• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft dropping hints that it’s thinking about bringing Xbox Quick Resume or something similar to Windows

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've never had a blue screen on my pcs of the last 5 years but they are high spec. Windows has worked for me, and I have zero problems with the xbox app for gamepass stuff. Maybe I'm lucky

I would already be happy if a game would not insist on telling me over and over again its own title, that it is made with engine whatever and if I want to continue. Button 1/A/X/start should be continue (load last save) and only B/circle should be load game to menu (and this also without the useless one time only intros).
Make the start less annoying and slow, then I don't need QR or sleep modes.

Ozriel

M$FT
I would already be happy if a game would not insist on telling me over and over again its own title, that it is made with engine whatever and if I want to continue. Button 1/A/X/start should be continue (load last save) and only B/circle should be load game to menu (and this also without the useless one time only intros).
Make the start less annoying and slow, then I don't need QR or sleep modes.

Quick Resume, like a save state, goes far beyond just quick loads.

Lasha

Strange, that you say what it is and then what it isn't all at once.

QR is just a RAM dump. Simple as that. The difference between PS and Xbox, is that PS is just keeping one game in RAM even in rest mode, whereas QR allows you to dump your RAM game state to the SSD for I think 5 games. This is why the XBS consoles have such a large OS reservation from the SSD. The reason Sony isn't doing it is because they didn't want to use up SSD space.

Xbox games run in hyperv vm so you're both correct. Quick Resume is technically just a VM snapshot which is basically a dump of the running VM to storage.

Quick Resume, like a save state, goes far beyond just quick loads.
sure, but writing GBs of data over and over on an SSD is hardly something I absolutely want for its longevity's sake, as I said: if they cut the crap at launch I don't need some fancy save state and it would be a super easy improvement, needing basically nothing, just registering a played already once =1 for intros and we are good to go.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Xbox games run in hyperv vm so you're both correct. Quick Resume is technically just a VM snapshot which is basically a dump of the running VM to storage.
But windows doesn't run games within a VM like the Series consoles, and PCs have system RAM plus graphics RAM to worry about.
This is definitely a lot more complex on PCs than it is on the Series Consoles.

Besides, I have 128GB system RAM and a GPU with 16GB. Is such a feature going to use 144GB of storage in my case? And if so, dumping all that memory into a SSD is going to take quite a long time, both at saving and at loading.

And then there's definitely all those DRMs that probably compare game vs system timestamps and would break the games from working.

Astray

Gold Member
My one and only purchase in Microsoft Store stopped working randomly after a short time.

Good try Microsoft, but I ain't trusting my hard drive and dollars to your store again.

reksveks

Besides, I have 128GB system RAM and a GPU with 16GB. Is such a feature going to use 144GB of storage in my case?
You would probably need a system to limit/control the amount of system ram, the application would have. It's a solvable problem.

sure, but writing GBs of data over and over on an SSD is hardly something I absolutely want for its longevity's sake, as I said: if they cut the crap at launch I don't need some fancy save state and it would be a super easy improvement, needing basically nothing, just registering a played already once =1 for intros and we are good to go.
More options is good for everyone. I do think there is some commercial issues but I also think a more used and detail launch options would be good for xcloud as well. The only reason I want quick resume is for the potential option to have it synced in the cloud.

Lasha

But windows doesn't run games within a VM like the Series consoles, and PCs have system RAM plus graphics RAM to worry about.

Besides, I have 128GB system RAM and a GPU with 16GB. Is such a feature going to use 144GB of storage in my case? And if so, dumping all that memory into a SSD is going to take quite a long time, both at saving and at loading.

And then there's definitely all those DRMs that probably compare game vs system timestamps and would break the games from working.

Lord knows how the feature gets implemented on PC. Consoles reserve 200GB for OS and Quick Resume. The only way Microsoft gets this done is through some form of containerization to mimic consoles and even then it would probably be limited to Xbox store games.

