• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: Playstation revenue is 44% higher than Xbox and ABK combined | 104% higher without ABK included.

SHA

I admit these people have no fucking clue about what the media and the internet thinks about other consoles, the majority just operate with fixed mindset, with deep respect to all opinions it's the truth, even if it makes sense, these opinions 99 percent of the times won't reach the masses, it is what it is.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
0d6rszL.jpeg

lPFZZUj.jpeg
damn colt you let yourself go.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not an MBA or anything... but if one company is getting soundly beaten in revenue and has been spending like crazy in acquisitions or whatever else, seems like the profit side of the picture will necessarily be worse.

Not how that works. Acquisition cost for ABK isn’t added as a negative in the balance sheets. You’re converting cash on hand to an asset worth $70bn.
The loss is put on the books if the acquired asset loses a ton of value like what happened with Nokia.

Revenue difference seems easily explained by the significantly higher console sales (plus higher average selling price) and more first party software sales. But consoles hardware aren’t exactly a high margin product.

Between that, and the fact that Activision has consistently been very profitable, there’s no way to determine profitability from just comparing revenue figures.

So? I mean if you sell more consoles (with less discounts) and have a bigger user base your revenue will be bigger 🤷‍♂️ What is more fascinating that they are not making more profit since PS4 despite PS+ price increase, console price increase and game price increase.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Am I missing something? Pardon my stupidity but I don’t get the point

I believe the tweet is highlighting that the issues Microsoft are facing are also-sort-of-kinda being faced by Sony, to a much lesser degree. In terms of a platform holder position, we're seeing a ceiling of somewhere around 150 hardware units per console per generation. So as both a platform holder and a publicly traded company, Sony needs to find a way to increase their profits within that 150m install base. Services like PS Now were terrific in that regard, but it appears they've plateaued. GaaS was Ryan's next big play, because GaaS allows for infinite spending, but it looks like that's turning out to be much harder than originally thought. So, if Sony can't sell more games and services on its 150m install base, it can start selling its games and services on other hardware to increase profits. Microsoft started doing this as way to sell more games than their hardware allowed, and it seems to have worked well. Sony dipped their toes into the PC market, but failed to set the world on fire as the PC space doesn't take kindly to poorly made ports released at full price years late. So, Sony are now moving to more aggressively target PC, likely meaning proper multiplatform development for day 1 PC release, as a means to increase their profits. Microsoft are potentially expanding to even start selling older titles on competing hardware, like Sony's PlayStation, because they have the same problem: they can't increase profits on their own hardware - however, it's worth noting that Microsoft isn't hitting the 150m ceiling, they're just failing to sell their hardware in general, giving them fewer customers to sell to.

Last edited:

RickMasters

cool story….. now how much of that 💰💰💰does any of us get ? If the answer is zero…. That is equal to the sum of the amount we should care.

Think About It GIF by Identity

But for the sake of console warring shits and giggles ….. fuck it. I’m effected and somehow offended by this…. Let’s have a console fight. C’mon let’s rumble then! I knew we couldn’t have peace for more day till tomorrow……

jared leto fight GIF

Mr Moose

cool story….. now how much of that 💰💰💰does any of us get ? If the answer is zero…. That is equal to the sum of the amount we should care.

Think About It GIF by Identity

But for the sake of console warring shits and giggles ….. fuck it. I’m effected and somehow offended by this…. Let’s have a console fight. C’mon let’s rumble then! I knew we couldn’t have peace for more day till tomorrow……

jared leto fight GIF
tenor.gif

Raonak

Banned
The scary thing is that almost none of sony's firstparty games have microtransactions.

If they really wanted, they could make so much bank.

Probably didn't feel the need to. They were focusing more on growth.

I mean, they're still releasing big expansions like the GOW: valhalla, TLOU2 rougelike mode, and Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer for completely free. Which is kinda wild in this era.
Yeah but isn't thier problem this generation too much of a focus on live GaaS titles that simply haven't come to fruition? Just look at the mess they put Naughty Dog in, not one peak at a new title because of a massive fuck up with expanding the Factions multiplayer.

