• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: 'In addition to Project Mara, Ninja Theory's next game has already been greenlit. There are no plans whatsoever to close the studio'

Via Jez Corden:
Some people on social media have been trying to spin the message as a negative, given Microsoft's recent closures of studios like Tango Gameworks. With some extrapolating that Ninja Theory, as a "smaller" team within the Microsoft pantheon, may be targeted by Microsoft cost-cutters in the financial suite. However, we can confirm via our trusted sources that, in addition to Project Mara, Ninja Theory's next game has already been greenlit. There are no plans whatsoever to close the studio any time soon.

ARK1391

I'm not saying they are going to close them, although I do believe by this time next year they will be gone. Microsoft wouldn't tell people the studio is going to close right before their game drops. They've shown they are pretty tone deaf lately, but that would be some next level stupidity.

edit:
Also, you can greenlight a project and still close a studio. Greenlighting a game doesn't mean anything these days.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The Game Awards Viking GIF by Xbox

I think we can all assume this is going to be a financial flop one way or another, whether it reviews well or not (though even that has significant red flags).

For a game in development as long as it has been to have no return... No one at the studio including the studio head knows if they are safe and neither does Phil Spencer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This should be enough proof that you shouldn't believe what any of these people say.

Austin and Tnago were closed when they specifically pitched and wanted to staff up. If NT has already approved their pitch, it's not the same case.

What the fuck is going on at Microsoft that they have to announce this before launch?

Microsoft didn't announce this.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
if you’re going to close a division down and lay people off, you keep that plan tightly under wraps until the day it’s announced.

Not saying Ninja Theory is definitely getting shut down, but if they were, very few people know about it, and they’re going to keep on developing whatever they were developing up until that announcement is made.

Mortisfacio

Banned
There were no plans to kill Arkane a year ago either

Too many people view the Arkane Austin studio that got closed as Arkane as a whole or even the Austin team that made Prey. The lead devs behind prey all left.

Austin that made Redfall was a diverse dev team that was creatively bankrupt. No idea why people tore apart Redfall (rightfully so) are now so confused why they were shut down.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Let's not pretend plans could be thrown out the window once Hellblade 2 tanks, which is looking very likely.

It sounds like he's trying to convince himself into thinking this is a plan written in stone.
It’s amazing how Hellblade went from a work of art “indie AAA” game nearly universally praised to being total shit in just a few years.

Mortisfacio

Banned
It’s amazing how Hellblade went from a work of art “indie AAA” game nearly universally praised to being total shit in just a few years.

Hellblade was console exclusive to PlayStation for like 6 months before coming to Xbox. Hellblade 2 is now Microsoft exclusive (with no confirmed, but potential later release to PlayStation). So people have to pretend they now hate this game.

yazenov

he is doing damage control. and he is dumb enough to not see how he is being used by MS PR.
With a portfolio like this, I'm surprised they haven't shut down already. Their last "hit" was Hellblade in 2017, 7 years ago.

Bleeding Edge was a huge flop in 2020 (perfect for Game Pass). Their next game is 4 years later and is kind of a short indie game. If it's a sales disappointment then I don't blame MS for giving them the boot.

2017DexedMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4
Hellblade: Senua's SacrificeMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
2018Nicodemus: Demon of EvanishmentLocation-based VR experience[45]
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VRMicrosoft Windows
2019A Star Wars VR Series: Vader Immortal – Episode IOculus Quest,[46] Oculus Rift
2020Bleeding EdgeMicrosoft Windows, Xbox One
2024Senua's Saga: Hellblade IIMicrosoft Windows, Xbox Series X/S

Last edited:

leizzra

Greenlighting a project doesn’t mean that this project will be made and done. It only means that for now they can work on it. Even when you have a deal signed it may change during development. And we should remember Microsoft’s Fable Legends and Scalebound. Only time will tell.

Too many people view the Arkane Austin studio that got closed as Arkane as a whole or even the Austin team that made Prey. The lead devs behind prey all left.

Austin that made Redfall was a diverse dev team that was creatively bankrupt. No idea why people tore apart Redfall (rightfully so) are now so confused why they were shut down.

I was referring to Arkane Austin

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Exactly. How can anyone even care what MS says at this point they are liars.
I think that's fair. But now we know that they have 2 more games already in the pipeline.

Ball is in the hands of consumers now. If you want to see these, buy their game or sub. Really that simple. Don't take MS word for it, either play the game or don't. $50 discount price at launch, or just rent it. And I'm sure it'll be on PS5 too. There is literally zero excuse. Consumers will decide what happens.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think that's fair. But now we know that they have 2 more games already in the pipeline.

Ball is in the hands of consumers now. If you want to see these, buy their game or sub. Really that simple. Don't take MS word for it, either play the game or don't. $50 discount price at launch, or just rent it. And I'm sure it'll be on PS5 too. There is literally zero excuse. Consumers will decide what happens.

I'm subbing via doritos.

Tiffany Pollard Eating GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
Glad you mentioned this, cause AA's next project was thought to be green lit too when they were closed.

Someone should remind Jez that studios with green lit games get them cancelled and their studio closed out of nowhere. This is not at all the safety net he thinks it is.

It's wild to me that based on everything we've seen with these layoffs, closures, and cancellations, that people still believe there are rules to this shit.

Shin-Ra

So let’s say they’re making Kung Fu Chaos 2 and I want to play that but not Hellblade II. I have to buy two games to (maybe, eventually) get the one I want.

Speaking of which:
Kung Fu Chaos was a commercial disappointment upon release. In European sales charts, the title peaked at 6 for Xbox titles, and 36 for combined full price games.[13] Writing for Games Industry, Rob Fahey stated that the title "didn't shift any units" and the game was a "retail failure."[14] Antoniades stated that the game "tanked at retail" as it had a limited marketing budget with "no ads (and) no support",[2] a position shared by outlets including Kristan Reed for Eurogamer, who speculated that Kung Fu Chaosexperienced low sales "given the fact it has devoted a slim marketing budget to the title."[13]

Top Bottom