I don't think the feature is as interesting on PC. Most games load pretty quickly and there's only a handful of times where I don't have time to smash quicksave or similar.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Resume what? Games?.....lol

Just focus on releasing some good games please.......any good games.......ONE good game......

Mr.Phoenix

I am aware that Xbox is using HyperV. And that's just so it can do things like Xbox BC with ease. Has nothing to do with how QR works. QR is just a memory dump. The OS, dumping the RAM in the SSD doesn't care what is in the RAM.

I don't know why we are making this sound more complicated than it is. This will work no differently from paging in windows or using the SSD as virtual RAM. Only difference is that this would be more surgical.

Windows is or has added a task manager dedicated to games, so something like this would just dump everything that has to do with the game you are suspending from RAM to a paging file in the SSD. If anything the problem would be how big of a file that would be and the fact that there are two RAM pools in PCs. Cause we are talking about evacuating not just the data in the CPU RAM but also that in the GPU RAM too.

Lasha

I am aware that Xbox is using HyperV. And that's just so it can do things like Xbox BC with ease. Has nothing to do with how QR works. QR is just a memory dump. The OS, dumping the RAM in the SSD doesn't care what is in the RAM.

I don't know why we are making this sound more complicated than it is. This will work no differently from paging in windows or using the SSD as virtual RAM. Only difference is that this would be more surgical.

Windows is or has added a task manager dedicated to games, so something like this would just dump everything that has to do with the game you are suspending from RAM to a paging file in the SSD. If anything the problem would be how big of a file that would be and the fact that there are two RAM pools in PCs. Cause we are talking about evacuating not just the data in the CPU RAM but also that in the GPU RAM too.

*Scratches head* what do you think a dump of virtual memory from a running virtual machine is called? Quick Resume works because of the virtualization. PS5 would have the same feature if it was as simple as dumping the ram to storage.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I don't think the feature is as interesting on PC. Most games load pretty quickly and there's only a handful of times where I don't have time to smash quicksave or similar.
It's definitely very interesting for PC, especially today that we have so many games with annoying shader compilation waiting screens every time we run the game.
Even more so on handheld gaming PCs, where these waiting times might be the difference between being able to play the game or not.

If it was that easy, it probably would have been implemented already.

Windows is or has added a task manager dedicated to games, so something like this would just dump everything that has to do with the game you are suspending from RAM to a paging file in the SSD.
And how do you know what tasks have to do with the game? There are tons of tasks constantly running parallel to the game's executable like DRMs, launchers, anti-cheats, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Resume what? Games?.....lol

Just focus on releasing some good games please.......any good games.......ONE good game......

This is about a feature that - if it pans out - will impact all games running on Windows. Games from Steam, EGS…whatever. What does this have to do with MS first party?

Haven’t seen a take this inane in ages.

Mr.Phoenix

It's definitely very interesting for PC, especially today that we have so many games with annoying shader compilation waiting screens every time we run the game.
Even more so on handheld gaming PCs, where these waiting times might be the difference between being able to play the game or not.

If it was that easy, it probably would have been implemented already.

And how do you know what tasks have to do with the game? There are tons of tasks constantly running parallel to the game's executable like DRMs, launchers, anti-cheats, etc.
Hence why I said more surgical. Windows can detect what the parent folder of any app/task that is running on the system. QR on windows can have flags that would group such things.

I mean, you do realize that right now, when you hibernate your PC its RAM contents are being saved to the storage drive right?

And this whole if it was that easy it would have been done thingy... there are tons of stuff that are super easy but was never done either because no one just though of it, it wasn't a priority or it was considered to be redundant. And some of you are talking about the easiest part of implementing this thing which isn't even the part that would make its implementation tricky.

Furthermore, any competent OS... hell even apps running on your OS does it, canopy its RAMcntets toa paging file in the HDD/SSD. Your web browser doing it as you read this.

Top Bottom