• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Xbox - Quarter 4 Fiscal Year 2021 Results

The same goes for Xbox mate. It's a two way street. Sony was always going to be strong out of the gate early this gen and they continue to be in front of Xbox, Switch is just dominating though. As for mid-late this gen it will be far more interesting in terms of the Sony vs Xbox sales and profits. Currently Xbox generate a higher percentage of profit and Sony sell more hardware. Things will change this gen progresses.
Which is neither here nor there in relation the point I was making - refuting the claim of the poster I was replying to that hardware sales aren’t that important and making incorrect conclusions from the numbers.

But in relation to your point, it’s not “the same” either, as Sony started from a much stronger position and their non hardware revenues and profits in their most recent earnings were much stronger than Microsoft decline of 4% in revenue, indicating that a large gap in spend on each platform still exists, despite hardware sales being very similar due to supply bottlenecks limited units available and narrowing the gap in overall revenue between the divisions at present. If ample supply was available right now, indicators point that PS5 would be outselling Xbox Series X, however, that’s not to say that Series X would be selling poorly, it’s would still be posting very strong numbers - considerably stronger than last gen.

Last edited:

mejin

Great hardware numbers, but services numbers give me pause. Breaking even compared to last year even after a strong launch of next gen consoles? What?

Gaming
  • Gaming revenue increased $357 million or 11% driven by growth in Xbox hardware, offset in part by a decline in Xbox content and services.
  • Xbox hardware revenue increased 172% driven by higher price and volume of consoles sold due to the Xbox Series X|S launches.
  • Xbox content and services revenue decreased $128 million or 4% driven by a decline in third-party titles on a strong prior year comparable that benefitted from stay-at-home scenarios, offset in part by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions and first-party titles.
I thought they had Outriders and MLB The Show? Gamepass numbers were looking up and up. I believe they added something like 12 million users since April of last year?

I also dont know why they are blaming last year's quarter. What games released in the April to June period on xbox last year? I really cant think of any. PS4 had FF7 and TLOU2, but i dont remember seeing any major third party launches either. This year we had RE8 which shouldve been big. I still think they shouldve gone out and gotten RE8 instead of MLB the Show and Outriders. MLB is very American oriented and no one had even heard of Outriders before the face/offs.

Lack of first party sales are hurting their numbers as well. Really hope they start to churn out content fast because not taking advantage of hungry new console owners is a big missed opportunity. You arent selling consoles to make money. You are selling consoles to make sure those buyers spend MORE money which they dont seem to be doing right now. Absolutely insane if you think about it.

Would love to see Sonys numbers compared to last year. See if RE8, Ratchet and Returnal helped them post better numbers compared to last year when TLOU2 sold $240 million worth of copies in just one weekend, and FF7 sold a shit ton of copies in April.

This just means gamepass is eating softwares sales, but they'll never acknowledge it imo

So it’s a record Q4 for Xbox, and you lead your first post with ‘doesn’t sound massively positive’, and then you start squawking that everyone is too sensitive to your obvious trolling.

The mods need to go on another cull at the moment as some of the usual PS brigade are pushing it far too much.
He said it wasn't massively positive. Not that it wasn't positive at all. It's his opinion too. If he feels that way, leave him be.

I don't get why you're calling for accounts to be banned just because someone else posted a less than glowing view on this report.

So he's point about people being sensitive holds. Imagine calling for an account ban for a post like that. Jesus fucking Christ. Are you on your period? Did someone piss in your cereal today?

Rivet

Series X?

There were people saying Xbox One was going to be the last console! lol

It's well documented that was actually close to be true. After Xbox One failure, the choice was between giving up on this very minor part of MS business or trying something completely different ala Netflix. It was a close call by all accounts. And if Gamepass isn't successful, I don't see why XSX couldn't be their last console...

Like PS3 could have been the last PlayStation had they not turned the business around after the disastrous launch.

Something interesting to consider here: MS's annual gaming revenue figures are actually really good when compared to Sony's, considering from reports Sony seem to have about 3 million or so more PS5s' sold to the Series systems, and outsold MS last gen 2.25:1 to 2.5:1. Yet, MS's revenue numbers as a whole for the Xbox division are only ~ $7 billion less than Sony's peak for PS division ($22.5 billion), or only 46% less.

