• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan Court Rules Police Can Shoot Dogs For Barking, Moving When Officers Enter Ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

So you are saying all cops are assholes that will shoot dogs right away? Seems like you think higher of dogs than you do of cops.

Burden should be on the cops to make sure the chance of being 'threatened' by such an animal is at a minimum, especially with something that isn't an imminent danger like suspicion of drugs. I'm fine with the idea that if a cop's life is in danger from an animal, that cop could/should shoot. I'm not fine with executing a search warrant with loose dogs and the burden of proof being on the victims owners to show that the fucking dog didn't bark at the cops.

geomon

Ok, then I'll train my dog to attack police officers who enter my home. My dog should have the chance to fight for his life.

SeanTSC

We are so far past the point where Police Officers can be trusted to make good judgments in this country and insanely far past the point where we can trust the courts to not use this ruling as grounds for some extreme bullshit.

Anyone who would have faith in cops to not abuse something like this is crazy.

Ryzaki009

Barking is such a low bar too. My old dog used to bark to say hello. Bark then head in crotch/butt. Immediately.

Wolfe

Even if they kill a lot of dogs by mistake because they falsely thought the dog was an imminent threat, I still rather have that than an human getting hurt because they could not make that decision.

Why do you keep interjecting this false narrative of people getting hurt in the absence of the dog being killed? And if you're talking about the police officer then all I have to say if that part of their job is dealing with situations like that and they should have tools and techniques for dealing with those same situations without getting all shooty bang bang at everything that startles them.

Plus, we have no idea if the dogs were an actual threat or not (from our perspective reading about it on a message board), not shooting the dogs does not necessarily equal harmed humans.

Ok, then I'll train my dog to attack police officers who enter my home. My dog should have the chance to fight for his life.

Lol damn, no shit right? I mean obviously I hope no one actually does that, but yeah it's not like any dog is going to not bark at someone it doesn't know, especially if they enter the house (or "territory"). It's not like canine behaviour is not well established by now.

nampad

Why do you keep interjecting this false narrative of people getting hurt in the absence of the dog being killed? And if you're talking about the police officer then all I have to say if that part of their job is dealing with situations like that and they should have tools and techniques for dealing with those same situations without getting all shooty bang bang at everything that startles them.

Plus, we have no idea if the dogs were an actual threat or not (from our perspective reading about it on a message board), not shooting the dogs does not necessarily equal harmed humans.

Lol damn, no shit right? I mean obviously I hope no one actually does that, but yeah it's not like any dog is going to not bark at someone it doesn't know, especially if they enter the house (or "territory"). It's not like canine behaviour is not well established by now.

In what world am I interjecting a false narrative (yes, I mean the police officers when I say human)? The news headline and some poster make it seem like cops will go around shooting dogs from now on as soon as dogs bark or move. That is a false narrative!

The court says:
“The standard we set out today is that a police officer’s use of deadly force against a dog while executing a search warrant to search a home for illegal drug activity is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment when…the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety.”

You guys don't seem to think highly of cops. Just imagine the paperwork if they shoot a dog. I am sure the lazy as donut muncher won't shoot a dog if not necessary.

You don't think there is anything wrong with a cop murdering a pet? Are you fucking serious right now?

Murdering? If the animal poses a imminent threat, it is self defense.

some people have no empathy

...with animals.

In what world am I interjecting a false narrative (yes, I mean the police officers when I say human)? The news headline and some poster make it seem like cops will go around shooting dogs from now on as soon as dogs bark or move. That is a false narrative!

The court says:
“The standard we set out today is that a police officer’s use of deadly force against a dog while executing a search warrant to search a home for illegal drug activity is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment when…the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety.”

You guys don't seem to think highly of cops. Just imagine the paperwork if they shoot a dog. I am sure the lazy as donut muncher won't shoot a dog if not necessary.
Oh no not the paperwork!

Few people think cops go out puposefully looking for things to kill, that does change their shitty mindsets or itchy trigger fingers or systemic racism and blue line bullshit that backs them up when they fuck up

Dude you keep saying imminent threat

Barking and moving around is normal, that doesn't fucking pose a threat, certainly not one worth shooting a gun over

Jesus christ I can't believe I'm having this conversation

nampad

Dude you keep saying imminent threat

Barking and moving around is normal, that doesn't fucking pose a threat, certainly not one worth shooting a gun over

Jesus christ I can't believe I'm having this conversation

It's because I am actually quoting what the judge said and not what a clickbaity news headline said.

It's because I am actually quoting what the judge said and not what a clickbaity news headline said.
Your quote says while the dog poses an imminent threat

The dog in the case used didn't pose an imminent threat, unless you think barking and moving around is an imminent threat now?

In the original case that the OP is talking about the dog barked, lunged towards the officers and then retreated to the basement.

The officers followed it to the basement and shot it, what the fuck? The court upheld that the officers did nothing wrong

I don't care about the future or the precedent because you think this was justified

Amalthea

Banned
Why not just allow cops to bomb any block into the ground that ever so slightly annoys them? It's not that this would be something new for them.

Shadybiz

... lunged towards the officers and then retreated to the basement.

The officers followed it to the basement and shot it, what the fuck? The court upheld that the officers did nothing wrong

Right, this is what threw me for a loop. IF the dog had lunged in a spot that cornered the officers...yeah then I guess the shooting of THAT dog would probably be justified. But, the dog retreated into the basement, which makes it seem like the cops followed it down there just to shoot it, which is awful. Sounds like the dog just got scared and tried to run away.

