• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "to discuss the recently revealed technical specifications and what they mean for gamers." tomorrow on Inside Xbox

I dont wish ill on PS5 itself. PS1 and PS2 will always have a special place in my heart. Fanboys will be fanboys, on all sides, but they really are taking it to the extreme. I dont remember 360 fans being this bad last gen, i honestly dont. They have shat on Xbox the whole gen, and are still doing it. Why they cant just say 'alright fair enough, we did it this gen, and Xbox has the power next gen, but its the games that count' etc. But they are hurting now, and have been for a couple of weeks. Thats why they are desperately clinging onto every little bit of tidbits, whether thats tweets, youtubers, fake devs, whatever.
I get the sense nothing will change until we get the DF Face Offs at launch, and thats a long way off unfortunately.
The funny thing is launch window games are probably going to have a larger performance divide between these two systems than anything which will come later because basically all multiplatform titles will be built with cross-generation ethos in mind.

The point is as Richard Leadbetter said developers early on will undoubtedly tap into the 3.8Ghz CPU frequency without SMT because hyperthreading won't be a large implication for earlier engine work. It's going to be a rough time for these people.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I dont wish ill on PS5 itself. PS1 and PS2 will always have a special place in my heart. Fanboys will be fanboys, on all sides, but they really are taking it to the extreme. I dont remember 360 fans being this bad last gen, i honestly dont. They have shat on Xbox the whole gen, and are still doing it. Why they cant just say 'alright fair enough, we did it this gen, and Xbox has the power next gen, but its the games that count' etc. But they are hurting now, and have been for a couple of weeks. Thats why they are desperately clinging onto every little bit of tidbits, whether thats tweets, youtubers, fake devs, whatever.
I get the sense nothing will change until we get the DF Face Offs at launch, and thats a long way off unfortunately.

Are you kidding? That would only be MORE fuel. Have you not seen the scathing rants against DF, how they're nothing but Xbox fanboys, Xbox shills, paid by Microsoft? Have you not heard how in the Next Gen Spec thread they drove D dark10x of DF away from this site forever with a vile rant against him and DF?

Stuart360

The funny thing is launch window games are probably going to have a larger performance divide between these two systems than anything which will come later because basically all multiplatform titles will be built with cross-generation ethos in mind.

The point is as Richard Leadbetter said developers early on will undoubtedly tap into the 3.8Ghz CPU frequency without SMT because hyperthreading won't be a large implication for earlier engine work. It's going to be a rough time for these people.
With multiplatform games, i wouldnt be surprised if devs target 4 cores/ 8 threads for half the gen, if not most. They are not going to want to miss out on the PC market, where the majority still own 4 core or 4core/8 threaded cpu's.

Stuart360

Are you kidding? That would only be MORE fuel. Have you not seen the scathing rants against DF, how they're nothing but Xbox fanboys, Xbox shills, paid by Microsoft? Have you not heard how in the Next Gen Spec thread they drove D dark10x of DF away from this site forever with a vile rant against him and DF?
Oh i know all that, but they dont usually attack the actual face off results, they cant really. And if the difference is what i'm expecting, even sony fan favorites like VGTech and NXGamer wont be able to avoid face off results.

SmokSmog

actually, in that type of scenario is the lower clocks girl who get trashed out of the window, just saying...
aa1703289ed7deb58288a75b9f9f2268d602fd41903e44c9335c46563f7c73aa.jpg

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Yeah, I would love an update on UI. Honestly though, I'm not getting excited until they sort out this issue with the lack of compelling exclusives. Revive Fable, team up with Team Ninja and make an exclusive Ninja Gaiden, Do a complete rework of gears 1 with stupid amounts of physics and destruction. This is what I want. We got 12tf, now I want to see what that 12tf can do.
You may as well move over to PS5 Broski. You probably arent getting any of that aside from Fable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yea man. I'm unnerved by the PS fans on these boards (not surprised). It's gotten to the point now where I wish misfortune for the damn console just because of the fans. That's ridiculous!

Man you are a hater :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Isn't your 40 TF PC good enough?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Nothing MS says will ever penetrate or make an impression on the hardcore Sony extremists. People who take anything Cerny says as coming from God, who believe every rumor, tweet or fake insider that says something positive about PS5 or negative about XsX and they willfully disregard anything that doesn't align with their preconceived narrative.

MS isn't doing this Inside Xbox talk for the Sony extremists. Xbox isn't doing it for damage control they have nothing they need to damage control. They won the power crown and have the best hardware - full stop.

They're doing it for US, the Xbox fans. They're doing it for people who intend to buy both consoles and who are neutral. They're doing it for the casuals who couldn't care less nor are even aware of the Great Console War of 2020. Finally they're doing it for the multitude of rational PlayStation gamers (and we have some of those people in this very thread) in an effort to entice them to at least consider the XsX next gen.
Well said.

