• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft raises gamepass price in Turkey, again.

Papa_Wisdom

heath ledger joker GIF

Mowcno

Turkey and Argentina are often used by people outside those countries to get games exceedingly cheap. MS is trying to block this exploit.

But in doing so gamers actually from these countries are getting completely screwed. They should have made it harder for people outside those countries to use their prices not raise them for the locals.

Also the question now comes that if people that were exploiting these Turkey/Argentina prices will now pay a higher price or if they'll just unsub.

khakimzhan

Well, to be fair. The prices in Türkiye was the main reason why almost all my friends in former-Soviet Union had accounts there. Not only on xbox systems, also on PSN

Last edited:
Massive and growing.

I'm talking about the tag given to the thread

Turkey and Argentina are often used by people outside those countries to get games exceedingly cheap. MS is trying to block this exploit.

But in doing so gamers actually from these countries are getting completely screwed. They should have made it harder for people outside those countries to use their prices not raise them for the locals.

Also the question now comes that if people that were exploiting these Turkey/Argentina prices will now pay a higher price or if they'll just unsub.

Yeah, I get my YT Premium through Argentina or maybe India, so I get it, but the real thing to do is exactly what you said, to make it harder for people to buy outside of the country.

Pretty sure on PSN to play an in-region game you need to be using an in-region profile. So you'd have to maintain your profile for all the games you wanted to buy and that would pose problems for people who want to play online.

There are ways of doing this without raising prices 400 percent.

They'll just unsub. They were unwilling to pay the price before. Once I can't get YT Premium for low low prices (just to avoid ads) I'll probably watch less youtube.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I used to buy GP Codes from Turkey and activate using a VPN. They were a third of the price that I would normally pay in NZ.

A 400% increase seems wild tho. Suck for Turkish gamers.

"this is why we can't have nice things"

winjer

Gold Member
If anyone is to blame is Erdogan and his idiotic economic policies. Not Microsoft, nor any other company that has to rise prices due to ramping inflation.

ReBurn

Gold Member
BNN Breaking news: Microsoft cratered the Turkish economy just to raise game pass prices! How could Phil do this?

Unknown?

ReBurn

Gold Member
The last time there were hikes I was told it was just routine inflation adjustments. the world apparently went to more shit in a few months after that.
Turkey's economy continues to deteriorate with inflation out of control. It rose from 58.94% in August to 61.53% in September. Turkey is still going to shit compared to the rest of the world. The price of a video game subscription is the least of their economic concerns.

Ev1L AuRoN

Gotta give Microsoft some credit, thanks to game pass Sony created the extra tier on PSN+. Here in Brazil that's where I do most of my gaming, I bought 2-3 games in a good year.

It's sad to see price increases in markets where people are already struggling to buy games. And it's sickening that people in other markets exploit the regional prices to save money, resulting in actions like that and ultimately denying access to those gamers.

Z O N E

I'm talking about the tag given to the thread

Yeah, I get my YT Premium through Argentina or maybe India, so I get it, but the real thing to do is exactly what you said, to make it harder for people to buy outside of the country.

Pretty sure on PSN to play an in-region game you need to be using an in-region profile. So you'd have to maintain your profile for all the games you wanted to buy and that would pose problems for people who want to play online.

There are ways of doing this without raising prices 400 percent.

They'll just unsub. They were unwilling to pay the price before. Once I can't get YT Premium for low low prices (just to avoid ads) I'll probably watch less youtube.

Realistically, the only way to do this is by blocking region hopping.

OR

Allow region hopping, but you have to provide evidence of your residence in that country if you swap regions, so for example a bank letter, or bill showing your name and address. But then you're stuck with the "what if the proof of residence is fake" scenario and then you're back to square one.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gotta give Microsoft some credit, thanks to game pass Sony created the extra tier on PSN+. Here in Brazil that's where I do most of my gaming, I bought 2-3 games in a good year.

It's sad to see price increases in markets where people are already struggling to buy games. And it's sickening that people in other markets exploit the regional prices to save money, resulting in actions like that and ultimately denying access to those gamers.
While I understand your frustration (and I genuinely wish things get better for you), are people really to blame?

Microsoft opens up a door, an exploit, for people to buy something for cheap. Of course, people are gonna use it. Microsoft should focus on plugging that exploit rather than making it financially difficult for local players to buy their products and services.

Microsoft is choosing the easy way out. It's not the right way out though.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why not just enforcing that the user is really from turkey, instead of stuffing on Turkish and Argentinians?

They tried. People were happily using VPNs to bypass blocks.

While I understand your frustration (and I genuinely wish things get better for you), are people really to blame?

Microsoft opens up a door, an exploit, for people to buy something for cheap. Of course, people are gonna use it. Microsoft should focus on plugging that exploit rather than making it financially difficult for local players to buy their products and services.

Microsoft is choosing the easy way out. It's not the right way out though.

The ‘exploit’ you’re referring to is the lower price in Turkey and Argentina.
What does ‘plug that exploit’ mean in this context?

How much are retail games sold for in those countries?

NickFire

Sickening that people buy a product from a trillion dollar company at the lowest possible cost? Come on man. That’s one bizarre take. That poor exploited trillion dollar company. My sides.

Top Bottom