• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft raises gamepass price in Turkey, again.

ef3f154051dc3c0ede0f126b457b609e.jpg

Stop Being Poor British GIF by BabylonBee

Yeah, I get my YT Premium through Argentina or maybe India, so I get it, but the real thing to do is exactly what you said, to make it harder for people to buy outside of the country.

Pretty sure on PSN to play an in-region game you need to be using an in-region profile. So you'd have to maintain your profile for all the games you wanted to buy and that would pose problems for people who want to play online.

There are ways of doing this without raising prices 400 percent.

They'll just unsub. They were unwilling to pay the price before. Once I can't get YT Premium for low low prices (just to avoid ads) I'll probably watch less youtube.
And this is why we can't have nice things, hence the current OP and also my prior OP about PS+ prices increasing 600% in Turkey. 🙄

Ms doing their best to make Sonys price increase more palatable.

You can look at it that way. Or Sony's increase just made MS feel more justified to increase their offering....

Anyway, this is nothing. Just wait until MS starts advertising COD and releases it on GP.

Ev1L AuRoN

While I understand your frustration (and I genuinely wish things get better for you), are people really to blame?

Microsoft opens up a door, an exploit, for people to buy something for cheap. Of course, people are gonna use it. Microsoft should focus on plugging that exploit rather than making it financially difficult for local players to buy their products and services.

Microsoft is choosing the easy way out. It's not the right way out though.
I think Microsoft probably could take measures to prevent it, but realistic, they sell codes and that gives a lot of options for people to buy through other means and bypass security. The result at the end is the same, people in development countries get the short end of the stick.
Sickening that people buy a product from a trillion dollar company at the lowest possible cost? Come on man. That’s one bizarre take. That poor exploited trillion dollar company. My sides.
Look, here in Brazil most people live with less than US$:500,00 in the rich part of the country, in the north, it's more like 200 a month, and Brazil isn't even that bad compared to a lot of places. Really, I understand that 70 bucks is expensive, but realistically, unless you buy everything they put out it shouldn't be a problem for most of the people living in the so called, first world country.
Regional prices are very important in those markets, that's allow them to participate in the industry, I give you an anecdotal example. Back in the 360 days, most of my friends had a console, we can buy games normally without relying on services like game pass. Now I can count in one hand who can afford a console, half of them had to settle for a XSS, services like game pass and PSN+ extra became indispensable for us.

I'm not saying that this is Microsoft's or Sony's fault. Our currency lost a lot of its value and the corruption here it's awful, at the end all I can say is, we need this more than most of you, you can save a buck, for us is the difference between having a console or not.

DJ12

You can look at it that way. Or Sony's increase just made MS feel more justified to increase their offering....

Anyway, this is nothing. Just wait until MS starts advertising COD and releases it on GP.
Isn't gamepass more expensive anyway if you don't get a deal?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Turkey and Argentina are often used by people outside those countries to get games exceedingly cheap. MS is trying to block this exploit.

But in doing so gamers actually from these countries are getting completely screwed. They should have made it harder for people outside those countries to use their prices not raise them for the locals.

Also the question now comes that if people that were exploiting these Turkey/Argentina prices will now pay a higher price or if they'll just unsub.
Well, to be fair. The prices in Türkiye was the main reason why almost all my friends in former-Soviet Union had accounts there. Not only on xbox systems, also on PSN
Pretty much.

Steam has crazy pricing too. When people would post game price charts, a full priced game which every other country pays $60 US is roughly around that price when converted to other local currencies (give or take $10). But in South America or Russia (I'm going to guess Turkey too) the games would be like $12 US.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think Microsoft probably could take measures to prevent it, but realistic, they sell codes and that gives a lot of options for people to buy through other means and bypass security. The result at the end is the same, people in development countries get the short end of the stick.
They can geo-lock their accounts to solve that problem relatively easily.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

They can geo-lock their accounts to solve that problem relatively easily.
That would impose some limitation to users who travel a lot, like the military, VPN is also a thing, IDK, any measure that can allow them to practice better prices in development countries would be welcome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Microsoft opens up a door, an exploit, for people to buy something for cheap. Of course, people are gonna use it. Microsoft should focus on plugging that exploit rather than making it financially difficult for local players to buy their products and services.

Microsoft is choosing the easy way out. It's not the right way out though.

You're making it sound easier than it probably is. If plugging in price exploits would be easy PS+ or Steam wouldn't be increasing either. Lots of people on GAF use these price exploits as well, you've admitted to using the PS+ exploit in Turkey and I recommend everyone buy GP from Turkey for the cheapest conversions. But the recent price increases will probably make those options less recommendable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're making it sound easier than it probably is. If plugging in price exploits would be easy PS+ or Steam wouldn't be increasing either. Lots of people on GAF use these price exploits as well, you've admitted to using the PS+ exploit in Turkey and I recommend everyone buy GP from Turkey for the cheapest conversions. But the recent price increases will probably make those options less recommendable.
I'm no tech guy, but I dont see how any company can totally restrict crazy regional pricing. Dont clever people just have to VPN their PC or console from a low priced region and thats good enough to avoid security checks?

