• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

MScarpa

Very consumer friendly if true. What doesn't surprise me is seeing people both attack a timed exclusive and defend a company buying a whole studio.

Thing is, they can buy all the studios and will still be producing gamepass shovelware.
Don't be mad. Why should you care? You aren't going to buy a series X. HATER! LMAO

Neo_game

I don't think this rumor has any substance. 23 game studio I think is more than Sony and Nintendo put together. It is more than enough if they manage it properly. Only reason I can think of them expanding more is that they just want to have their games on GP as securing third party games is rather expensive and GP in it self is not making them any money.

You know why this is great? Because it's not like what EA or Activision does which is milk acquisitions for profitability. MS actually invests in and grows mid size studios allowing them stability and improving their quality and development resources and pairs it with marketing and publishing. Ultimately in the long run this will lead to better games. Even if they are just XBOX/PC.

Invalid GR

It's really surprising to see people support this kind of action from big companies. Fanboys cannot see beyond their noses. If all studios end up with MS or Sony in one way or another what's stopping them from charging double for gamepass, pricing games higher , making online connection obligatory etc...

Kagey K

Banned
It's really surprising to see people support this kind of action from big companies. Fanboys cannot see beyond their noses. If all studios end up with MS or Sony in one way or another what's stopping them from charging double for gamepass, pricing games higher , making online connection obligatory etc...

They already are one way or another with marketing deals and timed exclusives.

All this does is cut out the middle man.

Alx

I voted for the less likely (hence most entertaining if it happens), Sega, CDProjekt and Kojima Prod :p

ZywyPL

Banned
You idiots cheering for MS to buy up all the studios aren’t going to be so happy when game pass is the only way to play anything and it costs $60/month. That is their endgame.

Yes, I'll be very happy if more games will come to GP, even for 60$ which is less than all those 70€ games with either just SP or MP. Wonder what's the end game in those ones is, 100€ for just the opening credits and main menu?

SSfox

Whatever those 3 studio will be i think it's safe it say it will be more interesting than deal with Jade Raymond game, Bungie Gaas and another random shooter?

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
26 studios is a crazy amount. If they don't bring in the results, I suspect some of them won't survive this generation. I mean the studios are not the important part here. They want the IPs

video games sega GIF
That's a publisher, they have acquired 3 studios that's all.

Three

They already are one way or another with marketing deals and timed exclusives.

All this does is cut out the middle man.
😄 MS and Sony are the middlemen. The middleman is the one going around doing timed exclusives and buying studios.

I don't think this rumor has any substance. 23 game studio I think is more than Sony and Nintendo put together. It is more than enough if they manage it properly. Only reason I can think of them expanding more is that they just want to have their games on GP as securing third party games is rather expensive and GP in it self is not making them any money.
Matt Booty literally just said they are looking at acquiring more studio's, what more substance do you need?

martino

Nobody cares about Japan anymore. Money is in the U. S. and EU. Japan is DOA
You're confusing Japan market and Japan games...
The different games and genre your catalog the more people can please (especially with a service approach ala netflix)

Last edited:

sol_bad

Who cares if they have acquired more studios? Where are the games from the studios they purchased a year or two ago? We need to see what their quality is like before getting excited about more studio acquisitions.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Honestly, in all those acquisitions scenarios, MS is just the best of the worst. When they buy someone, their game will be available on PC, laptops, mobile, all XB consoles out there, whether by physical or digital distribution, GP or xCloud, so they will give you more choices than ever. If it's Sony then they'll lock everything behind they hermetic ecosystem where they can do whatever they want, like bumping the prices to 100€ and there's nothing you can do about it other than bow down and obey their rules. If it's EA, Ubi or Acti, they will milk the shit out of the studios and their franchises until both are dead, with EA actually being the obvious worst company in the entire industry, the less studios they own the better for everyone.

You idiots cheering for MS to buy up all the studios aren’t going to be so happy when game pass is the only way to play anything and it costs $60/month. That is their endgame.

Yes, I'll be very happy if more games will come to GP, even for 60$ which is less than all those 70€ games with either just SP or MP. Wonder what's the end game in those ones is, 100€ for just the opening credits and main menu?

Last edited:

Roberts

I met Major Nelson at Gears launch in Universal Studios with Cliffy B long long ago. Ive got major respect for him.
He's been doing this for a long time.

but as a fan
I hope to see Colt get a job with MS.

Man, I don’t know about that. Clearly, Hryb is a bit tired of it all and won’t be doing this for too long - in his video podcasts he seems to be half-listening and mostly just reading something on the internet, but I would rather see Rubenstein take over from him. He seems like a honestly charming, funny and smart guy. Nothing phoney about him and can’t really say that about Eastwood.

Greggy

If they reach their goal of releasing one first party AAA Game per quarter, they can double the price, IDGAF.
Exactly. We would be charged every quarter what Sony charges ud for ONE game and have access to a never ending well of first party bangers day one PLUS all the other games on game pass.
Instead of shitting their pants in this thread, PS owners should get ready to buy a game pass dongle for their tv. They'll probably be able to use their PS5 controller. Microsoft is "anti-consumer" and "monopolistic" like that.

MOTM

Banned
Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
Yeah i wonder what they have in mind regarding release schedules etc. i would think 23 studios is more than enough to be pumping out an exclusive every +/- 2 months.

Loope

Yeah i wonder what they have in mind regarding release schedules etc. i would think 23 studios is more than enough to be pumping out an exclusive every +/- 2 months.
That was what i was thinking. To me it's the same, because i play on pc and i'll play the games either way. I actually thought that 23 was more than enough if they are properly spread out.

kuncol02

Banned
Kojima (or FROM), Atlus and Bluepoint would melt internet.
Realistically it could be Avalanche which have relationship with Zenimax, their last games were not really well received and actually is group of three different studios.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They need to demonstrate they are capable of managing what they've got before they load more onto their plate.
Because lets be honest, Series S/X output has been basically non-existent so far.

HoofHearted

They’re not going to stop until they get to 42.

Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
i doubt they need them but they have the money to throw at it so why not? if i were sony i'd not be sitting about after "winning" last gen i'd be pushing on to make sure i could keep hold of all those playstation fans and stay as far ahead of MS as possible. Sony need to watch out for MS cause if they aren't careful they might just find themselves behind and playing catch up.

mark my words, MS has the money to scoop up all kinds of studios and play the long game. you all might jest that "MS has no games!!" but when they start coming I hope Sony can match the quality and output. I doubt it though. There is only so far games like TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, GT will go. I don't see Sony buying up studios at the scale MS are so they must feel pretty confident in what they already have. If Sony are caught out it will take them years to catch up.

Top Bottom