• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa Corporation acquires ACQUIRE

Kadokawa-ACQUIRE_02-08-24_Visual-768x432.jpg

Kadokawa Corporation has acquired Octopath Traveler series developer ACQUIRE from GungHo Online Entertainment, the company announced.

“To strengthen the ability to create IP in games as part of our game business strategy, we have made ACQUIRE Corp. into a wholly owned subsidiary,” the company said in its earnings results for the three months ended December 31, 2023.

“By acquiring the company, which has produced million-seller hit titles, we expect to generate synergies with our existing game-related subsidiaries, strengthen our planning and development capabilities Groupwide, and enhance our lineup of console games.”
ACQUIRE was founded in 1994, and develops and markets original game titles for consoles, as well as engages in contract development. In addition to the Octopath Traveler series for Square Enix, the company also developed the Tenchu and Way of the Samurai series, which are owned by Kadokawa Group subsidiaries FromSoftware and Spike Chunsoft, respectively. Its most well known self-published series is Akiba’s Trip.
Kadokawa-ACQUIRE_02-08-24_Slide-768x432.jpg

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
A long time ago I thought SCEJ should buy Acquire, funny that they've been purchased by Kadokawa who I wouldn't be surprised if SIE or Sony Corp purchases in the next fiscal year.
SIE would not acquire Kadokawa. Most of their assets and subsidiaries are not gaming related.

As for Sony itself, they already own a very small stake in the company. But a big part of why Sony still exists today is because back on 2012 when Kaz Hirai took over, they made a point of trimming a lot of fat and became a much more focused company. Acquiring Kadokawa outright with all its assets in a bunch of different industries wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I do think they form a closer partnership though.

Ar¢tos

SIE would not acquire Kadokawa. Most of their assets and subsidiaries are not gaming related.

As for Sony itself, they already own a very small stake in the company. But a big part of why Sony still exists today is because back on 2012 when Kaz Hirai took over, they made a point of trimming a lot of fat and became a much more focused company. Acquiring Kadokawa outright with all its assets in a bunch of different industries wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Kadokawa is worth around 3bn, there are higher chances of Sony increasing their ownership of FromSoftware than buying Kadokawa (Sony owns a small percentage of Both Kadokawa and FromSoftware).

Although Sony could easily integrate the non gaming parts of Kadokawa into other Sony divisions.

Aquire are great. I enjoy the stuff they’ve been putting out lately, but I miss their older work like Tenchu, Shinobido etc

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Man, imagine what Tenchu VR could be like. Literally hiding in shadows, and objects. Performing the motions for executions….damn

Exentryk

They are a great developer as evident from Octopath games. Hopefully there won't be too much disturbance with the change of ownership in producing future games.

graywolf323

the other assets are exactly why Kadokawa would be a prime target for Sony, they have a lot of cross-media properties which is what Sony’s been looking to get more of, it would boost their anime & manga properties

I’d rather Kadokawa stay independent especially since I’m not sure how Sony would really handle Spike Chunsoft, but it’s not like Kadokawa is big into pachinko which likely wouldn’t appeal to Sony

near

Gold Member
I'm okay with this if Kadokawa funds polished new installments of Shinobido and Way of the Samurai.

Top Bottom