• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Plot twist. Konami buys Sega. Locks al Sega IP’s in the Hideo Kojima Memorial Dungeon in Konami HQ, pulling them out only for new pachinko machines.
Plot twist The Sequel:

Stadia buys everything.

source.gif

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Its obvious that MS has so far failed in Asia but this seems like a pretty big admittance of that and in a public way, from MS here.
I could see some scenario where MS lets sega run everything for xbox in asia under a partnership with xbox gaining by 1. Sales in asia of course, and 2. Japanese content for the rest of its base.

Not gonna lie it is a pretty far fetched idea that seems too complicated to be real. But if were looking for huge, its pretty huge. Maybe theres a blue console to go with that controller lol.

Still say some smaller thing tied to a few games on gp is likely whats gonna happen.

Manji Uzuki

Thinking about it I don't rule it out. They had a good relation since the Dreamcast days and when Sega went 3rd party they published a ton of exclusives on Xbox... And recently they things like PSO2 happened.

Now if the rumors are true and Sony was also looking into buying Sega or Bethesda I wonder whats going to be their reaction.

Don't really care about Bethesda games but this kind of buy outs can change a lot the gaming landscape

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hope if Xbox is going to make another BIG buy it's something other than Sega. I don't follow anything about Sega and this thread is way too long to read through, but what does Sega even have that's relevant today? Not rhetorical it's an honest question and I'm not trying to put Sega down.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I hope if Xbox is going to make another BIG buy it's something other than Sega. I don't follow anything about Sega and this thread is way too long to read through, but what does Sega even have that's relevant today? Not rhetorical it's an honest question and I'm not trying to put Sega down.
Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Yakuza, Total War, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, Valkyria Chronicles, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Bayonetta, Vanquish.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They have IPs that aren't shooters.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sonic is still pretty relevant (new movie, Olympic games tie-ins, etc.)
Yakuza and Persona are games that most people have typically associated with the PlayStation brand\
Total War would be an excellent fit for Game Pass on PC
Phantasy Star is making a comeback
Streets of Rage just got a new revival game
the OG Xbox had things like Jet Set Radio Future, which would be awesome to see revived

But it seems like, most importantly, they have solid brand recognition and loyalty in Japan

CatLady

Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Yakuza, Total War, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Thank you. For me I DEFINITELY hope they buy something else if they're still trying to go big.

With 23 studios already though, I rather they go small and pick a few smaller but excellent studios they already have a good relationship with like Asobo and/or Bloober.

Zathalus

Recently? Sonic, Yakuza, Persona Series, and Total War off the top of my head.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

kinda in the same boat don’t really follow most of Sega new stuff but the thought of there old stuff coming back excites me. All these arcade ports and such....

Most of the sega stuff I buy now are the rereleases on switch and remakes like panzer dragon and streets of rage 4.

Also gives them an in into Japan.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Thank you. For me I DEFINITELY hope they buy something else if they're still trying to go big.

With 23 studios already though, I rather they go small and pick a few smaller but excellent studios they already have a good relationship with like Asobo and/or Bloober.
I'm fine either way I guess. Sega has history with Xbox. The first Xbox was basically the Dreamcast 2 after Sega exited the console business.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

You can rest easy knowing that Sega won't get bought and this thread was based off a 4chin shitpost.

CatLady

You can rest easy knowing that Sega won't get bought and this thread was based off a 4chin shitpost.

Oh that's good news. I saw this thread was like 20+ long and thought there must be some solid rumors beyond tales from the ass aka 4 chan.

A SEGA Arcade racing collection that is remastered would be incredible. Imagine an arcade perfect (or better) Daytona series that includes Scud Racer and others.

If gun games worked on current LCD/LED TVs, a SEGA shooter collection would be nuts!!!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They have tons of great IP's and I like the idea of Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast BC.

Stuart360

A SEGA Arcade racing collection that is remastered would be incredible. Imagine an arcade perfect (or better) Daytona series that includes Scud Racer and others.

If gun games worked on current LCD/LED TVs, a SEGA shooter collection would be nuts!!!
Yeah but why dont Sega do that anyway?. As a big fan of their arcade games, it sucks how they just dont seem bothered themselves.
Imo they could easliy sell arcade perfect ports of their sprite arcade games at $5 a pop, and up to $10 for arcade perfect ports of Daytona 2, Scud Race, etc.

2 franchises that will be much worse off if they leave where 99% of the fan base is for them.

Calm those salty tears, it's not like the devs are going to suddenly forget how to make games overnight.

And frankly, some of the best games Sega has done were when they worked with Microsoft. JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, GunValkyrie, SegaGT, NFL 2K5, Crazy Taxi 3...and there's a lot more.

IF Sega and Microsoft get in bed with each other...this would be a win for gamers, and it may let Sega go back to taking risks and making the games we love them for. And it would mean that Microsoft means business and is FINALLY starting to learn from its mistakes...two decades later.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
And there you have it. Told you so.

Yep. Anyone following Sega after their merger would know better.
Oh that's good news. I saw this thread was like 20+ long and thought there must be some solid rumors beyond tales from the ass aka 4 chan.
TBH Sega is doing it's best rn just porting their games over to literally everyone. VC/Virtua Fighter/Yakuza/Project Diva. Even if you don't like their games they have a game or IP for every genre and that is what is great about Sega the other being that they are one of the last Japanese devs that haven't fully become westernized. (cough Capcom)

LordCBH

Calm those salty tears, it's not like the devs are going to suddenly forget how to make games overnight.

Didn’t say they’d release bad games. But abandoning 99% of the people who bought your games and made them big in the first place is pure retardation.

Edit: I AM hoping these get released for more people. Specifically persona cause Yakuza is already doing it.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Didn’t say they’d release bad games. But abandoning 99% of the people who bought your games and made them big in the first place is pure retardation.
Like Square did with Final Fantasy in the 90's. We know how that turned out. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom