• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: 'In addition to Project Mara, Ninja Theory's next game has already been greenlit. There are no plans whatsoever to close the studio'

Darsxx82

I don't know, but my feeling reading this thread and Twitter is that there are a lot of people wanting MS to close NT. There is no other reason for such insistence on reaffirming the possibility that MS closes a Studio whose capacity, value of its games and productivity are then criticized by the same people🙃

It's like: "NT is a disaster and not at all productive that makes niche games that no one likes and are not profitable..." and then it's: "Poor NT, MS doesn't trust the Studios it buys and only thinks about firing and reduce costs by destroying the creativity of Studios and developers"

It's as easy as waiting and seeing events in times where no editor's studio is safe. Imagine that in 2, 3 or 4 years NT is launching a new game and the discussion is whether MS should have closed it and not given it a new chance 🤷🏻

CamHostage

Can't speculate on fate beyond what's already been mentioned, but I am pretty convinced Project Mara isn't ever going to happen, if it's not already dead.

Mara was announced 4 years and generally no mention has been made since, it was an "experimental" shorter project but it's still taking a long time to get made, it seemed like an Antoniades pet/test project and he is gone, it may have gotten some charitable investment/writeoff from whatever the backer was for The Insight Project group but that was a while ago (and probably accomplished some of its mission in HB2, which covers some of the same ground of mental status anyway,) its possible that Mara is in the bankable Horror genre but otherwise there's not a clear answer of how it would sell, it's another new franchise and Xbox is having a hard enough time getting a second Hellblade to be noticed, descriptions seem to be even further from the action hits that MS we can assume bought NT mostly for (at least Hellblade has sword fights, even though some want them to play differently, ) it's experiments in photogrammetry and extreme resolution closeups are not as neat today, and just it's not making sense as the next major project after what was already an artsy-fartsy game here (even though HB2 still has potential to break theough like the first one did. )

Whatever friendly conditions there were for MS to greenlighting this 4 years ago have changed drastically since. Now, it's hard to think of how this project could be a survivor. (Or even should be? Would this really be heartbreaking if it ended up vaporware and Ninja Theory did something else instead?) I'm speculating here, but...

RIP Mara, 2020-??

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
NT is safe until MS pivots their next project into Gacha/GaaS/MMO/F2P.
Then the clock starts ticking down for next 2-3 years ...

bitbydeath

Yes because nothing leads to that conclusion.

Once you have confirmation that Jiz sourced Gaz for his news, come back then.
As I said, you can draw your own response from what was written.

You can read the above as a response to you or disregard it as though it were not written to you, even though I also used the words “As I said” which Gaz had replied to Jez.

iu

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As I said, you can draw your own response from what was written.

You can read the above as a response to you or disregard it as though it were not written to you, even though I also used the words “As I said” which Gaz had replied to Jez

No, you're just drawing a false parallel here.

Gaz's discord says hellblade 3 is 'under works' by name, if Jiz was sourcing it, his Windows Central article or tweet would have said the same.

Rockman33

With a portfolio like this, I'm surprised they haven't shut down already. Their last "hit" was Hellblade in 2017, 7 years ago.

Bleeding Edge was a huge flop in 2020 (perfect for Game Pass). Their next game is 4 years later and is kind of a short indie game. If it's a sales disappointment then I don't blame MS for giving them the boot.

2017DexedMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4
Hellblade: Senua's SacrificeMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
2018Nicodemus: Demon of EvanishmentLocation-based VR experience[45]
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VRMicrosoft Windows
2019A Star Wars VR Series: Vader Immortal – Episode IOculus Quest,[46] Oculus Rift
2020Bleeding EdgeMicrosoft Windows, Xbox One
2024Senua's Saga: Hellblade IIMicrosoft Windows, Xbox Series X/S
If that was what should happen then we would have never gotten helldivers 2.

Also how is this sort of a indie game? Because it’s short?

semiconscious

Gold Member
With a portfolio like this, I'm surprised they haven't shut down already. Their last "hit" was Hellblade in 2017, 7 years ago.

Bleeding Edge was a huge flop in 2020 (perfect for Game Pass). Their next game is 4 years later and is kind of a short indie game. If it's a sales disappointment then I don't blame MS for giving them the boot.

