• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Bethesda purchased to be finalized today

Ar¢tos

Cool, would be nice if MS start to share their plans with all the studios going forward now.
Hopefully they make a priority to improve Bethesda Quality Control. In the past years it has been getting worse. Fallout76 was almost offensive.
I want TES6 to be relatively bug free at launch, not 2 years after.

onesvenus

I fail to read the word Xbox in that PDF... All it says is that Zenimax will become a division of MICROSOFT, not Xbox.
If it's not inside the Xbox division, it is not an Xbox studio, it's a MS studio inside Vault division.
That doesn't stop them doing exclusives if MS decides to or stop them from later being integrated into Xbox division.
The vault division doesn't exist, it was created to be merged with Zenimax because when a merger happens one of the two ceases to exist. It was the only way to keep Zenimax alive.
That doesn't imply anything regarding it being an Xbox studio or not.
Microsoft making a banner that says Xbox + Bethesda might give you some idea of what's happening

FritzJ92

If it's not inside the Xbox division, it is not an Xbox studio, it's a MS studio inside Vault division.
That doesn't stop them doing exclusives if MS decides to or stop them from later being integrated into Xbox division.
You have a lot of stuff Confused bro... Vault is a subsidiary purely created to close the deal and keeps MS out of liabilities, while honoring contracts, called revers triangular merger something of that sorts

MS>Xbox>>Xbox Game Studios>>>1P Devs (Bethesda falls under Xbox Games Studios, not Xbox Game Studios Publishing which deals with obtaining exclusive games)
|>>Xbox Game Studios Pubslishing> They focus on sourcing timed (or not) exclusives from 2nd or 3rd parties (Cup head/The Gunk/ExoMecha/The Medium)

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
They should release demos on the PS5 but not the full games.

f5e0265de9ff5bf8f6098e47dd8c7b76.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nice, good for Microsoft. Good for gamers. Maybe they'll make them redo their engine finally. Though I faintly remember them saying this was happening anyways.

Return on Investment can happen in different ways. Sure they could go the exclusive route. They may miss out on Sony userbase sales, but may make up for it in console sales and subsequent game sales and game pass subs from those new xbox users.

Likewise they could just make everything multi plat if they are comfortable in their console sales. Honestly, the only way they lose is if Bethesda drop a heaping pile of shit for games this gen.

Kagey K

Banned
If they go only Xbox and pc it's going to take 20 years or longer to break even on the sale.
Remember when everybody said MS overpaid for Mojang and they would never recoup that investment?

Besides what does it matter to you or me if they ever recoup the loss? They would have lost more, that could never be recovered had they just paid tax on the cash instead.

Last edited:

Burnttips

Does Microsoft itself not become more valuable when it absorbs Zenimax? It’s not like they burned a 7.5 billion pile of money and walked away with nothing.
They have to sell over 100 million games. How long do you think that's going to take? How many more gamepass subs does it create by itself? I don't think it fits with Xbox strategy to not put games out on PS. Games will have extras on Xbox. If you buy a home that takes 20 years to turn a profit you're a moron.

harmny

Banned
They have to sell over 100 million games. How long do you think that's going to take? How many more gamepass subs does it create by itself? I don't think it fits with Xbox strategy to not put games out on PS. Games will have extras on Xbox. If you buy a home that takes 20 years to turn a profit you're a moron.

then why don't ps put their games on xbox? they can make more money that way. bethesda games need to be ms exclusives.

Last edited:
Bro you have no clue what you are talking about. Do you realize that Zenimax is still worth billions of dollars? Do you think buying a publisher means the worth just evaporates?

They don't have to sell games. They have to sell subs. Nadellas and Phils bonus is directly tied to Game Pass numbers. Sad to say but unless you can get game pass on ps, you're shit out of luck.

Besides, Bethesda games sell best on PC so theyre covered.