Comparatively, Sony have a hardware install base (between PS4 & PS5; figure this is fair since bot them and MS are still in a cross-gen period) of at least 125% over Microsoft (might actually be 150%, assuming XBO sales topped out at about 50 million and PS4 crossed 120 million).

Just goes to show something I was trying to get across a while ago: hardware sales don't say as much about ecosystem engagement and revenue (or if previous numbers given are being remembered right, profit) as some people think. That's why it's always been dangerous to use hardware sales as the end-all, be-all for judging what platform is doing "best" or which one isn't, especially this day and age.
I don't give an iota of a fuck about your post.
Its your Avatar. Your avatar disappoints me greatly.
Where are them thicc girls at?
You're dropping the ball mate. You're dropping the ball.
I can't even talk to you right now.

Last edited:
But the hardware sales are literally dominating the numbers here, that is the entire takeaway for this earnings report. Both consoles are selling everything they can make at the moment due to supply constraints. That obviously prevents Sony from taking a major lead, as they can’t sell more than they can manufacture.
True, but the point about supply not being able to meet demand applies to both, probably even Nintendo as well tho Switch sales have kind of softened going into 2021 (OLED will most likely bring all of that back up, even if I think it's kind of a mediocre device technologically speaking, for the price).

I think the hardware sales particularly stand out due to them being better than 360's, so that gives us something to reference numerically speaking that hasn't necessarily been the case with Xbox for a while except for other people trying to extrapolate numbers from official data given. But for me personally, that takes a backseat to the revenue total which seems really impressive considering how much less systems they have in their console install base compared to Sony and Nintendo.

The one thing I was just wanting to show there is that the relationship between console install base and ecosystem revenue is nowhere near a linear one. Personally, I think it could be enough to give, say, Sony, some pause to consider if producing/selling 2.5x the number of consoles in a system lifetime is worth "only" a 46% increase in ecosystem revenue (and IIRC, the ecosystem annual profits for both are even narrower than that).

That being said, there's obviously some aspects of Sony's approach Microsoft could stand to look at to figure how to incorporate those successfully into their ecosystem. Chiefly, because Sony has more console presence in global markets, it affords them a mindshare in places Xbox simply doesn't have, and in terms of cultural impact on a global scale mindshare means a lot.

Microsoft probably wants to use methods like Xcloud for handling that, dunno if the costs in producing a ton more consoles outright, at least in the first couple of years, is something they desire to do, whereas for Sony they're kind of forced to do it as it's expected of them at this point (so it's both a blessing and a curse, in a way).

I don't give an iota of a fuck about your post.
Its your Avatar. Your avatar disappoints me greatly.
Where are them thicc girls at?
You're dropping the ball mate. You're dropping the ball.
I can't even talk to you right now.

hv8s15swcoi31.jpg

wwlhSWk.png

C'mon, you can't tell me she not thicc ;) , look at dem thighs!!

Last edited:
On an overall note, I think hardware sales have been great for Microsoft so far and the Series X is doing a lot better in that respect than Xbox One did. That’s a big positive.

The content and services revenue is really disappointing, though. With the hardware selling so many units, first+third part game revenue and Gamepass subs combined should absolutely not be declining versus the same items this time last year, when the Series X did not exist and the revenue came entirely from Xbox One owners. Profit doesn’t matter to them at this early a stage in the life of Gamepass, but if revenue growth is decelerating, that will absolutely worry them, as this entire model is dependant on growing to a huge scale.

Kagey K

Banned
Which is neither here nor there in relation the point I was making - refuting the claim of the poster I was replying to that hardware sales aren’t that important and making incorrect conclusions from the numbers.

But in relation to your point, it’s not “the same” either, as Sony started from a much stronger position and their non hardware revenues and profits in their most recent earnings were much stronger than Microsoft decline of 4% in revenue, indicating that a large gap in spend on each platform still exists, despite hardware sales being very similar due to supply bottlenecks limited units available and narrowing the gap in overall revenue between the divisions at present. If ample supply was available right now, indicators point that PS5 would be outselling Xbox Series X, however, that’s not to say that Series X would be selling poorly, it’s would still be posting very strong numbers - considerably stronger than last gen.
We are going to have to wait until Aug 4th for a like for like comparison.

Last edited:

oldergamer

does anyone remember the first year sales for 360 and xbox one? i may be wrong but wasnt 360 pretty bad with only like 6m sold first year? no idea about xbox one

True, but the point about supply not being able to meet demand applies to both, probably even Nintendo as well tho Switch sales have kind of softened going into 2021 (OLED will most likely bring all of that back up, even if I think it's kind of a mediocre device technologically speaking, for the price).

I think the hardware sales particularly stand out due to them being better than 360's, so that gives us something to reference numerically speaking that hasn't necessarily been the case with Xbox for a while except for other people trying to extrapolate numbers from official data given. But for me personally, that takes a backseat to the revenue total which seems really impressive considering how much less systems they have in their console install base compared to Sony and Nintendo.

The one thing I was just wanting to show there is that the relationship between console install base and ecosystem revenue is nowhere near a linear one. Personally, I think it could be enough to give, say, Sony, some pause to consider if producing/selling 2.5x the number of consoles in a system lifetime is worth "only" a 46% increase in ecosystem revenue (and IIRC, the ecosystem annual profits for both are even narrower than that).

That being said, there's obviously some aspects of Sony's approach Microsoft could stand to look at to figure how to incorporate those successfully into their ecosystem. Chiefly, because Sony has more console presence in global markets, it affords them a mindshare in places Xbox simply doesn't have, and in terms of cultural impact on a global scale mindshare means a lot.

Microsoft probably wants to use methods like Xcloud for handling that, dunno if the costs in producing a ton more consoles outright, at least in the first couple of years, is something they desire to do, whereas for Sony they're kind of forced to do it as it's expected of them at this point (so it's both a blessing and a curse, in a way).
I think you are missing a key factor here. MS launched in more countries this time around then they ever were in before. This is also a factor in how well they are doing.

We are going to have to wait until the 4th for a like for like comparison.
Fair enough, but the last two quarters have been records for the PlayStation division across all sections: game revenue, hardware revenue, services revenue. I don’t think it is going to come out to a year on year decline in content and services unless this quarter comes out as a disaster in the PlayStation division.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Fair enough, but the last two quarters have been records for the PlayStation division across all sections: game revenue, hardware revenue, services revenue. I don’t think it is going to come out to a year on year decline in content and services unless this quarter comes out as a disaster in the PlayStation division.
Can you imagine if they experienced a 4% dip for content and services?

People be talking about it for weeks

kingfey

Banned
This just means gamepass is eating softwares sales, but they'll never acknowledge it imo
How does gamepass eats software sales?
Does it use Vodo magic, to eat those softwares?
And where does it dump the remaining, after it absorbed eating it?

Jokes aside, you clearly have no clue what gamepass goal is. So its easy to make those stupid claims.

Gamepass is just a service built in xbox console. Its main goal is to bring some form of revenue, increase game sales, and attract more customers.

Games have more chance getting sold due to gamepass.

Whether you buy the game or not, someone else will buy it.

The entire memo of gamepass, is that we have games. You have 1 year period of trial with those games. Once its expired, you have to buy those games.

There are 10-20 games added to the service monthly. That is 120-240 games a year. Your odds of you playing all those games is low. So you have no choice, but to buy them.

If people understood it this way, they wouldn't have bothered posting crap like that. As they say, ignorance is a bliss.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if they experienced a 4% dip for content and services?

People be talking about it for weeks
A 4% dip in content and services on a year on year basis for the PlayStation division would, no joke, actually be a huge deal. That’s the area that makes the overwhelming bulk of the profit.

dcmk7

Banned
Its main goal is to bring some form of revenue, increase game sales, and attract more customers.

I don't personally agree with this.

I've been using GamePass for a long time now.

And it's great. No complaints at all. Its existence has meant I haven't had to purchase quite a lot of games that I would have ended up purchasing otherwise. So it's fair to say it's saved me a fair bit of cash.

I think most gamers would be in the same boat. Negatively affecting sales.

Last edited:
Lol. Of couse Sony will have a huge YoY games and Service revenue drop. Most likely low double digit %

Last year April to June was 526bn Yen.
The second highest ever in any quarter including holiday quarters.

kingfey

Banned

And it's great. No complaints at all. Its existence has meant I haven't had to purchase quite a lot of games that I would have ended up purchasing otherwise. So it's fair to say it's saved me a fair bit of cash.

Let me ask you these simple questions.

1) Have you bought any dlc?

2) have you spent money on adds on, like mini content, characters, maps and cars.

3) Have you spent any money on mtx? Like ingame items.

If you did, then you are on of the targets of gamepass.

These form of spending brings money. People typically spend alot of money on dlc, on free games that they got. Not the f2p games.

These type of stuff supports devs, and also gives 30% cut to MS.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Let me ask you these simple questions.

1) Have you bought any dlc?

2) have you spent money on adds on, like mini content, characters, maps and cars.

3) Have you spent any money on mtx? Like ingame items.

If you did, then you are on of the targets of gamepass.

These form of spending brings money. People typically spend alot of money on dlc, on free games that they got. Not the f2p games.

These type of stuff supports devs, and also gives 30% cut to MS.
Nah I haven't, there is so much to play on GamePass, just end up playing the base game and move on.

Kagey K

Banned
Lol. Of couse Sony will have a huge YoY games and Service revenue drop. Most likely low double digit %

People really underestimate the amount of demand those first COVID lockdowns put in the industry and how much software they sold to occupy people stuck at home.

Im expecting to see Nintendo with a drop too with no Animal Crossing like release this year.

Last year (this quarter especially) was an anomaly for the industry.

kingfey

Banned
Nah I haven't, there is so much to play on GamePass, just end up playing the base game and move on.
So you are one of the rare people. I guess your role is just paying for the sub.

Most people either buy those, or straight up buy games.

I spent almost 40$ for fut points. on fifa, by playing the gamepass one.

These days I have been sick due to ear pain. so I couldn't play any games aside of fifa. I need to check what it on the service again.

So you are one of the rare people. I guess your role is just paying for the sub.

Most people either buy those, or straight up buy games.

I spent almost 40$ for fut points. on fifa, by playing the gamepass one.

These days I have been sick due to ear pain. so I couldn't play any games aside of fifa. I need to check what it on the service again.
I think you overestimate how many people buy games, DLC or MTX for games on Gamepass. I don’t think it’s that rare. I’ve got 3 years stacked and I’ve never bought any DLC, MTX or anything. In fact, stacking 3 years of gold was so cheap that I’ve already saved more than the cost in games I didn’t need to buy - and more are coming this year and next.

I’m very sceptical of the claim that it doesn’t cannibalise revenue outside of Gamepass, to some degree at least.

Sounds like a fair assessment mate.

kingfey

Banned
I think you overestimate how many people buy games, DLC or MTX for games on Gamepass. I don’t think it’s that rare. I’ve got 3 years stacked and I’ve never bought any DLC, MTX or anything. In fact, stacking 3 years of gold was so cheap that I’ve already saved more than the cost in games I didn’t need to buy - and more are coming this year and next.

I’m very sceptical of the claim that it doesn’t cannibalise revenue outside of Gamepass, to some degree at least.
You paid 180$ up-front. In a sense, you are paying 60$ a year to use gamepass.

Genx3

Xbox Series consoles are the fastest selling Xbox consoles ever.

So the trolls err people that were previously saying that the Series consoles were selling worse than 360 and Xbox Ones were completely and totally incorrect as usual.

All this despite the fact MS hasn't been able to allocate enough hardware to keep up with demand and MS has been sending half their Series X consoles to server centers. Daaamn impressive.

Three

Xbox content and services revenue decreased $128 million or 4% driven by a decline in third-party titles on a strong prior year comparable that benefitted from stay-at-home scenarios, offset in part by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions and first-party titles.
My conclusion is that they are selling their most expensive console for a longer period and have revenue growth yoy. The issue either seems to be that it's just xbox one users upgrading or that whatever hit there is to 3rd party content (because of gamepass or just general decrease?) is not enough to offset market share growth.

Those figures were not official and the Verge article is the place I got the information on them not releasing figures for 2 quarters. Free trials and promotions only go so far, I don't see them ever breaking through 30 million... not organically anyway.

Of course GP cannibalizes game sales, I always thought that was obvious... It's games like Scarlet Nexus that will suffer most.
Ever breaking 30 million...what is an organic way to break 30 million lol. it'll be with great promotion and games. They'll 100% break it by years end. It's not even a question.

