• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements

kingfey

Banned
No they don't. Their promise was primarily around PS, no PC.
They will do the same as they did with Deathloop.

The SP mode of COD is the anomaly here.

Warzone has COD name, and that would be supported for Ps systems.

The SP mode after 2025 is unclear. Unless Sony and FTc write contractual agreement with MS, they would not be required to put that those on PS systems.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You mean the direction you HOPE Microsoft goes lol.

No one should be using this statement, meant for regulatory approval purposes regarding the Activision deal, to somehow claim that all Bethesda games are also going to Playstation. You mad? Hell, by extension, if my understanding of what you're saying is correct, then you assume all Xbox Game Studios titles, Halo included, will go to Playstation as well? Not happening. Microsoft isn't even going to make all Activision games multi-platform. Blizzard's survival title is most likely going to be Xbox exclusive.

And we'll just see how things play out moving forward. I'm not convinced COD truly says multi-plat for good, though it would be smart financially. Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 make sense to just drop on Playstation. In the short term it just makes a crap ton of sense to get all that money that they can get from COD, and that they'll make with Diablo IV, Overwatch 2, Warzone 2, Warzone etc.
Wallet garden, doesn't mean putting your products on other consoles.

You guys are so hopeless about this one.

They have windows for god sake. They don't need SONY systems. Get it.
They still can't give a single reason why a company would abandon a successful business for one that will never be as successful(and even if it did it won't come from turning your service into EA Play in a console). Just more "this is the future" and their vision bullshit.

Last edited:
They will do the same as they did with Deathloop.

The SP mode of COD is the anomaly here.

Warzone has COD name, and that would be supported for Ps systems.

The SP mode after 2025 is unclear. Unless Sony and FTc write contractual agreement with MS, they would not be required to put that those on PS systems.

They didn't make these promises with the Bethesda acquisition.

This is a promise from MS to the FTC and the like. Not Sony. COD the franchise will be on PS, regardless of any contractual obligations. No sneaky caveats. It will remain on PS. That's what they've told them. They've left no room for them to assume any COD games will be exclusive. Singleplayer or otherwise.

MS can obviously still do a 180 and make COD exclusive, but if they do that then they've broken that promise. There are no two ways about it.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They didn't make these promises with the Bethesda acquisition.

This is a promise from MS to the FTC and the like. Not Sony. COD the franchise will be on PS, regardless of any contractual obligations. No sneaky caveats. It will remain on PS. That's what they've told them. They've left no room for them to assume any COD games will be exclusive. Singleplayer or otherwise.

MS can obviously still do a 180 and make COD exclusive, but if they do that then they've broken that promise. There are no two ways about it.
I would give you easy analogy.

Consider Sony bought Activision. Would Sony make CoD exclusive, or would they make it multiplatform?

kingfey

Banned
They still can't give a single reason why a company would abandon a successful business for one that will never be as successful(and even if it did it won't come from turning your service into EA Play in a console). Just more "this is the future" and their vision bullshit.
Businesses operate on a core mission. You take that away, and they are nothing.

If EA abandons their PC store, they would lose alot of money. Their EA play and EA premier is generating alot of money from PC section.
That is what Xbox is to MS. You take that away, and they are nothing.

I would give you easy analogy.

Consider Sony bought Activision. Would Sony make CoD exclusive, or would they make it multiplatform?

If Sony made a blog post addressed to regulatory bodies and specifically stated COD would remain on Xbox, then yes I would believe them

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
No fucking around with cross gen Forza Horizon. Go work on Fable right away. No bleeding edge bs. No outer worlds B game. No one wants a game like that from a first party. Just make next gen AAA GOTY caliber shit right away. 3 years shouldve been enough time with a large team that surely MS can afford.
Oh you mean asking studios that you acquired to abandon the work they have put into other projects? Bleeding Edge and Outer Worlds were already far in to development when they were acquired and Outer Worlds already had a publishing partner.
The fact that Ninja Theory and obsidian havent released any next gen games is on Phil Spencer or whoever is running their studios nowadays.
How long do you think game development takes? Name one AAA first party game releasing in 2020-2022 that was made withing 3 years built completely from the scratch and not on top of an existing AAA game like (Doom 2016 -> Doom Eternal) or (Gears 4 -> Gears 5).

kingfey

Banned
If Sony made a blog post addressed to regulatory bodies and specifically stated COD would remain on Xbox, then yes I would believe them
Great. Then, MS would have no issue in doing that.
For me, they will do it, not because of money, but because of gamepass. Since Sony 70$ price is their biggest weakness. This will drive those gamers to their ecosystem.