Kagey K

Banned
You're being a slimysnake by pretending your trolling is sarcasm lol.

Ok, so you're saying Xbox Series X is superior, but developers just choose to love PS5 because of loyalty, and ironically that does make sense. PS5 will be developers' bread and butter, so why bad mouth it after placing their bet on it?

Developers remain loyal to PS5 because they want to make money, but Xbox Series X is more powerful and capable, makes sense 🤷‍♂️

Developers made money hand over fist on the 360, yet you are here basically saying go Sony or go broke. 🤷‍♂️

Seems a bit presumptive.

Is that so? Why does he have to bring in the PS5 and pound it into the ground?

Apparently, that makes him feel better.
What is it to you? Do you have some kind of emotional attachment to a corporation to the point that if anybody says something negative towards it, your jimmies get all bunched up?

LMJ

People one person made a console war type post in the last two pages...

ONE!

a known troll too (still love you MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima )

Sony and Sony fanboys are living rent free in most of your minds right now, if you're so confident on the power of the system (you should be, numbers dont lie) than why the paranoia?

As for me, what I'm hoping for is not just Tech specs in the upcoming presentation, but also how it's going to transform games, I wanna know how that Ryzen 2 CPU is going to push physics, AI forward

I wanna know how that extra power of the 12 terraflops is ultimately going to give me the best possible experience, huge battles, large scale worlds that are highly detailed hopefully destructive environments akin to the initial CD3 vision...

Basically, we already know the power is there I wanna know how this is gonna move gaming forward how the Microsoft exclusives from these amazing studios are going to truly wow me outside of visuals alone.

Oh and I agree with CatLady CatLady some video game presentation never hurts lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

ONE!

Sony and Sony fanboys are living rent free in most of your minds right now, if you're so confident on the power of the system (you should be, numbers dont lie) than why the paranoia?

As for me, what I'm hoping for is not just Tech specs in the upcoming presentation, but also how it's going to transform games, I wanna know how that Ryzen 2 CPU is going to push physics, AI forward

I wanna know how that extra power of the 12 terraflops is ultimately going to give me the best possible experience, huge battles, large scale worlds that are highly detailed hopefully destructive environments akin to the initial CD3 vision...

Basically, we already know the power is there I wanna know how this is gonna move gaming forward how the Microsoft exclusives from these amazing studios are going to truly wow me outside of visuals alone.

Oh and I agree with CatLady CatLady some video game presentation never hurts lol
You are asking too much out of an Inside Xbox episode, so I’m sure you will be here bashing them for not giving you what you want tomorrow night.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This should be interesting, and will likely better explain some of the strengths/optimizations of the series x.

However, the way a large portion of this forum is so pro sony they will ignore it all and say the ps5 is better no matter what anyhow, it's been very revealing.

LMJ

You are asking too much out of an Inside Xbox episode, so I’m sure you will be here bashing them for not giving you what you want tomorrow night.

Yeah, seems you ignored more than one part of my post Kagey...

I said HOPE as in that's what I would like to see, if MS doesn't deliver on my "hopes" than the most I could be upset with them for is thier lack of psycic ability ;) I'm sure the show will be fine as thier marketing thus far has been on point!

As for me "bashing them", see that PARANOIA part in the beginning of my post :p

Ashoca

Banned

ONE!

It will take years before games on any nextgen console will take advantage of those. However, MS already showed a few demos:

Like, how BC enhanced titles could look like 120fps@4K or full ray tracing could look like:

but true nextgen games? Will take years to be developed. Its like that with any new gen.

LMJ

Ashoca Ashoca , hey I can dream, for the first time in ten years we're getting beefy GPU and CPUs in these machines...

I'm hoping for a jaw dropping mo.ent on this Box the same I got with my 360 when I first saw Dead Rising, so many enemies on screen, so much interaction...

Gears was eye melting at the time, but the depth of play on DR was something else...

I understand it may take awhile, but if they seeing as they've shown off the raytracing, BC, and Reflecting demo before this, well here's hoping :D

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Brute force" ;)
Yeah this is probably the biggest bullshit so far, because MS shown tons of customisation and well, Sony using AMD SmartShift "so original so revolutionary, praise the genius Cerny".... Like I think that Sony that Jim Ryan is maybe not that stupid after all, because it seems like his PR plan with loyal fanboys doing all the work for them is going to paid of handsomely.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
"Brute force" ;)

That's a beauty, really. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing BC. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing clock speeds. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing SSD speeds. While Microsoft implements stuff like VRS and machine learning to actually make those 12 TF punch weigh above their weight. If Microsoft actually uses those 12 TF at 1080p and just uses a comparable solution to DLSS to upscale to 4K, Sony is dead. 12 TF @ 1080p would be the equivalent of 36 TF @ 1800p. Add VRS to the mix and you are looking at 40 TF compared to Sony's 10.2. If Sony doesn't have machine learning cores or VRS in hardware, they can say goodbye to this generation. And until now their only idea of machine learning was that you can send them a picture of your ear and they will use machine learning to calculate the best audio settings. They didn't talk about VRS at all, not even at GDC when that is one essential feature for devs because of the easy 10 to 15 % boost in performance.

