• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is finally clarifying the situation regarding future Bethesda games

I'm not reaching for anything. Phil was talking about future games, not me. "And even in the future, there might be things that have either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do." His words, not mine.

Your interpretation/assumption is the reach, not his words, because you have a bias in wanting these titles to still appear outside of the Xbox/PC/GamePass ecosystem and are taking extra steps in interpreting the stated words to keep that idea afloat.

Which, again, could be the case. But then it's fair to ask you what time duration does "future" cover for you? Is it Deathloop? Ghostwire? Maybe Indiana Jones and Starfield? Something even further out like the next DOOM, Dishonered, Wolfenstein or Elder Scrolls?

Maybe you can specify what exactly you interpret by that statement so that it's easier to agree or disagree with aspects of that interpretation. Because if you take one quote, you should also pay attention to other parts of the same quote, such as:

But if you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you, that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists, and that's our goal.

Which if read seems to suggest their goal is to provide exclusive content through GamePass and wherever it exists, including Xbox consoles. But then following that up with "and that's our goal" basically frames it as their chief/primary goal, not a secondary goal or perk of those systems having GamePass.

This just suggests that they are going to use the bulk of these games to drive GamePass meaning they will be games exclusive to GamePass and any devices that support GamePass, and we all know that is effectively Xbox, PC, and mobile devices.

Null Persp

done its over GIF

Finally we can end endless pages of speculation.

If you read the actual quote and not some 3rd party tweet he doesn’t say a lot of what the OP is asserting as true. He doesn’t mentions TES6 by name yet OP is including it anyways. Y’all keep jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Alebrije

That is logical , Xbone owners could finally get some decent exclusive IPs.. Hope its true and Microsoft delivers next Fallout exclusive to Xbone/Gamepass....

This is best for all, even Sony supporters...

No, I mean there aren't binding contracts to force a publisher to make a game multiplatform. There are exclusivity deals, but it's up to a publisher if they want to release a game multiplatform. Sony doesn't have a gun to Bethesda's head forcing them to release Starfield on the PS5 unless Sony paid for exclusivity.

Of course there are. That's probably what happened with Sony's MLB license renewal

I'm not talking about Starfield. I'm just talking about Indiane Jones, which they're collaborating with Lucasgames on and it's entirely possible that they don't want the game just to be exclusive to Xbox and PC.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
britney_yawn-DMID1-5db5rkpai-350x229.gif

So Spencer still can't just say it clearly if TES6 (or Starfield) will be exclusive or not, as usual with Spencer never clear with his mouth, like with ROTR exclusivity deal.
50/50 Starfield but nothing afterwards and if we get SF consider it lucky. That’s it, point blank.

NickFire

Your interpretation/assumption is the reach, not his words, because you have a bias in wanting these titles to still appear outside of the Xbox/PC/GamePass ecosystem and are taking extra steps in interpreting the stated words to keep that idea afloat.

Which, again, could be the case. But then it's fair to ask you what time duration does "future" cover for you? Is it Deathloop? Ghostwire? Maybe Indiana Jones and Starfield? Something even further out like the next DOOM, Dishonered, Wolfenstein or Elder Scrolls?

Maybe you can specify what exactly you interpret by that statement so that it's easier to agree or disagree with aspects of that interpretation. Because if you take one quote, you should also pay attention to other parts of the same quote, such as:

Which if read seems to suggest their goal is to provide exclusive content through GamePass and wherever it exists, including Xbox consoles. But then following that up with "and that's our goal" basically frames it as their chief/primary goal, not a secondary goal or perk of those systems having GamePass.

This just suggests that they are going to use the bulk of these games to drive GamePass meaning they will be games exclusive to GamePass and any devices that support GamePass, and we all know that is effectively Xbox, PC, and mobile devices.
Dude, my position is the statement was so vague no conclusions can be reached yet. Check my post history if you question that.

ethomaz

Banned
No, I mean there aren't binding contracts to force a publisher to make a game multiplatform. There are exclusivity deals, but it's up to a publisher if they want to release a game multiplatform. Sony doesn't have a gun to Bethesda's head forcing them to release Starfield on the PS5 unless Sony paid for exclusivity.
Nobody is talking about just Sony... Sony could not even be involved.

When you start to give birth to a game project you show the ideias to investors to get funds... so it is signed a contract that can or not have the platforms the game will be released (the investor wants the game in most places possible so he/she asks to be put in contract).

That happens more than people here believes.

I always said since beginning it depends of the contract in place for each game and Phil basically said the same thing over and over.

Of course new game contracts will be exclusive to what MS wants... that was pretty clear since beginning.

Last edited:

SSfox

Error no?

"Glad he was very clear and essentially we now have our answer Outside of already released games or titles like Deathloop and GhostWire Tokyo if you want to play the big future Bethesda games you'll need an Xbox or PC"
That's playing with words like he was doing with ROTR.

TES6 was officially announce with teaser 3 years ago, why not Cleary says that TES6 will be Xbox / PC exclusive right now to make it clear for people that look forward for this game? (which are a lot of people actually)

Last edited:

NickFire

No! Again, why the hell would they allow such a huge title to go to a competitor? Not a chance!
Do they own the Indy IP? If not, do you know what the contract to use it specifies? If so, is there anything regarding royalties being shared, or extra payments based on sales?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

So for exemple, nothing is ruled out for Indiana Jones coming to PS5 but the next DOOM, Elder Scrolls VI and all IP from Bethesda are gonna be Xbox exclusives.
To be more clear: Phill basically said Xbox exclusive will be available on all plateforme were GamePass is available.
Elder Scrolls Online will still be supported and get update on PS4/5.

