• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan Court Rules Police Can Shoot Dogs For Barking, Moving When Officers Enter Ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

A federal court in Michigan ruled in favor of police shooting a dog that moves or barks when an officer enters a home.

NBC affiliate WCMH-TV reports the decision stems from an incident in Battle Creek, Michigan that left two dogs dead while police officers were executing a search warrant on a home looking for drugs.

Court documents show a petition was filed by Mark and Cheryl Brown after the pet owners say officers “unlawfully seized their property in violation of the Fourth Amendment when officers shot and killed two dogs” while executing the warrant in their home, according to WCMH.

Officers involved in the shooting testified that one of the couple’s pit bulls lunged at them before retreating to the basement of the home, according to court documents, where it was shot and killed. One of the officers then shot the second dog after turned and barked, WCMH reports.

The officer said in court that he shot the dog after he saw “blood coming out of numerous holes in the dog and…did not want to see it suffer so he put her out of her misery and fired the last shot,” according to WCMH.

In the court’s decision to defend the shooting of the animals, according to WMCH, Judge Eric Clay said that Mark and Cheryl Brown failed to provide evidence that their dogs did not lunge or bark at the officers.
“Given the totality of the circumstances and viewed from the perspective of an objectively reasonable officer, the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety,” Clay said in a statement to WCMH on his decision. “The standard we set out today is that a police officer’s use of deadly force against a dog while executing a search warrant to search a home for illegal drug activity is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment when…the dog poses an imminent threat to the officer’s safety.”
lhttp://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Michigan-Court-Rules-Police-Officers-Can-Shoot-Dogs-408525415.html

Unfortunate title. Home, not Ho.

The officer said in court that he shot the dog after he saw “blood coming out of numerous holes in the dog and…did not want to see it suffer so he put her out of her misery and fired the last shot,” according to WCMH.

that's because you fucking shot the dog you worthless scumbag.
if something like that happened to my pets they would have to kill me because nothing is stopping from going after them.

I love me some Michigan, but I'm just imagining how fucked it would be if my 9 lb papillon were shot like this there.

She only wants to smell you.

I remember a few years back when people were outraged that a Hawthorne cop shot a dog. Dog shootings will get more
white
outcry than a man walking away from the cop.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this but I value human lives way more than animals'.
Dogs barking and moving when someone new enters the house is a fucking common reaction, if police officers are scared for their life over a dog barking they need to fucking resign.

It's clear you don't have pets.

ThisGuy

I know I shouldn't feel this way. But my guts telling me that I'd shoot back they kill my dog.

Pig for a dog.

Effnine

I don't think there is anything wrong with this but I value human lives way more than animals'.

I take it you don't own or have never owned a pet you cared about?

While the intention behind the ruling might make sense, as we have seen in an abundance of cases (not just pets), cops will make any excuse to justify shooting and killing anything.

nampad

Dogs barking and moving when someone new enters the house is a fucking common reaction, if police officers are scared for their life over a dog barking they need to fucking resign.

It's clear you don't have pets.

And it is clear that you are a pet owner, so what?
The officers decides if the dog poses an imminent threat before they shoot. It is good that they are able to kill the dogs if they think so.

It's not a binary set. Shooting the dogs is not inherently saving a human life.

And it is also not a binary set that the officer will shoot the dog just when they are barking and/or moving. They can decide to do so if the dog poses an imminent threat beforehand.

I take it you don't own or have never owned a pet you cared about?

While the intention behind the ruling might make sense, as we have seen in an abundance of cases (not just pets), cops will make any excuse to justify shooting and killing anything.

Even if they kill a lot of dogs by mistake because they falsely thought the dog was an imminent threat, I still rather have that than an human getting hurt because they could not make that decision.

Do you value a search for drugs more than an animals' life? Because that's the actual value judgement going on here.

So you are saying all cops are assholes that will shoot dogs right away? Seems like you think higher of dogs than you do of cops.

Koomaster

A dog that doesn't move and/or bark when a new person enters a home is already dead.
What dog in the world doesn't do this?

And it is clear that you are a pet owner, so what?
The officers decides if the dog poses an imminent threat before they shoot. It is good that they are able to kill the dogs if they think so.

Is this your first introduction to police officers in the U.S.? Until the dog is on them biting they shouldn't be allowed to shoot.

It is clear I'm a pet owner, as for the so what though? So what I know how animals actually fucking act? So what I don't agree with gunning down pets for following their normal instincts? Sometimes my own dog barks and runs around when I open the door before he realizes it's me. Under this law my 20 pound dog who has never bit anyone outside my immediate family would be justifiably murdered under the law.

How do you not see that as an issue?

nampad

Is this your first introduction to police officers in the U.S.? Until the dog is on them biting they shouldn't be allowed to shoot.

It is clear I'm a pet owner, as for the so what though? So what I know how animals actually fucking act? So what I don't agree with gunning down pets for following their normal instincts? Sometimes my own dog barks and runs around when I open the door before he realizes it's me. Under this law my 20 pound dog who has never bit anyone outside my immediate family would be justifiably murdered under the law.

How do you not see that as an issue?

Because I don't value a dogs life that much. You rather have a cop injured (the dog is on him biting) before he is allowed to shoot a dog? I vastly disagree with that notion.

Because I don't value a dogs life that much. You rather have a cop injured (the dog is on him biting) before he is allowed to shoot a dog? I vastly disagree with that notion.

1) I don't trust U.S. police officers to judge a dog's lethality or motives

2) I don't trust the U.S. legal system to properly punish a police officer

3) You can recover from a dog bite, you can't recover from getting shot

4) If a police officer shoots a dog before they were ever a threat you're also placing trauma on the owners of the pet

5) Police officers shooting dogs in the house of someone during a warrant is fucking insane

6) Civilians would never get away with shooting dogs because they barked or moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom