• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "to discuss the recently revealed technical specifications and what they mean for gamers." tomorrow on Inside Xbox

Sota4077

We already know the system is bad ass. Just show some software, or announce some partnerships. They need to get me excited for this system. C'mon MS! Do eeeeeeet!!!

Say what you want, but in my opinion Microsoft are doing a pretty masterful job and building up hype of the system. I also agree though that they are gonna have to start showing some games soon or that hype is going to just turn into irritation at the lack of progress in terms of new information. I wanna see maybe the UI for the Xbox Series X if it is going to be different. Or talk about the features of the OS moving forward that gamers will use.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Ali has been sent to stand in the corner and face the wall by his boss at Crytek.
Yep. I'm sure Satya made Phil do the same after reading that article and realizing that the billions of dollars he gave to Phil couldn't even get devs to prefer his console.

As the age old saying goes, you can buy tflops, but you can't buy love with money.

note to mods: this is sarcasm btw used to point out how absurd that post I'm quoting truly is.

Last edited:

Eliciel

There has never been so many explanations and preview offers to a console that is not even there in the history of gaming. So much transparency and in-depth.
If I go to Five Guys I just want to Eat a Burger or a Hot Dog and Drink a Milkshake...to be honest I do not need to get explanation on where the peanut butter came from or how the potato was cooked...
How about you just spill the beans on price and release window and let me understand your release games and based on that I decide whether I call it a day and continue playing games?

thanks.

Yep. I'm sure Satya made Phil do the same after reading that article and realizing that the billions of dollars he gave to Phil couldn't even get devs to prefer his console.

As the age old saying goes, you can buy tflops, but you can't buy love with money.

note to mods: this is sarcasm btw used to point out how absurd that post I'm quoting truly is.
Dont believe him mods. He meant that 100%. In no way was that sarcasm.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
at this point, i will be happy even with 5 min of real gameplay.

halo with his massive battles with a lot of shit on screen is really gonna beneficiate from the most powerfull cpus.

I'm with you. Let's see some actual gameplay!

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Hellblade either, maybe still too early for actual gameplay but another music video would be great. :messenger_winking:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm glad they were kind enough to set expectations properly by letting everyone know what isn't going to be shown.

You know...as opposed to hyping up the first information you've publicly revealed about your highly anticipated next-gen console in a vague manner, leaving people to believe it is your actual reveal, and then showing an hour-long talk that only software engineers would properly understand.

GymWolf

I'm with you. Let's see some actual gameplay!

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Hellblade either, maybe still too early for actual gameplay but another music video would be great. :messenger_winking:
not really hyped for H2, for me the first game was mediocre to acceptable except for the graphic, so without a long convincing gameplay i can't get excited for that game.

it's like teasing the order 2 and expecting people to get an erection just for the graphics.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

You're being a slimysnake by pretending your trolling is sarcasm lol.

Ok, so you're saying Xbox Series X is superior, but developers just choose to love PS5 because of loyalty, and ironically that does make sense. PS5 will be developers' bread and butter, so why bad mouth it after placing their bet on it?

Developers remain loyal to PS5 because they want to make money, but Xbox Series X is more powerful and capable. 🤷‍♂️

Genx3

Hi, I really respect your opinion, but what is wrong with your eyes? :D

I really like the elegant and plain design :)

I was obviously Joking, it's absolutely fine if you don't like the design. Have a great day :)

It really has a simple exterior but MS realizes the people buying XSX's are likely putting them in the living room next to their 4K TV's so the form factor they went for should fit in nicely there. MS went for an inconspicuous look.

MS has a good opportunity here to release Special Edition consoles every 4 months in limited quantities. I think it would be awesome if every 4 months or so they released 500 Special edition consoles into the market. This way you can give something to people that find the simplistic design boring.

GymWolf

It really has a simple exterior but MS realizes the people buying XSX's are likely putting them in the living room next to their 4K TV's so the form factor they went for should fit in nicely there. MS went for an inconspicuous look.

MS has a good opportunity here to release Special Edition consoles every 4 months in limited quantities. I think it would be awesome if every 4 months or so they released 500 Special edition consoles into the market. This way you can give something to people that find the simplistic design boring.
i mean, if you play in your kitchen the sex make a nice "pendant" with the fridge.

Entroyp

Hopefully they address the RAM issue. Too many misinformed people saying that the lower speed RAM will dictate if the fast RAM can keep at 560GB/s.
MS have been pretty good at messaging so I would expect them to cut short alot of the BS thats been floating around.

