• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2K is dead

Kifimbo

I guess giving a few million of dollars didn't work.

Major League Baseball 2K’s Cancellation Looms on Grim News from Game’s Publisher

Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of 2K Sports, notably left Major League Baseball 2K out of its planned releases in its coming fiscal year. Kotaku asked Take-Two Interactive if it could confirm the end of the series, and it did.

"Our legacy Major League Baseball agreement will sunset in fiscal 2013," a Take-Two spokesman said, meaning in the coming 12 calendar months. "MLB 2K12 is our last offering under that agreement. At this time, we have no further comment."

While that language would seem to leave open the possibility for a new agreement, in a conference call with investors today, Take-Two said it expects the losses associated with the game to be 60 percent less in the coming fiscal year, and zeroed out in the one after that, strongly indicating the expiration of the series. Kotaku asked directly if Take-Two or 2K Sports was in any discussion to extend its agreement and did not receive any answer.

Take-Two's seven-year pact with Major League Baseball, a deal cut by a previous management regime, was believed to cost the company $30 million dollars as the series never found consistent critical or commercial success.

Take-Two chief Strauss Zelnick had long indicated that the company would not renew the deal with MLB, calling it a money-loser the company had no interest in. The company's strategy, increasingly, is to produce high quality offerings on franchises it wholly owns, and MLB 2K represented neither.

The move means NBA 2K—which Take-Two said by itself made 2K Sports profitable in the past fiscal year—is 2K Sports only remaining annual sports title. The label published Top Spin a tennis simulation in 2011 but it was never an annual series.

It also means there could be no Major League Baseball simulation title for the Xbox 360 next year. 2K Sports had the exclusive rights to develop and publish third-party console games. This effectively made it the exclusive title on the 360, as Microsoft did not publish its own game. Sony produces its own for the PlayStation line, the acclaimed MLB The Show.

EA Sports publishes a Major League Baseball-licensed Facebook game but is expected to sit out on console titles until the next generation of hardware arrives.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5912483/major-league-baseball-2ks-cancellation-is-confirmed

So that opens the door up for an EA baseball game then?

Bring back MVP.

Edit: Shit, I should have read the whole thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In some bizarro world I would who approach who in getting The Show published on the 360 next season. Because there isn't going be one baseball game on it next year. Crazy.

The M.O.B

It only took The Show 6 years to conquer everyone else.

Now hopefully somebody can enter the NBA sim field and 1-up NBA2K.

Sony's attempt at an NBA game was awful, but hopefully they try again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That sucks, 2k12 was not bad.

Another negative result of EA's shitty exclusive deals.

What?

The negative result was based off of 2K's shitty deal (and shit games) where they were hemorrhaging money every single year even though they were the ONLY baseball game on any non Sony platform.

It only took The Show 6 years to conquer everyone else.

Now hopefully somebody can enter the NBA sim field and 1-up NBA2K.

Sony's attempt at an NBA game was awful, but hopefully they try again.

_proxy

World aint ready

The M.O.B

Sony owns MLB

2K owns NBA

EA owns NFL

EA owns Futbal

EA owns NHL

lol

*Note: I mean they unquestionable make the best/only sports game in each sport.

It pisses me off that Madden and MLB 2K got the exclusive rights to their sports when the NFL 2K and MVP series were better games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
2K should just commission Konami to do their MLB games now.

Come on PYS MLB!

I've also been playing a ton more Power Pros lately now that I have Dolphin up and running.

What?

The negative result was based off of 2K's shitty deal (and shit games) where they were hemorrhaging money every single year even though they were the ONLY baseball game on any non Sony platform.

The MLB license deal was a direct response to EA running to the NFL to kill off Madden's competition. Had that deal not happened gamers would still be getting two awesome NFL titles and two awesome MLB titles a year to choose from. Instead we get one meh football title and one good baseball title that is kind of on cruise control like NBA2k since it also is without real competition.

Was not trying to say the NFL deal is entirely to blame for this, of course the 2k games could have been better.

JBuccCP

These exclusive deals haven't been very successful for the video game companies. Madden's sales haven't improved at all since they did their deal, MLB 2k is dead now, same with EA's NASCAR series.

Xater

2K should just commission Konami to do their MLB games now.

Come on PYS MLB!

I've also been playing a ton more Power Pros lately now that I have Dolphin up and running.

Konami should just step in themselves. They have two baseball series in japan they basically just need to get the license and integrate it.

border

How can people blame EA for this? WTF?

Speaking of EA though, how much longer will they hold the NFL exclusive rights?

StUnNeR H2K

I've been playing the 2K baseball games, primarily because it's the only offering on the 360, but I've never been overly impressed with them. Hopefully someone else picks up the torch and does a better job. The last few offerings of MLB 2K have shown very little improvement, other than bug fixes.

BD1

Banned
Sports licenses are in a sort of strange situation these days. They are expensive and the industry is in decline right now. Factor in the actual development costs, and a lot of publishers might be asking if it's worth it. Same for THQ with the UFC and WWE license.

Strange that there is no multiplat MLB game, though. I wonder if Microsoft and Nintendo will develop their own exclusive titles or if another publisher will jump in?

The M.O.B

EA is making crazy money on Fifa, Madden and NHL 13.

They don't even need another sport when they dominate the most popular sport on earth, followed by the most popular American sport, followed by the most popular Canadian sport.

Good news for Sony. The 5 people who bought 2K every year will now buy a PS3 and The Show next year. The Show has gotten bigger and bigger every year (sales wise) and next year will only get bigger if its the only baseball sim on the market. Well deserved too because it is the best sports sim ever.

Ridley327

How can people blame EA for this? WTF?

Speaking of EA though, how much longer will they hold the NFL exclusive rights?

As long as the NFL wants them to; from what I understand, the NFL is very happy with their deal with EA and doesn't see any reason to take their business elsewhere.

KingJ2002

I hope next gen brings back competition amongst sports titles.

MLB 2K vs. MVP Baseball would be nice to see again

same with

NFL 2K vs. Madden NFL

and.. and...

NBA 2K vs. NBA Live

BD1

Banned
As long as the NFL wants them to; from what I understand, the NFL is very happy with their deal with EA and doesn't see any reason to take their business elsewhere.

Yep. As I understand it, it was the NFL who wanted the license exclusive with EA, and not the other way around.

Kifimbo

Yep. As I understand it, it was the NFL who wanted the license exclusive with EA, and not the other way around.

This doesn't really make sense. If you're the NFL, you'd want to get the best deal (money). You're not going to get it if you only negotiate with only one company.

DarkFlow

Banned
Good news for Sony. The 5 people who bought 2K every year will now buy a PS3 and The Show next year. The Show has gotten bigger and bigger every year (sales wise) and next year will only get bigger if its the only baseball sim on the market. Well deserved too because it is the best sports sim ever.
Damn right it is. My road to the show pitcher has 4 WS titles in 6 years and makes 25 million a year.

Top Bottom