• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Bethesda purchased to be finalized today

Xenon

angry he man GIF

Sony fans right now.

Can't wait until they announce Skyrim 2 and Fallout 5 will come out on every system just like all the other games. Because they will. They were giving out free copies of Fallout with graphics cards. Shoveling Bethesda games onto every platform will continue. All that changes is now MS makes money from every sale.

Seriously, I have no idea why people think they bought these companies to sell LESS games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

For Playstation users, quite possibly.

lol could be both. Who knows how this deal turns out for them. I hope the do well under them as they are one of my favorite teams in gaming, but I feel this purchase under MS was needed with Amazon and Google out and about looking to buy up publishers, I trust MS more with this then them and MS has been making solid moves lately.

What I could say about MS 10 years ago, I can't say today. They are making smarter moves and do better every gen (not last gen, but in many areas they still did better). So I think MS is more open to allow their teams to have freedom to make new AAA concepts ala Sony Computer Entertainment and I believe them allowing them to publisher their own titles shows they are willing to give them that freedom.

I'm less worried about this deal then I would have been years ago as MS has shown they can change and they've been making moves to show they really do intend on making content and putting the fight to Sony compared to generations prior. Even in the WORST case scenario where Bethesda soft keeps failing and failing, MS now have a stable of fucking teams to help pick them up, they can have Obsidian do some titles or that Wasteland Team etc. MS is in a better position now then generations prior, that helps Bethesda too cause they have more help to not fail. Someone needs to take control over there lol

Last edited:
I see as no big loss tbh they not had a great game for years and deathloop what makes you think.it will good ??
industrial-salts-1590649036-5455206.jpg

Awesome news. I hope they soon clarify XGS policy on exclusives going forward soon. I'm anticipating some glorious meltdowns.

Anticipating? It's already happening :pie_roffles: , I'm getting so much mileage out of this salt image today.

Last edited:

Greggy

Can't wait until they announce Skyrim 2 and Fallout 5 will come out on every system just like all the other games. Because they will. They were giving out free copies of Fallout with graphics cards. Shoveling Bethesda games onto every platform will continue. All that changes is now MS makes money from every sale.

Seriously, I have no idea why people think they bought these companies to sell LESS games.
They bought them for Game Pass day one. And it has a lot less value being on GP day one if it's also on PS5 day one. I'm sure anybody can understand that.

There are two possible outcomes. Both will be a source of unlimited breakdowns and salt. Things should be interesting either way.

"Available only on Xbox and PC"

or

"Plays best on Xbox and PC, available day one on Gamepass, or available on PS5 for $70."

Which would be a worse situation for the PS5 and it's fanbase? A bunch of comparison videos where the Xbox version of every Zenimax title for the rest of the generation is running much better on the Series X and being available for "free" starting launch day, or just not being on the platform at all.

Majukun

because they didn't buy bethesda to sell games
they got them to buy some relevance

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Still a few small things to get finalized but yeah, the acquisition is basically done. I'm expecting a Microsoft press release on the 15th and shortly thereafter, an announcement that all future Bethesda games will be fully exclusive to Xbox/PC excluding Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

They bought them for Game Pass day one. And it has a lot less value being on GP day one if it's also on PS5 day one. I'm sure anybody can understand that.
So they will be on Game Pass day one. And you can also buy them for Playstation, PC, maybe even Switch. Or do you really think Microsoft will sacrifice potentially billions of dollars in sales to appease people that are already paying them, and will continue to pay for Game Pass whether the game is exclusive or not? Why would they do that? It just seems silly that Microsoft would buy these massively popular franchises, then decide, "You know what, even though Playstation has 64% market share worldwide, and we have Skyrim, DOOM, and Fallout games already on Nintendo systems, we won't sell those games. We are just going to cut our potential profits in half. We have to do it, because, uh, Gamepass."

Within two days of the game's launch, 3.4 million physical copies were sold. Of those sales, 59% were for the Xbox 360, 27% for the PS3, and 14% for the PC. In the first week of release, Bethesda stated that 7 million copies of the game had been shipped to retailers worldwide, and that total sales through the following Wednesday were expected to generate an estimated US$450 million. By December 16, 2011, this had risen to 10 million copies shipped to retail and around US$620 million. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrim#:~:text=That feeds the game for,sold over 30 million copies.

In less than a month Skyrim sold 10 million copies, earning $620 million. Playstation 3 sales alone accounted for $167 million.