Or can companies somehow crack down on VPNing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm no tech guy, but I dont see how any company can totally restrict crazy regional pricing. Dont clever people just have to VPN their PC or console from a low priced region and thats good enough to avoid security checks?

Unless they are pinging GPS locations on every device (provided you even have Location tracking enabled), it's probably not a very easy thing. The whole Point of VPN's is to spoof your location in the first place.

This is a bit beyond my scope of understanding too.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's like try to avoid rain with a piece of paper.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've not used it. I use the US PSN account.

Using VPNs are already restricted on consoles, unless I'm mistaken, right? I don't think it'd be that difficult to force geo-targeted IPs to create only a local account (if that country is supposed) or a US account (if the country isn't supported).

Besides, Microsoft's system is weaker in this regard than PlayStation's. There is no "New Zealand" trick you can do on PSN, but you can on Xbox.

That system needs to improve, instead of blanket-punishing local players from less-rich countries.

Ev1L AuRoN

I've not used it. I use the US PSN account.

Using VPNs are already restricted on consoles, unless I'm mistaken, right? I don't think it'd be that difficult to force geo-targeted IPs to create only a local account (if that country is supposed) or a US account (if the country isn't supported).

Besides, Microsoft's system is weaker in this regard than PlayStation's. There is no "New Zealand" trick you can do on PSN, but you can on Xbox.

That system needs to improve, instead of blanket-punishing local players from less-rich countries.
I live in Brazil and my account is US, so is the inverse, I pay more for my content, and my problem with Sony is another thing that drives me crazy, I can't change my account region without loosing all my trophies. Before you guys ask me why my account is US, is simple, I made my account back em 2006 when I bought my PS3, back then, there isn't a PSN BR, and when we finally god our store, it didn't have 90% of the US content.

StereoVsn

The lira has nosedived in strength against the dollar and even with this recent price hike Gamepass is still cheaper in Turkey compared to the US.

But Microsoft bad I guess.
The whole idea of regional pricing is to be cognizant of local buying power. Somebody in Turkey didn’t magically get 70% raise because Lira nosedived.

Three

If anyone is to blame is Erdogan and his idiotic economic policies. Not Microsoft, nor any other company that has to rise prices due to ramping inflation.
While we can blame Erdoğan for 65% inflation we can also blame the companies for increasing prices by 433%. There is a massive gap between 65% and 433%. Inflation is caused by these company increases anyway and not the other way round.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Isn't gamepass more expensive anyway if you don't get a deal?
Yeah it is, because Plus has annual subs and Game Pass doesnt.

Or has anyone figured out if Game Pass Core actually have annual subs now? It seems to flip flop based on the website you look at.

winjer

Gold Member
While we can blame Erdoğan for 65% inflation we can also blame the companies for increasing prices by 433%. There is a massive gap between 65% and 433%. Inflation is caused by these company increases anyway and not the other way round.

It's not just 65% inflation in recent years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The whole idea of regional pricing is to be cognizant of local buying power. Somebody in Turkey didn’t magically get 70% raise because Lira nosedived.
True, but digital products are different as it can be transmitted digitally for free, fast and the material cost of a game is probably a nickels worth of bit & bytes or a plastic case with disc costing $1.50 to make. So they got so much margin to play with that gaming is something (assuming every person to sticks to their own region and buying power), where companies can skew pricing a lot and still make money hoping every ganer doesn't VPN to an Argentina or Turkey account.

On the other hand a $2000 OLED in the US isnt sold for $200 in a poor country.

Three

It's not just 65% inflation in recent years.
In recent years no but this 433% increase is over the one year only. If you do it for several years then it's more. I visit Turkey for 3 month periods every year and have experience of their rising prices first hand. The companies are also to blame for causing the inflation as they increase prices. Especially on goods which aren't supply constrained in the first place.

winjer

Gold Member
In recent years no but this 433% increase is over the one year only. If you do it for several years then it's more. I visit Turkey for 3 month periods every year and have experience of their rising prices first hand. The companies are also to blame for causing the inflation as they increase prices. Especially on goods which aren't supply constrained in the first place.

A few things to consider. Companies don't update prices as frequently as inflation changes. Do there is a lag, and that can manifest in one big increase.
Another thing to consider is that Turkey is under reporting the real value of inflation.
Finally, there are external factors. Such as people using vpns to buy digital goods in Turkish stores.

Zathalus

That only works up to a point. Eventually you will need to increase the price or you will just be making a loss. Before the increase Gamepass was hilariously cheap, even after the increase it is still cheaper then the US and is inline with what you would pay for games on the PS5 or Xbox.