Mr Moose

Yeah but isn't thier problem this generation too much of a focus on live GaaS titles that simply haven't come to fruition? Just look at the mess they put Naughty Dog in, not one peak at a new title because of a massive fuck up with expanding the Factions multiplayer.
Fucking Bungie and their sabotage.
I don't even like 3rd person PvP so I am fine with it though.

Fucking Bungie and their sabotage.
I don't even like 3rd person PvP so I am fine with it though.
Honestly you have in Naughty Dog a top 3 developer in the world and it's really difficult to understand why since the incredible TLOU2 they've only released remakes/remasters, or we've not had a glimpse of what they're cooking yet 🫤

Stuart360

Dont really get some of the posts in here. I mean take off ABK and Sony's revenue is double, but there more than twice the PS5's over Sreries consoles in the wild, so isnt this what it should be?.
I mean you cant even use 'yeah but Xbox also has PC too' because i'm pretty sure Playstation has released more games on PC than Xbox the last few months.

Dont really get some of the posts in here. I mean take off ABK and Sony's revenue is double, but there more than twice the PS5's over Sreries consoles in the wild, so isnt this what it should be?.
I mean you cant even use 'yeah but Xbox also has PC too' because i'm pretty sure Playstation has released more games on PC than Xbox the last few months.
you are forgetting mobile and all the samsung TVs

Mr.Phoenix

Xbox are announcing plans to release games on other consoles and they already are releasing games day one PC.

I may of misread his tweet but where is the justification if Sony are not following suit in terms of releasing their games on other consoles? Last time I checked consoles are not PCs.
There isnt any. He's a shill trying to push a false narrative. Likening Sony releasing games on PC (which both they are MS have been doing for years), like it's the same thing with Xbox releasing games on PlayStation.

If tomorrow goes like I think it will, you will start to see all kinds of spin.

The scary thing is that almost none of sony's firstparty games have microtransactions.

If they really wanted, they could make so much bank.
The benefits of sony's great dominance is that they can make billions from games like Genshin. Sony should be glad their AAA games are profitable in the first place.

Hoppa

Probably didn't feel the need to. They were focusing more on growth.

I mean, they're still releasing big expansions like the GOW: valhalla, TLOU2 rougelike mode, and Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer for completely free. Which is kinda wild in this era.
It’s for sure what they were intending for with the random push for live service games. Would be ugly to see how Helldivers does with MT sales and how that might even influence their first party singleplayer games

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So? I mean if you sell more consoles (with less discounts) and have a bigger user base your revenue will be bigger 🤷‍♂️ What is more fascinating that they are not making more profit since PS4 despite PS+ price increase, console price increase and game price increase.

Inflation has been a world wide thing since the year 2021. And interest rates have gone up in America. That eats into profits.

Correct. But there have been posters on GAF and MANY video game media people that said Microsoft isn't about the console game anymore and it's about engagement and being everywhere. And that GamePass is the solution and that's why they have been playing a different game.

So we are still waiting to see why that different game isn't generating revenue.

How come this thread is only two pages? :goog_tongue:

I think you know why...... :)

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think you know why...... :)
Oh, but of course! I just came here to see if the daily dose of PlayStation is failing because...

"the stock market dropped by 10B"
"they have no 1st Party games"
"they need to follow Microsoft's lead and port their shit"

...was present. Guess not. :p

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

That's... hilarious.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Xbox is really lost in their mind, they had everything to succeed during Xbox 360 era... then Xbox TV Kinect Sport One happened.
point love GIF by andregola

Last edited:
Not surprising at all. Comes with selling about twice or in some areas even more consoles. Unless the average Xbox gamer would be vastly different than the PS gamer in their purchasing habits. In so far GP might have not really ruined the perceived value of games yet. Or Sony doing Plus too, might have made the same on their side.
I guess expanding or not removing your games from the market leader makes sense for current revenue and profits and also prepares to make more games exclusives again with next gen. ie Remember the good game you played on PS last gen? this is now only on XBoxNext. Minus whatever was agreed in the ABK acquisition.

Top Bottom