You really think that Microsoft, who is already making billions of GP as is, will sacrifice hundreds of millions, maybe billions, in profits, "for Gamepass"? I don't see it.

Last edited:
So they will be on Game Pass day one. And you can also buy them for Playstation, PC, maybe even Switch. Or do you really think Microsoft will sacrifice potentially billions of dollars in sales to appease people that are already paying them, and will continue to pay for Game Pass whether the game is exclusive or not? Why would they do that? It just seems silly that Microsoft would buy these massively popular franchises, then decide, "You know what, even though Playstation has 64% market share worldwide, and we have Skyrim, DOOM, and Fallout games already on Nintendo systems, we won't sell those games. We are just going to cut our potential profits in half. We have to do it, because, uh, Gamepass."

In less than a month Skyrim sold 10 million copies, earning $620 million. Playstation 3 sales alone accounted for $167 million.

You really think that Microsoft, who is already making billions of GP as is, will sacrifice hundreds of millions, maybe billions, in profits, "for Gamepass"? I don't see it.
Nope, these will be exclusives buddy. Maybe timed exclusives at the least but MS would be foolish to spend all that money for non exclusives games.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

It's hard to imagine for sure...but it's not the first time this has happened. Morrowind was exclusive to Xbox...I think Oblivion was timed exclusive and horrible on PS3 at least initially. This all boils down to strategy. There are multiple ways Microsoft can make their money back. They could go the exclusive route, or they could go the multiplat route. To think there's only one way to skin this cat is folly.

Greggy

If the Bethesda business model was still profitable, Zenimax wouldn't have been for sale in the first place. Microsoft certainly didnt buy Zenimax just to take over their operations. They have their own studios and the Zenimax games were already all coming to Xbox. Thye could have moneyhatted a game here or there for a few millions if that was the strategy.
The acquisition was clearly the next step in Microsoft's Netflix of Games' strategy. Netflix could make more money buy putting Da 5 bloods on HBO. Exclusives are everything to a subscription service. Microsoft is selling game pass first, devices second.

bender

What time is it?
The acquisition was clearly the next step in Microsoft's Netflix of Games' strategy. Netflix could make more money buy putting Da 5 bloods on HBO. Exclusives are everything to a subscription service. Microsoft is selling game pass first, devices second.

That's my read too. TES and Fallout are massive names. Doom and Wolfenstein to a lesser extent. And then a stable of other quality IPs (Dishonored, Prey, etc.). It's a massive investment on Microsoft's part there is no better option for getting that many IPs in one fail swoop

SLB1904

Banned
You should have acted.

They're already here.

The Elder Fanboys told of their return.

Their moneyhatting of 3rd party games was merely a delay,

'Til the time after social media opened,

When the sons of Sony would spill their own blood.

But no one wanted to believe,

Believe they even existed.

And when the truth finally dawned,

It dawns in exclusives!

But, there is one they fear,

In their tongue he is Xbox Savior:

PHIL SPENCER!
Good lord

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Most likely they will be on Gamepass day one (will get new subscribers and new console adopters) then after 6-12 months then put on PS5 (then get sales from them).

Here's what you don't see: besides the fact Xbox accounted for the majority of those sales as mentioned, you also have to consider that if NO PS3 version were provided, there is very good likelihood that those players would have simply purchased the game on 360 or PC instead. At least some notable percentage of those PS3 purchases would've been out of convenience; considering how PS3 usually had the worst performing 3P games that gen, would be good impetus for some of them to just get the 360 or PC version if no PS3 version were made available. We certainly saw many PS3 owners get a 360 anyway for other major 3P AAA games that never got PS3 ports such as the Mass Effect games, for example.

Something else to remember; by providing these games on PS5, Microsoft loses 30% in profit (not revenue; literal profit) on each copy sold, they potentially lose a future Xbox Series console sale or PC sale (where if they go PC they would at least feel compelled to get latest version of Windows and DX12U compatible GPUs and API library), and perhaps most damning, lose a potential Gamepass subscription. Why? Because the type of gamers who usually buy big AAA WRPG games Day 1 are usually also the same type that don't have an issue paying full price Day 1 if that game's on their preferred platform out of convenience factor.

And, if that platform happens to be PS5, then that basically cuts Microsoft out of the loop in terms of maximizing long-term revenue and engagement with that user, because those two things become Sony's advantages instead. Another way of looking at it all is: if Microsoft simply wanted these games for Gamepass and didn't care about day-and-date on PS5 or timed exclusivity simply 6 months/1 year later to Sony's platform, why not literally just pay for the timed exclusivity and be done with it? Would have costed them much less than $7.5 billion and given similar results.

Outside of the occasional MMORPG stuff like Elder Scrolls Online, I think strictly ardent PlayStation-only fans (which would mean those with only a PS console; I'm pretty sure most PS people who even prefer the platform at least have a decent PC or an Xbox console, and definitely a mobile phone) need to accept the heightened probability that anything outside of ESO-type games or already-confirmed games going to PS5 (Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo) will very likely be Xbox/PC/Gamepass exclusive. Thankfully for them, they can use Gamepass & Xcloud on any number of smartphones, PCs, laptops etc.

A PlayStation (or Switch, for that matter) are absolutely at the bottom of that list of platform priorities in Microsoft's eyes for reaching a wide net of gamers, and fair enough. After all, I'm pretty sure Sony and Nintendo have Xbox at the bottom of their own list of platform priorities when it comes to spreading their 1P content to other platform ecosystems, and I see no problem there. Why is it always an issue when this common-sense conclusion is provided to Microsoft though? :pie_thinking: ...

If this does happen, then there will no longer be any arguments, MS will have cemented themselves as the nicest most self-sabotaging company in gaming.

Fixed ;)

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I didn’t claim it was smart, or good. Just if that’s the road they go (I don’t think they will) people won’t be able to hate them anymore.

That would be like hating puppies, and nobody can hate puppies. They just want to give you all the love they can for very little in return.

You know if Nintendo or Sony were in the same position there is no chance in hell you see them on other platforms (well except maybe Pc in Sony’s case.)

They are more like cats, and it’s Ok to hate cats. 😅

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Excited to see this go through, so we have something new to talk about.

I’m also still pissed about Sony’s lack of BC for PS1 and PS2, their treatment of Socom, their shutting down of servers, closing quality studios and losing good talent behind games like Motorstorm, DriveClub, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Gravity Rush.

A more even playing field may help

Kagey K

Banned
Excited to see this go through, so we have something new to talk about.

I’m also still pissed about Sony’s lack of BC for PS1 and PS2, their treatment of Socom, their shutting down of servers, closing quality studios and losing good talent behind games like Motorstorm, DriveClub, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Gravity Rush.

A more even playing field may help
MS has dragged them kicking and screaming well past their comfort zone in a few areas, and if I was a Sony fan I’d want to see them get beat a bit to force them to try something new.

On the other hand as an Xbox fan I want to MS be competitive, but still dragging behind to see what they try next. As a consumer MS has greatly benefitted me lately and I don’t want to see them pull ahead and lose that hungry edge. Like they did in the 360 days.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

nJgoklj.jpg

Well, that's not entirely true...

Microsoft won't be making much money from existing gamepass subscribers (unless they still need to buy DLC in games like ESO) . So the only revenue they will have coming in is from non-GP or other platforms . We may see some smaller titles be exclusive but the big names will all be released everywhere.

Microsoft won't be making much money from existing gamepass subscribers (unless they still need to buy DLC in games like ESO) . So the only revenue they will have coming in is from non-GP or other platforms . We may see some smaller titles be exclusive but the big names will all be released everywhere.
This is what happens when governments close down schools

Banjo64

cumsessed

So why haven’t Halo, Forza, Gears, Sea of Thieves or Ori come to PlayStation? Why are Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed and Everwild Series S|X and PC exclusive? Why is Psychonauts 2 only fulfilling it’s PS4 version, with no PS5 port?

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you to admit, but you aren’t going to be playing Fallout or TES on a PlayStation ever again. Well, until GamePass comes to the platform.

futurama78

Banned
So why haven’t Halo, Forza, Gears, Sea of Thieves or Ori come to PlayStation? Why are Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Avowed and Everwild Series S|X and PC exclusive? Why is Psychonauts 2 only fulfilling it’s PS4 version, with no PS5 port?

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you to admit, but you aren’t going to be playing Fallout or TES on a PlayStation ever again. Well, until GamePass comes to the platform.
Isn’t it like conflict of interest and anti consumer? MS lurved paid exclusives tho and they need to sell systems so like shit

Top Bottom