martino

That's a beauty, really. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing BC. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing clock speeds. PS5 is the one that is brute forcing SSD speeds. While Microsoft implements stuff like VRS and machine learning to actually make those 12 TF punch weigh above their weight. If Microsoft actually uses those 12 TF at 1080p and just uses a comparable solution to DLSS to upscale to 4K, Sony is dead. 12 TF @ 1080p would be the equivalent of 36 TF @ 1800p. Add VRS to the mix and you are looking at 40 TF compared to Sony's 10.2. If Sony doesn't have machine learning cores or VRS in hardware, they can say goodbye to this generation. And until now their only idea of machine learning was that you can send them a picture of your ear and they will use machine learning to calculate the best audio settings. They didn't talk about VRS at all, not even at GDC when that is one essential feature for devs because of the easy 10 to 15 % boost in performance.

but they have since 90% of the two are same features with propaganda names.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Probably because they call VRS, Mesh Shader in different was (over at Sony)... Their messaging is confusing, but why bother if you have Jason Schreier on the front lines.
If I recall the briefs, the PS5 has the Geometery Engine to replicate the functionality that Mesh Shaders bring to the table. Of course, if the GPU has the same functionality as the XSX, they wouldn’t need bespoke hardware to replicate it. Take from that what you will.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If I recall the briefs, the PS5 has the Geometery Engine to replicate the functionality that Mesh Shaders bring to the table. Of course, if the GPU has the same functionality as the XSX, they wouldn’t need bespoke hardware to replicate it. Take from that what you will.
Well, I said, that they are calling those technologies in a differet way, so I am not saying it's absent, but it does not use industry standard names for it. That was my thought. and for people who are not familiar about the architecture, they can easily got misinformed about this topic.

TLZ

Banned
IMO XSX will look great next to the HDTV, although it would be nice if MS would add something in the front (like green X sign on xbox classic) because current design looks too simple.

69361_3_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg

69361_5_xbox-series-look-living-room_full.jpg
It doesn't look good at all like that. Aesthetically it looks too fat compared to the slim TV.

I think it'll look much better placed on the floor.

magnumpy

seems like a direct response to mark cerney and his weak playstation technical dive :eek:

I actually think that was interesting but what was the deal with that fake audience?? lame

Yea man. I'm unnerved by the PS fans on these boards (not surprised). It's gotten to the point now where I wish misfortune for the damn console just because of the fans. That's ridiculous!
Same boat here. I don't feel as though the Xbox fans around here are as abrasive as the Sony fans. Which is most likely due to the lack of TFLOPS and the need to compensate for that issue.

Last edited:

rnlval

NVIDIA RTX has VRS feature before AMD. Does your head is limited to XBvsPS arguments?

VRS is needed with heavy RT workloads.

Max_Po

Banned
It will take years before games on any nextgen console will take advantage of those. However, MS already showed a few demos:

Like, how BC enhanced titles could look like 120fps@4K or full ray tracing could look like:

but true nextgen games? Will take years to be developed. Its like that with any new gen.

I really how Xbox fan boys make up shit and post as FACTS here. .... There is not a single fucking game that MS has enhanced to the point that it doubles or quadruples frame rate. There are 360 and Original titles that do upscale, add AF but the frame rate is coded in. They all run at original Frame rate. Some games go to locked 30 fps due to better hardware ... These games were originally targeting 30 fps. Then there are developers who went back and changed the code in games like Witcher to allow "60 fps" and lower resolution (Lower resolution ... 1080p 60 fps... not 524p or stone age resolution like switch... lol)

Point is, MS is not touching any developers' code..... 120 fps and 4K .... I doubt anything will go from 30 to 120 fps.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I really how Xbox fan boys make up shit and post as FACTS here. .... There is not a single fucking game that MS has enhanced to the point that it doubles or quadruples frame rate. There are 360 and Original titles that do upscale, add AF but the frame rate is coded in. They all run at original Frame rate. Some games go to locked 30 fps due to better hardware ... These games were originally targeting 30 fps. Then there are developers who went back and changed the code in games like Witcher to allow "60 fps" and lower resolution (Lower resolution ... 1080p 60 fps... not 524p or stone age resolution like switch... lol)

Point is, MS is not touching any developers' code..... 120 fps and 4K .... I doubt anything will go from 30 to 120 fps.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter had a 30fps cap originally and during BC on Xbox one X it's running at 60fps barring a few hiccups here and there.

There are actually quite a few BC games that get improvements in frame rate. BioShock is another, originally locked to 30fps but on X you can disengage sync and run it 60fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom