mix at least on the next cycle. The Show has honestly rested on their laurels a bit, getting some real competition at the very least would be good for everybody. I can't see anybody but EA deciding to get involved.

Yeah but nobody forced 2K to make a shit deal in response to losing the NFL license. Blaming EA for this franchise stinking up the joint and losing crazy amounts of money is kind of silly. They should have held firm at a price point that made financial sense, not decide to recklessly do a license deal that was questionable from the very start.

Really do hope EA gets back into the mix at least on the next cycle. The Show has honestly rested on their laurels a bit, getting some real competition at the very least would be good for everybody. I can't see anybody but EA deciding to get involved.

Never did that. EA's deal was a factor in all this though, all I said. Yet to see that deal result in a single positive thing for gamers, only bad things have happened.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Speaking as a guy who's a big PES fan, is North America ready for the Konamization of professional baseball? We'd have team names like Toronto Blue, Bronx Stripes, and Boston Rouges. And players named Deter Jerek and Mitel Cabara.

They didn't have any major issues with both Power Pros games they released in 07 and 08, they just need the license. If they can't wait for the deal to expire and 2K won't publish, they can try to get a publishing deal with MS or Nintendo, but then it would be platform exclusive obviously.

Quick

Banned
The Show is amazing, but I'd still like to see what other companies have to offer for baseball games. That said, I played MLB 2K7 from ages ago and it was a pretty shitty experience that turned me off from the 2K series completely.

MVP Baseball 2005 is awesome, and still holds up alright today given how old it is.

Raoh

6944947159_a1e90712f3_z.jpg

Afrikan

Time for Nintendo to bring back a version of this:

197847_50339_front.jpg

what this game has, that MLB The Show NEEDS to add was that camera view where you are in First Person Perspective/ over the shoulder view when you were catching pop flies.

Afrikan

Like someone mentioned in the first page...all 2K needs to do is use Konami's Japanese Baseball game engine and go from there.

B.O.O.M

I need to look up an article of comparison between this series and The Show, just to see what San Diego did right vs what these guys did wrong

bjb

Banned
To be honest - even The Show wasn't that great this year. I mean, it's an excellent game, but the modes and features are getting a bit stale.

I'd definitely like to see them have some competition, otherwise it'll turn into another Madden.

BFIB

To be honest - even The Show wasn't that great this year. I mean, it's an excellent game, but the modes and features are getting a bit stale.

I'd definitely like to see them have some competition, otherwise it'll turn into another Madden.
The new ball physics were worth a purchase alone.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Take Unreal Engine 3 and create a Cel-Shaded Baseball game like Baseball Stars.

Take Unreal Engine 3 and create a Cel-Shaded Football game like Tecmo Bowl.

Ryan_IGN

The unfortunate legacy of the MLB 2K series for gamers was that it was never a next-gen product. They chose to simply build on top of the last-gen engine, and as a result there have been legacy quirks/bugs/"features" in every iteration of the game for the last ten years. For instance, you get the same small batch of hit types (soft line drives at infielders) ten times per game every single year. In the end, it was like the team at Kush Games/Visual Concepts could only try to patch up the same walls to a rickety old house -- they were never going to be able to unlock its full potential without razing the whole thing and starting with a brand-new foundation.

Say what you will about EA, but they took the time/resources to have separate teams that built new tech from the ground-up for their sports titles in this generation, and as such they at least feel like games that pushed next-gen tech. NBA Live looked amazing even if the gameplay sucked, NHL actually took a year off between Xbox 1 and 360 so EA Canada could build new tech for it (and it's been great), and Madden's gameplay has slowly caught up to its solid tech over the course of this generation.

As an Xbox gamer and die-hard baseball fan, I sincerely hope EA has been planning to jump back into baseball at the end of 2K's exclusivity contract -- just in time for new consoles, allowing them to again build from the ground-up for it. If they have, they now get the added -- and probably unexpected -- reward of not having to deal with 2K as a competitor in that space anymore. They can own the baseball market on Xbox 720 by default, and try (emphasis: try) to give The Show a run for its money on the Sony side of things.

Omega

Banned
hopefully that means EA can make one, and then maybe EA will back off the NFL exclusivity so we can finally get a good football game.

border

Through 2013, but they'll probably extend it again.

Why would EA extend their exclusivity contract with the NFL?

They have no competitors whatsoever. 2K/Visual Concepts are probably in no position to buy exclusivity out from under their nose. Does anyone who knows how to make a football game even work at VC anymore? They haven't done a football title for like half a decade.

Mrbob

It's the other way around. The NFL needs to extend their license to EA. Without the NFL license EA doesn't have Madden, and the NFL likes to deal with exclusive contracts. I'm sure EA will try to negotiate the best deal possible but Madden makes both companies a lot of money, so this is reason alone to keep their deal going.

Ryan_IGN

Also, I'd like to offer best wishes to the team at Visual Concepts in the (likely) event that this news results in a number of layoffs. :(

Omega

Banned
It's the other way around. The NFL needs to extend their license to EA. Without the NFL license EA doesn't have Madden, and the NFL likes to deal with exclusive contracts. I'm sure EA will try to negotiate the best deal possible but Madden makes both companies a lot of money, so this is reason alone to keep their deal going.

who gives a shit what's good for the NFL? They already make enough money.

If they really want exclusive that bad go with 2k. It'll sell the same amount of copies.

EA hasn't done shit with Madden. THQ has done more with it's WWE games

Top Bottom