You know what to do Sony.

Exclusive IP on the future:
The Edler Scrolls
Doom
Starfield
Fallout
Wolfenstein
Prey
Dishonored
The Evil Within
Rage

Also announced: From tomorrow 20 bethesda games are going to be on GamePass

You're nuts if you think they'll let Indiana Jones go to Sony or Nintendo.

So I guess we need to wait for E3 for the Xbox victory lap to see exactly which titles are exclusive and which have "existing agreements"? Do we know that there arent "existing agreements" for games like the next Doom?

FunkMiller

We’re all going to shit the bed when this turns out to be Phil hinting at GamePass going to PlayStation. I’d literally laugh so much I’d have a prolapse.

SSfox

50/50 Starfield but nothing afterwards and if we get SF consider it lucky. That’s it, point blank.
I think they should make all Beth games exclusive cause that's the least they should do if they want to stand a chance in next gen, but for me it's not clear yet if games like next TES or Starfield will be multi or exclusive. What we got is that some Bethesda games will be exclusive (like no shit), but which one and who and when? Pretty much nothing new from what we know since 2 months. Guess nothing new with MS and their blurry AF communication.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nobody is talking about just Sony... Sony could not even be involved.

When you start to give birth to a game project you show the ideias to investors to get funds... so it is signed a contract that can or not have the platforms the game will be released (the investor wants the game in most places possible so he/she asks to be put in contract).

That happens more than people here believes.

I always said since beginning it depends of the contract in place for each game and Phil basically said the same thing over and over.

Of course new game contracts will be exclusive to what MS wants... that was pretty clear since beginning.

Well sony are the big compition in this and that’s where the contracts would of been with this, we know of a couple of games and Indy could defiantly be one to. Once they have been done that will be it for new games on sony platforms from them

Well that makes sense, anyone who thought that they would go beyond their contractual obligations was delusional..
I'm even surprised that they will keep updating games on competing platforms.

Now for the Xbox people who argued that exclusives are meaningless... WTF is Microsoft doing?

mejin

''We have games that exist on other platforms, and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players. We love those communities and we'll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there might be things that have either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do.''

tenor.gif

Kmiwj3.gif

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Well Sony did force the situation with timed exclusives of each next-generation zenimax game one by one. Microsoft either had to be second rate zenimax platform or the exclusive platform. Jimbo Ryan instigated a tank fight with a knife.
I'm no Sony shill, but I don't fault them either for trying to get an advantage. Same as I don't fault Microsoft for doing the same. Though if this is this way the battle ends up going forward (i.e. consolidating studios through large aquisitions), this will not end well for Sony via mathematics.

I doubt we will get into that level of consolidation though and I hope as it's not healthy for the space.

ethomaz

Banned
We’re all going to shit the bed when this turns out to be Phil hinting at GamePass going to PlayStation. I’d literally laugh so much I’d have a prolapse.

MS Gamepass plan was always to be on PlayStation too... I talked about that in the own reveal thread.

It is their final goal to be in all kinds of platforms: iOS, Android, PC, Nintendo, PlayStation, SmartTVs, etc.

NickFire

Are you serious?? You're trolling, right? Gotta be...
Yes I am serious. No I am not trolling. Now can you answer the questions? If not, you are making predictions without even considering how IP rights work. If IP holders lend out IP in exchange for royalties / bonus payments, they can control how many platforms to support to get the maximum possible return. I am not saying I have any personal knowledge of the Indy IP ownership or contract. But if Indy is owned by Lucas still, the contract between Lucas and pub controls where it goes. No idea what it says, but since you seem to know I figured I'd ask for you to share.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So I guess they are removing all Bethesda games from PS Now immediately? I mean since they are “exclusive” why would they remain?
Your shit takes from the other day get funnier with every passing minute.

It’s pretty clear from Phil’s comments that they aren’t just going to pull anything with a legacy. Why would they pull anything immediately from PS Now when they can just wait for the agreement to end?

I swear you have the mind of a child.

dcmk7

Banned
So it all comes down to people's definition of 'legacy' I guess..

I would assume it means if the series existed previously on that console then the series will continue to see titles.

ethomaz

Banned
Well sony are the big compition in this and that’s where the contracts would of been with this, we know of a couple of games and Indy could defiantly be one to. Once they have been done that will be it for new games on sony platforms from them
New games won’t be on PlayStation that is 100% certain.

We need to wait the case by case of game that were already done contract before MS takes the management.... that was what Uncle Phil is saying the whole week including today.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

MS Gamepass plan was always to be on PlayStation too... I talked about that in the own reveal thread.

It is their final goal to be in all kinds of platforms: iOS, Android, PC, Nintendo, PlayStation, SmartTVs, etc.

If that’s what comes to pass it’ll be like some kind of ocean of salty boiled piss around here 🤣

HTK

Banned
I thought Xbox has no games. Why do people suddenly want them on PlayStation?

I'm just stating based on Microsoft's wording if your platform hosts GamePass you'll have access obviously to all the titles. Kind of like EA Access on consoles, I highly doubt Sony would allow that however.

Top Bottom