I just hope Sony does the same for spiderman, but that is another topic though.

Swift_Star

Banned
The first step to that would be Game Pass actually generating enough to make Xbox platform revenue irrelevant, so like 200 million subs like Netflix. As it stands Game Pass barely makes profit. No one abandons a successful business for some projection of another business. If it can't do those numbers from PC, then it can't do that from abandoning your successful platform where you get all that revenue from 30% cuts to be in the mercy of another platform where instead of hundreds of games its just your own games like EA Play or uplay and they get the 30% revenue on top of that. Game Pass won't work unless its done by a platform holder who can negotiate with various devs and publishers and they control all the channels of revenue. To think they will turn it into something like EA Play offering only first party titles and giving 30% cut to another platform completely abandoning your own successful platform and the revenue it generates is laughable. If you didn't get it they will never be close to their current revenue in that route. Netflix is its own platform, their content is not tied to content from another platform like EA Play in consoles.

Yeah, MS vision is to lower their gaming revenue to make some console warriors in gaming forums happy. What was the big source of revenue they abandoned by publishing Office on Mac?
Is MS lowering their revenue by putting office on chromebooks and Macs?

Lupin25

Spider-Man 2 by Treyarch was considered the best superhero game ever before Arkham ANYTHING would release and change the narrative 15 years later.

While I enjoyed that game and rented it MANY times from the now defunct “Blockbuster”, that was in 2004 lol.

I was thinking something more modern and relevant with today’s hardware.

Last edited:

DJ12

Please list the years xbox has turned a profit.

Xbox is not a successful business for Ms, its a cash vacuum. Hence gamepass being the new hope to finally get some money coming in.

This model needs interested parties.

Console players spend more on products than pc gamers.

It's a fact that Ms want gamepass on PlayStation and switch.

But there's no point arguing with deluded fanboys. If you're still here when your dreams are shattered, we'll all offer you a shoulder to cry on.

zedinen

Will Lina Khan and her colleagues be up to the task?

Activision trades at a big discount

The high cash generation of Big Tech monopolies enables them to buy competitive industries, where the largest companies face stiff competition, make modest profits and have relatively small market caps.

Regulators have to stop the 'Frightful Five', already more powerful than most nations, before the global economy becomes a huge cartel.

In this particular case, Microsoft has invested $80 billion in 15 months, which dwarfs the combined free cash flows of PlayStation, Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, EA and Take-Two in the 2010s, in order to become the #1 video game company in NA, and the #1 publisher in EU (smh) and NA.

Slowing down Microsoft and its Big Tech peers will only prolong the agony. If regulators don't step up and put an end to this nonsense, the best case scenario would be a string of M&A between the largest video-game companies in order to stop the Big Tech. Either way, gamers will be the biggest losers.

Who wants Playtendo, Nincent or Play-Two? I don't.

Will Lina Khan and her colleagues be up to the task?

Activision trades at a big discount

The high cash generation of Big Tech monopolies enables them to buy competitive industries, where the largest companies face stiff competition, make modest profits and have relatively small market caps.

Regulators have to stop the 'Frightful Five', already more powerful than most nations, before the global economy becomes a huge cartel.

In this particular case, Microsoft has invested $80 billion in 15 months, which dwarfs the combined free cash flows of PlayStation, Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, EA and Take-Two in the 2010s, in order to become the #1 video game company in NA, and the #1 publisher in EU (smh) and NA.

Slowing down Microsoft and its Big Tech peers will only prolong the agony. If regulators don't step up and put an end to this nonsense, the best case scenario would be a string of M&A between the largest video-game companies in order to stop the Big Tech. Either way, gamers will be the biggest losers.

Who wants Playtendo, Nincent or Play-Two? I don't.
Lmao what is this fantasy wish? Just accept it my guy you’ll be ok.

Xbox is not a successful business for Ms, its a cash vacuum. Hence gamepass being the new hope to finally get some money coming in.

But there's no point arguing with deluded fanboys. If you're still here when your dreams are shattered, we'll all offer you a shoulder to cry on.
Xbox was profitable a lot of years in the 360 era only years they weren’t in the black was the year the wrote the billion dollar check for RROD. So what exactly are you talking about you guys just talk without facts. It’s like you guys just wish your own scenarios as if we didn’t witness this happen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Some people in here really living with copium.

The contract doesn't say not a single call of duty may be exclusive.

Microsoft can release CoD Warzone 2 on playstation and keep the main line game on xbox and pc. That wouldn't break the promise.

Look at it this way. Microsoft makes a new call of duty mobile game. Then the game HAS to come to PlayStation otherwise they'd break their contract. Because according to some of you any call of duty game has to come to PlayStation.

This is the Bethesda situation, where PlayStation gets Elder Scrolls Online but not the mainline elder scrolls or fallout.

Call of duty Warzone is Activisions Elder Scrolls Online.

Swift_Star

Banned

Totally agree. It’s simply really and walled gardens makes no sense for MS as a whole. Their apps are everywhere, why would the games not be?

Some people in here really living with copium.

The contract doesn't say not a single call of duty may be exclusive.

Microsoft can release CoD Warzone 2 on playstation and keep the main line game on xbox and pc. That wouldn't break the promise.

Look at it this way. Microsoft makes a new call of duty mobile game. Then the game HAS to come to PlayStation otherwise they'd break their contract. Because according to some of you any call of duty game has to come to PlayStation.

This is the Bethesda situation, where PlayStation gets Elder Scrolls Online but not the mainline elder scrolls or fallout.

Call of duty Warzone is Activisions Elder Scrolls Online.

If MS wanted regulators to understand that they'd possibly make mainline COD titles exclusive to xbox then they would specify that. They didn't

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements​

The Mike : " no..no..no...only warzone can comes to playstation or nintendo...microsoft cant allowed this to happen.."

Last edited:

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements​

The Mike : " no..no..no...only warzone can comes to playstation or nintendo...microsoft cant allowed this to happen.."
Except nowhere in the language does it say “released” at all. Which anyone who can read can plainly see.

At this point, I hope MS cancels COD just so these dumb threads will end.
Lol keep in mind that this is more about what infinity ward treyarch and sledgehammer will create next as these are a tier talented teams. They can’t make call of duty forever. People are losing sight of the incredible teams Xbox is getting that cab create new games. Raven high moon Benox and toys for bob are all great developers that will receive funding and development creativity.

You haven't watched the video so stop pretending you have
I actually watched the video plus the litmus of other podcasts he’s been on regurgitating the same thing. Again Microsofts not pulling any games off PlayStation and will continue to support the live service games on that platforms beyond that they don’t owe anything or have promised anything else. You’re just port begging.

kingfey

Banned

WTF is this retarded question?

MS Made $15b revenue in 2020, without releasing any big game, while Sony did tons of 1st party games, big timed exclusive, great console launch, big userbase, and managed to make $23b. That is just $8b higher, on Sony most successful year, over MS most shit year.

Hell, xbox is half of Playstation, and made that revenue in that state. Yet, you screaming here about not making profits. In that case, Playstation is the most unprofitable business for Sony according to you.

Also pc gamers spend more money, compared to console users. Pc guys don't buy disc. They buy digital, where publishers make alot of profits. Please educate yourself with that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Except nowhere in the language does it say “released” at all. Which anyone who can read can plainly see.

Microsoft President Brad Smith not only cod will continue on playstation wed like to bring it to nintendo

Xboxers : "GGRRHHRHR..GGRAUUHHH..GGRRRR..NOT COMING..IMPOSIBLE...GRRRAHHHH!!!!"

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Can new cod be able to support on Switch?

Only warzone comes to mind, since switch is weak, and can't handle current call of duty.

Last edited:
I actually watched the video plus the litmus of other podcasts he’s been on regurgitating the same thing. Again Microsofts not pulling any games off PlayStation and will continue to support the live service games on that platforms beyond that they don’t owe anything or have promised anything else. You’re just port begging.

In the video he addresses people like you as incredibly cynical

Mr Moose

Only warzone comes to mind, since switch is weak, and can't handle current call of duty.