I don’t think it’s bullshit, that’s how it works in nvidia’s cards. MS has not communicated at a technical level how the XsX’s RAM setup differs from that approach. Hopefully they do so tomorrow because that would mean they did some neat stuff with the memory controller.

Last edited:

Kagero

Say what you want, but in my opinion Microsoft are doing a pretty masterful job and building up hype of the system. I also agree though that they are gonna have to start showing some games soon or that hype is going to just turn into irritation at the lack of progress in terms of new information. I wanna see maybe the UI for the Xbox Series X if it is going to be different. Or talk about the features of the OS moving forward that gamers will use.
Yeah, I would love an update on UI. Honestly though, I'm not getting excited until they sort out this issue with the lack of compelling exclusives. Revive Fable, team up with Team Ninja and make an exclusive Ninja Gaiden, Do a complete rework of gears 1 with stupid amounts of physics and destruction. This is what I want. We got 12tf, now I want to see what that 12tf can do.

Genx3

I don’t think it’s bullshit, that’s how it works in nvidia’s cards. MS has not communicated at a technical level how the XsX’s RAM setup differs from that approach. Hopefully they do so tomorrow because that would mean they did some neat stuff with the memory controller.

Have you seen the Video posted using glasses and straws to explain how the Ram in XSX works?

Last edited:
lol i was just thinking that. All this 'custom hardware' and techniques PS5 has compared to XSX, well that will probably be out of the window tomorrow.
To be fair, Microsoft should of done this when they revealed their specs, instead of a tweet. It would of stopped the disingenous bullshit.
I'm sure they were not expecting the hyperbole spinning. Lol facts are facts.

Entroyp

Have you seen the Video a MS employee posted using glasses and straws to explain how the Ram in XSX works?

Oh shit, I seem to have missed that one... MS employee meaning a member of the Xbox team?

Edit: Found the article! Reading it right now.

Last edited:

Genx3

Oh shit, I seem to have missed that one... MS employee meaning a member of the Xbox team?

Edit: Found the article! Reading it right now.

My bad
I do not think it was a MS employee who explained it.
XSX Ram explained according to the tweets.

Last edited:
This is what MS said.
"Memory performance is asymmetrical - it's not something we could have done with the PC," explains Andrew Goossen "10 gigabytes of physical memory [runs at] 560GB/s. We call this GPU optimal memory. Six gigabytes [runs at] 336GB/s. We call this standard memory. GPU optimal and standard offer identical performance for CPU audio and file IO. The only hardware component that sees a difference in the GPU."

Stating that it wasn't possible on a PC tells me it isnt the same as Nvidias RAM set up.

Genx3

This is what MS said.
"Memory performance is asymmetrical - it's not something we could have done with the PC," explains Andrew Goossen "10 gigabytes of physical memory [runs at] 560GB/s. We call this GPU optimal memory. Six gigabytes [runs at] 336GB/s. We call this standard memory. GPU optimal and standard offer identical performance for CPU audio and file IO. The only hardware component that sees a difference in the GPU."

Stating that it wasn't possible on a PC tells me it isnt the same as Nvidias RAM set up.

That quote was actually made by a MS employee but the explanation I mentioned using the glasses and straws was not.

ZehDon

I'm not expecting a super-technical show - hopefully, they post a blog afterwards filled with all the fine details that would kill a video - but I absolutely read this as Microsoft taking a moment to explain their thinking around the hardware decisions inside the Series X. If so, its a brilliant move. Based on how their messaging has been, I suspect this is reactionary to Sony's lack of clarification from the "Road to PS5". This may be Microsoft's attempt to shutdown the "SSD = BIGGER FRAME RATES!!11!1!" garbage dominating the discourse, and get the talk back onto their console and its hardware, and the cool shit it can do. It also puts even more presume on Sony to talk about their console, which they seem almost reticent to do, at this point. Fingers crossed its more than a re-cap.

DrAspirino

Banned
...Or talk about the features of the OS moving forward that gamers will use.
Well... one thing is for sure: it will run a Hypervisor VM at the bottom, followed by Windows Core and DirectX 12 (with direct metal access), where games will run on top of, so we can expect system updates every time Microsoft updates Windows.

Last edited:
I would think this gets covered a little as it’s one of the main perceived flaws with the system for a lot of people (seemingly).

Its a very odd perception at that.

I recall that someone posted a very nice series of simplified diagrams explaining the "asymmetry" and its not a bottleneck at all for either the CPU or GPU. The XSX GPU always has access to 10GB of Ram at 560Gb/s. Which also means that XSX engineers also believe that they can continuously fill those 10GB sufficiently so that the GPU consuming RAM at that 560Gb/s never stalls.