2017DexedMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4
Hellblade: Senua's SacrificeMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
2018Nicodemus: Demon of EvanishmentLocation-based VR experience[45]
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VRMicrosoft Windows
2019A Star Wars VR Series: Vader Immortal – Episode IOculus Quest,[46] Oculus Rift
2020Bleeding EdgeMicrosoft Windows, Xbox One
2024Senua's Saga: Hellblade IIMicrosoft Windows, Xbox Series X/S
the good news? with media molecule still around, none of these other contenders can ever be labeled as 'the least productive game studio'...

Last edited:
Hellblade was console exclusive to PlayStation for like 6 months before coming to Xbox. Hellblade 2 is now Microsoft exclusive (with no confirmed, but potential later release to PlayStation). So people have to pretend they now hate this game.

You mean like how you're pretending that the original hellblade was some universally praised, megahit with ps4 players? And not the niche, sub 10 hour game with almost no gameplay that it was in reality?
This game, along with Redfall got promoted and pitched to the xbox fanbase because of the terrible state of xboxs first party for the last 10 years or so.

Last edited:

Perrott

I hope they show something from Mara - or even shadowdrop it - at the Xbox Showcase.

A P.T. style experimental psychological horror game has a hell of a lot more potential than the creatively bankrupt sequel to Hellblade that didn't seem to have evolved the original's formula in any significant way.

Roberts

If I was running a game studio and people on twitter and forums would predict its closure by the end of the year, I would probably make a jokey post like NT did. Some pro level trolling and good for engagement.

Anyway, can't wait to witness H2 later today!

acm2000

Ninja Theory are perfect game pass studio, only around 80 Devs producing incredible looking experiences for relatively little money, they are not a AAA studio.

midnightAI

Ninja Theory are perfect game pass studio, only around 80 Devs producing incredible looking experiences for relatively little money, they are not a AAA studio.
Yes they are, they produce AAA quality games, same with Housemarque since being bought by Sony. Returnal is a AAA game and so is Hellblade 2

In fact, before they got bought by MS they even called themselves 'independent AAA'

Edit: and Hellblade 2 took longer to make than Returnal and will have had a much bigger budget

Last edited:

midnightAI

I was trying to come up with some kind of James Bond joke to work in there, about 'I expect you to die Mr Bond' but couldnt get it to work right, so well played :)

Edit:
Bond: 'So will Ninja Theory stay open?'
Spencer: 'No, Mrs Bond, I expect it to die'

No? ok, I tried

(editted again, makes more sense in regards to the Bond films)

Last edited:

Filben

"No plans" means no plans today. PRspeak is only valid in that minute. For very short time periods we have a saying in German: from 12pm to noon ("von 12 bis Mittag"). That's exactly how long I believe their statement is true.

acm2000

Yes they are, they produce AAA quality games, same with Housemarque since being bought by Sony. Returnal is a AAA game and so is Hellblade 2

In fact, before they got bought by MS they even called themselves 'independent AAA'

Edit: and Hellblade 2 took longer to make than Returnal and will have had a much bigger budget
you clearly have a different definition of "AAA"

laynelane

It's notable that this kind of reassurance is being put out there at this time - instead of solely focusing on the release of HB2. Consolidating so many studios under one mantle has been just as worrying and disappointing as many of us thought it would be.

mdkirby

Doesn’t mean much. Greenlit games are cancelled all the time. Hell, some games get cancelled not far from release after years of development because “market conditions” mean they determine it’s not worth the marketing spend and would rather have a tax write off.

But the experts on GAF say they’re getting shut down any day now, that their unreleased Hellblade sequel is already a complete flop. GAF wrong on Xbox?

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF
If you mean GAF Xbox fans have been wrong, then you would be right. Let's just go over a few off the top of my head.

Power Gap
Series X Crushing in DF Comparisons
Series S Being a Bright Move
Halo Infinite Turning Things Around
Bethesda Purchase Being A Huge Boost To Xbox
Redfall Turning Things Around
Starfield Being GOTG/Turning Things Around
GamePass Being A Huge Success/The Future
GamePass Helping Game Sales
ABK Purchase Being A Huge Boost To Xbox
Xbox Exclusives Not Coming To PS5
Xbox Not Going Full 3rd Party (Pending)

It's funny how neutral gamers and PS fans have been more accurate about Xbox than their actual diehard fans. I guess that's what happens when you actually look at the signs around you and not believe whatever PR your fave company feeds you, regardless of how many times they have lied.

Top Bottom