Crash, maybe. That does well on Switch, right?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

It can handle Crysis remaster

If it can handle crysis it can handle cod

Lots of buthurt xboxers people here in denial despite theres already 2 thread ( including statement from ms president himself ) mentions the opposite

Last edited:

DJ12

Xbox was profitable a lot of years in the 360 era only years they weren’t in the black was the year the wrote the billion dollar check for RROD. So what exactly are you talking about you guys just talk without facts. It’s like you guys just wish your own scenarios as if we didn’t witness this happen.
OK fair point, 360 may have been profitable for a couple of years until they had to pay a massive bill that more than wiped out any profits they would ever make from the sale of the consoles.

Is this your I almost had you moment lol

Xbox almost made a profit until they didn't.

The_Mike

If MS wanted regulators to understand that they'd possibly make mainline COD titles exclusive to xbox then they would specify that. They didn't

Because it isn't relevant.

You guys are acting like any cod game has to come to PlayStation otherwise its not legal.

That's not how it fucking works. Then I will again refer to cod mobile 2 has to be made with a PlayStation in mind, because its illegal for them not to put it on playstation.

I'm sorry that you have reading comprehension.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sorry that you have reading comprehension.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Calverz

They absolutely can let it happen. It’s all money for Microsoft now.

The_Mike

The subject is about COD exclusivity on Xbox. How is that not relevant information to disclose?

Call of duty is more than just the mainline game.

Theres Warzone, and isn't it technically bigger than mainline game?

Anyway, I am not banking on it. I don't care either way as I'm going to play it on PC.

I'm just trying to make sense out of the deal, and there would not be any at all if they go multi platform still.

I'm just glad Sony didn't buy it since I probably won't be able to play it on PC then.

Call of duty is more than just the mainline game.

Theres Warzone, and isn't it technically bigger than mainline game?

Anyway, I am not banking on it. I don't care either way as I'm going to play it on PC.

I'm just trying to make sense out of the deal, and there would not be any at all if they go multi platform still.

I'm just glad Sony didn't buy it since I probably won't be able to play it on PC then.

Sure, but they're not addressing concerns of whether Warzone will go exclusive. They're addressing whether COD the franchise will

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Hopefully Microsoft will get rid of the engines crappy software VRS implementation and move to hardware Tier 2 so we actually get a constant 120fps.

Leyasu

Banned
I don’t want to jump in again, but one blog is not what they will be using to argue their case. Besides, the blog was about their store changes and how they will be more open. Not about cod.

Listen, they might keep it multi going forward, I am just not believing it 100% at the moment. I am certainly not basing my beliefs on a blog when we have no idea what they will present to the regulators. The promise of a franchise or two staying multi will not be the assurances that the regulators will want.

kingfey

Banned
It can handle Crysis remaster

If it can handle crysis it can handle cod

Lots of buthurt xboxers people here in denial despite theres already 2 thread ( including statement from ms president himself ) mentions the opposite
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It can't even handle control. How the hell do you expect it to handle next COD?

I don’t want to jump in again, but one blog is not what they will be using to argue their case. Besides, the blog was about their store changes and how they will be more open. Not about cod.

Listen, they might keep it multi going forward, I am just not believing it 100% at the moment. I am certainly not basing my beliefs on a blog when we have no idea what they will present to the regulators. The promise of a franchise or two staying multi will not be the assurances that the regulators will want.

That's fine. All i can really say then is if you believe in their transparency regarding their app store policies then it only makes sense to believe in the rest.

But we'll see anyway. Hopefully i've not been banned by then

kingfey

Banned
That's fine. All i can really say then is if you believe in their transparency regarding their app store policies then it only makes sense to believe in the rest.

But we'll see anyway. Hopefully i've not been banned by then
The reason why they aren't fully transparent future cod on PS systems is the next gen consoles.

They can support ps5. What about ps6, ps7. Would MS be obligated to support these systems?

COD would or could be on Ps5, from their commitment. But nothing after that.

That is the important thing, we need to look at.

The reason why they aren't fully transparent future cod on PS systems is the next gen consoles.

They can support ps5. What about ps6, ps7. Would MS be obligated to support these systems?

COD would or could be on Ps5, from their commitment. But nothing after that.

That is the important thing, we need to look at.

If we're to take what they're saying at face value yeah it would be all PS consoles going forward

Top Bottom