Three

A few things to consider. Companies don't update prices as frequently as inflation changes. Do there is a lag, and that can manifest in one big increase.
That would make sense if this wasn't the second increase within a year. They're doing it frequently.

Another thing to consider is that Turkey is under reporting the real value of inflation.
Even if so unless MS workers got a 433% pay raise and/or running the infrastructure somehow got 433% more expensive it wouldn't even be anywhere near true inflation still.
Finally, there are external factors. Such as people using vpns to buy digital goods in Turkish stores.
This I sympathise with but it still sucks for the local people there.

winjer

Gold Member
That would make sense if this wasn't the second increase within a year. They're doing it frequently.

Even if so unless MS workers got a 433% pay raise and/or running the infrastructure somehow got 433% more expensive it wouldn't even be anywhere near true inflation still.

This I sympathise with but it still sucks for the local people there.

You still don't understand this is because of inflation in Turkey.
Also, the Lyra has devalued a lot compared to the dollar.
It's not about workers in the USA getting a pay increase.

Last edited:
im gonna be real with y'all.

I think these price increases are adamsapple's fault; all his propaganda for MS points/rewards (or whatever) to not pay full price for the best deal in gaming is disgusting and negatively impacts MS's ability to offer cheaper prices.

Three

You still don't understand this is because of inflation in Turkey. The Lyra has devalued a lot compared to the dollar.
It's not about workers getting a pay increase.
What's there to not understand? It's the Lira not Lyra. I understand inflation has everything to do with increased running costs (which includes wages), supply and the company price increases are based on them. Doesn't mean price increases can't be driven by other things too. The lira didn't drop 433%, 600% etc in a year it dropped by ~50%. Companies drive inflation, not the other way round.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That only works up to a point. Eventually you will need to increase the price or you will just be making a loss. Before the increase Gamepass was hilariously cheap, even after the increase it is still cheaper then the US and is inline with what you would pay for games on the PS5 or Xbox.
Price increase yes, but not 400+% one. And again, prices should absolutely not be similar to US or EU, that would be insanity when considering local purchasing power.

Really what needed to be done is tighter control to make sure the robot local people can buy games vs someone in richer countries trying to save a few $€£.

winjer

Gold Member
What's there to not understand? It's the Lira not Lyra. I understand inflation has everything to do with increased running costs (which includes wages), supply and the company price increases are based on them. Doesn't mean price increases can't be driven by other things too. The lira didn't drop 433%, 600% etc in a year it dropped by ~50%. Companies drive inflation, not the other way round.

You are ignoring previous years inflation and that the reports from the Turkish government are not accurate.

Three

You are ignoring previous years inflation and that the reports from the Turkish government are not accurate.
I didn't ignore it but we can agree to disagree. Gamepass PC launched late in Turkey (after 2020 i believe) so it wouldn't even make sense if we said that they had a lira price set from then that needed adjusting as even that increase wouldn't be anywhere near 433%. Trying to stop others buying through VPN and boost revenue by getting rid of regional prices I understand (minimum wage is something like $250 a month there). Clearly these price increases by the likes of Sony and MS aren't purely driven by inflation, it's a far greater increase than inflation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You are conflating two different percentages. A 50% drop in value of the currency would require a price 200% of the previous.
But this is all about people taking advantage from other countries - the article didn't give enough info on whether they meant the price was 400% of what it was previously or a 400% increase so I tried googling the price of gamepass in turkey. Practically the entire front page was links to get cheap gamepass by exploiting the Turkish regional pricing.

Three

You are conflating two different percentages. A 50% drop in value of the currency would require a price 200% of the previous.
But this is all about people taking advantage from other countries - the article didn't give enough info on whether they meant the price was 400% of what it was previously or a 400% increase so I tried googling the price of gamepass in turkey. Practically the entire front page was links to get cheap gamepass by exploiting the Turkish regional pricing.
I'm not at all. It would require a 100% increase not 200% of the previous.

You can check this with the GP ultimate increase given in the article. The GP ultimate price which is currently 209TL vs 45TL last year. That's a 365% increase which matches the OP and article or the way you calculate it that's 465% of the previous price.

The reason you're getting those hits on your search too is because you searched in English.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not at all. It would require a 100% increase not 200% of the previous.

You can check this with the GP ultimate increase given in the article. The GP ultimate price which is currently 209TL vs 45TL last year. That's a 365% increase which matches the OP and article or the way you calculate it that's 465% of the previous price.

The reason you're getting those hits on your search too is because you searched in English.
Depending on the context and words used, going from 50 to 100 can be both a 100% increase of 50, or 200% of 50.

Almost all my friends were getting their gp subs from Turkey and using a VPN
Why pay full price when u can get shit in 1/3 of the price.

Three

Depending on the context and words used, going from 50 to 100 can be both a 100% increase of 50, or 200% of 50.
Yes but the values given are using the context relating to 100%. So if you were using the 200% of 50 context the 433% increase would in fact be 533% of the previous price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom