• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Many future ZeniMax titles will be shipped on PlayStation and Nintendo Consoles

It's complete speculation and the MCU deal happened AFTER the games development started which was in 2014...
Well the first time Spider-Man appeared in the MCU was in Civil War so presumably the contract was drafted and signed some time before the release of the film in 2016.

But that was not the point I was trying to make here, there were rumors that Sony was blocking Spider-Man appearance - in the Marvel's Avengers game - on other platforms than PlayStation due to this presumably renegotiated MCU contract, which gave them a bit more power with regards to Spider-Man rights in console and PC games.

Nydius

There goes that talking point.

Why? Because an exec said the same PR bullshit they’ve been repeating? It’s literally nothing new and disproves nothing.

Actions speak louder than words and Microsoft’s actions have made their intent perfectly clear. For the year leading up to the Zenimax acquisition they repeated this exact same lie about not taking away games from gamers no matter where they played… and then IMMEDIATELY made Starfield, Redfall, the future TES6, and now apparently Indiana Jones Xbox console exclusive. They sent executive level emails telling the studios to cease ALL PlayStation development on those titles.

MS exec repeating their same PR lies doesn’t prove shit except Microsoft are bad at lying and hopes the court doesn’t notice (or care).

Last edited:
This one is a shock, I guess going by how they were handling Star Wars, I was wrong.

I wonder how much that cost.

Nineteen Kathleen Kennedys

yep, what future titles are going to actually be released when Microsoft is even going as far as to amend contracts in order to cut out competition once they acquire publishers?

AFAIK, old legacy remasters and live-service/GaaS releases. I guess the Indiana Jones stuff shouldn't be surprising given MS already said TES VI would be Xbox console-exclusive; seeing the way they were able to make Indiana Jones console exclusive anyway though says a lot to their negotiating power ($$$; it's Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm, they'll do anything for money just ask the CCP).

Well the first time Spider-Man appeared in the MCU was in Civil War so presumably the contract was drafted and signed some time before the release of the film in 2016.

But that was not the point I was trying to make here, there were rumors that Sony was blocking Spider-Man appearance - in the Marvel's Avengers game - on other platforms than PlayStation due to this presumably renegotiated MCU contract, which gave them a bit more power with regards to Spider-Man rights in console and PC games.

Yet that power didn't extend to Marvel's Midnight Suns...or fortnite...

The deal for Homecoming hadn't been reached when they had the Spider-Man cameo in Civil War.

But, but it was initially. They were following the Star Wars model, prior.

That's just the game in general. Once Microsoft purchased it, it doesn't mean it will still come out multiplatform, which I tried to explain to you.

I love the speed in which you were proven wrong here, sometimes I have to wait months if not years to prove someone wrong, but this was minutes, thank you.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Euz31g4.gif

Yet that power didn't extend to Marvel's Midnight Suns...or fortnite...

The deal for Homecoming hadn't been reached when they had the Spider-Man cameo in Civil War.

Like I said, it's just pure speculation that was around the time of the renegotiation and the avengers spider-man exclusivity for PlayStation. I didn't say that I actually believe any of that. :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's just the game in general. Once Microsoft purchased it, it doesn't mean it will still come out multiplatform, which I tried to explain to you.

I love the speed in which you were proven wrong here, sometimes I have to wait months if not years to prove someone wrong, but this was minutes, thank you.
They renegotiated for exclusivity after purchase It was original multiplot like Star Wars.

They foreclosed, which is more dirt on their "we won't foreclose" lies to the regulators.

That's the issue. The regulation is dishonest and based on politics and grandstanding alone. Like everything these days sadly.
The EU's EC who won't release their full report on supposed remdies like everyone else did? I agree.

Last edited:
Like I said, it's just pure speculation that was around the time of the renegotiation and the avengers spider-man exclusivity for PlayStation. I didn't say that I actually believe any of that. :p

Speculation that generally always comes from people who don't understand how licensing works and think that Sony own the rights to Spider-Man regardless of medium. It's literally a conversation I've seen happening for 20 years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phil Spencer:
"When sony is doing discreet deals in the background"
"They want to grow by making Xbox smaller"
"when we all play we all win"
What a surprise he's been full of shit this whole time.
Pete Hines even said MS kept approaching them to try and get full exclusive deals before the purchase. Another one checked off the list that only Sony was doing that.

Oh and this,

Last edited:

EDMIX

ikr probably had to do with them games that failed in sales

craaaaazy lol

Watch us find out they are just talking about Skyrim ported 3 times lol Skyrim PS5 RT edition, Skyrim PS5 VR2 edition, Skyrim PS5 Pro Edition. I mean, sure we lolz now, but that game deadass had 3 versions on PS4 lol

VAVA Mk2

Why? Because an exec said the same PR bullshit they’ve been repeating? It’s literally nothing new and disproves nothing.

Actions speak louder than words and Microsoft’s actions have made their intent perfectly clear. For the year leading up to the Zenimax acquisition they repeated this exact same lie about not taking away games from gamers no matter where they played… and then IMMEDIATELY made Starfield, Redfall, the future TES6, and now apparently Indiana Jones Xbox console exclusive. They sent executive level emails telling the studios to cease ALL PlayStation development on those titles.

MS exec repeating their same PR lies doesn’t prove shit except Microsoft are bad at lying and hopes the court doesn’t notice (or care).
They kinda helped people out by keeping Redfall away from PS...

graywolf323

Phil Spencer:
"When sony is doing discreet deals in the background"
"They want to grow by making Xbox smaller"
"when we all play we all win"
What a surprise he's been full of shit this whole time.
they are masters at projecting, basically anything you hear Microsoft accuse their competitors of you know Microsoft is just upset because said competitors have been doing better at it than Microsoft, not because Microsoft isn’t doing it too

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think the judge might be interested in joining game pass now after her amazement at not being able to pay $70 to play games via the service.

MarkMe2525

I wonder how much damage Redfall did to the Xbox brand and Bethesda/Zenimax in general? The fallout was almost as severe as Cyberpunk 2077. At least it seemed that way on the internet.
?? A month later and no one is talking about RedFall. The fallout was not even in the same galaxy as Cyberpunk. It's not a good look for MS but let's not get carried away. Cyberpunk was one of the most anticipated titles of the generation, no one cared about RedFall even before it was shown to be a mess.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get what's the problem with the FTC, I don't get why Microsoft have to concede on their content strategy, no company buy another just to favour competitors, that's absurd, this is just a stupid virtue signaling war.

ABK wanted to be purchased, FTC is literally violating their rights to be purchased, how is this even legal? Are they saying that big companies can't be sold even if they want to? What's the alternative then if they want to sell if the only companies that can sell are those like Microsoft? This is absurd.

They are literally pursuing so hard as if taking it personal, did Nadella spit in FTC president coffee? Ffs, they look so dumb, it's literally impossible they do this for the consumer, there must be some political o economic war behind this purchase and FTC is just a puppet of some bigger entities or they're are not being paid enough under the table... Wtf

Nydius

They don't have a choice really. I imagine the numbers they have for software sales on the Series X are dismal.

That doesn't jive with their recent actions. Starfield is Bethesda's biggest/most anticipated release since Skyrim and Fallout 4. If Microsoft cared about maximizing profit through sales Starfield would still be a multiplatform game. The amount of money Microsoft is leaving on the table by cutting PlayStation off from the game is massive.

?? A month later and no one is talking about RedFall. The fallout was not even in the same galaxy as Cyberpunk. It's not a good look for MS but let's not get carried away. Cyberpunk was one of the most anticipated titles of the generation, no one cared about RedFall even before it was shown to be a mess.

Boy oh boy that's some interesting spin! Microsoft and Xbox fans sure cared about Redfall. They touted it as a major tentpole for Xbox exclusives in 2023. It was going to be a massive success that carried Xbox through the summer until Forza and Starfield and prove Microsoft was over the exclusivity drought. That's all they could parrot for months until the game released.

Now that it's released and was a complete and utter flop, it's "no one cared about Redfall"?

The hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty of Xbox fanatics is on display every day.

Last edited:
I don't get what's the problem with the FTC, I don't get why Microsoft have to concede on their content strategy, no company buy another just to favour competitors, that's absurd, this is just a stupid virtue signaling war.

ABK wanted to be purchased, FTC is literally violating their rights to be purchased, how is this even legal? Are they saying that big companies can't be sold even if they want to? What's the alternative then if they want to sell if the only companies that can sell are those like Microsoft? This is absurd.

They are literally pursuing so hard as if taking it personal, did Nadella spit in FTC president coffee? Ffs, they look so dumb, it's literally impossible they do this for the consumer, there must be some political o economic war behind this purchase and FTC is just a puppet of some bigger entities or they're are not being paid enough under the table... Wtf

It’s posturing against ‘Big Tech’. None of it makes sense which is why all these arguments boil down to emotional arguments about what’s ‘fair’ and ‘honest’.

No one loses in this deal apart from Sony, and it wouldn’t come close to ‘eliminating’ them.

Nydius

ABK wanted to be purchased

No they fucking didn't. That statement is pure revisionist bullshit.

There were no talks, no plans, no hint of ABK selling to anyone until Microsoft came along with an offer too good to refuse.

ABK was dealing with controversies but they weren't looking to sell. They were profitable on their own despite the Kotick and Blizzard controversies.

Knightime_X

I wonder how much damage Redfall did to the Xbox brand and Bethesda/Zenimax in general? The fallout was almost as severe as Cyberpunk 2077. At least it seemed that way on the internet.
Probably minimal.
The hype behind redfall was artificial and exaggerated.
It wasn't until AFTER Redfall did I even heard of the game.

Top Bottom