Soulforge

Banned
One positive I do hope will come from this, is that Microsoft will turn around to Bethesda Game Studio's and tell them to ditch that horrible fucking game engine they claim isn't the problem to all their games.
Ditching the engine would not solve anything tbh. It's not the engine, it's what these specific devs can do with said engine. People also said diagonal running (Oblivion) or lack of real time ladders is also the engine. But diagonal running and ladders were never a problem in Divinity DKS (also on Gamebryo). Just hire better programmers. Hire system engineers to work full time on the engine alone. Rework the parts that are behind, overhaul, upgrade, you name it, but don't change the engine. It would be a huge mistake to start from scratch with id or Cryengine or whatever. No other engine does what their engine does. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying no other engine could do what their engine does, if it was reworked specifically for this purpose. The guys from id Software were 'in tha house' for a decade and couldn't help in this regard. They even went on record to say their engines don't work for what BGS does. Draw calls, item and npc tracking, modding. Modders would be raging if the new engine can't be modded to the same extent.

Last edited:

stitch1

If they go only Xbox and pc it's going to take 20 years or longer to break even on the sale.
That's not even close to true. As more people join Game Pass with a monthly subscription they make their money back pretty quickly. $15 a month times X amount of users = big money. Last time they spoke on it there were like 18million subs. Thats between $90,000,000 and $270,000,000 per month. With Bethesda they plan to grow that number quite a bit. What kind of money did Sony bring in from their biggest title? Because Xbox is doing close to that number monthly.

devilNprada

Bethesda already moved away from last gen (see Deathloop/Ghostwire). There are 4-5M PS5 out there vs 3-4M XSX + enough PC + cloud users to easily offset that number.

Best time to ditch ps5.

It was a general comon sense answer that had to do nothing with Xbox or playstation...

devilNprada

And I'm telling you that dropping 4M ps5 consoles is a lot easier than dropping 120M+ ps4 consoles.
A) I never mentioned Sony even once... Not sure your point?
B) Since you brought it up there are 4M playstations Now... How many out there at the end of the generation and TES has always been a franchise to sell for 10 years out.

I have always played TES on PC what does Sony have to do with anything.. I thought it was a conversation about investments..

Burnttips

That's not even close to true. As more people join Game Pass with a monthly subscription they make their money back pretty quickly. $15 a month times X amount of users = big money. Last time they spoke on it there were like 18million subs. Thats between $90,000,000 and $270,000,000 per month. With Bethesda they plan to grow that number quite a bit. What kind of money did Sony bring in from their biggest title? Because Xbox is doing close to that number monthly.
It's a bonus to have game pass give you a new game every 2 years that people will jump at the chance to get in. $15 dollars a month an my main reason to get GP was this? It ain't selling shit when it comes to GP and you know it.

Last edited:

Burnttips

then why don't ps put their games on xbox? they can make more money that way. bethesda games need to be ms exclusives.
Because they didn't offer the kind of money for their studios that MS just did. Why is Minecraft on ever device? Because they spent that kind of money. Sony seems to be moving games to PC to get more money.

B) Since you brought it up there are 4M playstations Now... How many out there at the end of the generation and TES has always been a franchise to sell for 10 years out.

I have always played TES on PC what does Sony have to do with anything.. I thought it was a conversation about investments..
You said they would cut out 50% of customers. Since Bethesda moved away from last gen they cut them out regardless.

So their total customer base is now 10M consoles + PC vs last gen 170M+ consoles + PC.

Losing 50% of customers now is a lot easier than a few years ago.

B) A sale on PS5 is worth a lot less than sale on Xbox or PC where they can tie you to their store/subscription. Using first party to build up a console/subscription base is literally what every successful platform holder does (gaming or movies).

FrankWza

Lilbro-itis. It’s a tough syndrome

This is the funniest troll I've read on here in a long time.

A for effort man, goddamn, you're good.

Derktron

Banned
They could happily afford that. It could also take a lot less time once all the Sony die hards go out and begrudgingly buy an Xbox.
Don’t forget PC, Microsoft cares more about software sales than hardware, they don’t care where the games end up being sold on. PC, Xbox or even on Xcloud. (In the future)

Last edited:

Renozokii

They don't have to sell games. They have to sell subs. Nadellas and Phils bonus is directly tied to Game Pass numbers. Sad to say but unless you can get game pass on ps, you're shit out of luck.

Besides, Bethesda games sell best on PC so theyre covered.
>Besides, Bethesda games sell best on PC so theyre covered.
Factually incorrect that Bethesda games sell more on pc.

Top Bottom