I think you are missing a key factor here. MS launched in more countries this time around then they ever were in before. This is also a factor in how well they are doing.

Good catch, I did forget about that. They launched in more territories this time even compared to Sony. However, that's also partly because Microsoft is making a first genuine push in those territories this gen, whereas they basically abandoned them last gen through virtue of not really trying, so they could focus primarily on US & UK (and later still, really just the US) as XBO's trajectory became clear.

I think it's still fair to say Xbox as a brand has nowhere near the presence of PlayStation in many of those foreign markets...at least not yet. And things like Xcloud are meant to play into an effort to hopefully change such.

Except we have, y'know, actual anecdotal accounts from multiple actual developers and publishers which have claimed the opposite. We also have actual evidence from several games, from Sea of Thieves to Forza Horizon 4 to MLB The Show '21 that have shown and continue to show strong sales in spite of being available on GamePass as well.

At this point the actual factual proof of GP negatively affecting game sales is the outlier and boils to mainly one game: Gears 5. Which, I would venture, given it's such an outlier, would be a bigger sign of possible franchise fatigue (maybe through perceived lack of shaking up the formula) than anything to do with GamePass itself.

Last edited:

Yeah I am expecting all three to have slight drops in revenue; 2020 may've been a record-breaking year for gaming but it was a saggy-ass-tier year for the real world due to COVID.

Things are slowing getting back to normal and people are eager to venture out of the house again, take vacations with friends and family, etc. The only one who might not see a drop (or if they do, a smaller-than-4% drop) in revenue is probably Nintendo, because you can still take your Switch with you to play with friends in public venue spaces, etc.

Something Microsoft and Sony's systems don't really enjoy the privilege of having.

Hezekiah

Banned
The rate of growth has been pretty steady. it was 12 million in April last year. Then 18 million in January. Then 23 million in April.

With MS first party finally firing on all cylinders with flight sim, Ascent, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite all coming out within the next few months, 30 million is a very real possibility.
The last official figure was 18m though. The 23m was a prediction from Jez Corden.

Until all subscribers are paying the full price it doesn't mean much anyway because they don't know how many gamers will remain subscribed or will unsubscribe once their deal runs out.

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member

hv8s15swcoi31.jpg

wwlhSWk.png

jerk off tv land GIF by #Impastor

Organic would be selling every subscription at the normal price, whether that is 10 or 15 dollars per month.
That would signal sustainable customer acquisition.
Why do you feel the need to shit up every Xbox thread. I get you like your PlayStation but not everything has to be console wars. There’s really nothing bad in those headlines. Also Microsoft and Sony doing well is good for gamers.

It's disappointing that Microsoft still doesn't reveal the number of consoles or games sold.
Why you care?. MS CEO is happy, so why would they bother giving ammo to console fanboys who will immediately start comparing with PS5.

Series consoles are doing better than Xbox one and 360 in similar time frame but behind PS4 and PS5 overall sales. We don't need to see numbers to know. MS not sharing numbers is a good PR move coz moment they show numbers and its below PS5 then it will look bad.

Why do you feel the need to shit up every Xbox thread. I get you like your PlayStation but not everything has to be console wars. There’s really nothing bad in those headlines. Also Microsoft and Sony doing well is good for gamers.
Bryan tries to show he unbiased netural gamer but he cant hide his true identity for too long lol.

Bryank75

Banned

My intention isn't to 'shit it up' , everyone here knows and understands I have my bias and that I will be super critical and read into things like the absence of GP numbers. You can take my posts as insight from a perspective different to your own or however else you want to view them.

I already posted that the hardware numbers are great and I love seeing strong hardware, cause game streaming sucks.
I also never mentioned PlayStation in any previous post in this thread from what I remember.
Don't take it so personal...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"Xbox content and services revenue decreased $128 million or 4% driven by a decline in third-party titles on a strong prior year comparable that benefitted from stay-at-home scenarios, offset in part by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions and first-party titles."

Most important piece for gamepass. This is for those who are concerned for gamepass profit.
This is revenue, not profit. Loss of revenue from one source (TP and MTX) is being set off by revenue from another source (GP).

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

hv8s15swcoi31.jpg

wwlhSWk.png

absolute thicc imo

Top Bottom