There was also an article that tried to explain how the XSX memory subsystem works that was pretty inaccurate from a few weeks back.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Hopefully they address the RAM issue. Too many misinformed people saying that the lower speed RAM will dictate if the fast RAM can keep at 560GB/s.
MS have been pretty good at messaging so I would expect them to cut short alot of the BS thats been floating around.
Indeed. I think tomorrow will pretty much be about solidying the Series X as the most powerful console. Just my take..

diffusionx

Gold Member
Enough with the tech specs and muh teraflops. No more discuss. Show, not tell. Just show games.

In that regard, Sony's stuff about Spiderman in the first reveal was the best thing done so far from any of this shit.

Starcheif

Enough with the tech specs and muh teraflops. No more discuss. Show, not tell. Just show games.

In that regard, Sony's stuff about Spiderman in the first reveal was the best thing done so far from any of this shit.

These tech specs and stuff help pass the time until we get closer to June for me.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I love how people are trying to make MS the ones that need to do damage control when they have been the ones that have been 100% open about everything. Logic holds no barring here to some people and it is just disturbing.

Nothing MS says will ever penetrate or make an impression on the hardcore Sony extremists. People who take anything Cerny says as coming from God, who believe every rumor, tweet or fake insider that says something positive about PS5 or negative about XsX and they willfully disregard anything that doesn't align with their preconceived narrative.

MS isn't doing this Inside Xbox talk for the Sony extremists. Xbox isn't doing it for damage control they have nothing they need to damage control. They won the power crown and have the best hardware - full stop.

They're doing it for US, the Xbox fans. They're doing it for people who intend to buy both consoles and who are neutral. They're doing it for the casuals who couldn't care less nor are even aware of the Great Console War of 2020. Finally they're doing it for the multitude of rational PlayStation gamers (and we have some of those people in this very thread) in an effort to entice them to at least consider the XsX next gen.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'll just read the spins. I really don't care for spec talk anymore. We already know which console took the power crown. I just want to see some games from both. Only the blue warriors still need to convince themselves somehow that their precious console is better.

Yea man. I'm unnerved by the PS fans on these boards (not surprised). It's gotten to the point now where I wish misfortune for the damn console just because of the fans. That's ridiculous!

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Why do they even feel the need to copy Sony with this type of information. They should show another game to really stick it to the competition. Then they would have the power argument and the games argument. This seems weak imo. More games pls!!!

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yea man. I'm unnerved by the PS fans on these boards (not surprised). It's gotten to the point now where I wish misfortune for the damn console just because of the fans. That's ridiculous!

It goes both ways tbh lol. There's some green warriors that make me almost embarrassed to own an xbox too. But the blue guys have surpassed the green warriors after all the trolling and shitposting how they were getting a 13.3 tf console. Now everything they can latch on to has to be how the Ps5 is "better" 🤣🤣.

Sony guys are definitely more toxic tho. Even resorting to bashing insiders and the df guys for not singing their consoles praises. And you for saying Horizon is going to pc lol.

Stuart360

I dont wish ill on PS5 itself. PS1 and PS2 will always have a special place in my heart. Fanboys will be fanboys, on all sides, but they really are taking it to the extreme. I dont remember 360 fans being this bad last gen, i honestly dont. They have shat on Xbox the whole gen, and are still doing it. Why they cant just say 'alright fair enough, we did it this gen, and Xbox has the power next gen, but its the games that count' etc. But they are hurting now, and have been for a couple of weeks. Thats why they are desperately clinging onto every little bit of tidbits, whether thats tweets, youtubers, fake devs, whatever.
I get the sense nothing will change until we get the DF Face Offs at launch, and thats a long way off unfortunately.

They've seen how much tech ambiguity has given PlayStation huge attention, they're trying to hitch in to that train by brewing up some conflicting ideas.. basically they're going to say how great and ultimately decisive Terraflops are. My prediction.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned

I dont wish bad on Sony.
I just wish they can come clean and say it if it is so.
No point hiding sneaking delaying.
If you engineered in a less powered way, if you may have been taken by surprise, just say it, and enjoy it, and priced it accordingly.
Stop giving false hopes and ambigious messagings.

#Get on with things Mark Sony.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

You're being a slimysnake by pretending your trolling is sarcasm lol.

Ok, so you're saying Xbox Series X is superior, but developers just choose to love PS5 because of loyalty, and ironically that does make sense. PS5 will be developers' bread and butter, so why bad mouth it after placing their bet on it?

Developers remain loyal to PS5 because they want to make money, but Xbox Series X is more powerful and capable, makes sense 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom