• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY24 Q2 gaming revenue up 49% year-over-year, driven by impact of Activision Blizzard acquisition

Darsxx82

If its better than expected then why are they having to make substantial cuts to staff?

Quite the quandary.

LOL. Typical of you, not reading what is said and spinning what you don't like to read.

I was talking about the hardware. MS expected a decline for this quarter and there has still been growth despite the large discounts.
I have faith that you will understand it 😉

Then, about the layoffs?? I have already given my opinion. It seems like a disgusting move and difficult to justify by a 3T company. That said, this is capitalism and the industry is seeing an extreme layoff process seeking to maintain profits or avoid losses. MS just added 17,000 new employees to its gaming business.... Disgusting mainly because MS's promise and expectations towards ABK employees were different but that is the reality. You have Sony itself in the leaked docs imposing layoffs or cuts to its Studios and even a willingness to close some despite record income....

Now if you want we talk about numbers and not about how friend or enemy video game companies are for us....😉

Sanepar

Xbox Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $4.76 Billion
Activision Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $2.33 Billion
Combined Revenue (Quarter Ending Dec 31st 2022) - $7.09 Billion

So revenue was essentially flat compared to last year if you are combining MS+ACTI 2022 Vs 2023. There was not growth.
But they always try to show a pretty pic.

GHG

LOL. Typical of you, not reading what is said and spinning what you don't like to read.

I was talking about the hardware. MS expected a decline for this quarter and there has still been growth despite the large discounts.
I have faith that you will understand it 😉

Then, about the layoffs?? I have already given my opinion. It seems like a disgusting move and difficult to justify by a 3T company. That said, this is capitalism and the industry is seeing an extreme layoff process seeking to maintain profits or avoid losses. MS just added 17,000 new employees to its gaming business.... Disgusting mainly because MS's promise and expectations towards ABK employees were different but that is the reality. You have Sony itself in the leaked docs imposing layoffs or cuts to its Studios and even a willingness to close some despite record income....

Now if you want we talk about numbers and not about how friend or enemy video game companies are for us....😉

I literally responded to what you said, I'll leave the spinning to you (clearly).

twilo99

All I want to know is how much cash they have on hand post-acquisition.

• Microsoft cash on hand for the quarter ending September 30, 2023 was $143.951B, a 34.21% increase year-over-year.

you get a rough number by subtracting ~80 big ones

I guess practically what they spent on ABK was roughly their profit from one fiscal year.

Last edited:

wolffy66

These companies layoff who they "can" not who they "have" to. Like it or not, that's why they're profitable and why your 401k demands it.

Topher

Gold Member
All I want to know is how much cash they have on hand post-acquisition.

• Microsoft cash on hand for the quarter ending September 30, 2023 was $143.951B, a 34.21% increase year-over-year.
So I guess you get a rough number by subtracting ~80 big ones
HsntyOO.png

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella on gaming in Q2, 2024: "This quarter we set all-time records for monthly active users of Xbox, PC, as well as mobile where we now have 200 million monthly active users, inclusive of Activision Blizzard King. With cloud gaming we continue to innovate to offer players more ways to experience the games they love... hours streamed increased 44 percent year over year."

Last edited:

DrFigs

consoles were up 3%, which is interesting. assuming it's by revenue here right? not that this is great, but it didn't decline despite massive cuts to prices?

Last edited:

twilo99

81 billion in liquidity and they're out there laying people off.

I'm sure you understand that in order to get to a point where you have 81 billion dollars to play with is not by running a charity?

Now, we can argue about the "morals" of all this and I'm sure we would ultimately agree that this sort of thing is excessive, but then we would have to tackle how capitalism works, and why corporations act in this manner to begin with, which essentially mimics a greedy human being.

Last edited:

Elios83

In the conference call they're saying that console market was weaker than expected.
The ambition is to reach more gamers on more platforms and they need to implement disciplined cost control (about layoffs).

Baki

I’ll bring up the same thing I always bring up when Microsoft shares their revenue:

How much is actual profit?

$8 billion in gaming revenue don’t mean Jack if there is $9 billion in expenses.

Still no me mention of Gamepass subscribers.
I think -$690M for the segment due to acquisition related expenses. While the segment (including Surface) would've posted $400M+ profit. Likely most of that profit would be from ABK.

Top Bottom