And it seems like the other dog just turned its head and barked, and was shot for it. The fuck??

Seems like this could have been avoided by telling the residents to restrain their dogs.

Right, this is what threw me for a loop. IF the dog had lunged in a spot that cornered the officers...yeah then I guess the shooting of THAT dog would probably be justified. But, the dog retreated into the basement, which makes it seem like the cops followed it down there just to shoot it, which is awful. Sounds like the dog just got scared and tried to run away.

And it seems like the other dog just turned its head and barked, and was shot for it. The fuck??
This. It goes from "sort of justifiable" to "what the fuck" pretty quickly.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
1) I don't trust U.S. police officers to judge a dog's lethality or motives

2) I don't trust the U.S. legal system to properly punish a police officer

3) You can recover from a dog bite, you can't recover from getting shot

4) If a police officer shoots a dog before they were ever a threat you're also placing trauma on the owners of the pet

5) Police officers shooting dogs in the house of someone during a warrant is fucking insane

6) Civilians would never get away with shooting dogs because they barked or moved

I really wanted to see how he argued against these, interesting that this post was skipped.

Dali

Police officers can already shoot black people for the same reasons. Dogs didn't stand a goddamned chance.
There was an incident where a guy shot a neighbors dogs that were on his property and he posted about it on Facebook. The guy was fired almost immediately from his job. The outcry reached across the pond for him to be fired. Yet black people are being choked to death on video and shot while unarmed and these cowards get to keep their job. I think dogs still stand a better chance... at least at some sort of justice.

Sulik2

I hate dogs, but can't you just pepper spray a dog pretty easily? Don't blame them for shooting pitbulls though. Most are super nice, but if one is aggressive pitbulls can mess you up.

It almost sounds like open season. The dog moved a few inches and barked so it was a threat and it was shot. What dog WOULDN'T do that if a stranger barged into a house? That's the whole point of having a dog for many people.
I mean there have been plenty of cases of cops killing dogs for no good reason. One dog was shot because a cop wanted access to a yard but the dog was in it. So he shot it. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/utah-man-dog-shot-dead-police-files-2m-lawsuit-article-1.2405006
A policeman let his dog die from heatstroke and was also charged with other deaths. http://thefreethoughtproject.com/serial-dog-killer-cop-k9-deaths/
I mean it's just a symptom of the problem within the police of America. It's not hard to understand.

Police have really evolved into the biggest bitches ever; they can kill black people with no repercussions, they get offended easily, want military equipment and now they want to and have the right to kill dogs. It's way past time to reform this shit but it'll nevertheless happen.

Negator

So if I hated my neighbor in Michigan I could totally have his dog killed if I told the cops I thought he was a drug dealer.

Anjelus_

It was posted earlier and ignored, copying and pasting:

"A widely misrepresented federal court ruling deemed that the shooting of two dogs during the execution of a search warrant was justified, but it did not give police sweeping authority to shoot and kill dogs."

"No portion of the ruling could be construed as sweeping permission for all officers to shoot dogs for barking or moving. While the court sided with the defendants, members of the court established that a particular set of circumstances justified shooting the dogs, and repeatedly affirmed that in normal circumstances such an action does constitute a violation of the Fourth Amendment."

http://www.snopes.com/federal-judge-rule-police-can-legally-shoot-kill-dogs/

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In theory this is the right ruling from the courts. If you're attacked by a pitbull (that's been trained to be aggressive...this is key) while conducting a lawful search, the police should have the right to defend themselves.

Unfortunately so many of the stories about police interacting with dogs suggest that this won't be applied to a specific situation of an actual killer dog. There have been a few instances where it's like the cops went out of their way to kill it.

Kettch

They are needed to prevent evidence destruction. Euthanasia of animals for behaving like animals is pathetic tho.

No, it's not needed. Both the dog and human lives that are put at risk with no knock warrants are more important than preventing evidence destruction.

I don't know if this case had a no knock warrant or not, the article doesn't specify, but it still blows my mind that they're a thing that exists in a country where shooting and killing home intruders is not only acceptable but encouraged.

As far as I'm aware, a man is still sitting in jail going on 3 years now awaiting his capital murder trial after shooting at officers coming in through his bedroom window at 5:30am in a no knock raid looking for drugs. Of which none were found, it was a bogus tip off. No justice for him yet, but thankfully that was the end of no knock raids in that county, and it needs to be the end of them everywhere.

Oppo

It was posted earlier and ignored, copying and pasting:

"A widely misrepresented federal court ruling deemed that the shooting of two dogs during the execution of a search warrant was justified, but it did not give police sweeping authority to shoot and kill dogs."

"No portion of the ruling could be construed as sweeping permission for all officers to shoot dogs for barking or moving. While the court sided with the defendants, members of the court established that a particular set of circumstances justified shooting the dogs, and repeatedly affirmed that in normal circumstances such an action does constitute a violation of the Fourth Amendment."

http://www.snopes.com/federal-judge-rule-police-can-legally-shoot-kill-dogs/

nampad would still argue in favor of the misinterpretation.

which tells me either they have an axe to grind about dogs, have cop family, or are sociopathic.

Eumi

"Man, us police really have an image issue. What could we do?"

"Dog murder."

"I'm not sure that wi-"

"Dog murder."

Mivey

Does this also extend to police dogs? This could allow them to simply kill competing civilian dogs for territorial disputes. #AllBarksMatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom